Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,318 members, 7,829,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) (36559 Views)

World Igbo Congress Is Facilitating Biafran Secession / Pro Dr Ariyo Demonstration In Texas. PICTURES.. / APC Gusau Rally LIVE - Holding In The Tick Of The Mid-night - See Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Twistaray(m): 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
LasGidiOwner: Those pictures cannot be Lagos, because we Lagos indigenes are different from traditional Yorubas. I think it is time we make this clear to the outsiders who may think we are the same people.
Lazy Igbo boi,who's sponsoring you education?
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 5:07pm On Aug 31, 2014
1stola:
You can sit on it then. You cretin.
You remain ignored.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by cococandy(f): 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2014
And he fails to get the point.
Yet again.

I've no problems with helping or anyone who helps.I repeat my first post says helping is good and beautiful.read it again. Read it again. Read!

I only have a problem with those who refuse to do what they should but expect others to put their lives on hold to help them.

Those are two different things.

I hope it's clearer now.
Not gonna repeat it.

maestroferddi: Then you are being unrealistic and reasonable.

You don't want to be molested, robbed or kidnapped when you make it to the village and yet you think the way to go is to remain self-centred and aloof.

You forgot that everyone cannot have the same opportunities and luck.

That why you are fortunate to be educated and working or earning good money overseas, that not everyone will have the same luck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by GodMode: 5:27pm On Aug 31, 2014
cococandy:
the kids aren't your responsibility alone. You and your wife share that responsibility. So both of you as well as your kids come first with each. Read my first post again. I wonder why
you're repeating my points and making it
look like I'm saying something else.
You need to rest your eyes so you can read
better.

because I said the mans' priority are the kids doesn't mean the woman should be idle...

You are the one mis-understanding and repeating my points.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by dvic(m): 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2014
RCCG BEECHNUT roads south west houston tx
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by babestell(f): 5:41pm On Aug 31, 2014
Lol....people be hating sha. So they want these men and women to leave their homes in USA and come back to Nigeria for meeting.

Igbo people in diaspora have tried their best. At least i can speak of the one in my town. One day I too will contribute my quota to the good work of developing my community.

5 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Niseamaka(m): 5:43pm On Aug 31, 2014
Michel886: So they left their own country, flew thousands of miles to no mans land to hold α meeting undecided

SO IF YOU WANT TO HOLD A MEETING WITH YOUR BROTHERS WHERE YOU GUYS LIVE, YOU ALL WILL FLY THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY TO DO IT.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
cococandy: I wonder why it is so hard to pass a point across without folks getting all sentimental on one.
Anyway I'll keep trying.

Has anyone here said forget your extended family? I doubt.
Has anyone in fact said anything against helping anyone?

This message is more to the helpees than the helpers themselves.
No one can or should ever be discouraged from helping as long as they can afford to.
But we all need to collectively discourage the dependent mindset. To discourage expecting help while one is healthy and should be able to fend for themselves.
That's the whole point of my posts.

A dead man is being vilified behind his back because his extended family is poor. How sensible is that?
It makes sense because he lives in America Huh?
Like any lineage that finds one of it's descendant in the U.S is expected to get out of poverty ASAP. Right?

I wonder if any one these 'relatives' knows exactly how their 'son' is faring.
If he's been a waiter for 6yrs or in a homeless shelter because he can't rent an apartment yet or if he's a truck driver or living from paycheck to paycheck.

All they care about is that he's in America and should be rich.

You're the ones belittling Nigeria.
I think I'm on the side of those who think Nigerians should have some self esteem.
If we assume going abroad equates to wealth,we have agreed that Nigeria is a cesspit that one needs deliverance from.

So who loves Nigeria more now.
You or me smiley smiley

If there is anyone getting dizzy by sentiment, I am afraid that person is you.

No-one said you should become Santa Claus that gives away gifts. Just like I remarked above, Igbo people are not known to be dependent on anybody.

I wonder whether you understand what it means to help people. Maybe it is unknown to you that every giving is a sacrifice. That if you are waiting till all you personal and nuclear family problems are solved, that you cannot give or help.

Taking it a notch deeper, most times all people need to be able to help is to curtail unnecessary expense and flamboyance to help. Help can come in the form of handing out things like used clothing, furniture and household effects.

