Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,908 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? (8330 Views)

SHOW OFF TIME: Let Us Know The Car You Drive And How Much You Bought It / Police Said My Car Is Stolen / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2014
A colleague just bought a 2009 model rav 4 for 600k at olx.
She saw the ad, went for inspection with her mechanic and finally paid for the car today.

When she was celebrating the news, another colleague told her the price is outrageous. That it is only a stolen car that will be sold for that price since the car appear to be in good condition.

That the story of the owner wanting a new car and disposing this one at that rate is fishy.

This lady is very scared now and wants to know if there is a way to check if her car is a stolen vehicle.

Please help

Thank you
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by dokilolo: 6:05pm On Sep 04, 2014
pls lets av comments.cos dis is different from wat we know bout olx scammers, dey usually dupe u o ur 600k nt sell d car 2 u.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:18pm On Sep 04, 2014
This is a strong one!!

Possibly stolen, or being tracked...... Waiting to collect back from you.

But 600k for a 2009 rav4 is the price of the engine and transmision.

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by atikubaba(m): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2014
copy the VIN and search police website to see if it matches any stolen vehicle's.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Mutuwa(m): 6:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ: This is a strong one!!

Possibly stolen, or being tracked...... Waiting to collect back from you.

But 600k for a 2009 rav4 is the price of the engine and transmision.

True talk guy..esp in abj a friend told me dealers hv trackers and normally giv u a grace of som few months,then com bk for d car..let her hv it checked plz,naija people r unpredictable when it comes to two things; money n women
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by mkoabiola: 6:39pm On Sep 04, 2014
good question
abeg,experts in d house,contribute ooo
i need to knw also b4 i jones
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by coolsegun2002: 6:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
2009 rav4!!!!!...come on....unless one rich kid is trying to annoy his parent by selling of their car or this car is Was previously owned by a seriously broke cocaine addict....i see only 2 options...1)STOLEN!! 2) STOLEN!!!!...my advice sell it fast..for a good price like 1.6...nd walk away...cos if the police nab ur assss....ur friends won't even have time putting topics on nairaland...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
coolsegun2002: 2009 rav4!!!!!...come on....unless one rich kid is trying to annoy his parent by selling of their car or this car is Was previously owned by a seriously broke cocaine addict....i see only 2 options...1)STOLEN!! 2) STOLEN!!!!...my advice sell it fast..for a good price like 1.6...nd walk away...cos if the police nab ur assss....ur friends won't even have time putting topics on nairaland...

Receiving stolen goods (crime) selling stolen goods (crime)

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 7:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
Gees!!!!
Now am scared too!

Are u guys for real!!!

I actually believe the tracking story because the other person thta keppt insisting it is a stolen car. His wife's 2000 honda odysey he bought for 500 in olx was stolen 6months after.

That why he kept insisting the transaction was fishy.

I will relate the vin number thing for her.
Please what's the police webiste to check.

Thanks for ur response
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 8:31pm On Sep 04, 2014
I only have one thing to tell you, that car is stolen, a 1998 tokunbo rav 4 will go between 900k and 1.2m the nigerian use is that price.
The car is not a flooded or faulty one it is simply stolen.

Next step for your friend is to copy the VIN number and paste it in google hopefully a missing or stolen car of that type will come up if they have not actually tampered with the vin and engine number. If you know a police officer beTter report.

Your friend could be accused of murder because those police know how to tell tale of the owner was shot and disposed of the car.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by coolsegun2002: 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Receiving stolen goods (crime) selling stolen goods (crime)

So what should the new owner do...keep the ride at home nd not drive it forever....or go report her self at the station..im sure u know naija police...or better still dash a friend?... ..this is the case here... we are all assuming..no one is one hundred percent sure it's a theft or a crazy sale....so why wait to be sure when u can treat the matter as a buy nd sell transaction...instead of loosing 600k nd going to jail...or watching ur back from the unknown for rest of the yrs the poor lady is gonna use the ride.....

