Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,097 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? (10957 Views)

Married Men...Negative Influence On Single Ladies? / Western Influence On African Marriage / Failed Marriages In Nollywood: Bad Influence On The Youth's Future Families! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by haroldpatt(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2008
How would you feel when your teenage son or daughter begin to exhibit behavioral tendecies that does not depict our culture as African and Nigerians for that matter. This may be as result of trying to emulate western cultures that are at variance with ours. So has western culture impacted positively on our youths?

www.teenage2adulthood.com
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 1:11pm On Oct 27, 2008
You know,  I was just thinking the same thing when I saw this  thread 16-year-old Girl Delivers Baby Boy For Father and this one Pastor Marries School Girl and this one Confirmed! My Neighbour Is Shagging Her Houseboy! and this one Why Should A Father Make Love To His Daughter and this one How My Dad's Friend Raped Me ------5 Year Old Girland this one Woman Abandons Baby With Trader At Suru- Alaba Market. . . I said to myself,  I said “Baby, what is going on here? Why is everything so upside down, ehn?”

At first I thought maybe it’s because parents are now lax in their duties, some of them are selfish. . . Preferring to cater to their own needs even at the risk of their children’s and children or how some of them just don’t care a hoot about the babies they chose to bring to this world, how sometimes the people who are supposed to protect these children, who are supposed teach morality to the kids are the ones corrupting them. . .  but then I thought nah, that’s too easy, jare. There has got to be a bigger entity we can blame for this and like manna from heaven, I saw your thread it was like all the planets aligned just right because everything suddenly made sense. . . OF COURSE IT IS THE WESTERN CULTURE. . . PEOPLE. . . INFLUENCE who shoulders the blame for the many perverted things going on in our country, all the wrong goings on with our children and it has nothing to do with laziness and selfishness  and carelessness on parent‘s parts.

Whew! Ope ooooh!

So what do you suggest we do? How do we battle the western culture. . . People. . . Influence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by Hugger: 3:03pm On Oct 27, 2008
Just another of those Nigerians ways for baby Jinx- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/14/tsa_screener_theft/
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by Hugger: 3:08pm On Oct 27, 2008
Baby Jinx:

You know, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw this thread 16-year-old Girl Delivers Baby Boy For Father and this one Pastor Marries School Girl and this one Confirmed! My Neighbour Is Shagging Her Houseboy! and this one Why Should A Father Make Love To His Daughter and this one How My Dad's Friend Raped Me ------5 Year Old Girland this one Woman Abandons Baby With Trader At Suru- Alaba Market. . . I said to myself, I said “Baby, what is going on here? Why is everything so upside down, ehn?”

At first I thought maybe it’s because parents are now lax in their duties, some of them are selfish. . . Preferring to cater to their own needs even at the risk of their children’s and children or how some of them just don’t care a hoot about the babies they chose to bring to this world, how sometimes the people who are supposed to protect these children, who are supposed teach morality to the kids are the ones corrupting them. . . but then I thought nah, that’s too easy, jare. There has got to be a bigger entity we can blame for this and like manna from heaven, I saw your thread it was like all the planets aligned just right because everything suddenly made sense. . . OF COURSE IT IS THE WESTERN CULTURE. . . PEOPLE. . . INFLUENCE who shoulders the blame for the many perverted things going on in our country, all the wrong goings on with our children and it has nothing to do with laziness and selfishness and carelessness on parent‘s parts.

Whew! Ope ooooh!

So what do you suggest we do? How do we battle the western culture. . . People. . . Influence?

How terrible are these Nigerians here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7691447.stm
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 4:31pm On Oct 27, 2008
Hugger:

How terrible are these Nigerians here:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7691447.stm

Tell me, are you adverse to logic? Do you wear some kind of common sense repellant or what? 

What has people fighting at a football game or stealing bags at airport got to do with the matter at hand? I am talking about fathers sleeping with their daughters, Pastors marrying 14 years olds, mother abandoning their babies, men sleeping with 5 years old, you bring news link about people fighting at a game. Jeebus! what exactly are you trying to prove here?

Oh wait, was that your attempt to prove other countries have issues too? Abeg, Mr. Hugger. . . who is denying they don't? Ya darn skippy they do but are they blaming other western, northern, sourthern, eastern influence for the bad behavior? That was the point of my post. . . didn't know I needed to break down for you crayola style
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by Hugger: 4:59pm On Oct 27, 2008
seeing as you dont want to think, i'll break it down a little. The existence of those crimes and evils in Nigeria does not mean that some of them could not have been influenced by western culture.

