Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,021 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report (2573 Views)

Malaysian Passenger Plane Shot Down In Donetsk By Ground To Air Missile / Iran Will Raze Tel Aviv To Ground If Israel Attacks: Ayatollah Khamenei / Gay Bar To Open Next To Mosque Near Ground Zero, New York. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 29, 2014
[size=15pt]Ghana’s once golden economy plunges to ‘ground zero’[/size]

Global Information Network | August 9, 2014

(GIN)–Expectations of a windfall from the discovery of oil have been dashed by a weakening cedi, with ordinary citizens feeling the pinch.

“Prices of ingredients in the market have been changing almost every month,” Anastancia Bokpe, who runs a restaurant in the east Legon suburb of the capital, complained to Reuters. “We are already in a severe hardship and things are only getting worse.”

Ghana’s modest oil-boom growth has been outpaced by its debt obligations to banks, global lenders and national governments. The government of President John Mahama finds itself in the unenviable position of signing for new loans and taking on new debt. The currency – the cedi – is now rated “the poorest performer in the global market.”

In less than a year, the cedi lost 30 percent of its value against the dollar, reported Bloomberg News.

“That’s the biggest drop in the world today after Somali shilling among more than 150 currencies tracked by Bloomberg. Its year-to-date loss of 21 percent is the worst in Africa.”

Finance Minister Seth Terkper, in his recent mid-year budget review, cited falling prices for coffee and gold and rising debt obligations.

“Ghana’s total public debt stock, which stood at US$19 billion at end-December 2012, increased to US$24 billion at the end of December 2013”, he confessed.

“Assuming economic growth of five to eight per cent a year, annual foreign debt payments are still projected to reach 15 per cent of government revenue by 2020 and over 20 per cent by the mid-2020s,” observed the UK-based Jubilee Debt Campaign.

To keep up with the payments, Ghana has borrowed from the World Bank and IMF, private lenders and foreign governments – all of whom demand an onerous rate of interest. In May, besieged by citizen protests, President Mahama promised that Ghana would adopt a “home grown” stabilization policy rather than an IMF financial assistance program with spending cuts and reduced public sector wages. That pledge, it seems, could not be met.

Accepting an IMF loan erases all achievements from previous years, warned Afro-China academic, Dr Lloyd Amoah.

“Once we go to the IMF and conform to its policy prescriptions, the final nail will have been driven in the (past president John) Kufuor’s legacy… it is all but gone… in effect we [are] back to economic ground zero,” he wrote on his Facebook page.

Speaking recently to a summit of Young African Leaders, President Obama said there was a legitimate discussion to be heard around debt forgiveness.

A proposal to cancel the trillions in debt owed by Ghana and other African nations may be coming up before the Group of Seven rich nations, he said.

“I think there’s genuine openness to how can we help make sure that countries are not saddled with debts that may have been squandered by past leaders, but that now hamstring countries, making them unable to get out from under the yoke of those debts,” Obama said.

Critics, such as the Jubilee Debt Campaign, insist on 100 percent cancellation of Africa’s debt, and to switch to a system of grants for poor countries, rather than loans.

http://www.frostillustrated.com/2014/ghanas-once-golden-economy-plunges-to-ground-zero/

1 Like

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by ROCKJ1(m): 1:41am On Aug 29, 2014
Thank God we didn't join them in knocking of zeros from our own currency value.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Dreal1247: 2:04am On Aug 29, 2014
Our squanderous leaders should learn from what is happenn in Ghana. A mention is made of the former president. I pray they should not as well be mentioned for wrong decisions and indebtedness.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 2:53am On Aug 29, 2014
Ghanians are arrogantly stuuupid to say the least. The warning signals has always been there and even any blind man will know that the ghanian economy would take a serious fall but each time the issue was raised by some sensible ghanians ,the ppl always Labelled them prophet of doom and kept using nigeria as a comparison that nigeria as rich as she is ,is still having problem .I remember telling some of lecturers in ghana that their currency is too strong for their economy and that sooner or later the fake castles they are building will collapse only for them to reply me by shouting osei ghana meaning great ghana . Their politicians are even worse than nigeria politicians ,if nigerians are calling gej clueless, I don't know what word should be used for mahaman maybe father clueless .now they have to go back to square one and begin all over again.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by eleojo23: 4:50am On Aug 29, 2014
Hope they get back on their feet again.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by jeffizy(m): 5:18am On Aug 29, 2014
While I sympathize with the GH people, I will still like to point out that the fault came from their famed re-denomination of 2006/2007.
It was a major paint coating of rottenness by the Government.
Governments’ concerns about credibility, and the effect of currencies on national identity rather than the systematic reduction of inflation has finally caught up with them.

