Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,680 members, 7,823,919 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass (2097 Views)

Its Either You Are On First Class Or 2:1.... / 6 Reasons Why Discrimination Against 2.2 & 3rd Class Graduates Should Stop / Did You Graduate With A 3rd Class Or Pass Grade? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Mist100: 2:05pm On Sep 03, 2014
You think because of your grade you are not good enough for that job role because you were not called for an interview? You just might be wrong. Sometimes you are qualified for a job role, you have requisite experience yet its difficult landing a job. Let me explain. A number of factors stand against you just like many other candidates out there. The race is brutal. One of such factor is that computer.

Computer algorithms are designed to help HR screen candidates amongst the tens of thousand applying for a job role by an elimination process. Through complex algorithms and matrices the computer searches for key words in your CV's. The implication of this is; a good CV from a qualified candidate lacking in those key words but containing similar words will be eliminated by the system whilst a CV from a less qualified candidate containing those key words will be shortlisted. So the home work then is knowing the right keywords.

I have challenged a number of HRs to apply for the same jobs they advertise if their beautiful CVs will pass through their own computer algorithm (screening process). Guess what? few did and they were eliminated. Its nobody's fault. Like lottery, there is an element of luck in all of these but don't be lazy and don't be too hard on your self.

A lot of HR and CEOs have been sharing wonderful insights with me for my TV show. Its been mind blowing. I will be sharing these insights with you on nairaland.. I also want HR personells to help shed light on this.

By the way Where are the geniuses jarus and xfire?
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Exponental(m): 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2014
CV errors affected me sometimes ago. I actually saw d advert late n was very busy @ work then (I think we were preparing for an audit). I quickly forwarded a CV on d system not knowing it was corrupt. When d HR head saw it, he said, what is this? He stood up, n that was d end. His colleague showed me what I sent, though my details where there but mixed with jaggons. I cried cos dat was d final stage after exams, a stage many didnt get to.
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Davidbee(m): 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
List the keywords here

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by obiscolly(m): 4:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
Is the thread about grades or CV writing

Well concerning what you said about keywords, that's very true. I didn't learn this till about 4 months into my search and i missed so many opportunities. I've been getting more interviews since I implemented the keyword changes. Cover letters are also very important.

2 Likes

Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Mist100: 5:44pm On Sep 03, 2014
Exponental: CV errors affected me sometimes ago. I actually saw d advert late n was very busy @ work then (I think we were preparing for an audit). I quickly forwarded a CV on d system not knowing it was corrupt. When d HR head saw it, he said, what is this? He stood up, n that was d end. His colleague showed me what I sent, though my details where there but mixed with jaggons. I cried cos dat was d final stage after exams, a stage many didnt get to.

so sorry.
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Mist100: 5:45pm On Sep 03, 2014
obiscolly: Is the thread about grades or CV writing

Well concerning what you said about keywords, that's very true. I didn't learn this till about 4 months into my search and i missed so many opportunities. I've been getting more interviews since I implemented the keyword changes. Cover letters are also very important.
for the sake of the house can you shed light. The keywords that made the difference.

3 Likes

Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by ojun50(m): 7:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
I was able to defend the error on my CV in front of the HR whn he notice dat i knw what am doing he said no problem after the oral interview i left 2days later i got the job.

What i can say to any one searching for job he or she should be able to defend or understand is CV no matter the errors.

Never u say i don't no because dat were the problem we start
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by obiscolly(m): 8:01pm On Sep 03, 2014
Mist100:
for the sake of the house can you shed light. The keywords that made the difference.
Use Action Words: Managed team, Led campaign, Organized project, Improved efficiency, Won award, etc..

Keywords that sell your skills include: teamwork, analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, leadership, etc..
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Ayoola171(m): 9:14pm On Sep 03, 2014
Interesting.
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by sholay2011(m): 11:13pm On Sep 03, 2014
ojun50: I was able to defend the error on my CV in front of the HR whn he notice dat i knw what am doing he said no problem after the oral interview i left 2days later i got the job.

What i can say to any one searching for job he or she should be able to defend or understand is CV no matter the errors.

Never u say i don't no because dat were the problem we start
Wow!

I want to assume you were in haste when posting this. An edit would do; and please, punctuation marks where necessary.

Not that 'English-speaking/writing' is the ticket to getting a job though. .. don't mind me.

1 Like

Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by dmcdad: 11:40pm On Sep 03, 2014
sholay2011:
Wow!

I want to assume you were in haste when posting this. An edit would do; and please, punctuation marks where necessary.

Not that 'English-speaking/writing' is the ticket to getting a job though. .. don't mind me.
I get you... cheesy
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by ojun50(m): 6:04am On Sep 04, 2014
sholay2011:
Wow!

noted thanks man
Re: Whats Your Grade 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd Or Pass by Exponental(m): 5:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
Mist100:

so sorry.
thanks..... Destiny tinz!

(1) (Reply)

Pricewatercoopers (pwc) Graduate Recruitment 2015 / GM Integrated Services Limited. Who Knows Them? / Dear 2017 Applicant, There Is NO List Of Candidates Anywhere.just Keep Calm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.