Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. (2281 Views)

My Boko Haram Saga, By Negotiator Stephen Davis / Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In Atight Corner / Sheriff & Iherijika Are Named As Boko Haram Kingpins By Australian Negotiator. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Gbawe: 5:44am On Sep 04, 2014
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/jonathans-hostage-negotiator-puts-tight-corner/

Jonathan’s hostage negotiator puts him in a tight corner

on September 03, 2014 / in For Crying Out Loud 3:24 am / Comments

By Ogaga Ifowodo
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan’s hostage negotiator, Dr Stephen Davis, has done Nigerians a great favour and put his employer in a tight corner. Davis has broken the official taboo against naming names of persons behind Boko Haram, those who fund the ceaseless bloodbaths, abduction of adolescent girls as sexual slaves, arson and more.

We owe Davis a debt of gratitude for letting us know more than our government has been willing to disclose: the mere geographical location of the Chibok girls coupled with the rote assurance of their safety.

Dr Stephen Davis

The utter secrecy surrounding what the government is doing or not doing to free the Chibok girls or end the insurgency has led to the unfortunate impression that it is helpless and all we can do is wait for Abubakar Shekau to become human again, renounce violence and lay down his arms. Or wait for the United States to send us night vision goggles and remaindered equipment from its wars in Iraq and Afghanistan before a proper anti-terrorism war can begin.

Davis spoke first to a television station in Australia and then to a Nigerian medium, Arise Television. On 29 August, ThisDay published Davis’s revelations under the headline “Australian Negotiator Names Ihejrika, Sheriff as Sponsors of Boko Haram.” Davis points with the certitude of a chief prosecution witness to two highly placed citizens: retired Lt-General Azubuike Ihejirika, former Chief of Army Staff and field commander of the offensive against Boko Haram, and Alhaji Modu Sheriff, former governor of Borno State where Shekau has his headquarters and has planted the first flag of his dreamed Caliphate.

The evidence against Azubuike appears thin, but Sheriff, Davis says, “has been funding Boko Haram’s terrorism for years.” Davis has also pointed to an unnamed third person in Abuja whose three nephews allegedly participated in the Nyanya-Abuja bombing that killed 77 people. In his interview with SaharaReporters, the New York-based online news platform, Davis gives further details concerning this man by claiming that he is a top official of the Central Bank and Boko Haram’s banker.

To my mind, other than the surprise mention of Ihejirika, the real news is the proof by inference Davis gives of the charge that the government may indeed have been playing politics with the terrorist insurgency that has laid waste to vast swathes of the North East, killed thousands and scarred millions.

This is not the first time Sheriff’s name would be linked to Boko Haram, but whereas we could only watch as the government camp and the opposition traded accusations of playing politics with the insurgency, Davis, in the final analysis, has now indicted the President. Mostly through his underlying tone of incredulity as to why Boko Haram’s sponsors have not been arrested, why the SSS “doesn’t seem inclined to interrogate” the three nephews of the Abuja man for “concrete evidence against their uncle in whose house they were living.”

The implications of his words must have been clear to Davis, hence, I suspect, his attempt to absolve his employer of blame. If Jonathan arrests prominent politicians who are likely to run against him in 2015, he would lay himself open to the charge of hounding the opposition to enhance his re-election. To deflect that charge, he says, there has to be “a very high threshold” of evidence sufficient to “keep the Western nations happy.”

This can’t be higher than the normal weight of evidence to sustain a criminal charge and it is obvious that Davis is convinced the threshold was reached a long time ago. According to ThisDay, Davis “was emphatic that the people he names are current sponsors of Boko Haram,” that he had information on “some of them about three years ago; one of them four years ago,” and that one even provided “money and . . . in one case . . . six (Toyota) Hilux vehicles used for suicide bombing.”

