Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master (29841 Views)

Buhari Presented With His National ID Card (Photos) / Kachikwu Sanctions NNPC Staff Over Scandalous Project Exposed By PREMIUM TIMES / ”APC To Release Scandalous Documentary Against President Jonathan" FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by oskaaay(m): 3:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
The new Nigerian National Identity Cards launched Thursday by President Goodluck Jonathan, with branded logo of the American firm, MasterCard, have sparked outrage across the country amid fears of serious security and economic breach, with many Nigerians calling for an immediate stoppage of the deal.
Nigerians expressed shock and fury Thursday at how the Nigerian Government, through the National Identity Management Commission, NIMC, would surrender a symbol of national sovereignty and pride to a foreign commercial organisation by not only sharing the biometrics of 170 million Nigerian to the firm but by also allowing the firm to boldly engrave its insignia on the IDs.

Many Nigerians raised the alarm over the implications of the agreement in an age that has seen intense data surveillance by the National Security Agency of the United States of America, Mastercard’s home country.

One commentator said allowing MasterCard’s emblem on the Nigerian National ID Card could only compare to the trans-Atlantic slave trade abolished in the nineteenth century.

“The new ID card with a MasterCard logo does not represent an identity of a Nigerian. It simply represents a stamped ownership of a Nigerian by an American company,” said Shehu Sani of the Civil Rights Congress. “It is reminiscent of the logo pasted on the bodies of African salves transported across the Atlantic.”

At the launching Thursday, the Nigerian Identity Management Commission said the cards, designed to also allow handlers effect payments and other financial transactions, will be issued to 13 million Nigerians.

At the completion of the pilot phase of the program, 100 million cards would have been issued, the commission said, describing the move as the “broadest financial inclusion program in Africa”.

The cards will be issued to Nigerians, 16 years and older, and are expected to serve as voting cards in the 2019 elections.

President Jonathan, who flagged off the rollout, praised the outcome of a partnership between NIMC, MasterCard and Access Bank.

“The card is not only a means of certifying your identity, but also a personal database repository and payment card, all in your pocket,” Mr. Jonathan said.
Under the partnership, the NIMC is the project leader, MasterCard provides payments technology, while Unified Payment Services Limited is payments processor. Cryptovision is the Public Key Infrastructure and Trust Services Provider, and the pilot issuing bank is Access Bank Plc.

The Identity Management Commission said it was working with other government agencies to harmonize all identity databases including the Driver’s License, Voter Registration, Health Insurance, Tax, SIM and the National Pension Commission into a single, shared services platform.

For a National ID card project jinxed for decades due to corruption and mismanagement, Nigerians welcomed what seemed like a breakthrough this time, several years after the first attempt at a national Identity Card project ended in fiasco.

But the optimism waned after it became clear Thursday the new ID cards, a key instrument recognised by the federal constitution, will not only bear the Coat of Arms and the Nigerian colours of green white green, but also the logo of MasterCard, a profit-driven private entity.

“Nigeria’s colours and coast of arms is what should be there. It is not an opportunity for advert for promoting companies,” said Eze Onyekpere, Lead Director Centre for Social Justice. “As far as we are concerned it cannot stand. It is not worth it if that’s what they have done.”

Beyond national pride, many Nigerians spoke of the dire economic and security implications for Nigeria.

“Clearly, there are National Security implication,” said Nasir El-Rufai, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory. “All these data go to the American payment platform.”

Mr. El-Rufai recalled that Malaysia was the first country to implement a general multipurpose ID card and that the country did so with its own resources and technology to protect its citizens.

Economically, analysts say, the deal also hands over all adult Nigerians as direct and compulsory customers of MasterCard.

The US-based firm appeared so elated at the outcome of the contract that by Thursday, it hired a media consultant, African Media Agency, to publicise the landmark deal all over the world.

MasterCard could not be reached immediately for comments.

Details of the partnership between the NIMC and MasterCard were unclear as of Friday.
A former senior government official, well briefed about the process, said the Nigerian government may have adopted the Public Private Partnership model for the project, with MasterCard underwriting part of the cost of the deal.

Culled from http://prowlingeagles.com/blog/scandalous-outrage-nigeria-government-brands-national-id-card-mastercards-logo/

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS AS A NIGERIAN?

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
Inasmuch I know this is coming from the APC, it's quite unfortunate

check this hehehe:
https://www.nairaland.com/1878878/she-wants-take-care-me

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by eunisam: 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
what can u do to please Nigerians?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2014
Good money has impaired some people's cognitive reasoning and any attempt to reverse this anomaly will be robustly resisted.

Just watch as this story unfolds and you will be shocked by the quantum of corruption that will trail this" JOKE".

