Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,214 members, 7,836,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria (11761 Views)

First Week In Opposition: PDP Struggles With The Challenge Of New Status! / FG Raises Alarm Over Dwindling Electricity Supply, Power Plants Shutdown / Buhari And The Challenge Of Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Funbii(m): 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
hun?
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by uken73(m): 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2014
We'll get there.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Padipadi(m): 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
I v never been a fan of GEJ's govt.
Not because I dislike him but because of the way the administration is run.
Last Bullet
However, I v been seeing miracle since last week friday. My area has been enjoying constant power supply like I v never seen for the past 4 years.
I don't know what happened to the Power Distriabuting Company Controlling my area o! But am impressed.
I now realise that Power Distributing Companies can supply constantly to an area if they want to. I can boldy say that power is wasting in my street.

4 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 29, 2014

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barcholder: 7:26pm On Aug 29, 2014
MyIncorp: I spend more on Petrol these days that I begin to wonder if PHCN still exist Yet, some will say the power situation has improved significantly in an area.

The solution to Nigeria's power problem is actually staring everybody in the face, practically every single day. The Sun - Solar Energy. I've been in Nigeria now since April 2013, when I launched my Solar Energy company, Solynta Energy. In just over a year, we have generated business worth over $350 million, primarily from the commercial market (Hotels, Schools, Filling Stations, Clinics etc). In the last 2 months, we launched into the residential market in a big way, and have already seen a tremendous take up rate. We now have residential installations across several different states including Lagos, Edo, Delta, Abuja & Nassarawa.

It never ceases to amaze me just how ignorant Nigerians are about Solar Energy. Every single, and I mean, every single home in Nigeria, can and should be using Solar Energy to get guaranteed 24 hours power. And it costs a fraction of the cost of diesel or petrol generators.

Please feel free to email me if you want any further information on how we can possibly help you to solve your power challenges.

On average, the return on investment for a residential Solar Power System is 2 years of diesel or petrol spend. We offer interest free financing to customers, allowing them to go Solar for as little as 20% down.

Typical prices

1KW System - 700k - sufficient to power the average 3 bedroom home for 12 - 18 hours a day. NO AC's
2KW System - 1.4m - sufficient to power the average 3 bedroom home for 24 hours. NO AC's
3KW System - 1.8m - sufficient to power all basic loads of a 4 bedroom duplex for 24 hours a day. NO AC's
4KW System - 2.4m - sufficient to power all basic loads of a 4 - 5 bedroom duplex for 24 hours a day. Limited AC Usage
5KW System - 3.0m - sufficient to power all basic plus heavy loads in a large home of 5 bedrooms or more for 24 hours a day. Some AC usage

The above are very basic guides as to what each system size can do, and are broadly accurate.

Solar Energy is a very viable solution to the power problem in Nigeria, and it's accessible to ALL, not just the rich. It's far and away the best investment a Nigerian home can make.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you want any further information on how Solynta Energy could help you solve your power challenges in your home.

Regards

Uvie

Email: solar@solynta.com.ng

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 29, 2014
its better here in akure
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by oooopss(m): 7:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
maxisfield: D situation in asaba is evn d worst! Wia livin in darkness ova hia..Godforbid!
I was in asaba last month and I stayed for 2weeks. All through my stay, I only saw electricity during d hours of 2am-4am and dis was for just 3days o! Electricity supply where I reside in lagos is awesome
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
casket: Power supply has improved significantly over the past 2 weeks here in Ibadan
hmm.. Ure not lieing... Am very suprised.. Sometimes I wonder.. Am I really in Ib. Cuz for like d first time since wen we started living in Ib, we had lite for 24hrs straight.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Barcholder: 7:31pm On Aug 29, 2014
wasak: 'we are on top of the situation. we are committed to providing 24 hours electricity for all and sundry.
before December of 2014 We'll attain 5000 megawatts. please join hands with us as we help transform Nigeria .Good people, Great Nation.
#transformation Agenda.

Here's a statistic for you. Nigeria has a population of 170 million people, and total power generation capacity of 4,000 megawatts. South Africa has a population of 47 million people, and a total power generation capacity of 42,000 megawatts.

And you come on here talking about attaining 5,000 megawatts? Lol. Nigeria needs about 140,000 megawatts to be on a par with South Africa on a per capita energy basis.

