Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home (25094 Views)

Delta Hospital Stockpiles Corpses In The Open (Pictured) / FG Bars Corpses Of Nigerians From Abroad / Doctor Claims Corpses Could Be Revived 24-hours After Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Smooyis(m): 8:30am On Sep 03, 2014
meforyou1: you think igbos are like you that don't have culture? No matter how long it takes, we will wait, and those corpses must go home
I really sympathise with the families of the bereaved. But there are some areas of our culture that should be done without. Whichever way we look at it, heaven is the ultimate home of man. It is good corpses are taken home and the dead given befitting burial, but it should not be done at the risk of life of the living.
Many of us who speak in favour of culture and tradition are practising christians or muslims, but they forget that to God, the manner of death or of burial is not really as important as we see them to be.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by felifeli: 8:31am On Sep 03, 2014
tit:

why are you showing me your teeth.
I hope they are not yellow like tinubu own.
Them go dey smell.

Anyway, this eBola of a thingy
Just wait till december.
Eboe people will travel to village for december
and they will not come back to lagos again
Lai Lai!

AMIN LORUKO JESU !! grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Christmasdon(m): 8:33am On Sep 03, 2014
Its annoying that nothing is being done to contain this deadly disease. Ebola . Urm! EBOLA VIRUS IS a deadly disease that transform the blood to water. Be cautioned. Stay safe.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 03, 2014
MayorofLagos:

... Then his wife must go through the ritual of shaving head and when the body arrives and is washed she must drink the waste water...

Sorry but NOT all igbo people follow this tradition.
undecided

woodcook: Drink what? cry cry I doubt people still do, I believe Nollywood is responsible for the spread of such believe system.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by gistmelove(m): 8:35am On Sep 03, 2014
Eyaa R.I.P to the dead...
But wetin mr raji dey look now??

Make he crement them sharperly

1 Like

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by 360command: 8:36am On Sep 03, 2014
MayorofLagos:

We have to respect Ibo tradition here...cant just burn them.

Typically when an ibo dies on foreign soil it takes two to three months in morgue before his loved ones collect enough money to transport the body home. Then his wife must go through the ritual of shaving head and when the body arrives and is washed she must drink the waste water.

sir, I respect culture and tradition but why would the widow be allowed or forced to drink such dirty water or waste water as you put it?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 03, 2014
Drink what? cry cry I doubt people still do that, I believe Nollywood is responsible for the spread of such old traditions passing it off as if its still in "vogue".

1 Like

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by justi4jesu(f): 8:40am On Sep 03, 2014
Superstar007: LoL. . This title sha grin

very funny title..lolz grin
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by felifeli: 8:41am On Sep 03, 2014
But why dem dey come Lagos to die na ? Their villages no good to die ?

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by justi4jesu(f): 8:41am On Sep 03, 2014
MayorofLagos:

We have to respect Ibo tradition here...cant just burn them.

Typically when an ibo dies on foreign soil it takes two to three months in morgue before his loved ones collect enough money to transport the body home. Then his wife must go through the ritual of shaving head and when the body arrives and is washed she must drink the waste water.

If no one claims the bodies we will declare them abandoned and invite Obiano to make arrangements to receive them at Onitsha.

Ewwwwwwwwwwww....so grosssssss embarassed

1 Like

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Arysexy(m): 8:42am On Sep 03, 2014
yim:
U and ur friend are ignorant, abeg dey watch news.
@ d topic,corpses should be buried where dey die cos of d the risk attached now. They have to understand. It is for a greater good

U are a heavy mumu that listens to news but don't understand what u heard.

The essence of the restrictions is to stop ONLY bodies that might have died if ebola.

What evidence do u have to show those bodied died from Ebola? Most bodies being conveyed inter-state are accompanied by a doctor's report on cause of death, why will relations of dead ones be made to go to Abuja and get clearance before conveying their dead ones when the, could get it at teaching hospitals or federal medical centers?

u are only blabbing bc this complaint is coming from igbos but don't worry u may be affected tomorrow then u will experience d torment.

Anuofia

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Btruth: 8:46am On Sep 03, 2014
daben1: If the family would just agree, the bodies should just cremated if not, the family will b exposed 2 the virus...
Have you been told that the corpses has the virus? Anyway, the best thing is for the government to carry out test on each corpse to determine the cause of death, otherwise, government should release the dead for their owner to be buried..... FG should not create "Ti Oluwa ni ile" part 2 in Nigeria oooo.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 03, 2014
publicenemy:

What is this..?

You just want to occupy space abi?
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 03, 2014
tit: mayor,
make una just burn the corpses.
they will be a danger to public safety in the next one month.
you know this ebola spreads by geometric proportion.
one person can infect 20 people. and it takes about 21 days to show.
right now August nigeria has about 200 cases
by the end of september that would be 200 X 20 = 4000 cases (with 50% mortality).
by the end of October that would be 4000 X 20 = 80,000 cases
november is 80,000 X 20 = 1,600,000 that is one million lagosians!

by december, nobody will be able to keep count.
so now you have 1000 corpses, just make bonfire.
you can share the ashes.