As some pointed out above, it does not mean that you would be under the whims of the receivers of your assistance, but that you should factor helping people into your responsibilities.

You seem to forget that you need those are not so endowed to enjoy your wealth.
What is the point of having billions when people around are wallowing in poverty?

In some Igbo towns, community security is undertaken by the menfolk while clean and other tasks are that of the women. Now how does it look when you, the supposed Queen of England or the Prince of Wales makes it to the village probably during the festive periods and the village folks refuse to allow you pay someone but insist that you must personally take your turn personal to discharge the requisite task? Can you see that we all cannot be on the same level?

Every man and his cat know that working conditions are better overseas than in Nigeria, so I don't what set out to achieve by stating that Nigerians should not expect their folks who are residing overseas to render a token assistance.

The question about patriotism does not connect, you can see.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 5:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
cococandy: And he fails to get the point.
Yet again.

I've no problems with helping or anyone who helps.I repeat my first post says helping is good and beautiful.read it again. Read it again. Read!

I only have a problem with those who refuse to do what they should but expect others to put their lives on hold to help them.

I hope it's clearer now.
Not gonna repeat it.

You make me laugh.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Drone007: 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
[quote author=chy101]World Igbo Congress
The former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi speaking at the on-going World Igbo Congress in Houston, Texas - as I post, he is still speaking . Details after his speech.[/quote

Why don't they add some panache to the setting of this whole thing, if indeed, it is 'World'? Give it an ambiance that underlines it as a serious summit of international standard, dignified and world-class. I am sure if they look around, it should be super-easy to find a venue in the US with a UN General Assembly-like setting, for instance?
Gboor, the World Igbo Congress, do you really know it is the 21st century?
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by InvertedHammer: 6:54pm On Aug 31, 2014
IgboMonk: [size=18pt]This is what Yorubas are expecting of Igboleaders abroad.

Shame on you gullible igbos in NL, shame on you for falling to their gimmicks[/size]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1666500_1530055_fayemi_jollof_rice_jpgbb7554b492e4135d445fa8a5dce6876f_jpeg8d4d2516d01466bd9988623c0881df20
\

You are wicked!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

/

6 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by InvertedHammer: 7:05pm On Aug 31, 2014
/
[b]The old men can get together anytime and anywhere to discuss whatever they want.

The fact that the youth are still looking up to these "analog" folks in this 2014 to move Nigeria forward is an indictment of the youths.
Everyone is sitting around hoping that the next person takes action. There is this disgusting thing about Nigerian youths--it is only
when they migrate to foreign countries (Isreal, South Africa, etc) that they start demanding for some rights. The same rights they
cannot agitate for in their native country. Una never jam.

10 years from now, where do you think most of these men will be?
10 years from now, where will you be as a youth today?

Most able bodies men in Nigeria are checking out. Who will develop Nigeria?
Not these old men for sure.

So if you want to keep waiting for Egbe Omo Yoruba, Gamji, Ohaneze, Arewa to come up with concrete plans to develop Nigeria, dream on! These men are attending these functions to get some little change to buy arthritis and blood pressure medications. Developing Nigeria that they may not live to enjoy is the least of their worries.

Keep typing your bigotry on NL. The fact is that when all is said and done, you will wake up tomorrow morning in the cesspit you live
in with your miserable lives still sucking as ever.

[/b]

\
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 31, 2014
For those dogging on the venue, get a grip!
that was a townhall meeting in the afternoon
The gala nights are held in the banquet hall

I know because I have been in those meetings tons of times
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2014
We leave the Nigerians in Nigeria to do that bit lol

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 31, 2014
CHESSBOARD:

Damn...Brother which Yoruba state is this.... The only city Yorubas have is Lagos...and we know why

brother that is somewhere in ile ife Osun state.....
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
oluamid:

I'd rather be a part of Nigeria's solution than condescending from afar in another man's land.

And yes, I'm a Nigerian. Proud to be too.

