Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya (1436 Views)

Militants Take Over Arepo Creeks In Ogun / Imo Civil Servants Strike Over Govt's Insensitivity To Their Welfare / List Of Ministries In The Federal Republic Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by maasoap(m): 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2014
Libya’s militias have captured most government ministries in the capital, Tripoli, the government has said.

Armed men had blocked staff from entering offices, it added in a statement.

On Sunday, militiamen seized the US embassy with videos showing cheering men diving from a balcony into a swimming pool.

Libya has been hit by anarchy since Col Muammar Gaddafi was overthrown by the NATO-backed militias in 2011.

The militias have been fighting for power among themselves since then, with an Islamist-linked group, Libya Dawn, capturing Tripoli last week.

Senior government officials and the elected parliament moved to the eastern city of Tobruk, more than 1,000km (620 miles) away, last month.

“We announce that most ministries, institutions and state bodies in the capital Tripoli are out of our control,” the government statement said.

The US and other countries evacuated their embassy staff in July, as fighting escalated for control of Tripoli.

Libya’s central bank and the state oil company are based in the city.

Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni and his cabinet resigned last week so that the parliament, elected in July, could choose a new government.

The elections were the second since Col Gaddafi was killed in the 2011 revolution, but hopes that the polls would help restore stability in Libya have failed to materialise.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by DePartfinder: 1:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
Just a matter of time before they take over in Nigeria too
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by DePartfinder: 1:58pm On Sep 01, 2014
Just a matter of time before they take over in Nigeria too.......smh!
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by maasoap(m): 1:59pm On Sep 01, 2014
Were the People of Libya really liberated? Were they not better off under Gaddafi? How many people are even aware that American diplomats are no more in Libya today? That is how bad the situation is. Many are even perishing in the ocean week in week out in an attempt to escape being killed by the militants. Same goes for Iraq. So much for liberation. What is the essence of liberation that put militants and extremists in a position that enables them to be in control?

5 Likes

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by LaurelP(m): 2:01pm On Sep 01, 2014
K
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by 2cato: 2:21pm On Sep 01, 2014
And out of stupidity and foolishness that is how APC blind bats in nairaland want nigeria to become.

2 Likes

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 2:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
maasoap: Were the People of Libya really liberated? Were they not better off under Gaddafi? How people are even aware that American diplomats are no more in Libya today? That is how bad the situation is. Many are even perishing in the ocean week in week out in an attempt to escape being killed by the militants. Same goes for Iraq. So much for liberation. What is the essence of liberation that put militants and extremists in a position that enables them to be in control?
Gaddafi should have left when he could, but the Libyan people made a very huge mistake pitching their tent with islamic militant to oust their leader.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by IGBOSON1: 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2014
cirmuell: Gaddafi should have left when he could, but the Libyan people made a very huge mistake pitching their tent with islamic militant to oust their leader.

Wasn't he leaving when the US and so called 'rebels' hunted him down and bombed his convoy with a drone missile?

The stupi/d Libyans deserve all that's coming to them! Where now are the bloody Americans that instigated and fueled the whole uprising?

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by eyeview: 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2014
This goes to justify the saying that 'every country deserves the kind of leadership it had'. Look at Libya today,weren't these rebel groups unheard of during the time of Mahman Ghaddafi? What of Iraq? Where was the ISIS and other terrorist groups when Saddam Hussien was in authority? None of them dared coughed. Where was the muslim brotherhood when Hosni Bubarak held sway in Eygpt. Even in Nigeria,where was Boko haram when Obj was holding sway?
These leaders were called tyrants,they ruled with iron hands. Today we all can see why they had to be tough,now they are no longer there and these monsters have raised their ugly heads, killing and destroying lives and properties.
Sometimes,there are reasons why the leader must be authocratic.

4 Likes

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 5:13pm On Sep 01, 2014
IGBOSON1:

Wasn't he leaving when the US and so called 'rebels' hunted him down and bombed his convoy with a drone missile?

The stupi/d Libyans deserve all that's coming to them! Where now are the bloody Americans that instigated and fueled the whole uprising?
get this right, America didn't have a hand in the uprising!

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2014
eyeview: This goes to justify the saying that 'every country deserves the kind of leadership it had'. Look at Libya today,weren't these rebel groups unheard of during the time of Mahman Ghaddafi? What of Iraq? Where was the ISIS and other terrorist groups when Saddam Hussien was in authority? None of them dared coughed. Where was the muslim brotherhood when Hosni Bubarak held sway in Eygpt. Even in Nigeria,where was Boko haram when Obj was holding sway?
These leaders were called tyrants,they ruled with iron hands. Today we all can see why they had to be tough,now they are no longer there and these monsters have raised their ugly heads, killing and destroying lives and properties.
Sometimes,there are reasons why the leader must be authocratic.
are you implying that those you mentioned up there were good guys during their time?
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by IGBOSON1: 7:14pm On Sep 01, 2014
cirmuell: get this right, America didn't have a hand in the uprising!