6 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Youngzedd(m): 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2014
Here in Sambisa, na firewood we dey use.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by gabolz(m): 7:44pm On Aug 29, 2014
maxisfield: D situation in asaba is evn d worst! Wia livin in darkness ova hia..Godforbid!
have you had light in Asaba this year?
Do u still change over after offing your generator set?
Was there light in Asaba all tru 2013
Did you hear UP NEPA in Asaba tru out 2012
I live in Eleko Beach Axis of Ibeju Lekki Lagos.
There hasn't been Power Supply down here since 2011.
I feel like crying.....yes y am I still here abi?
I work at the Free Trade Zone.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by eunisam: 7:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
power is one of the basic obstacle that is keeping Nigeria from developing. No light at all at all for my domain.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by komodapson(m): 7:47pm On Aug 29, 2014
Lero15: If I were a president, my major point agenda wld be stable electricity. I wldn't mind tackling it for the whole 4 years! Every other thing wld fall in place. God help Naija. Amen.
.....and after completing ur project, Ebola has finally wiped u and ur family
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by komodapson(m): 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2014
NETSPIDER: hmm.. Ure not lieing... Am very suprised.. Sometimes I wonder.. Am I really in Ib. Cuz for like d first time since wen we started living in Ib, we had lite for 24hrs straight.

It must b soka area
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by simple2004(m): 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2014
light? i have long given up. have no light since a week now. no difference at all
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by osjoshua(m): 7:55pm On Aug 29, 2014
Babyboy1986: 9ja which way forward
to sambisa forest I guess
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 29, 2014
komodapson:

It must b soka area
Lol... So..wetin..do u think am lieing?!...aint joking bro.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by roufy235(m): 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2014
that's naija for you
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by otokx(m): 8:00pm On Aug 29, 2014
We had some sort of improvement for a week even though it was super low current then the bill came yesterday and since then no light in UNIPORT and ALUU.

We hope for the best.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2014
_____

2 Likes

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by daslimentceo: 8:09pm On Aug 29, 2014
Kush, Flavour, Morell shine in 'Half of a Yellow Sun' theme song, 'Let’s Live Together' [MOVIE] http:///1qbTCDW
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Bolt3(m): 8:16pm On Aug 29, 2014
I actually opened a trend and I was able to confirm that the power situation has become worse.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by acenazt: 8:19pm On Aug 29, 2014
Redstone:

I usually have light for between 18 to 20 hours daily in Lagos and I use pre-paid meter, so I actually pay for what I use. The best advise, get a prepaid meter, and you'll check the issue of crazy bills.
I've been using the Prepaid since 2012. Its quite cheap and when I see Those ladder carrying fools I just smile and say na dem sabi.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 8:24pm On Aug 29, 2014
komodapson:
.....and after completing ur project, Ebola has finally wiped u and ur family
this is the most silly statement ever directed at me
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by bobnazzygon: 8:30pm On Aug 29, 2014
I will like to air my view on dis topic. It is quite unfortunate dat we don't appreciate efforts directed to solving d problem of Electric power in our country. To d glory of God, i'm presently an Engineer under National Integrated Power Project(NIPP), so most of what you tried to nail the government for is far from it. Let me take u back a bit d history lane. In the year 2006, the latest generating station in our dear country Nigeria was built by 1986 and as at the time of it's commission, it had a capacity of generating 1320MW at full capacity which had a great effect on National generation. As at May 2006, d generating station could only generate 40% of its maximum capacity which stands at 528MW compared 2 d maximum capacity of Kainji Hydro Electric which is below that. Dat generating station delivers 40% of the total generated power to the National grid. The implication is that if this generating station has a problem, our generation would be affected. The generating station i'm talking about is Egbin Thermal Plant in Lagos.Thanks, to the unbundling of NEPA into 3. And finally, privatizing this three companies which you earlier referred to. Btw 1986 and 2006, no generating station was built bt new houses were built, forest became cities which were connected to the already existing network of power installation with meagre generated power. Don't ever think nothing is being done. Presently, new generating stations are getting to final stage of completion, several 330kv and 132kv line network ar being commissioned which ar under Transmission. Coming to distribution, several Distribution substation control rooms are built in order to ensure adequate distribution. Each control room has at least 1 x 15MVA 33kV/11KV step down transformer. It's the 11kV feeder that feeds the transformers in ur area. So, let it be known that so many things are to be corrected b4 Electric power becomes totally stable. Worthy of note, i'm part of Engineers working on IBEDC and IKEDC power projects under NIPP. God bless Nigeria
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 29, 2014
donigspain: NO DOUBT ELECTRICITY SUPPLY HAS IMPROVED!!!

[b]From my personal research, having lived in different parts of the country and under different social settlement strata, I believe Nigeria's power problem rests more on power DISTRIBUTION and less on GENERATION.

Most of the distribution and transmission infrastructure in Nigeria are not only dilapidated but also over-stretched in capacity. The overwhelming rural-urban migration has caused a great burden on our social amenities; stretching them to their breaking points. The load a single transformer is made to carry is better left for the imagination. You find a situation where a single transformer is serving an overpopulated settlement of about 3 nautical miles radius. Tell me why there won't be constant breakdowns (transformers, cable cuts etc)!

Ever wonder why you experience better power supply in the electrified rural areas with less population/load?