The afar land I am in has treated me a million times better than my homeland could ever treat me
I speak that truth unashamedly
I am not complaining one bit
Proudly nigerian too
I don't have to live in Nigeria to say that
The day I decide to move back,I can also.
I have my Nigerian green passport that confirms my Nigerian heritage so I at least I have a choice in where I choose to dwell

4 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by EASTVIEW: 7:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
That place is oshogbo!

xharder:

brother that is somewhere in ile ife Osun state.....
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
EASTVIEW: That place is oshogbo!

some are oshogbo but mostly ile ife
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 31, 2014
Naija for life
Sunday rice
Join me
That I live in America doesn't make me less Igbo

3 Likes

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by EASTVIEW: 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2014
Nwanyi is this Africontinental?

babyosisi: Naija for life
Sunday rice
Join me
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by dellaziz(m): 7:32pm On Aug 31, 2014
[
and was I addressing u....anyway sha... u go skuul... buh sense u no get to utilise resources in Ur environment
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by naijaking1: 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
babyosisi: Naija for life
Sunday rice
Join me

Nne, this looks good, but I don't see the piece of meat oh!
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by kmariko: 8:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
The only thing the so called Diaspora have done to the country especially in IGBOLAND is create a cyclical culture of dependency. In other words they bring down"second hand clothes" thus killing of the brainic innovative "tailor"
The so-called development in their eldorado turned town is ...a subtle way of telling the youths in those places that their lives are better off abroad...what a contradiction.
Whether it is local AID or foreign AID its all "Dead AID".
The reason phillipines is the sick man of Asia is precisely that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by cococandy(f): 8:37pm On Aug 31, 2014
Oga stop quoting me if you're not getting my point.
All your post is in praise of the virtue of generosity.
It would be appropriate for some who's against generosity.
I'm clearly not.
I've not a problem with people giving others help in no matter what form.
It is commendable and good.
In all my post here,I've not for once condemned giving or even insinuated it.
Infact my first post stated and I repeat for the umpteenth time 'giving is good and beautiful'

But
I strongly condemn expecting.

My post addresses those who expect others to be responsible for them.

Simply summarized.
Don't expect help. But appreciate it if it comes.

Is this rocket science?
Explaining the same thing a hundred times over
Eesh!

Since you know so much,do you know that help unexpected is better and always more appreciated than help expected?. Because the helpee feels it's their right and as such may not even acknowledge the trouble their helper went through to give them what they need.

See the dude going sanctimonuos on me. Do you know me? Do you know if I run a charity organisation? So because I said folks should sit up and not depend on anyone that means I automatically discourage those who can help to help.

maestroferddi: If there is anyone getting dizzy by sentiment, I am afraid that person is you.

No-one said you should become Santa Claus that gives away gifts. Just like I remarked above, Igbo people are not known to be dependent on anybody.

I wonder whether you understand what it means to help people. Maybe it is unknown to you that every giving is a sacrifice. That if you are waiting till all you personal and nuclear family problems are solved, that you cannot give or help.

Taking it a notch deeper, most times all people need to be able to help is to curtail unnecessary expense and flamboyance to help. Help can come in the form of handing out things like used clothing, furniture and household effects.

As some pointed out above, it does not mean that you would be under the whims of the receivers of your assistance, but that you should factor helping people into your responsibilities.

You seem to forget that you need those are not so endowed to enjoy your wealth.
What is the point of having billions when people around are wallowing in poverty?

In some Igbo towns, community security is undertaken by the menfolk while clean and other tasks are that of the women. Now how does it look when you, the supposed Queen of England or the Prince of Wales makes it to the village probably during the festive periods and the village folks refuse to allow you pay someone but insist that you must personally take your turn personal to discharge the requisite task? Can you see that we all cannot be on the same level?

Every man and his cat know that working conditions are better overseas than in Nigeria, so I don't what set out to achieve by stating that Nigerians should not expect their folks who are residing overseas to render a token assistance.

The question about patriotism does not connect, you can see.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by cococandy(f): 8:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
You should laugh.
You're a clown.
maestroferddi: You make me laugh.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 9:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
cococandy: Oga stop quoting me if you're not getting my point.
All your post is in praise of the virtue of generosity.
It would be appropriate for some who's against generosity.
I'm clearly not.
I've not a problem with people giving others help in no matter what form.
It is commendable and good.
In all my post here,I've not for once condemned giving or even insinuated it.
I strongly condemn expecting.

My post addresses those who expect others to be responsible for them.

Simply summarized.
Don't expect help. But appreciate it if it comes.

Is this rocket science?
Explaining the same thing a hundred times over
Eesh!