^^^Wait, lemme confirm your assertion with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy! smiley

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 7:37pm On Sep 01, 2014
cirmuell: are you implying that those you mentioned up there were good guys during their time?
then who are the good guys now?...go and ask the people of Libya whether they prefer Gaddafi to what is happening now?

5 Likes

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 3:40pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: then who are the good guys now?...go and ask the people of Libya whether they prefer Gaddafi to what is happening now?
dude that's why i said they made a huge mistake joining forces with terrorist. He was bound to go anyway, the guy was already loosing popularity among his people, the arab spring fueled the already tensed atmosphere.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2014
cirmuell: dude that's why i said they made a huge mistake joining forces with terrorist. He was bound to go anyway, the guy was already loosing popularity among his people, the arab spring fueled the already tensed atmosphere.
you talk as if terrorist are written on someone's face..the masses were there all this while and the country is relatively peaceful with things far better there than Nigeria for instance in all ramifications until the west suddenly started writing thrash against him,his opposition cashed in on it and mobilized the masses against him through revolution..now their enemy Ghadafi is gone, the west has left them and their country is in shambles..it will take them centuries to get back to where they were before ..same thing happening in Nigeria here..you don't know what you have until you lose it..
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 4:01pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: you talk as if terrorist are written on someone's face..the masses were there all this while and the country is relatively peaceful with things far better there than Nigeria for instance in all ramifications until the west suddenly started writing thrash against him,his opposition cashed in on it and mobilized the masses against him through revolution..now their enemy Ghadafi is gone, the west has left them and their country is in shambles..it will take them centuries to get back to where they were before ..same thing happening in Nigeria here..you don't know what you have until you lose it..would have love to let you know what actually went down but me ba3 is flat now. I'll get back to you bro
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2014
[quote author=cirmuell][/quote]No qualms bro..
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 7:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: you talk as if terrorist are written on someone's face..the masses were there all this while and the country is relatively peaceful with things far better there than Nigeria for instance in all ramifications until the west suddenly started writing thrash against him,his opposition cashed in on it and mobilized the masses against him through revolution..now their enemy Ghadafi is gone, the west has left them and their country is in shambles..it will take them centuries to get back to where they were before ..same thing happening in Nigeria here..you don't know what you have until you lose it..
I'm back, I'll do it one post at a time to allow for your own argument.... to counter the bolded bro, plans to remove him from power has been on since 1993 with several attempted coup. The embargo placed on tripoli back then gave birth to what later took his life.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 8:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
cirmuell: I'm back, I'll do it one post at a time to allow for your own argument.... to counter the bolded bro, plans to remove him from power has been on since 1993 with several attempted coup. The embargo placed on tripoli back then gave birth to what later took his life.
I'm not against his own people trying to topple his regime considering the time he has held power, not withstanding how viable and peaceful the country is,..my question is what crime did Ghadafi committed which warrant the west through NATO forces to invade Libya and subsequently killed him?
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 9:05pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: I'm not against his own people trying to topple his regime considering the time he has held power, not withstanding how viable and peaceful the country is,..my question is what crime did Ghadafi committed which warrant the west through NATO forces to invade Libya and subsequently killed him?
bro, Gaddafi crime is too numerous to mention. NATO get 'emselves involved only when he won't leave peacefully and started gunning his own country men down(does it ring a bell? yes, Syria), no, the world won't stand down and watch. I must remind you that man was a ruthless dictator that will do anything to remain in power(very desperate)
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 9:32pm On Sep 02, 2014
cirmuell: bro, Gaddafi crime is too numerous to mention. NATO get 'emselves involved only when he won't leave peacefully and started gunning his own country men down(does it ring a bell? yes, Syria), no, the world won't stand down and watch. I must remind you that man was a ruthless dictator that will do anything to remain in power(very desperate)
so what is happening now?..where is NATO?..US just left their embassy few weeks ago and the terrorist posted video of where they were swimming in US embassy's swimming pool..An average Libyan is regretting the death of Ghadafi ..that is the reality they found themselves now..the problem was that Ghadafi is trying to install his son as the president after ruling for forty something years...the masses were enjoying basic amenities all this while until a few corrupt politicians connived with the west and killed Ghadafi..the masses foolishly supported them..now where are those people fighting Ghadafi?...just get my point, I'm not in support of Ghadafi but what I'm trying to let you know is that we Africans should be patience and careful in handling this leadership crisis to avoid jumping from frying pan to fire..