Yet, by the end of Davis’s testimony, the line between the bad opposition politicians and the good government is blurred. Sheriff, now the de facto poster-politician allegedly sponsoring Boko Haram, has decamped to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party “in the hope this will give him protection.” What other course of action does Jonathan have now than to order the immediate arrest of all the persons that his hostage negotiator claims are the chief sponsors of Boko Haram?

And to charge them to court forthwith? Unless, of course, his hostage negotiator is a rabble rouser, in which case we must wonder how and why he has worked for three successive presidents. It can’t be the case that the evidence that emboldens Davis to name names is unavailable to Jonathan and his security and intelligence heads.

Jonathan must know that failure to act would give credence to the opposition’s counter-claim: a conviction that the insurgency was fomented by his political enemies to make the country ungovernable and prevent his re-election, but that the plot boomeranged and so it is best left unaddressed in order to gain him sympathy votes. My hunch is that Davis, an independent contractor, spoke at the bidding of the President, but even if he acted independently in order to force Jonathan’s hand, that should not prevent decisive action against any suspected Boko Haram sponsor, irrespective of party affiliation or status, against whom prima facie evidence can be adduced. All that is needed is political will.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nosyke(m): 5:56am On Sep 04, 2014
Ghen ghen......buys popcorn and coke,. spreads mat.......let the war discussion begin
Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by alienvirus: 5:57am On Sep 04, 2014
Hmm. And the whole 5hit is not funny anymore. The fear of prosecuting indicted people is a soft-landing turf for the insurgents.

Unfortunately, most Nigerians cannot see the handwriting on the wall.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by jeffizy(m): 5:57am On Sep 04, 2014
May the heavens grant the President the grace to grow some ballz . He needs it real bad.
Everyone is making excuses on his behalf and yet he has not consolidated on his position as the leader.
I know he has sleepless nights too but what I don't know is why he wants to continue being pelted with shit instead of been glorified. SMH.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Rawani: 6:05am On Sep 04, 2014
Gbawe: My hunch is that Davis, an independent contractor, spoke at the bidding of the President

I find it interesting that you opined that the negotiator might be speaking on the bidding of the President because as much as i detest his leadership style and incompetence, he seems to be a good man who has been cornered by high-level wickedness and conspiracy in the Presidency by ill advisers/ethnic warlords like Edwin Clark and Dokubo, as well as within the ruling party. I find it difficult, though possible, to believe that Dr. Davies would independently compromise his professional relationship with the Presidency and his personal reputation, to make false accusations before informing Jonathan. Simply unlikely.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by eph12(m): 6:29am On Sep 04, 2014
As much as I don't like this Jonathan government, I find it difficult to believe that BH can easily or foolishly directly mention the names of their sponsors. Its real stupidity and they don't come across to me as a stupid group. This group is highly intelligent and organized. I can only believe that these names were mentioned so as to turn up the heat on them and divert Nigerians attention from the real deal.
The person I blame is GEJ with the number of people arrested yet no big name or sponsor has been caught. It could only mean one of the following reasons; Either his government is too weak to make the arrest or his government is part of the BH cheerleader team.
Shalom.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by drsteroid(m): 6:29am On Sep 04, 2014
I still doubt if this man is really a negotiator

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by M0GIDI: 6:30am On Sep 04, 2014
Its incredible to believe our terrorist will do what no terrorist in the world would do i.e give names of their sponsors during negotiation. Why did they have to divulge that information when they were not being interrogated forcefully?

Other school of thought believe their real reason was to divert attention from the real sponsor. I think we will be doing the terrorist favours by leaving the actual sponsors and pursuing men like Ihejirika.

Since Ihejirika left the army Boko haram has become emboldened, they are now few miles from Maiduguri.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by wesley80(m): 6:41am On Sep 04, 2014
Rawani:

I find it interesting that you opined that the negotiator might be speaking on the bidding of the President because as much as i detest his leadership style and incompetence, he seems to be a good man who has been cornered by high-level wickedness and conspiracy in the Presidency by ill advisers/ethnic warlords like Edwin Clark and Dokubo, as well as within the ruling party. I find it difficult, though possible, to believe that Dr. Davies would independently compromise his professional relationship with the Presidency and his personal reputation, to make false accusations before informing Jonathan. Simply unlikely.