You post about bad incidents in Nigeria is very irrelevant in the scheme of things. Perhaps you cant see that yet. shocked
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 5:33pm On Oct 27, 2008
"The existence of those crimes and evils in Nigeria does not mean that some of them could not have been influenced by western culture"

Oooooooookay, leaving the coulda to the side,I am still baffled by you providing a news link about luggage stealers and football fighting fans to counter child molestation and child abandonment crimes. Is that to prepare us for when news hits that Nigerians have started fighting at football games and stealing luggage in airports?

Bwahahahaha! Lawd-a-mercy! 

And thanks for calling Nigerians Mindless drones. . . oh yeah, for also giving me the answer to my question. I'm going to go with option B, a repellant suit.

Lmao! I tire for people who can't see that what is irrelvant in the grand scheme of things is blaming other people for what ails us or pointing fingers at what others are doing.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by Hugger: 6:12pm On Oct 27, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Oooooooookay, leaving the coulda to the side,I am still baffled by you providing a news link about luggage stealers and football fighting fans to counter child molestation and child abandonment crimes. Is that to prepare us for when news hits that Nigerians have started fighting at football games and stealing luggage in airports?

but not baffled that you decided to refer to topics on crime in Nigeria?

Baby Jinx:

Lmao! I tire for people who can't see that what is irrelvant in the grand scheme of things is blaming other people for what ails us or pointing fingers at what others are doing.

You no tire for women who are always pointing mindlessly to ills in the society? did you link your post to anything? How you can have some intelligence and decide to use it in a 'not-so-good' way baffles me
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 6:27pm On Oct 27, 2008
Oya, let's put the animosity goggles aside because it seems you can't find your way out of a bag with it on. Tell me, exactly how do you define crimes that could have been influenced by the west and those which couldn't have.

I'm listening oooh.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by Gamine(f): 7:48pm On Oct 27, 2008
@Topic
None that i know of undecided
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by DisGuy: 6:35am On Oct 28, 2008
Nope!!

can you imagine, they are now wearing trousers instead of iro and buba
they even use computer chei abomination!! instead of using ifa and obantale*
whatever happened to the traditional huts?? now all we see is ugly building with columns shocked

time Vs culture wink
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by spikedcylinder: 10:31am On Oct 28, 2008
lol @ common sense repellent! grin cheesy
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by kokoye(m): 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2008
I think there are some positives:

The Nigerian youth growing up here has a lot more confidence and selfesteem. Compare with their mates still at home who have been reduced to mutes by their teachers or elders simply because at home we feel younger ones should keep quiet. Here people are encouraged to speak their minds. When I started grad school here, it took me a while before I could join in the discussions - who the hell are you to question ur lecturers' teachings in Naija??

Also, Nigerian kids here are definately more matured and more independent. There are jobs you can do here once ur of age so you dont have to go running to ur parents or uncles or aristos for money everytime. This makes you appreciate the value of money, and when you start early you have enough savings by the time ur ready to retire - imagine starting a 401k program at age 18 even though the economy is jagged up right now but it'll get back up again, amen!. I still collected money from my parents even after I started working in Nigeria - not my fault but I had no choice. Here you dont have to depend on ur parents - u can go work at some fast food joint and earn extra cash. And the fact that jobs are not readily available in naija is the reason why there are a lot of robberies and aristos.

Here you can do any kinda legit work as long as it pays ur bills. In naija, due to our system and culture, you just dont want to do any kinda work so people will not look down on you. A lot of people in the western world are doing security work, nursing assistants, valet parking attendants and life is still good for them and no one cares - try that in naija.

In the western world, kids are not as exposed to corruption as they are in my dear country. I aint saying there's no corruption here but it is not as bad. An unborn child in Naija knows the difference btw a 100naira note and a 1000naira note so he/she does not want to do anything for free right from birth.

There are definately negatives here as well, but I will not go into it because that's not the point of this discussion.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by JJYOU: 1:48pm On Oct 28, 2008
many here in the west are unbelievably rude
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by kokoye(m): 1:58pm On Oct 28, 2008
Rude, maybe yes. But they have simply been encouraged to say thier minds unlike kids in Naija. Mind you, those kids in Nija have worse things in mind about you but they just wont say it cos you'll beat them up. Out of the bottled up aggression, they might go kill ur chicken or puncture ur tyre / tire. Choose one. grin

You cant just beat them up here - so kids are all the same wherever. some have only been encouraged to speak their minds in a confident manner, although it might sound rude to you.

