Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc (3720 Views)

Pics Of A Soldier Showing Captives Rescued From Boko Haram In Banki Town Love / Ex US Army Chief Says Nigeria, Boko Haram Not Usa's Priority / Breaking: Boko Haram Seize Mubi In Adamawa, Sack Army HQ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:29pm On Sep 03, 2014
Nigeria's militant Islamist group Boko Haram has captured the town of Banki, which borders Cameroon, after government troops fled, residents say.

The military has not yet commented on the latest town to reportedly fall to the insurgents in recent weeks.

Fears have been raised that their main target is Maiduguri, the capital of north-eastern Borno state.

Boko Haram's "lightning territorial gains" could lead to Nigeria breaking up like Iraq, a think-thank has warned.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

"If Maiduguri falls, it will be a symbolic and strategic victory unparalleled so far in the conflict”

Nigeria Security Network
Last month, Boko Haram leader's declared an Islamic caliphate in areas under the group's control, following a similar declaration by the Islamic State (IS) group, previously known by the acronym Isis, after it captured parts of Iraq and Syria.

"Unless swift action is taken, Nigeria could be facing a rapid takeover of a large area of its territory reminiscent of Isis's lightning advances in Iraq," the Nigeria Security Network (NSN) said in a special report released on Tuesday entitled North-East Nigeria On The Brink.

"If Maiduguri falls, it will be a symbolic and strategic victory unparalleled so far in the conflict," it said.

"A successful attack could be followed by a take over of the whole of Borno state and possibly parts of Adamawa, Yobe, and neighbouring Cameroon."

The UN refugee agency has said the fighting has forced more than 10,000 people to flee to neighbouring Cameroon and Niger in the past week, the Associated Press news agency reports.

Meanwhile, regional foreign ministers have held talks in Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to discuss the growing security threat.

Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Benin and Niger agreed to step up security co-operation, including intelligence-gathering, to defeat the militants, a statement issued after the meeting said.

'Hiding in bush'
Residents from Banki say that government troops abandoned their posts as the militants advanced on the small border town on Tuesday.

Most of the people remaining in the town were women and children, as many of the men had fled, one man who was hiding in the bush nearby told the BBC Hausa service.

Some three million are facing a humanitarian crisis because of the conflict

Soldiers say they do not have enough resources to fight the insurgents

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has praised militants in Iraq
The militants have not harmed anyone in the town, residents said.

The capture of Banki gives Boko Haram leverage as it tries to secure territory beyond north-eastern Nigeria, says BBC Nigeria analyst Jimeh Saleh.

Earlier this week, Boko Haram seized Bama, the biggest town in Borno after Maiduguri, which is about 70km (45 miles) away.

Meanwhile, Cameroon's army has said that militants crossed into Cameroonian territory on Monday night.

The militants were pushed back after a three-hour battle, it said in a statement.

About 40 militants were killed and an army corporal was seriously wounded in the fighting, it added.

Boko Haram's five-year insurgency has intensified in recent months despite the deployment of thousands of extra troops to the worst-affected areas.

The military has denied that Nigeria's territorial integrity is threatened.

But Nigerian soldiers say they do not have enough resources to curb the insurgency.

In April, the militants captured more than 200 girls from a boarding school in the town of Chibok, also in Borno state.

Countries such as China, France, the UK and US have sent military assistance to help find the girls but they have not yet been rescued.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29048394?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
Eight towns reportedly gone?

We are finished as a country!

And the sponsor( PDP heavyweight) is busy shedding crocodile tears! angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by chudionu58(f): 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
Abeg who dey service telecom masts and also sell recharge cards for the "fleeing residents" or have the hitherto destroyed masts suddenly became operational? Certain things don't add up!!
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 03, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: Eight towns reportedly gone?

I know that this is good news to you so stop pretending

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by VirginFinder: 8:53pm On Sep 03, 2014
Honestly, I'm confused!

Who controls Bama? Nigeria or Boko Haram?

As for Banki, I await confirmation from the media.
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by oduastates: 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2014
From worst to worstest
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by oduastates: 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2014
From "worst" to "worstest"
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Jakpon: 8:59pm On Sep 03, 2014
It is high time Nigerians realise that Boko Haram is a very big monster, bigger that we can ever imagine
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by lilprinze: 9:07pm On Sep 03, 2014
Hmmm BBC have come again with their negative news that is always ridiculing our soldiers and Nigeria publicly.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by charly4tex(m): 9:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
Am sorry to say this, but i don't know what to believe anymore. Stories full of illusions, few days later you will hear another version of it.
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by BlackTechnology: 9:10pm On Sep 03, 2014
OP

Your map reveals that BH are planning to encircle Maiduguri

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by JANK23H(m): 9:35pm On Sep 03, 2014
@Op these are the sort of news you are quick to post. Sometimes I wonder the depth of your hatred for GEJ, that you long to see your country burn and her image destroyed as long as he remains president.

I'll wait till this news has been verified,before i make a comment. The BBC has lost it's credibility recently especially as it involves the war in the NorthEast.