One area of reform should be to reduce the size of the informal economy. The informal economy in Ghana is significantly larger than the formal economy. Very few people in the country transact business by using cheques. Even government transactions such as registration fees or payment of license fees or court fines are done in cash.
Nigeria should open their eyes lest they fall into the same cesspit. If we ain't there already.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Nobody: 5:23am On Aug 29, 2014
I don't understand all these economic jargons ; can U pls help me throw more light..
texaco1: Ghanians are arrogantly stuuupid to say the least. The warning signals has always been there and even any blind man will know that the ghanian economy would take a serious fall but each time the issue was raised by some sensible ghanians ,the ppl always Labelled them prophet of doom and kept using nigeria as a comparison that nigeria as rich as she is ,is still having problem .I remember telling some of lecturers in ghana that their currency is too strong for their economy and that sooner or later the fake castles they are building will collapse only for them to reply me by shouting osei ghana meaning great ghana . Their politicians are even worse than nigeria politicians ,if nigerians are calling gej clueless, I don't know what word should be used for mahaman maybe father clueless .now they have to go back to square one and begin all over again.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by ejiro2130(m): 6:14am On Aug 29, 2014
...I don't kw why people say GEJ is clueless
Cause the guy in ghana is worst

Imagine a president looking to borrow 120 million dollars to import sanitary pads??
Now tell me that's not clueless??

I wander what will be left of ghana in a few years time when CHINESE are stealing all their gold and killing their citizen
Nigerians are bunkering oil seriously......oooh Ghana
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by ejiro2130(m): 6:30am On Aug 29, 2014
jeffizy: While I sympathize with the GH people, I will still like to point out that the fault came from their famed re-denomination of 2006/2007.
Governments’ concerns about credibility, and the effect of currencies on national identity rather than the systematic reduction of inflation has finally caught up with them.

One area of reform should be to reduce the size of the informal economy. The informal economy in Ghana is significantly larger than the formal economy. Very few people in the country transact business by using cheques. Even government transactions such as registration fees or payment of license fees or court fines are done in cash.
Nigeria should open their eyes lest they fall into the same cesspit. If we ain't there already.

This has nothing to do with re domination of the cedis
Ghana economy solely depend on Gold trading, the price of gold crashed a year
The government over spent it budget around the same period by 50% jst to rig elections
60% of miners in the country are without jobs that's lyk half the population of the
country
The clueless government is seriously increasing taxes,

Seriously nigerians should really start appreciating GEJ
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by jeffizy(m): 6:34am On Aug 29, 2014
ejiro2130:

The government over spent it budget around the same period by 50% jst to rig elections
60% of miners in the country are without jobs that's lyk half the population of the
country

Guess you are an insider.
Good to read from your angle.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2014
Raymondenyi: I don't understand all these economic jargons ; can U pls help me throw more light..
go and consult ur economics text book and ur teacher ,if your brains says it is all jargons . And please don't qUote me again. Kindly discUss with someone else.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by ejiro2130(m): 6:37am On Aug 29, 2014
jeffizy:
Guess you are an insider.
Good to read from your angle.

Yes I am in the western region of ghana

1 Like

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2014
jeffizy: While I sympathize with the GH people, I will still like to point out that the fault came from their famed re-denomination of 2006/2007.