Like I told some kid to pick up after himself a few yrs ago. He looked at me and was like 'you aint my daddy!'. That was rude but it true at the same time. I told him it was better for him to pick it up right away or he'll be spanked real good. He picked it up and walked away still looking at me like 'I hate you!' cheesy

funny.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by JJYOU: 2:04pm On Oct 28, 2008
there is nothing cool or maybe about rudeness. many made in england and north america kids don't know or have a clue what life is about
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by MsLurker(f): 2:36pm On Oct 28, 2008
How do you know we don't?
You don't know anyone's story until you ask or see for yourself.

If you are going by what's on TV, then you don't know the half of what N. American kids go through, especially the black ones like my peers.

My question is: (and I'm not trying to be rude) Why have or raise your kids here if our influence is so bad? You can't keep up the Western way of life completely no matter how hard you try.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by JJYOU: 2:39pm On Oct 28, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

How do you know we don't?
You don't know anyone's story until you ask or see for yourself.

If you are going by what's on TV, then you don't know the half of what N. American kids go through, especially the black ones like my peers. 

My question is: (and I'm not trying to be rude) Why have or raise your kids here if our influence is so bad? You can't keep up the Western way of life completely no matter how hard you try.
how did the jewish and some asian community achieve theirs?
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by MsLurker(f): 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2008
You can keep your identity but it's still "Westernized". It comes with the territory in which you live.

I'm just saying that you take the good for the bad but the influence will seep in eventually. You can't blame Westernization on what's happening.

You should be thinking about the youths that are affected and why they happen to be. I'm American and I'm of course, Westernized about I don't act a fool and I know plenty of Americans that don't.

I think it's up to the individual not the society that they are brought up in.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2008
JJYOU:

how did the jewish and some asian community achieve theirs?

VERY GOOD QUESTION and it can be answered simply - PARENTAL CONTROL.

The Jewish and the Asian community have a tight reign (bad choice of words, I know but I think it's effective for this discourse) on their children and families, their culture and ways of doing things are imbibed in this kids from the moment they open their mouth for the first cry. Basically, they understand the basic principle. . . Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it, so no matter how influential the "western culture" is, they won't be easily. . . influenced

Instead of seeing this, understanding this. . . some people get their dram queen act on,  blaming western culture for influencing the kids and posting links to off point topics just to say "Oh look they are so bad, they steal bags at airport and fight at football games". As a matter of fact, compared to what some kids learn at home. . . from their own parents, stealing bags and fighting at football matches will be 100 times preferable.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 3:33pm On Oct 28, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

You can keep your identity but it's still "Westernized". It comes with the territory in which you live.

I'm just saying that you take the good for the bad but the influence will seep in eventually. You can't blame Westernization on what's happening.

You should be thinking about the youths that are affected and why they happen to be. I'm American and I'm of course, Westernized about I don't act a fool and I know plenty of Americans that don't.

I think it's up to the individual not the society that they are brought up in.

See how talks of this so called "Western Culture Influence" is making some people feel special? Why oh why are we giving this culture more credit than it deserves?

Let's even back up a little. . . what exactly is the western culture or what is being westernized? I've always wanted to know the exact definition and please, please don't say civilization because last I checked, no one particular group of people have sole ownership of civilization.

So what I expect  as an answer is something like

"In Nigeria, it is the culture to have Introduction Ceremony where the grooms family formally ask for the hand of the bride in marriage"

Do you see how that kind of culture cuts across time and space? Yeah, that's the kind of  Western Culture example I want, so it would be easier to see if we are being influenced on not.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 3:34pm On Oct 28, 2008
Dis Guy:

Nope!!

can you imagine, they are now wearing trousers instead of iro and buba
they even use computer chei abomination!! instead of using ifa and obantale*
whatever happened to the traditional huts?? now all we see is ugly building with columns shocked

time Vs culture wink

Bwahahahahahaha! Nice! grin grin
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by MsLurker(f): 4:05pm On Oct 28, 2008
Baby Jinx:

See how talks of this so called "Western Culture Influence" is making some people feel special? Why oh why are we giving this culture more credit than it deserves?

Let's even back up a little. . . what exactly is the western culture or what is being westernized? I've always wanted to know the exact definition and please, please don't say civilization because last I checked, no one particular group of people have sole ownership of civilization.