Gbawe the dark hearted Ijebu cowrie thrower would believe and say anything that portrays GEJ negatively. He isn't here to analyze the issues or voice any real concern but to gloat and stoke the fire of hate.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Gbawe: 6:44am On Sep 04, 2014
Rawani:

Yes, I also agree with your opinion Davis has no likely profit 'shredding' his own integrity casually yet I cannot agree that GEJ is a "good man". His actions, inspected dispassionately, prove otherwise. GEJ shackled himself in a unique 'prison' and bound his own arms in a very constricting straitjacket because of the compromises and 'deals with the Devil' he made to aid a primordial lust for gaining and retaining ultimate political power he does not have the talent, foresight and pro-people devotion to use effectively as a national problem-solving tool.

I too feel it is simplistic to think Davis can now throw his reputation away as a bargaining chip for the agenda of any Nigerian political interest be it that of the ruling Party or its biggest opposition. I think Davis, even if we can argue about the truth of his revelations vis-a-vis the names thrown up as 'sponsors' of Boko haram, may just be fed up of the political expediency, double-speak and duplicity causing the death of Nigerians with no solutions in sight. Eventually, after all the rigmarole, we are left to conclude that GEJ has now , once again, been challenged to act in the interest of protecting Nigerian lives and property by putting his selfish lust for power retention aside. I personally won't hold my breath expecting decisive and effective actions.

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Gbawe: 6:47am On Sep 04, 2014
wesley80:

Gbawe the dark hearted Ijebu cowrie thrower would believe and say anything that portrays GEJ negatively. He isn't here to analyze the issues or voice any real concern but to gloat and stoke the fire of hate.

Shameless groupie with nothing to add to the substantive issue under discussion. Still obsessed with Gbawe after all these years? I suggest you get a life, a wife or a husband and stop following me around malevolently.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Collynzo16: 6:49am On Sep 04, 2014
Jonathan's negotiator, professional relationship with the Presidency bla bla bla.
The government completely disowned this guy 3 months ago so you guys should do well to stop referring to him as what he isn't.
http://tribune.com.ng/news/top-stories/item/6985-presidency-disowns-australian-boko-haram-negotiator/6985-presidency-disowns-australian-boko-haram-negotiator

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by CyberWolf: 6:52am On Sep 04, 2014
Idiotic gbawe, FG in June dissociates themselves from this man, and they also recently said that they did not employ mr Davies...we are asking the man to name who employed him or stfu..

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by lilprinze: 6:57am On Sep 04, 2014
BH are not that stup1d and foolish to mention their sponsors during negotiations if they truly mentioned the names of their sponsors then it means that BH are the most senseless and dumbest terrorists in the world who lacks common sense. unless they already have some new and more powerful sponsors out side Nigeria that's the only thing that can make them mention the name of their sponsors publicly.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 04, 2014
Rawani:

Don't force yourself to speak/use big grammars... Let it flow naturally.
In the end, you shot yourself in the foot.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Gbawe: 7:12am On Sep 04, 2014
eph12: As much as I don't like this Jonathan government, I find it difficult to believe that BH can easily or foolishly directly mention the names of their sponsors. Its real stupidity and they don't come across to me as a stupid group. This group is highly intelligent and organized. I can only believe that these names were mentioned so as to turn up the heat on them and divert Nigerians attention from the real deal.
The person I blame is GEJ with the number of people arrested yet no big name or sponsor has been caught. It could only mean one of the following reasons; Either his government is too weak to make the arrest or his government is part of the BH cheerleader team.
Shalom.

