Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement (999 Views)

The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ / Update On The Onitsha Second Niger Bridge (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 30, 2014
Category: News Published on Saturday, 30 August 2014 05:00 Written by Victor Sorokwu, Asaba

No amount of intimidation by federal agents and the Oko-Amakom Community Liaison Officers (CLO) could silence nonagenarian, Pa Olise Okelue and community representatives of Power-line settlement of Oko-Amakom, in Oshimili South local government area of Delta State, from voicing their pain and plight at the payment centre for displaced indigenes and residents.

Pa Okelue was among over 500 displaced people herded into an open hall at the Tourist Garden Resort, by Asaba end of the River Niger Bridge, to receive compensation for their houses, farm lands and crops on Thursday.

The federal consultant, Mr. Mark Ugorji, handling the valuation and compensation, had invited some journalists (Weekly Trust not included) for what looked like a pre-determined press conference. He summoned Pa Okelue, the chairman of Power-line Residents Association, Mr. Jideofor Anosike and another community representative, Mr. Edwin Obiora, to address the press and retract their statements in the media over their displeasure with amounts paid to them as compensation and that a distressed resident had attempted suicide by jumping into the River Niger in protest.

But to their chagrin, Pa Okelue emphatically restated that at his age, he would gain nothing by lying or being cajoled to lie, insisting that the residents are deeply aggrieved by the displacement and their situation was worsened by inadequate compensation.

“They gave me N500, 000 for my seven-room house, where I live with six family members. How can that sum rebuild my house and sustain my family? My five farmlands were affected and as I speak to you, I don’t have a single parcel of land as an indigene of Oko-Amakom to farm on and eke out a living, how can I survive with my family living with me?” Pa Okelue asked, helplessly.

“I want government to resettle us, rather than giving us this paltry monetary compensation. Everybody in the settlement is affected and we prefer government to provide us with a new settlement. They should rebuild our houses,” he added.

In the same vein, the residents’ association chairman, Mr. Jideofor Anosike, said he is not an indigene of Oko-Amakom, but has lived in the community for over 30 years, which partly justifies why he was appointed as the chairman of the Power-line settlement.

“I want to restate that indeed someone jumped into River Niger on account of the meager compensation paid a fortnight ago, though he was rescued and survived. The story was not fabricated. The residents are not happy with the meager compensation.

“What was paid for farmlands and crops is accepted but not for houses. People got between N100, 000 and N500, 000 for their houses. So tell me how a displaced person can get a new house with such amount?” he asked.

Anosike appealed for an increase in the compensation money for those who prefer to take money and relocation and building of new houses to resettle those who prefer to remain in the locality.

“I have lived in this place for over 25 years as a farmer. I have a very mighty house, seven rooms of 12 by 12 sizes. My house is right in the centre of the proposed second Niger Bridge and I am offered just N300, 000 for it,” said Edwin Obiora.

“It is not okay for me at all,” he continued. “I have a family of six and my farm lands are gone. I am pleading to the federal government to relocate us or give us enough money to relocate ourselves because it may take a longer time for government to build and relocate us,” he pleaded.

Chairman of Oko-Amakom’s 10-man CLOs, Chief Victor Obi, agreed that the residents’ demands were normal because as human beings, they have high expectations. He also urged the federal government to do the needful.

He said that the entire Power-line settlement and nearly half of the community were affected by the proposed second Niger Bridge and the development calls for adequate federal government intervention.

Describing the second Niger Bridge as a welcome development, Chief Obi explained that the on-going compensation was the first phase, involving the residents of Oko-Amakom farm settlements, adding that the federal government has not commenced compensation for the larger part of their ancestral community, where the toll gates and plaza would be constructed.

“The project will enhance economic activities; provide good roads that will enable us convey our farm produce to bigger markets and cities,” Obi said, adding that: “The federal government is yet to do anything for us as a community. We are still pleading for aid and provision of meaningful jobs for our people who are predominantly farmers and fishermen, especially the youths.”
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Nobody: 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2014
Apparently distraught with the position of Pa Okelue and his co-representatives of the displaced residents, the federal agent, Ugorji fumed at this correspondent for interviewing them, threatening to deal with him and force him out of the venue of the compensation payment.

When our correspondent sought his reactions to the issues raised by the displaced residents, Ugorji dismissed him and claimed he has no mandate from his principals to speak to the press.

Weekly Trust investigations revealed that hideouts and underhanded activities were going on at the payment centre as non-residents, impostors and fictitious names were discovered on the list of beneficiaries.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/new-news/17480-second-niger-bridge-displaced-communities-insist-on-resettlement
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Dreal1247: 11:53pm On Aug 30, 2014
Some of our government officials are inhumanely wicked. What they know is not good for them, they are doing it to others . Selfishness.

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Swot26(m): 1:06am On Aug 31, 2014
I dunno
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 31, 2014
They should hurry up with the payment of compensation already while ensuring that the beneficiaries receive what is just and fair.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by redsun(m): 10:35am On Aug 31, 2014
The dispensers of course will want to get the lion share of the said compensations,while the victims are left with little or nothing.That is how it works in nigeria.The same goes with executed contracts,for a little "connected" contractor to get his/her money,he/she has to bribe the officials with almost half of the profits from the contract and that would have taken donkey years to materialize.

Nigeria is a hell hole for hard working people without the connections of the corrupt politicians.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Ogbonaikenna(m): 11:02am On Aug 31, 2014
I would suggest that the displaced people be relocated to the housing estates built by the delta state govt.
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by 9jagirl4re(f): 9:08pm On Sep 02, 2014
This explains why it is taking so long well pay them what the property is worth Uncle Wille we are watching! Don't be wicked like Fashola and displace, disrupt and destroy indigenes lives. This is not a shack on the beach but a Mini Mansion they need compensation in the millions. Goodlucj will give you just do the paper work and also get good publicity for election year. Win win situation!
Re: Second Niger Bridge: Displaced Communities Insist On Resettlement by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 02, 2014
it is only just and fair that the government pays fair market value for any demolished houses, else people will start to resist new projects like roads passing through their communities.
i don't know what the nigeria government gains by not paying people for demolished houses which they sweated to build
it is simply thoughtless and wicked

(1) (Reply)

The Grave Allegations Of Stephen Davis - By Femi Fani Kayode / Hillary Clinton’s Mobile Phone Hacked By German Intelligence Agency / Boko Haram: Nigeria’s Defence Budget Gulps $32.88bn, Says APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.