Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites (40313 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by zurine(f): 12:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
wow
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 04, 2014
itsIYKE: are u sure therez a brain in ur head? or is it cotton wool u Hve there
niether,im sure that u Ave a functioning brain.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by itiswellalreay: 12:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
deebee13: That's lovely. But note one thing @op, not every Nigerian goes abroad to marry cos of class or too much money. Same way this ones did it here cos de love our culture could be d same reason I'm going to Paris, Mexico, Miami or Dubai to have mine!

They admired the culture of the ppl they live among them. Am sure if they were in their home country they wouldn't have traveled to Nigeria, Igboland precisely for their marriage.

Well everybody does what suites his/her taste whether for good or myopic reason
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Prettilicious(f): 12:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
ogbuchukwuemeka: I have always said it, that white wedding is a borrowed culture which I have hated but most of our generation prefer fake life
abeg ooooo no b borrowed culture weddin u go also do? oya lie make i hear u.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by hensben(m): 12:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
if you tell a nigerian to value his culture, he will say we are in 21st century...how your way of life(culture) take concern technology
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by meek2stylee(m): 1:00pm On Sep 04, 2014
chukjojo: go and tell your catholic parish priest that one.
who gives a fvck abt d what d priests fink is what u want dem to do dat they re doin,,,,,,,,,,,,bk to wen tradition was d institution of marriages u hardly hear of divorce buh with d so called church wedding got our wanna be oyibo gals divorce is now d ringing tone of marriages,,,,,,,,,,,,imagine som1 coming to pay my sis bride price wih mineral and mouth,,,,,,,,,,,,,only God will save u dat day
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by MarieSucre(f): 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
Make me sef go live for one village in Italo with my boo, so we can get married according to their culture. or maybe India... ;DMake me sef go live for one village in Italo with my boo, so we can get married according to their culture. or maybe India...
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Itulah(m): 1:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
Who him pay her bride price to cry cry and that annoying 5 pages long list of required item which 1.5Million can not afford? cry cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Breeze5000: 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2014
ogbuchukwuemeka: I have always said it, that white wedding is a borrowed culture which I have hated but most of our generation prefer fake life

There is no such thing as White thing as White Wedding just as there are no Such thing as Borrowed Culture!..
The Marriage Proper is when the Two Families Meets and Agree (What you call Native Law and Custom) After that they go to the Church for Blessings (Which has also been transformed to Wedding)... For the Culture thing, you Practice a Culture because you Like it and it Makes sense to you, Doesnt mean you are Borrowing it... Cos when you Borrow Something, you must eventually return it... Bless
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by SELENAqueensy(f): 3:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
And their people will also be like....
'So they can't appreciate their own culture, why would they choose to perform their marriage in Nigeria?'
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
What wedding rights are we gonna follow dearie
SELENAqueensy: And their people will also be like....
'So they can't appreciate their own culture, why would they choose to perform their marriage in Nigeria?'
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by SELENAqueensy(f): 4:02pm On Sep 04, 2014
Unibenstudent: What wedding rights are we gonna follow dearie

South Africa
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Really i would love our wedding to be done in wherever u want provided they will not include ring into it
SELENAqueensy:

South Africa
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by SELENAqueensy(f): 4:08pm On Sep 04, 2014
Unibenstudent: Really i would love our wedding to be done in wherever u want provided they will not include ring into it

Lol... Why No ring?
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
I wouldn't want our love to be confined to one metallic structure
SELENAqueensy:

Lol... Why No ring?
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by wildikeman(m): 4:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
And so what Don't we do white wedding and other western introduced weddings. How pathetic. One European couple does some african shit and you all are blabbing... Mtcheww
abagoro: An Italian couple recently stunned the people of Imo State when they wedded in a rural community of the state.

While many Nigerians would give an arm to have their wedding in Dubai, London, Paris or any other beautiful city in the world, an Italian couple, Kevin Prattico and Carmola Guardsch, chose the rustic community of Umuduruzo in Amaigbo, Nwangele council area of Imo State to consummate their marital union.On August 17, Kevin Prattico and his wife Carmola Guardsch, who work for Azione Verde, a Non-Governmental Organization at Amaigbo, decided to have both their traditional and Christian weddings in the town to the delight and amazement of the locals who trooped out en masse to witness their marriage.
Speaking to Oriental News, Prattico revealed that their decision to have their wedding at Umuduruzo community was because of their love for the African culture.

He said that they also considered themselves as part of the community since they have lived and worked among the people of the community.

He said that the people of the  ommunity are very hospitable just as they see them irrespective of their colour and race as part of the community.

“We could have had our wedding in Italy or any of the European cities, but we chose to have it here in this community because we love the African culture and tradition and especially the traditional wedding ceremony which must be done before the Christian one. I must tell you that we love it because you don’t have this thing in Europe. Again we live and work among the people of this community and we also consider ourselves as part of this community.

“The people of this community are very hospitable and they regard us as members of the community and not as foreigners who live among them.

You can see that the entire people of the community came to celebrate

with us because they see us as part of them. Even the women have

already inducted my wife as member of the Catholic Women Organization after our Christian wedding and this shows that they accept us as part of this community and we are happy about it. We thank those who felicitated with us, we want others to also emulate us because the Igbo culture is good and should be preserved,” he said.