Rural areas I have lived: Agbani (Enugu state), Adikpo (Benue state), Item (Abia state)
I was opportune to live in the above rural areas and I can tell you that I enjoyed power supply. On average, one enjoys about 18 hours of electricity per day.

Urban Areas I have lived: Aba, Portharcourt, Enugu, Lagos
Depending on the areas you live (judged by social stratification), one can go from NO ELECTRICITY to 20 hours of uninterrupted electricity supply. Places with less population and better transformer-population ratio experience better power supply compared to the slums and congested settlement nuclei which, unfortunately, majority of Nigerians live.

Conclusion:
No matter how much power we generate (1,000,000 MegaWatts) if the infrastructural aspect of TRANSMISSION and DISTRIBUTION is not addressed, we will keep living in darkness.
The part of Lagos where I presently stay enjoys, on average, 20 hours of uninterrupted power supply compared to other parts of the same Lagos where I had previously lived.
Difference? >>> Tranformer---population ratio[/b]

I will be back to count my LIKES and SHARES grin grin grin

*sekems out of thread*

i wholly agree with you. I couldnt help but wonder why O.P. didnt bother to get his facts right before coming here. The truth is, electricity has improved alot since the last few mnths. I live in Sokoto and we enjoy a minimum 18hrs per day compared to the former 12hrs. The only problem, just like earlier outlined is overloading! What the government needs to do again is try as much as possible see to the procurement of more cables and transformers, as this will help in proper distribution and better utilisation of the available watts!
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by abubakarumaro(m): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2014
Likewise to Katsina state we are enjoying light now than before that's KANO ELECTRicity Company Kudos to them
QMark:

That's not true. There's huge difference.... unfortunately it's only in the bill cry
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by o2k(m): 8:45pm On Aug 29, 2014
As long as we continue using the national grid system, i dont see end in sight. Where the power is produced it should be used there, economic common sense would tell you that you product should be close to your market to save cost, this unnecessary stress on the transmission lines where we loose valuable mega watts is not worth it.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Zakkyoz: 8:50pm On Aug 29, 2014
acenazt: Ehnn Am sure this ur article doesn't Apply to Kaduna. Cos we have a lot of light. 22-24 hours. Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company ahead of em other Companies.
i can attest to that because i am presently in kaduna. for the very first time in days i have spent on earth, i witnessed one week of stable power. apart from light, i think benue and kogi governors need to embark on an excursion to kano to see dividends of democracy on display.

1 Like

Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Zakkyoz: 8:57pm On Aug 29, 2014
donigspain: NO DOUBT ELECTRICITY SUPPLY HAS IMPROVED!!!

[b]From my personal research, having lived in different parts of the country and under different social settlement strata, I believe Nigeria's power problem rests more on power DISTRIBUTION and less on GENERATION.

Most of the distribution and transmission infrastructure in Nigeria are not only dilapidated but also over-stretched in capacity. The overwhelming rural-urban migration has caused a great burden on our social amenities; stretching them to their breaking points. The load a single transformer is made to carry is better left for the imagination. You find a situation where a single transformer is serving an overpopulated settlement of about 3 nautical miles radius. Tell me why there won't be constant breakdowns (transformers, cable cuts etc)!

Ever wonder why you experience better power supply in the electrified rural areas with less population/load?

Rural areas I have lived: Agbani (Enugu state), Adikpo (Benue state), Item (Abia state)
I was opportune to live in the above rural areas and I can tell you that I enjoyed power supply. On average, one enjoys about 18 hours of electricity per day.

Urban Areas I have lived: Aba, Portharcourt, Enugu, Lagos
Depending on the areas you live (judged by social stratification), one can go from NO ELECTRICITY to 20 hours of uninterrupted electricity supply. Places with less population and better transformer-population ratio experience better power supply compared to the slums and congested settlement nuclei which, unfortunately, majority of Nigerians live.

Conclusion:
No matter how much power we generate (1,000,000 MegaWatts) if the infrastructural aspect of TRANSMISSION and DISTRIBUTION is not addressed, we will keep living in darkness.
The part of Lagos where I presently stay enjoys, on average, 20 hours of uninterrupted power supply compared to other parts of the same Lagos where I had previously lived.
Difference? >>> Tranformer---population ratio[/b]

I will be back to count my LIKES and SHARES grin grin grin

*sekems out of thread*

Are u a herdsman? Why are you moving north, south, east and west? power supply in makurdi metropolis is a total failure.
Re: The Challenge Of Electricity Supply In Nigeria by Audinowing(m): 9:01pm On Aug 29, 2014
I think the situation is better in sokoto. At worst case scenario, one is sure of 12hrs in a day. I am beginning to like the place majorly because of the relative stable power supply.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

‘Why Bitumen Exploration Is Just Taking Off In Ondo’ / Umahi: Why I Campaigned For Buhari In 2019 / Protest Rocks APC Secretariat Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.