Since you know so much,do you know that help unexpected is better and always more appreciated than help expected?. Because the helpee feels it's their right and as such may not even acknowledge the trouble their helper went through to give them what they need.

See the dude going sanctimonuos on me. Do you know me? Do you know if I run a charity organisation? So because I said folks should sit up and not depend on anyone that means I automatically discourage those who can help to help.

I make bold to say that I have exhaustively made my points.

You can go on with your patronising attitudes and skewed inferences. It is your call.

Not that I couldn't detect the veneer of bad-temperedness, unjustified complacency, unnecessary pomposity and petulance in your latest post.

Consequently, since you have elected to divorce objectivity and rationality from the interchange, I will no longer oblige you with further rejoinders.

You can go on indulging yourself in whimsical smugness since the rest of humanity depends solely on you for sustenance...

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 9:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
cococandy: You should laugh.
You're a clown.
You are a fake, pure and simple.

Only deluding yourself all along with pseudo-sophistication.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by cococandy(f): 9:35pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ije uwa cheesy

I made a simple post. That Nigerians in Nigeria should stop being so hard on Nigerians in diaspora with so much high expectations as they have hardships of their own.

You and god mode picked on my post. Calling me selfish and bla bla.
After going round and round and round trying to make me look like I'm discouraging helpers from helping the needy,you couldn't succeed as I stood my ground on my point which is that we should discourage the dependency mindset.

This same high expectation that leads our young men over there to do all sorts of things to get rich quick because the pressure from back home is too much.

Now I'm the bad guy? grin grin grin
It's alright

Maybe it's a good thing I don't live in America now. Y'all would have termed my post as stemming from high handedness and the pride of living abroad.
A fellow Nigerian in Nigeria calls out a situation the way she sees it and she's fake
(what does that even mean?)

Nna park well biko. You've no point to start with.
all I did was say folks here should not expect help as if it's their right. Unless you disagree with that(thereby saying it is their right to be catered for by their relations abroad),you had no business quoting me in the first place.

Taking me round the thread trying to accuse me of what I didn't say.

You're only just realizing you shouldn't add another rejoinder?
You should have stopped at your first response because your posts weren't addressing my point.

maestroferddi: I make bold to say that I have exhaustively made my points.

You can go on with your patronising attitudes and skewed inferences. It is your call.

Not that I couldn't detect the veneer of bad-temperedness, unjustified complacency, unnecessary pomposity and petulance in your latest post.

Consequently, since you have elected to divorce objectivity and rationality from the interchange, I will no longer oblige you with further rejoinders.

You can go on indulging yourself in whimsical smugness since the rest of humanity depends solely on you for sustenance...

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
maestroferddi: All I am seeing is a comedian with poor punch lines.

Let you guys theme you gathering appropriately as an An Annual Meeting of Igbos Residing in the US and not the farce of World Igbo Congress.

Do you really understand what you're saying?
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by oluamid(m): 10:39pm On Aug 31, 2014
babyosisi:

The afar land I am in has treated me a million times better than my homeland could ever treat me
I speak that truth unashamedly
I am not complaining one bit
Proudly nigerian too
I don't have to live in Nigeria to say that
The day I decide to move back,I can also.
I have my Nigerian green passport that confirms my Nigerian heritage so I at least I have a choice in where I choose to dwell

Of course I'm not implying you are less Nigerian than I'm. I just don't buy the idea of looking down on those who aren't privileged to have gone "abroad" or to think everyone back home is a kind of money sucking parasite waiting for hand-me-downs. We get that enough from foreigners and won't suffer it in the hands of our own "brethren"

1 Like

Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by maestroferddi: 10:51pm On Aug 31, 2014
chinziaski: Do you really understand what you're saying?
You will when you begin to question the propriety of a couple of senescent men gathering in a US city and purporting their lunchtime shindig the World Igbo Congress.
Re: World Igbo Congress Holding In Houston Texas (pictures) by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2014
maestroferddi: You will when you begin to question the propriety of a couple of senescent men gathering in a US city and purporting their lunchtime shindig the World Igbo Congress.

sorry, how is it your concern?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bomb Blast In Maiduguri Mosque, Kills Many / I Will Congratulate Winner If I Lose – Okorocha / Bolaji Abdullahi Resigns From APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.