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by undeniableGrace(m): 3:39pm On Aug 29, 2014
Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.

20 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2014
I foresaw this happening

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by OgologoDimkpa: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2014
If the merits will outweigh the demerits, so be it.
Naija must move forward.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nosurrenda: 3:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace: Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.

Gbam!!!!
Bros take this my 50m likes take buy beer.

19 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ZKOSOSO(m): 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2014
Yungwizzzy: Inasmuch I know this is coming from the APC, it's quite unfortunate that our federal government just sold out Nigeria to master card/US

check this hehehe:
https://www.nairaland.com/1878878/she-wants-take-care-me
I see nothing wrong in this arrangement! Mastercard is global brand in the payment system industry.
OP is likely a pro-Islam with premordial hate for USA/Israel and their corporations who are hypocrically quick to collect AIDs and military assistance from the same nations. Yeye!!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Pwitikween(f): 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2014
If we must neglect the fact that America as a whole is so much into the habit of making themselves lords and killing the sovereignty of a nation, we should not also forget that our leaders will stop at nothing and that includes selling the entire nation into slavery to amass their wealth. Whether we like it or yes, something is obviously fishy. Why will a national identity carry the symbol of another country's organisation? We gotta be wise..this is Nigeria dealing with America!!!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by ryom(m): 3:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
I marvel at these comments. Its either a display of utter naivety or stupendous ignorance. Where do people think the data base of their electronic records are held anyway? Do you have a mobile phone (especially a smartphone), an email address, an ATM card and the like? Do you hold an international passport? Travelled abroad, especially to any of the so called first world country? Drive a car manufactured 2010 and beyond? Then they already have the records. This card favours you by consolidating your information in one place at your point of access; but them? They already have the information if you have done any of the bit I mentioned earlier! Looks like a lot of folks are in deep slumber!! Its too late to want to be anonymous. Like a boss of mine once said, ''its not about being raped (figuratively), its about making the experience as pleasant as possible.''

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by overhypedsteve(m): 4:02pm On Aug 29, 2014
I never supported this foolishness.
One more poor policy and i am changing my signature

5 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by undeniableGrace(m): 4:44pm On Aug 29, 2014
[quote
author=undeniableGrace]Sentiments should be put out of this. All around
the world, key business modules work best on Public private
partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private
hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the
operators for thinking really smart.[/quote]

The OPS seems selfish in all sentimental analysis made. They should understand that good ideas have never worked because Government money is involved and this encourages corruption which kills the deal even before it commences. Bringing in investors to partner on projects removes or minimises corruption and this makes the project to thrive. Nigeria has no system of her own to perfect the act of data storage and maximizing it's vast opportunities; so there is the need to use established brands that are sellable and acceptable worldwide and that is why I think Mastercard was brought in and offcourse they will patent the technology by inserting their logo. This is all business sense and I think for once they got it right. I am on a project of same ideology and this gives me energy to fight on because it shows the west can't wish Nigeria a way. once again congratulations

4 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by undeniableGrace(m): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
Nosurrenda:

Gbam!!!!
Bros take this my 50m likes take buy beer.

Thanks Bro. It shows finally some people are thinking in actual business sense. I wish this project well and pray that they maximize all the opportunities that it brings. Nigeria will survive.

11 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by RedEboe(m): 4:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
In that case OP, kindly close all your Facebook, Twitter or Gmail accounts, afterall they have your data too. 1diot

16 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 4:48pm On Aug 29, 2014
Which outrage? How does the opinion of 2 or 3 people interviewed in the report amount to outrage? Those who dont like the new ID system should simply GO AND DIE. Nonsense!

22 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Ogonimilitant(m): 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea
it does not change anything. this is a company
well known abroad. they will deliver the job.

Abokis are afraid that Nigeria will take this to
determine the true population of Abokis. That
is why they are are kicking against this wonderful idea.

Give it hundred percent FG finance and see if the project will
see the light of the day.

in fact our census should be handled by foreigners,only then we can see result.
GEJ has the answer to Nigeria problem
GEJ till Jesus comes

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ok

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
ryom: I marvel at these comments. Its either a display of utter naivety or stupendous ignorance. Where do people think the data base of their electronic records are held anyway? Do you have a mobile phone (especially a smartphone), an email address, an ATM card and the like? Do you hold an international passport? Travelled abroad, especially to any of the so called first world country? Drive a car manufactured 2010 and beyond? Then they already have the records. This card favours you by consolidating your information in one place at your point of access; but them? They already have the information if you have done any of the bit I mentioned earlier! Looks like a lot of folks are in deep slumber!! Its too late to want to be anonymous. Like a boss of mine once said, ''its not about being raped (figuratively), its about making the experience as pleasant as possible.''
You don't get the point. Mastercard is an American company, holding the data of Nigerians. The difference between is all you mentioned (Facebook, email, et al) is that those are optional but is the Nigerian ID optional?