Notice how they painted the NA and the men in bornu as cowards in the article and the camerounian army as a formidable force.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Forzap: 9:37pm On Sep 03, 2014

Abegi,U are finished nt we undecided grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 03, 2014
Jona is the best to have happened to Nigeria since independence. grin
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by meforyou1(m): 10:19pm On Sep 03, 2014
NgeneUkwenu, you are male, forget about the "f" you put as your sex, rather than creating this create eulogising boko haram as you APC e-maggots have started as late, why don't you go the nearest military location near you, buy form and go and join the military. And defeat boko haram. You coward that went to abakiliki and threatened to post ebonyi pictures but reneged after you were busted after posting the first one.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Firefire(m): 10:19pm On Sep 03, 2014

You need urgent DELIVERANCE... undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by meforyou1(m): 10:20pm On Sep 03, 2014

we are you and who? You and your APC e-rats are the ones who are finished

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by meforyou1(m): 10:20pm On Sep 03, 2014
Firefire:

You need urgent DELIVERANCE... undecided
dont mind the eediot
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:21pm On Sep 03, 2014
JANK23H: @Op these are the sort of news you are quick to post. Sometimes I wonder the depth of your hatred for GEJ, that you long to see your country burn and her image destroyed as long as he remains president.

I'll wait till this news has been verified,before i make a comment. The BBC has lost it's credibility recently especially as it involves the war in the NorthEast.

Notice how they painted the NA and the men in bornu as cowards in the article and the camerounian army as a formidable force.

Story!
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by tomakint: 10:28pm On Sep 03, 2014
This is why Seun keeps clamping on these loose 'Children of Belial' by banning them, locking their threads.....very unruly set of blood sucking human-demons who never saw anything good in their President, always quick to congregate like hungry rats to 'debate on negative news' just to malign Nairaland (somebody's sweat) and His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Krucifax(m): 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2014
The African mindset still remains an enigma to me. The OP has shared information that is readily available from news houses all over the world. Instead of discussing the issues highlighted and plaguing our nation some commentators are busy attacking the poster and even more stupidly attacking the news outlets.

The story is not fabricated,this is very real and happened today by all accounts. We have a marauding terrorist group killing your fellow country men in large numbers and sacking towns and you are busy addressing the messenger ? Nigerians can be really strange maybe we prefer to wallow in ignorance and lies. Maybe if you deny reality long enough it might cease to exist. Backwardness and anti-intellectualism is a common trait in Africa. It makes me really sad for my people.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 03, 2014
BBC, AFP, Sahara Lieporters et al should just GO AND DIE

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
Krucifax: The African mindset still remains an enigma to me. The OP has shared information that is readily available from news houses all over the world. Instead of discussing the issues highlighted and plaguing our nation some commentators are busy attacking the poster!

I don't care about the poster or what he/she has allegedly done in the past, let us stick to the subject matter. The story is not fabricated,this is very real and happened today by all accounts. We have a marauding terrorist group killing your fellow country men in large numbers and sacking towns and you are busy addressing the poster?? Nigerians can be really strange!!

What do you expect them to do or say, when their fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, wives are yet to be victims of this evil taking over Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 10:48pm On Sep 03, 2014
tomakint: This is why Seun keeps clamping on these loose 'Children of Belial' by banning them, locking their threads.....very unruly set of blood sucking human-demons who never saw anything good in their President, always quick to congregate like hungry rats to 'debate on negative news' just to malign Nairaland (somebody's sweat) and His Excellency, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan!

Mumu!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by omenka(m): 11:02pm On Sep 03, 2014
@ NgeneUkwenu: Errrm, I thought Oga at the top forbade us earlier in the day from posting anything that seems to reveal the failure of our government in the ongoing war... Just hope you don't get banned doing this!!

Still in shock as regards the content of that thread. Wonder why it was taken down.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by thwarrior72: 11:10pm On Sep 03, 2014

Say you are finished as a person, which we already know tongue

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by JACKOFALTRADE: 11:19pm On Sep 03, 2014
The President, should just give these guys arewa republic. . .So that the north will enjoy Islamic caliphate. Me no send atall!
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by JACKOFALTRADE: 11:28pm On Sep 03, 2014

Lol. That your laugh will soon turn to tears. . . As did bama bokoharam sympathizers. Just relax, Islamic caliphate is coming your way.
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by bizlifelines(m): 11:32pm On Sep 03, 2014
BlackTechnology: OP
Your map reveals that BH are planning to encircle Maiduguri
Gbam!! that was the first thing that came to my mind. I am sure that every intelligent security professional will find this report useful. Unless it's proven to be false, this report if well utilized will be helpful to both sides, whether Boko haram or the FGN. The country and those in administration truly need genuine advice and patriotic leaders who can help resolve this "civil war".Nigeria will rise above our present challenge. The country needs leaders with tremendous goodwill among the led, if the present leaders can just get it right, the war will end same day.
God bless my country

Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by BlackTechnology: 11:37pm On Sep 03, 2014
bizlifelines:
Gbam!! that was the first thing that came to my mind. I am sure that every intelligent security professional will find this report useful. Unless it's proven to be false, this report if well utilized will be helpful to both sides, whether Boko haram or the FGN. The country and those in administration truly need genuine advice and patriotic leaders who can help resolve this "civil war".Nigeria will rise above our present challenge. The country needs leaders with tremendous goodwill among the led, if the present leaders can just get it right, the war will end same day.
God bless my country

If only the military can lay a trap for them
Re: Nigeria's Boko Haram 'seize Banki Town Near Cameroon'-bbc by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:43pm On Sep 03, 2014
omenka: @ NgeneUkwenu: Errrm, I thought Oga at the top forbade us earlier in the day from posting anything that seems to reveal the failure of our government in the ongoing war... Just hope you don't get banned doing this!!

Still in shock as regards the content of that thread. Wonder why it was taken down.

My brother we go dey try now!
Anytime I am banned again for posting verifiable thread with source, I would quit his damn site.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojukwu Is A Coward Whose Grave Is Supposed To Be Spat At -Okorie Chizom / Could This Be The Prototype Of Rumuokoro Flyover By Gov. Wike?(photo) / 100 Years And 20 Interesting Facts About Nigeria, No. 8 Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.