Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' (1622 Views)

Excuse Me Sir, / Divorce - Why Cant Women Say "I M Sorry"? / Sorry & ashamed for my past. But NOT for my future & my baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by lukaino(m): 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
If you live in the western parts of Nigeria, you may have noticed people say to you, sorry just to have you give way for them to pass by.
it is so generally used that sometimes i stop to ponder if the word sorry is now the correct replacement 'for excuse me'. Am i the only one noticing this? is it right to use the word sorry in this context?
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Antell95(m): 4:07pm On Aug 31, 2014
Very wrong
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by McWhillion(m): 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2014
I sometimes make the mistake I must say.
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by crackhaus: 4:18pm On Aug 31, 2014
By now you should have realized that Nigerians make use of unique lexicons, sentence structures, and pronunciations when speaking what we think is English language. cool

Also, take into account that English is not our first language...so cut some slack, we can't all be linguists.

2 Likes

Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by quinnboy: 4:31pm On Aug 31, 2014
Yeah.....u are right.
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
it's Yoruba English." ejo e no fe koja " literally means 'sorry I want to pass'.
Direct interpretation
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by ayogabriel(m): 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
Common among ladies compared to guys, when ever someone tells me sorry in this context, I smile and say sorry too, giving a sarcastic look
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by merieam16(f): 6:22pm On Aug 31, 2014
Antell95: Very wrong
buh u use it
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Antell95(m): 7:53pm On Aug 31, 2014
merieam16: buh u use it

Yes, but not anymore.
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by slimyem: 7:55pm On Aug 31, 2014
I use it too. Who is scoring? tongue
It's short and serves it's purpose. cool

1 Like

Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Nobody: 8:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
lukaino: If you live in the western parts of Nigeria, you may have noticed people say to you, sorry just to have you give way for them to pass by.
it is so generally used that sometimes i stop to ponder if the word sorry is now the correct replacement 'for excuse me'. Am i the only one noticing this? is it right to use the word sorry in this context?
It is simply called ''YORUBA-ENGLISH'' i.e straight translation of yoruba into english .

E.g Joo, je kin koja = sorry, abeg, make I pass or sorry, give way !

Instead of ''excuse me'' as simply as it is !! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by ayogabriel(m): 9:36pm On Aug 31, 2014
donroxy: It is simply called ''YORUBA-ENGLISH'' i.e straight translation of yoruba into english .

E.g Joo, je kin koja = sorry, abeg, make I pass or sorry, give way !

Instead of ''excuse me'' as simply as it is !! cheesy
bros, joor means please oo, sorry means pele, so don't think you are right here.
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 31, 2014
ayogabriel: bros, joor means please oo, sorry means pele, so don't think you are right here.
Na wa o , There are Homonyms and Homophones in Yoruba too !

A word , with varities of meaning ... Dakun = please cheesy how about that ! Joor = sorry , Dakun = sorry , Joor = please !

E.g Dakun Mabinu = Joor Ma binu = sorry , no vex = please no vex cheesy

1 Like

Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by shizzleStar: 2:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
Its wrong, common mistakes....I'm guilty too cheesy
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by lukaino(m): 2:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
onetouch7: it's Yoruba English." ejo e no fe koja " literally means 'sorry I want to pass'.
Direct interpretation

And some ladies will say it with phonetics as if it were correct English

1 Like

Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Godmystrength: 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2014
ayogabriel: Common among ladies compared to guys, when ever someone tells me sorry in this context, I smile and say sorry too, giving a sarcastic look
continue
Re: Using The Word 'sorry' In Place Of 'excuse Me' by Godmystrength: 3:31pm On Sep 01, 2014
onetouch7: it's Yoruba English." ejo e no fe koja " literally means 'sorry I want to pass'.
Direct interpretation
this doesn't look like yoruba to me sha

(1) (Reply)

Husband Material Chilling Lounge / Mischievous Kids: Laugh Or Cry? / WEIRD: Woman Visit Friend 2-hours After Dying In An Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.