Sensible point but it is still in the best interest of us all if we can face the substantive issue of asking the FG to investigate the revelations of the hostage negotiator the ruling Party itself hired to secure the release of the Chibok girls. There are too many examples of the insincere GEJ-led FG, without coercion, setting up committees and/or deploying expert/reputable names to seek solutions to specific 'logjams' with everything then predictably descending into a farce which sees the FG trying to discredit the voice it had previously implied is credible through the very act of securing such individuals to work for the Nigerian Government in the first place.

No attempt at Otedola-Farouk deception should divert attention away from the fact that it is imperative the government investigate the revelation of its own hostage negotiator rather than flippantly dismiss it as an "unempirical statement". These are the sort of development that has led to the universal loss of goodwill and lack of credibility bedevilling the GEJ-led ruling Party.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Rawani: 7:12am On Sep 04, 2014
If Dr. Davis was not working for the presidency as claimed, why did Ali Modu Sherriff in his statement yesterday criticise him for revealing his findings on TV instead of submitting it to the President? What about the military aircraft alleged to have been given to him by Jonathan? Under the past administration, who mandated and led him to the militants? Can Asari Dokubo claim to not know Dr. Stephen Davies?

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 04, 2014
lilprinze: BH are not that stup1d and foolish to mention their sponsors during negotiations if they truly mentioned the names of their sponsors then it means that BH are the most senseless and dumbest terrorists in the world who lacks common sense. unless they already have some new and more powerful sponsors out side Nigeria that's the only thing that can make them mention the name of their sponsors publicly.

I wish you have a different view about this. Sometimes, they don't need to point fingers for one to decipher whom their sponsors are.

Obviously, the FG knew about these sponsors all along, but it's afraid take actions cos of the web/chains strapped to almost everybody whom the populace would least expect to be involved in such devlish act.
Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by lokito: 7:13am On Sep 04, 2014
Why's everybody writing long long essays here

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by dridowu: 7:17am On Sep 04, 2014
FG would have appreciate it if the man has name an opposition member has brain behind boko haram but they are suprise when he name member of ruling party. Anyway i wish he expantiate on how Ihejirika come into play with boko haram
Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Gbawe: 7:29am On Sep 04, 2014
Rawani: If Dr. Davis was not working for the presidency as claimed, why did Ali Modu Sherriff in his statement yesterday criticise him for revealing his findings on TV instead of submitting it to the President? What about the military aircraft alleged to have been given to him by Jonathan? Under the past administration, who mandated and led him to the militants? Can Asari Dokubo claim to not know Dr. Stephen Davies?

You are minding people who are probably the most sentimental on Earth? Is it not obvious that there is something fundamentally deceitful, fraudulent and duplicitous about a Government that always ends up trying to discredit individuals and committees it engages/set-up ,to deliver 'solutions' and a way forward, once the recommendations proffered or revelations thrown up puts the FG in a position of taking difficult yet meritoriously correct actions?

Whether it is the PAC (Presidential advisory committee) led by Danjuma or the Petroleum task force headed by Ribadu, the predictable outcome of ignoring or trying to discredit the messenger is what Nigeria sees once the insincere PDP-led FG receives a 'message' it does not like. Dr.Davis , whether some wish to accept it or not, did not come to Nigeria of his own freewill to begin acting as a hostage negotiator for our FG. He was invited to do so. As simple as that. Same as it is also simple to conclude, from several examples, that the attempt to discredit Dr.Davis will now become standard/default behaviour for the GEJ-led FG and its fans.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by lilprinze: 7:30am On Sep 04, 2014
emmyrichie:

I wish you have a different view about this. Sometimes, they don't need to point fingers for one to decipher whom their sponsors are.

Obviously, the FG knew about these sponsors all along, but it's afraid take actions cos of the web/chains strapped to almost everybody whom the populace would least expect to be involved in such devlish act.
GEJ is a weakling he is scared of their sponsors yet he is the Commander in chief of the armed forces had it mean OBJ was still the president this kind of rubbish can never happen no matter who their sponsors are OBJ would arrest and deal with them he is not afraid of anybody unlike GEJ.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 04, 2014
Boko Haram that called Oshiomole the Governor of Lagos State, we bust into laughter and mocked them.