PS: Linking bio-metric details to financial details is a terrible idea.

22 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Ogonimilitant(m): 5:22pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:
You don't get the point. Mastercard is an American company, holding the data of Nigerians. The difference between is all you mentioned (Facebook, email, et al) is that those are optional but is the Nigerian ID optional?

Who told you that crap. you sound like an illiterate Aboki. so having their
master card logo means the have all your data?

7 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Ogonimilitant(m): 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2014
Seun why did you censor the word Abokii to northerner
Is Ab*ki a bad word? i hard it means friend.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by PresidentAde(m): 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:

I think U have a point here........"National Security" could be threatened or high-jacked....

...Giving 6/10 mark to the FG for a good initative......... I THINK WE NEED MORE EDUCATION ON THIS NEW NATIONAL I-D CARD PROGRAME especially when it has a lot to do with our finance............

3 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by naijaking1: 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
Outrage, what outrage.?
Congratulations to GEJ for having the guts to lay the foundation stone of Nigeria ' s future economic and security development based on data.
Only criminal s, terrorists, and people who don't want accurate demographical information about Nigeria have this so - called outrage. Majority of Nigerians are happy for the upward trajectory of our development.
Congratulations Oga GEJ!

9 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 5:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
Ogonimilitant: Who told you that crap. you sound like an illiterate Aboki. so having their
master card logo means the have all your data?
I'm pretty sure i know more than you.

Do you think the mastercard logo is just for design?

7 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by naijaking1: 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
AZeD1:

It sad that quasi-educated Nigerians hide under the umbrella of national patriotism to hide their real motive of fighting GEJ no matter what he does.
You are sad America will help us get accurate head count and data, but you don't mind their airplanes, cars and computers. They already have all the information about Nigeria whether you like it or not.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 29, 2014
I see nothing wrong with this arrangement except placing MasterCard's logo on the card. It would have sufficed to use MasterCard as a 'technical partner' without placing its commercial trademark on the cards.

It's a bit awkward to have a commercial logo on a national identity card of all things.

30 Likes 8 Shares

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by AZeD1(m): 6:15pm On Aug 29, 2014
naijaking1:

It sad that quasi-educated Nigerians hide under the umbrella of national patriotism to hide their real motive of fighting GEJ no matter what he does.
You are sad America will help us get accurate head count and data, but you don't mind their airplanes, cars and computers. They already have all the information about Nigeria whether you like it or not.
Dude you are the 'olodo' here. How do you get accurate count when you are only registering from 16 and above?

4 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by brainpower(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2014
It is a known fact in this country that if GEJ coughs some people will say GEJ is sick and not fit to lead the nation, if he doesn't cough they say he is enjoying our money and that's why he isn't coughing. Anyway, back to the topic, in as much as I am in support of using indegenous companies in this country I think for now we don't have things like that on ground or shld we have waited till when we have them to have unified identity in this country? And just like somebody commented above, the ATMyou use has your identity, the phone you use has your identity, even when you go on google and type anything it is stored on their database. It was a nice suggestion by the OP but he didnt have to politicize it or blow it out of proportion. This is a step in the right direction and I believe with time it will be modifed.

7 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 29, 2014
The US spies on even their closest allies. And the FG somehow contrived to foolishly hand over delicate information to them. The Americans must be laughing at us now. China even outlawed windows 8.

11 Likes

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by Samiceman: 6:27pm On Aug 29, 2014
Mbf
Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by kaboninc(m): 6:28pm On Aug 29, 2014
In as much as we really need a national identity management system in place, we must be careful with who holds our data. If MasterCard is involved, what are the privacy policies in place? These are questions we should be asking. I think this was the same reason RIM had with Qatar, India, Saudi Arabia and co.

1 Like

Re: SCANDALOUS: Outrage In Nigeria As Government Brands National ID Card With Master by TheBigUrban2: 6:29pm On Aug 29, 2014
undeniableGrace: Sentiments should be put out of this. All around the world, key business modules work best on Public private partnerships with investors putting in funds for the project. Private hands are far better in handling government projects. Kudos to the operators for thinking really smart.

You are gracefully foolish.

Tools like you do not understand the danger of putting all your trust in private companies that will put profit before your welfare.

Secondly, why would a foreign company's logo be on a nigerian document? Is it done in other countries?

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

CCT Vs SARAKI: Numbers Of Senators Reduced S.R / Remote, Immediate Causes Of Crimes, Insecurity And Instability In Nigeria / Lagos-ibadan Express Road Work In Progress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.