u need to have lived in ghana to understand whatt really went wrong. I stayed there throughout the time of atta mills and I saw how the Chinese were doing and how corruption rose astronomicaly. They kept importing everything and gradually the manufacturing companies started folding up.and at the same time was borrowing money in huge sum all on the assumption that their oil will solve the lending problem. They even used their oli as a collateral at some point . With all due respect to ghanians , nigerians are smarter than that.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by JANK23H(m): 6:46am On Aug 29, 2014
texaco1: u need to have lived in ghana to understand whatt really went wrong. I stayed there throughout the time of atta mills and I saw how the Chinese were doing and how corruption rose astronomicaly. They kept importing everything and gradually the manufacturing companies started folding up.and at the same time was borrowing money in huge sum all on the assumption that their oil will solve the lending problem. They even used their oli as a collateral at some point . With all due respect to ghanians , nigerians are smarter than that.
This is quite revealing.I thought most of the companies that left Nigeria went to Ghana like we were told.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 7:02am On Aug 29, 2014
JANK23H: This is quite revealing.I thought most of the companies that left Nigeria went to Ghana like we were told.
during the time of kuffor ,many companies went and established in ghana .kuffour belongs to npp . He did some wonderful things in ghana and his party had wonderful plans . Immidiately the opposition won which is the ndc ,they didn't continue with what kuffour laid or started ,they simply threw it out of the window and secondly the ndc president then was a very weak and sick man. His name was john evans atta mills although he was a good man. The decay started creeping in gradually , before I left ghana I told them that by the time I visit that place again ,most houses will be using generators ,they thought I was joking but even before I left their power supply and generation had been highly unstable and even in accra power was been rotated,and like someone told me the situation has even worsened .the blame was first put on nigeria that a gas pipe line had problems but when the problem persisted ppl started asking the govt questions . I think only a ghanian can corroborate what I am saying on anyone living in ghana . Believe it or not many ghanians even as of last year wanted to travel to nigeria and start doing laborer work due to the hardship there. Bros,visit ghana and see what I am talking about
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by iamord(m): 7:45am On Aug 29, 2014
texaco1: during the time of kuffor ,many companies went and established in ghana .kuffour belongs to npp . He did some wonderful things in ghana and his party had wonderful plans . Immidiately the opposition won which is the ndc ,they didn't continue with what kuffour laid or started ,they simply threw it out of the window and secondly the ndc president then was a very weak and sick man. His name was john evans atta mills although he was a good man. The decay started creeping in gradually , before I left ghana I told them that by the time I visit that place again ,most houses will be using generators ,they thought I was joking but even before I left their power supply and generation had been highly unstable and even in accra power was been rotated,and like someone told me the situation has even worsened .the blame was first put on nigeria that a gas pipe line had problems but when the problem persisted ppl started asking the govt questions . I think only a ghanian can corroborate what I am saying on anyone living in ghana . Believe it or not many ghanians even as of last year wanted to travel to nigeria and start doing laborer work due to the hardship there. Bros,visit ghana and see what I am talking about

Seriously. Its Not as Bad As people tend to label it. And. People tend to make. Politics out of the case.. although I must say all this could have been avoided by keeping npp in power. I keep telling people, there is no free food in free town. And a lot of them should have known that by now and work to get better life. But some Just sit down and Complain.. I pity for those that don't really have any foundation to stand on.. Someone. Any. Ghanaian that wants to come and do laborer work in nigeria , has been a laborer in ghana, so they should stop sugar coating the issue like its. That bad
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by iamord(m): 7:49am On Aug 29, 2014
texaco1: u need to have lived in ghana to understand whatt really went wrong. I stayed there throughout the time of atta mills and I saw how the Chinese were doing and how corruption rose astronomicaly. They kept importing everything and gradually the manufacturing companies started folding up.and at the same time was borrowing money in huge sum all on the assumption that their oil will solve the lending problem. They even used their oli as a collateral at some point . With all due respect to ghanians , nigerians are smarter than that.

I. Tell U ghanaians are smarter than that. The NDC just don't have a plan for ghana and that was the result. My problem with majority of ghanaians was shutting their eyes and being tribalistic and voting ndc in. You must also know that ghana juust clocked middle income.. So its prone to shake up.. But the. Present government did not care..and are extremely corrupt. I. Know ghana. Will get out. Pretty soon and move on
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by iamord(m): 7:54am On Aug 29, 2014
ejiro2130:

country

Ejiro it seem u have extensive knowlege about the government situation. U best explain the issue.. I must say this seems to be ghanas most corrupt regime. Its a clueless, corrupt, religious and tribal government.. What koufour did for Ghana. If they continued ghana will. Be flying high by now..
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 8:08am On Aug 29, 2014
iamord:

