Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital (1125 Views)

Suspected Ebola Victim In Victoria Island Lagos (Pictures) / Suspected Ebola Victim In Surulere Lagos Dies / Suspected Ebola Victim Detected In Surulere Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by uzoexcel(m): 2:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
British nurse described himself as "very lucky" to have survived after catching the deadly virus Ebola while volunteering in a Sierra Leone hospital

Ebola victim William Pooley has been discharged from hospital as he told how "very lucky" he is to have survived the deadly virus.

The volunteer nurse, the first Briton known to have caught Ebola in the current outbreak in West Africa, was flown back to the UK for treatment on August 24 after contracting the virus in Sierra Leone.

Mr Pooley, 29, was being cared for at a special unit at the Royal Free Hospital in north London but the hospital announced he was being discharged on Wednesday morning.

Speaking at a press conference, he said he had been "very lucky" to survive and told how his symptoms had never progressed to the worst stages of the disease.

He said he had "some pretty high temperature for a few days from the day I was evacuated" but "I never had any vomiting".
"I was very lucky in several ways," he said. "Firstly in the standard of care which I received, which is a world apart from what people are receiving in West Africa at the moment despite a lot of aid organisations' best efforts.

"My symptoms never progressed to the worst stages of the disease. [Compared to] the people that I've seen dying horrible deaths, I had some unpleasant symptoms but nothing compared to the worst of the disease."

The nurse, who comes from the small village of Eyke in Suffolk, was airlifted back to Britain in a specially equipped C17 RAF aircraft.

Colleagues said he caught the disease, transmitted through contact with blood or other bodily fluids, because he was working such long hours that he was bound to “make a mistake” in his precautions.

He is credited with saving dozens of lives by making sure a hospital at the centre of the outbreak remained open.

The Department of Health said he was “not seriously unwell” when he arrived in the UK but experts had predicted it could be months before he was cleared.

Mr Pooley was being treated with the experimental drug ZMapp – the same medication credited with saving the lives of two American missionaries earlier last month.

It had been thought that supplies of ZMapp had run out, but doctors at the Royal Free Hospital managed to get hold of some from abroad.

Source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11072041/Ebola-victim-William-Pooley-discharged-from-hospital.html

Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by nora544: 2:19pm On Sep 03, 2014
"Firstly in the standard of care which I received, which is a world apart from what people are receiving in West Africa at the moment despite a lot of aid organisations' best efforts.

That what he says is very important and that is what I didnot hear from the american who put all on God.
Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by uzoexcel(m): 2:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
dnt mind dat american....he couldav stayed back in africa nd let his faith heal him
nora544:

That what he says is very important and that is what I didnot hear from the american who put all on God.
Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by RichDad1(m): 2:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
uzoexcel: dnt mind dat american....he couldav stayed back in africa nd let his faith heal him
He's entitled to his opinion.He can as well attribute it to OBATALA if he deem fit. Why the fuss? Face ya work

2 Likes

Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by phreakabit(m): 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2014
Ebola Victim ke?
Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by vodkat: 4:01am On Sep 04, 2014
C the problem with naija everything we are the last. Our health facilities are extremely bad meanwhile our so called leaders will travel abroad to treat headache yet they cannot ensure that we have world class health facilities. Now we r begging oyinbo to give us drug when their government was providing money for scientist to do research our own are lookin for ways to hide money in Swiss bank or use it to buy property abroad that nobody will use.

All the money that babangida, abacha, obasanjo,danjuma, anenih bode George, aikhomu, yaradua and jonathan amOngst others have stolen govt coffers

1 Like

Re: Ebola Victim, William Pooley (UK) Discharged From Hospital by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 04, 2014
na wa o

and they said it has finished or something..anyway africa we should blame ourselves

op, mod, mynd44 and seun ... this should be on front page now...is this not ebola topic ni

(1) (Reply)

Do Nigerians Have Dental Records? / How To Control Dandruff Problem Through Home Remedies / Food That Improves Our Eyesight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.