During the traditional wedding, Chief Isaac Duru while performing the traditional rites between the Italian couple commended them for their love and appreciation of the Igbo culture.

He also admonished them to love each other as husband and wife, adding that in Igbo culture marriage is a highly valued institution as he thanked God for bringing them together.

Similarly, the Parish Priest of Saint Joseph’s Catholic Church,

Reverend Father Boniface Duru, a native of Umuduruzo, who officiated

at the Christian wedding while blessing the couple encouraged them to live in peace and to put God first in all they do to merit his immense blessings.

Fr. Duru, who is the founder of Azione Verde that brought the Italians to assist in humanitarian work of the organization in Amaigbo, admonished the gathering to always love their neighbours regardless where they may come from, saying that God is love.

His words: “We are all the same people regardless of the colour of our skins, we must always show love, care to our neighbours because God is love. The large number of people who came to witness this ceremony today is an indication that the newly wedded couples have been accepted as part of this community and we are happy for them.

“It has been over 12 years when the Italians came to Nigeria and established schools and hospitals just to help the needy. They came because they are very much interested in our customs and we Africans should value our cultures. This traditional wedding demonstrates their love and enthusiasm for African way of life”.

Domenico Agatiello, who spoke on behalf of the Italians and the charity workers at the event, expressed their profound joy and happiness for the newly wedded couples and for identifying with the Igbo culture who have shown them love and hospitality.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=79917
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by oluamid(m): 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
Wow! I absolutely love this.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by DECOtech(m): 8:17pm On Sep 04, 2014
musKeeto: Abeg, cameraman no dey the wedding?
Abi?! ...me sef don de find where the pictures dey since oh.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by tlops(m): 8:22pm On Sep 04, 2014
anonymous6: surprised and amazed; some Nigerians need to appreciate their culture

Some Italian need to appreciate their culture.

01mcfadden: 2face,you are my boss yet,with this,i say shame on you.
God bless the couple!
@The couple, after the weding,pls eat yeast and polish because i personaly want to see you rise and shine.

The italians came to Nigeria while the Nigerian went to dubai, whats d difference.

Erotex: Culture is our identity
I pity those who copy Europeans

Culture is our identity I pity those who copy Africans.

And the list goes on... It is people choice to do what they wish where they wish so u guys should mind your business.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by HandOfChukwu: 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2014
Oyibos are not a part of MY community and they never will be.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by londoner: 10:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
Its nice that they appreciate the culture and more so the COMMUNITY they are in.

I don't see why people are castigating some Nigerians though. Nigerians actually do the traditional wedding first also.

Just because they have one part of their wedding abroad, does not negate the traditional one they performed in Nigeria/or abroad. All of the entertainers that have been marrying lately, have had traditional weddings before the white one.......Its the same with everyday folk too.

Tuface, the Okoyes, Tiwa etc......All had traditional as well as European ceremonies.

How many Nigerians in Nigeria do you know that did not do any traditional ceremony of any kind?
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by chiogoezubem(f): 12:23am On Sep 05, 2014
coolHmmm! Nice and impressive.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by anonymous6(f): 2:26am On Sep 05, 2014
Otamayomi1: [color=#990000][/color]
All nigerians.

Some Nigerians are already appreciating their culture and some are not the ones that are not are the ones I am talking about
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by mauriemaxwell: 5:58am On Sep 05, 2014
[quote
Abeg leave 2face alone author=01mcfadden]2face,you are my boss yet,with this,i say shame on
you.
God bless the couple!
@The couple, after the weding,pls eat yeast and polish because i
personaly want to see you rise and shine.
#Up here with sharp fellas,I've not been here since the beginning of
this year. Bartender,serve everybody with two plates of white pepper
soup and a bottle chilled 33. wink[/quote]
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Otamayomi1(f): 5:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
anonymous6:

Some Nigerians are already appreciating their culture and some are not the ones that are not are the ones I am talking about
[color=#990000][/color]
copy
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by continentalceo(m): 11:57am On Sep 06, 2014
Beautiful! Lesson to all those who don't appreciate their cultures, especially the igbos.
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by egoldman(m): 2:20pm On Sep 06, 2014
U see ? Yet our people , some of whom have never been to the airport will wear jeans so low you can see their underwear and go de yan " yoo men " and wazzup nigga "
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by igbo2011(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2014
This is great but why do we always have to seek validation from Europeans before we appreciate ourselves? Once white people start wearing African clothes then we start wearing the clothes and appreciating them as well

We should appreciate our culture without any other people's validation.

2 Likes

Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2014
anonymous6:
surprised and amazed; some Nigerians need to appreciate their culture

Why are you ''surprised and amazed''?
Re: Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites by anonymous6(f): 2:49am On Oct 12, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Why are you ''surprised and amazed''?

cause I would never expect that from a couple from Europe or any westernized country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aminu Sanusi Lamido Resumes Duty As Police Officer Officially (Photo) / Do You Seriously Think Black People Are Equal To White People In Intelligence? / The Ooni Of Ife Wearing The Aare Crown As He Parades The Ancient Ife Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.