I. Tell U ghanaians are smarter than that. The NDC just don't have a plan for ghana and that was the result. My problem with majority of ghanaians was shutting their eyes and being tribalistic and voting ndc in. You must also know that ghana juust clocked middle income.. So its prone to shake up.. But the. Present government did not care..and are extremely corrupt. I. Know ghana. Will get out. Pretty soon and move on
jj rawling gave repeated warnings about ndc goverment corruption and warned ghana ins despite the fact that he rawling is the founder of that party . All ghanians kept shouting was e dey be keke. Now rawlings has been vindicated . Nana ado dankwa was their chance ,but imagine ppl saying he is too short to be their president. Well goodluck to ghana
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Rikidony(m): 8:22am On Aug 29, 2014
ITS PROBABLY A TOUGH TIME FOR GHANIANS I HOPE THE CAN COME OUT OF THIS CRISIS AND GET BETTER
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by BlackBaron: 8:42am On Aug 29, 2014
Unfortunate. Got a soft spot for Ghana.

Hope they bounce back.
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by iamord(m): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2014
texaco1: jj rawling gave repeated warnings about ndc goverment corruption and warned ghana ins despite the fact that he rawling is the founder of that party . All ghanians kept shouting was e dey be keke. Now rawlings has been vindicated . Nana ado dankwa was their chance ,but imagine ppl saying he is too short to be their president. Well goodluck to ghana

Now u sounding like a ghanaian.. Lol.. U r very right, but don't even call that rawlings cos he also has hand in this issue.. Majority of the ghanaians asked for what they seeing now, when I heard someone say they prefer a Dog to rule ghana than nana addo.. I knew that was it.. Any person that was in ghana in koufours regieme will attest to how ghana was fast developing.. But triblastic people were just ranting around.. Now ndc is in and they are complaining. Ghanaians have themselves to blame.. One other thing that annoys me is the way people depend on God and church as a solution.. Sitting close to tv sets always watching tv joshua instead of getting up to work the country.. Gosh! What kind of people do we have In africa!! Am so pissed! I pray to become president one day

2 Likes

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 29, 2014
texaco1: go and consult ur economics text book and ur teacher ,if your brains says it is all jargons . And please don't qUote me again. Kindly discUss with someone else.
I think; it 'll do u greaat good; to consult ur dictionary n check the various meaaning of jargons; wen u done. U can come bacj n reply me!
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by texaco1: 11:43am On Aug 29, 2014
iamord:

Now u sounding like a ghanaian.. Lol.. U r very right, but don't even call that rawlings cos he also has hand in this issue.. Majority of the ghanaians asked for what they seeing now, when I heard someone say they prefer a Dog to rule ghana than nana addo.. I knew that was it.. Any person that was in ghana in koufours regieme will attest to how ghana was fast developing.. But triblastic people were just ranting around.. Now ndc is in and they are complaining. Ghanaians have themselves to blame.. One other thing that annoys me is the way people depend on God and church as a solution.. Sitting close to tv sets always watching tv joshua instead of getting up to work the country.. Gosh! What kind of people do we have In africa!! Am so pissed! I pray to become president one day
I watched their presidential debate and out of the 4 of them ,only ndoum spoke with knowledge about the economic problems of ghana and solutions to it,next was nana ado dankwa . I think the lesson to be learnt here is for any country to get it right economically they first need to get it right politically. Clinton spent 8years and the us economy boomed only for bush to reverse it all withing four years
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Truckpusher(m): 1:52am On Aug 30, 2014
AllahCock: The ediots just knocked of 2 zeros from their currency without nothing to back it.

Ghanaians are real charlie kung fools
They do not understand simple Economics especially when you have Western Shylocks all over the African economy.

Whoever sold this idea to the Ghanaians must be an agent of the West grin

This lesson was learnt by IBB and co in the 80s and OBJ as a strong leader refused to buy the idea when Soludo the former CBN Governor brought it to the table

Long Live Nigerian leaders even if they are corrupt, there are some economic trap they've refused to fall into.

The West will screw Ghana's economy nicely - maybe we are about to witness another round of 'Ghana must go' exodus.