So what I expect  as an answer is something like

"In Nigeria, it is the culture to have Introduction Ceremony where the grooms family formally ask for the hand of the bride in marriage"

Do you see how that kind of culture cuts across time and space? Yeah, that's the kind of  Western Culture example I want, so it would be easier to see if we are being influenced on not.

To tell you the truth. I'm not sure who feels special about Western influence. If that is what you glean from my response, you misinterpreted or maybe I wasn't that clear.

I don't understand when people say "Oh the West/Yankee/etc influence such and such".

There are people who were raised in Yankee or UK or wherever and not all exhibit the so called "bad" behaviors. Our culture is a mix of things because we are a mix of people but from what I gathered from this thread the bad aspects of Western culture seem to be influencing the Nigerian youth.

How is that so? I think it would be up to the individual on whether they let it affect them or not.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

To tell you the truth. I'm not sure who feels special about Western influence. If that is what you glean from my response, you misinterpreted or maybe I wasn't that clear.

I don't understand when people say "Oh the West/Yankee/etc influence such and such".

There are people who were raised in Yankee or UK or wherever and not all exhibit the so called "bad" behaviors. Our culture is a mix of things because we are a mix of people but from what I gathered from this thread the bad aspects of Western culture seem to be influencing the Nigerian youth.

How is that so? I think it would be up to the individual on whether they let it affect them or not.

I need to apologize, I didn't mean t jump on you like that. Your response, which like you rightfully stated is a product of what you gleaned from the posts, made it easier for me to use you or rather your post as jumping off point to admonish my fellow Nigerians. . . the ones who are so quick to blame the Western Culture (whatever that is) for every evil thing that happens to us.

They don't realize they inadvertently do two things with talks like that. . .

1) Giving too much credit to one who deserves none
2) Painting a picture of us. . . Nigerians are brainless fools who just go with the flow.

Again, It wasn't really about you per se. . .  it was more a "Look what you guys are doing? Giving people a "big head" over nothing" type of thing

I do hope you understand what I mean and again, I apologise for using you like that.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by MsLurker(f): 5:09pm On Oct 28, 2008
I understand now. smiley

I just wanted to make sure that it was clear what I was trying to say and that I wasn't ego tripping. smiley

I agree with your statements, though. smiley No harm, no foul.

I agree though, you can't give someone or something too much power. We are all humans with our own mind.
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by JJYOU: 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2008
Baby Jinx:

I need to apologize, I didn't mean t jump on you like that. Your response, which like you rightfully stated is a product of what you gleaned from the posts, made it easier for me to use you or rather your post as jumping off point to admonish my fellow Nigerians. . . the ones who are so quick to blame the Western Culture (whatever that is) for every evil thing that happens to us.

They don't realize they inadvertently do two things with talks like that. . .

1) Giving too much credit to one who deserves none
2) Painting a picture of us. . . Nigerians are brainless fools who just go with the flow.

Again, It wasn't really about you per se. . .  it was more a "Look what you guys are doing? Giving people a "big head" over nothing" type of thing

I do hope you understand what I mean and again, I apologise for using you like that.
I apologise for using you like that
maturity that is rare on NL
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by BabyJinx: 7:35pm On Oct 28, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

I understand now. smiley

I just wanted to make sure that it was clear what I was trying to say and that I wasn't ego tripping. smiley

I agree with your statements, though. smiley No harm, no foul.

I agree though, you can't give someone or something too much power. We are all humans with our own mind.

kiss kiss kiss For that. grin

JJYOU:

[b][/b] maturity that is rare on NL

Maturity? What Maturity. . .  

Tee hee heee. . . kiss
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by JJYOU: 11:05am On Oct 29, 2008
Apology ma'am. it takes maturity to do
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by abujabooks(f): 12:19am On Nov 01, 2008
Negative!
Re: Do You Think Western Culture Has A Positive Influence On The Nigerian Youth? by handsespen: 7:48am On Sep 22, 2017
Influence of Western Television Programmes on the Cultural Values of Nigeria Youths (A Case Study of Caritas Students, Enugu)

“The media are central in provision of ideas and images which the people use in interpreting and understanding a great deal of their everyday experience”. More specific work relating to Tv is seen in Walter Lippman’s theory of pictures. He says that what we watch on Tv and other media form images in our heads. They shape our attitudes, perception and behaviors.

http://www.scharticles.com/influence-of-western-television-programmes-on-the-cultural-values-of-nigeria-youths/

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? / Visa Lottery Reveals Wife's Infidelity / Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.