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 9:39pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: so what is happening now?..where is NATO?..US just left their embassy few weeks ago and the terrorist posted video of where they were swimming in US embassy's swimming pool..An average Libyan is regretting the death of Ghadafi ..that is the reality they found themselves now..the problem was that Ghadafi is trying to install his son as the president after ruling for forty something years...the masses were enjoying basic amenities all this while until a few corrupt politicians connived with the west and killed Ghadafi..the masses foolishly supported them..now where are those people fighting Ghadafi?...just get my point, I'm not in support of Ghadafi but what I'm trying to let you know is that we Africans should be patience and careful in handling this leadership crisis to avoid jumping from frying pan to fire..
i get your point...but what are they(the west) supposed to do? they only helped the libyan people with their cause are they supposed to poke nose in their government too? won't that amount to something else? have you also forgotten that a US diplomat was killed in that same libya?('the same US people are accusing now')
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
cirmuell: i get your point...but what are they(the west) supposed to do? they only helped the libyan people with their cause are they supposed to poke nose in their government too? won't that amount to something else? have you also forgotten that a US diplomat was killed in that same libya?('the same US people are accusing now')
not that I'm accusing them..problem is why can't they help the people of Lybia now?..they are quick to help them because according to them, Ghadafi is committing crime against humanity,...now tell me, which crime is bigger than what the people of Lybia is witnessing now...remember the same thing happened in Iraq..they invaded Iraq because according to them, there is nuclear weapon in iraq... But up till now, they are yet to show the world the nuclear weapon they found in Iraq...now what is the state of Iraq?...ISIS just beheaded another journalist this evening..this is part of what they created..

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by seanet02: 10:33pm On Sep 02, 2014
CyberWolf: not that I'm accusing them..problem is why can't they help the people of Lybia now?..they are quick to help them because according to them, Ghadafi is committing crime against humanity,...now tell me, which crime is bigger than what the people of Lybia is witnessing now...remember the same thing happened in Iraq..they invaded Iraq because according to them, there is nuclear weapon in iraq... But up till now, they are yet to show the world the nuclear weapon they found in Iraq...now what is the state of Iraq?...ISIS just beheaded another journalist this evening..this is part of what they created..
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 6:40am On Sep 03, 2014
CyberWolf: not that I'm accusing them..problem is why can't they help the people of Lybia now?..they are quick to help them because according to them, Ghadafi is committing crime against humanity,...now tell me, which crime is bigger than what the people of Lybia is witnessing now...remember the same thing happened in Iraq..they invaded Iraq because according to them, there is nuclear weapon in iraq... But up till now, they are yet to show the world the nuclear weapon they found in Iraq...now what is the state of Iraq?...ISIS just beheaded another journalist this evening..this is part of what they created..
the mistakes america always make is supporting rebels (they always create the monster they'l later fight in the future). The case in Libya is the matter of who controls what...there are still forces loyal to Gadaffi, and then the Islamic terrorist and the Libyan government of course...wherever the bolded is, there can never be peace especially when there is no force strong enough to checkmate them.

1 Like

Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by ziryboy(m): 7:12am On Sep 03, 2014
cirmuell: are you implying that those you mentioned up there were good guys during their time?
if you don't know they are good guys then you are an idiot.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by ziryboy(m): 7:16am On Sep 03, 2014
cirmuell: i get your point...but what are they(the west) supposed to do? they only helped the libyan people with their cause are they supposed to poke nose in their government too? won't that amount to something else? have you also forgotten that a US diplomat was killed in that same libya?('the same US people are accusing now')
you don't know anyting, is better you shot up.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by redsun(m): 7:23am On Sep 03, 2014
Arab world is going back into the the dark age.
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 7:52am On Sep 03, 2014
cirmuell: the mistakes america always make is supporting rebels (they always create the monster they'l later fight in the future). The case in Libya is the matter of who controls what...there are still forces loyal to Gadaffi, and then the Islamic terrorist and the Libyan government of course...wherever the bolded is, there can never be peace especially when there is no force strong enough to checkmate them.
I concur with you..so what is your suggestion on how to handle the bolded or better still prevent them from springing up?..hope ur night was cool?
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by cirmuell(m): 9:35am On Sep 03, 2014
CyberWolf: I concur with you..so what is your suggestion on how to handle the bolded or better still prevent them from springing up?..hope ur night was cool?
what those guys always bank on is economic stagnation, poverty and political crisis like this one...check everywhere they are around the world, one thing common is economic crisis and or poverty. If that can be solved, then they'l be history.

my night went well, thanks. hope yours was fine too. smiley
Re: Militants Take Over Govt Ministries In Libya by CyberWolf: 10:02am On Sep 03, 2014
cirmuell: what those guys always bank on is economic stagnation, poverty and political crisis like this one...check everywhere they are around the world, one thing common is economic crisis and or poverty. If that can be solved, then they'l be history.

my night went well, thanks. hope yours was fine too. smiley
That's true and another way is for countries to always be patient and more professional in handling their political/leadership crisis ..they should never allow external forces to join hands in fighting their leaders no matter how bad they are..

Mine was cool...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bloodbath Averted As Obiano’s Anoints Candidate For House Of Reps / "I have no enemies to fight.-GEJ / Behold! The Leopard Of River State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.