Good morning my loudmouthed fellow West Africans. grin

Isala chi.......According to my Igbo brothers grin
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by iamord(m): 3:51am On Aug 30, 2014
texaco1: I watched their presidential debate and out of the 4 of them ,only ndoum spoke with knowledge about the economic problems of ghana and solutions to it,next was nana ado dankwa . I think the lesson to be learnt here is for any country to get it right economically they first need to get it right politically. Clinton spent 8years and the us economy boomed only for bush to reverse it all withing four years

Well i must say ndoum is an intellect .. Too bad his party has been relegated to become a minority, I wish that after k4 addo came in then ndoum.. Those are men with something upstairs . The clinton. - bush rule is similar to that of. Ghana.. Come 2016 I believe nobody will teach ghanaians to Get it Right This time
Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Obrafour(m): 4:55am On Aug 30, 2014
Truckpusher: They do not understand simple Economics especially when you have Western Shylocks all over the African economy.

Whoever sold this idea to the Ghanaians must be an agent of the West grin

This lesson was learnt by IBB and co in the 80s and OBJ as a strong leader refused to buy the idea when Soludo the former CBN Governor brought it to the table

Long Live Nigerian leaders even if they are corrupt, there are some economic trap they've refused to fall into.

The West will screw Ghana's economy nicely - maybe we are about to witness another round of 'Ghana must go' exodus.

Good morning my loudmouthed fellow West Africans. grin

Isala chi.......According to my Igbo brothers grin
Yet, Ghana remains the hub of stability in west africa where millions of your compatriots seek shelter from your failing state.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Truckpusher(m): 5:06am On Aug 30, 2014
Obrafour: Yet, Ghana remains the hub of stability in west africa where millions of your compatriots seek shelter from your failing state.
You are it getting all wrong,Your so-called stability will soon collapse as soon the economy hits the gutters.

Nigeria isn't failing but passing through a dangerous phase that every nation that aims for greatness may have to go through ,in fact sometimes they will have to go to war and after then comes the balance. A balance that your country men have not even started the journey, but we've gone far and even about to pay the price for aspiring for greatness.

We are actually buying everything in your tiny country,setting up businesses that your wretched country men can't dream of and come 20 yrs from now you'd be working for Nigerians and this is why you'll remain a banana republic because your biggest neighbor is about to have a population and economic growth that'd swallow your tiny colonial village you call country. grin

Mark my words ,your country is doomed because like the locust we'll swallow you up. tongue

4 Likes

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Obrafour(m): 5:23am On Aug 30, 2014
Truckpusher: You are it getting all wrong,Your so-called stability will soon collapse as soon the economy hits the gutters.

Nigeria isn't failing but passing through a dangerous phase that every nation that aims for greatness may have to go through ,in fact sometimes they will have to go to war and after then comes the balance. A balance that your country men have not even started the journey, but we've gone far and even about to pay the price for aspiring for greatness.

We are actually buying everything in your tiny country,setting up businesses that your wretched country men can't dream of and come 20 yrs from now you'd be working for Nigerians and this is why you'll remain a banana republic because your biggest neighbor is about to have a population and economic growth that'd swallow your tiny colonial village you call country. grin

Mark my words ,your country is doomed because like the locust we'll swallow you up. tongue
hahahahaaaaa!!!!!!! passing phase indeed, I guess you will also flee with civilians from boko haram attacks and declare "tactical redrawal" and find yourself disarmed in Cameroon just like what your mumu army did, for what its worth, unlike you, I am not using a generator.

2 Likes

Re: Ghana’s Once Golden Economy Plunges To ‘ground Zero’ - New Report by Truckpusher(m): 6:08am On Aug 30, 2014
Obrafour: hahahahaaaaa!!!!!!! passing phase indeed, I guess you will also flee with civilians from boko haram attacks and declare "tactical redrawal" and find yourself disarmed in Cameroon just like what your mumu army did, for what its worth, unlike you, I am not using a generator.
You can amuse yourself all you want,I just hope you won't grind your teeth till you choke when your grandchildren come running back to you complaining about how the Nigerians are enslaving them in their fatherland. grin

With your constant power supply your economy is still in shambles, that alone speaks volume of your mentally lazy leaders and the rats you lots breed in that our colony. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Royal Baby Girl. Kate Middleton Give Birth To A Baby Girl. / Who Else Noticed This In Battle Field In This Russian-ukraine War? / This Is The Game Iran Played: A Very Smart One.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.