They claimed Apapa blast we cajoled them, dismissed it with wave of the arm and tagg it livng in delusion.

Now an Aussie a selfstyled negotiator who doesnt know how distinct and complex the Nigeria society is said the dreaded sect named Ihejirika as one of their sponsors. Because of politics and tribalism we are now seeing them as saints and their utterances as gospel truth.

I think Boko Haram are more intelligent than us all if this is how we the so called educated ones are reasoning: to be sincere Western Education is a Haram because it has failed us and plunged us into deeper mess.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:35am On Sep 04, 2014
GBAWE please edite your headlines,Mr davies was hired by APC and not GEJ

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by raumdeuter: 7:36am On Sep 04, 2014
Jonathan is the main sponsor of this Boko Haram people

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 04, 2014
[/quote]Dr.Davis , whether some wish to accept it or not, did not come to Nigeria of his own freewill to begin acting as a hostage negotiator for our FG. He was invited to do so [quote]

bnros na u invite am?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 04, 2014
Rawani: If Dr. Davis was not working for the presidency as claimed, why did Ali Modu Sherriff in his statement yesterday criticise him for revealing his findings on TV instead of submitting it to the President? What about the military aircraft alleged to have been given to him by Jonathan? Under the past administration, who mandated and led him to the militants? Can Asari Dokubo claim to not know Dr. Stephen Davies?

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 04, 2014

So many twists and turns in this matter. Maybe he submitted the report to the presidency. Who knows?

I'm sure he must have done that before took to the tv.

Let the drama keeps unfolding.

This reminds me of the novel "Deception point" by Dan Brown.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by PointB: 7:57am On Sep 04, 2014
This whole idea of Boko Haram commanders, naming their sponsors, through Davis, is simply a smokescreen. It's main objective is to create further suspicions, and with it, division in the fight against terror.

If Boko Haram 'commanders' (these nameless ones Davis want us to believe in), wished to reveal the identity of their sponsors, what prevented them from naming the bank official who launders and transfer the blood money? And while at it, how about the 'bag man' in Egypt who is directly responsible for dishing out the funds? Surely those two - the 'sender', and 'distributor', would have been closer to their circle than indeed those who source for the funds, and should resonate often in the daily discussion of these faceless 'commanders' (whom Davis appears to be protecting).

It very clear to discerning minds that what Dr. Davis bought from these murderers is, indeed, a very obvious lie - a smokescreen! It is not worth the distraction it's creating in the war effort!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by Caseless2: 8:14am On Sep 04, 2014
Jonathan and pdp created a vacuum we've been waiting to be filled and Dr David just did that for us.
Was it not jonathan that told us that members of boko haram are in his cabinet/gov't , we begged and waited for him to name those boko haram members in his gov't, he refused. Again, his party, the pdp also accused the opposition of harbouring boko haram members/sponsors...thereby, tagging apc as an islamic party. The apc has always asked pdp/gej to point or name those sponsors in their camp , but pdp/gej failed to do that until they got vindicated by Dr david.
We have no choice than to accept what the Australian said and thank him for that.
Dr Dadvid is right!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Hostage Negotiator Puts Him In A Tight Corner. by TheShopKeeper(m): 8:16am On Sep 04, 2014
Mr Davies is a top negotiator who had work on behalf of some oil companies & the federal govt.
His submitted reports were neglected by the presidency because those reports did not favour them.
Hence he took to the airwaves to tell his own side of his work.
Nigerians, stay tuned as more information will be in the open soon.
To those people who refuse to understand, the presidency have all the knowledge on how to stop BH.
It will still come down to the negotiating table if they like it or not.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Don't Vote For Buhari He's Not As Handsome As Goodluck Jonathan"jimiagbaje / INEC Card Readers Can Be Pre-loaded With Votes & Pre-programmed To Reject Pvcs / U.S Begins Plans To Lift Arms Ban On Nigeria!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.