You are not making any sense; so if u were the bereaved, u will allow your loved ones corpses to be cremated, even when ðεƔ didn't die of ebola? I pity this generation of nigerian youths

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by epospiky(m): 8:50am On Sep 03, 2014
I find this restriction too harsh.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by makzeze: 8:51am On Sep 03, 2014
May Peace continue to reign in Naija.

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by chuksmad(m): 9:01am On Sep 03, 2014
EbukaNri:

Sorry but NOT all igbo people follow this tradition.
undecided

There is no part of igbo land, this tradition of drinking dead body water is existing. It was in the past, and not all igbo people. It was only for wicked family that may be suspecting the wife on having a hand in the death of her husband. Please be guided

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by abu12: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2014
meforyou1: you think igbos are like you that don't have culture? No matter how long it takes, we will wait, and those corpses must go home

What kind of stupid culture are you talking about? How many of ur brothers who die in boko haram bomb blast are brought back home for burial? Is not mass burial the govt usually give them nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 03, 2014
Lilimax: Yeah!

I learnt of one Igbo family that lost their loved one in Lagos recently but due to the restrictions placed on movement of corpses in Nigeria, they decided to smuggle the corpse to the east at night.(their aged mother having warned them not deposit her in a morgue if she dies)

She was strapped on the car seat with her head gear on and her face fully made up with pancake and lipstick.
When you look at her you'll think she was sleeping; and this was how she was brought home and buried the next day.

Every other person may not be this lucky without being caught. smiley

Does the dead know where it will be buried?

We are nothing but slave to our culture and traditions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by omogidi234(m): 9:15am On Sep 03, 2014
EMMASON125: A friend of my told me that almost 90% Lagosian is infected with eBola. FG should kukuma quarantine Lagos state to curtail the spread

And you believe this?
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by cityexams: 9:15am On Sep 03, 2014
Just Few Days left for 2014/2015 WAEC/G.C.E to start.

Get A's in all your Subjects without stress.

Receive W.A.E.C / G.C.E answers, Both Obj. And Theory live on your mobile phone.

Visit WWW.CITYEXAM.ML For More Details smiley

Dont Be Left out.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by stevecantrell: 9:16am On Sep 03, 2014
gift01: 1,000 huh?

Astonishing.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by BetaThings: 9:19am On Sep 03, 2014
ifysimple:

You call it barbaric ba? Because its not your culture. If its your culture now it wont be barbaric. Some of you on this forum self, i dnt know when this tribal wars will stop. Its unfortunate!
I am a Muslim, We can bury people where they die
Seriously speaking, since Igbos are mostly Christians, can they not bury them in Christian cemeteries?
I mean can the tradition not yield to religion?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by aguizm(m): 9:20am On Sep 03, 2014
What kind of stupid culture are you talking about? How many of ur brothers who die in boko haram bomb blast are brought back home for burial? Is not mass burial the govt usually give them nonsense. Ofenmanu people reasoning through their guitar string tribal mark since 1880 .Ndi annu mpama

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by osnova(m): 9:20am On Sep 03, 2014
LET EM DEAD PEOPLE REST IN PEACE
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by omega2128(m): 9:23am On Sep 03, 2014
I'm highly surprised,
this set of arrogant people claimed that Lagos is no man's land, Lagos is their birthright- now call Lagos foreign land.
No clearance for any dead body, its either bury here in Yoruba land or cremate. Shikena
Well, they are just ARROGANT HYPOCRITES

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by meforyou1(m): 9:26am On Sep 03, 2014
Yomieluv: see your shallow thinking,so because of your yeye custom,and culture,the public must be put at risk. Do you think you made any sense with what you wrote up there?

Whoever that's dead,is dead.
it will not make sense to you because you don't have culture. Our igbo corpses don't get left behind in strangers' lands. They will all surely get to their parents' or husbands' compounds.
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 03, 2014
1000! shocked
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by meforyou1(m): 9:28am On Sep 03, 2014
omega2128: I'm highly surprised,
this set of arrogant people claimed that Lagos is no man's land, Lagos is their birthright- now call Lagos foreign land.
No clearance for any dead body, its either bury here in Yoruba land or cremate. Shikena
Well, they are just ARROGANT HYPOCRITES
lagos is no man's land for sure. But our corpses get back to families' ancestral homes. We are not like all you stateless people.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by RedArmies12: 9:29am On Sep 03, 2014
Dcaliphate: this is the only reason i like the Hausas, u get buried wherever u die, shikena.
That's just it!
Re: Igbo Corpses In Lagos Await To Be Reunited Back Home by meforyou1(m): 9:32am On Sep 03, 2014
abu12:

What kind of stupid culture are you talking about? How many of ur brothers who die in boko haram bomb blast are brought back home for burial? Is not mass burial the govt usually give them nonsense
no matter how long it takes, we will still go and exhume them and take them back home for befitting burial

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AS Genotype Couples, Please I Need Your Advise / Steps You Should Take In Case Of An LPG Cylinder Gas Leak / 6 Reasons Why You Need Braces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.