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 9:53pm On Sep 04, 2014
coolsegun2002:

So what should the new owner do...keep the ride at home nd not drive it forever....or go report her self at the station..im sure u know naija police...or better still dash a friend?... ..this is the case here... we are all assuming..no one is one hundred percent sure it's a theft or a crazy sale....so why wait to be sure when u can treat the matter as a buy nd sell transaction...instead of loosing 600k nd going to jail...or watching ur back from the unknown for rest of the yrs the poor lady is gonna use the ride.....

I am telling you that car is stolen no argument on that. A car that cost 3m or more for tokunbo been sold at 600k.
If she sells it it will still be traced to her as an accessory to sale of stolen goods.
If she is a bad person, she can respray, change a few things and use it hoping she will not be found out

If she wants piece of mind go to the police and make enquiry on that car with the vin, until it can be proven that it is not stolen then she is safe.

The car will not only be said to be stolen, she would be accused of murder of the original owner, ask those who have been accused of murder by the police and see how much they paid and what they went through.

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by coolsegun2002: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2014
nurey:

I am telling you that car is stolen no argument on that. A car that cost 3m or more for tokunbo been sold at 600k.
If she sells it it will still be traced to her as an accessory to sale of stolen goods.
If she is a bad person, she can respray, change a few things and use it hoping she will not be found out

If she wants piece of mind go to the police and make enquiry on that car with the vin, until it can be proven that it is not stolen then she is safe.

The car will not only be said to be stolen, she would be accused of murder of the original owner, ask those who have been accused of murder by the police and see how much they paid and what they went through.

Trace Help me ask her if she can trace those that sold it to her If yes...den she should just park the car at her back yard...kapish
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 10:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
If she can't trace those that sold the car to her if yawa gas, na wahala be that. If she is too afraid for her life she can scrap the car quickly and dispose off of it.

This is a lesson to intending car buyers awof they say dey born belle. Know your facts and research before purchasing a good

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Galads(m): 10:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
Will she sell it to me? Within 30mins they will turn d car to scrap and sell d parts. A friend was caught wit a stolen car, d guy day jail now. Advice her o. She shuld be wise Nigerian police are looking for ways to chop money o
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 12:48am On Sep 05, 2014
She can't walk into the ppolice station to repport hersef, we all know nigeria police.she won't come out the same way she went.

Is there a website where she can cross check the VIN.

Atleast let her mind be at rest.

She can't also trace the seller cos they met in a filling station according to her.
The guy came with a prado and 'his driver' drove the rav4 for inspection.

Everything had looked genuine untill we started bringing all the stolen car gist.

She is really scared right now.
Please if there is a website to cross check, just post it here let her run her VIN and check.

Going to the police is sooo out of the gist. Unless she wants to bury hersef with her own hands.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 6:17am On Sep 05, 2014
She should start by typing the vin.... On google if someone had reported it, there should be a result on it.

As for how to dispose off of it, I don't really know cause I have not been involved in this kind of transaction B4.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by dokilolo: 6:37am On Sep 05, 2014
h
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 6:54am On Sep 05, 2014
Will relate all your advice to her today
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by starlingbawa(m): 11:13am On Sep 05, 2014
From the way you re sounding and knowing the every move of your supposed friend in line with various contributors, I'm tempted into believing you re the actual buyer of this car on OLX.

600K will not even get you a 1996 Toyota Camry much less a 2009 Toyota RAV 4.

My friend I ve got only one word for you and it's 'STOLEN'!!!!!

That car was obviously stolen. You sef! Person wan sell car for you, na filling station una for meet. Na wa ooo!

One chance Naim you enter so and the quicker you distance yourself from that stolen car, the better it is for you.

A popular saying: "Dem say make we use our tongue take count our teeth ooo"

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by rofemiguwa(f): 11:50am On Sep 05, 2014
Pplease don't get me angry. You can make your suggestion without drawing baseless conclusion. I said a colleague.and there is no where that I said what she is going to do. I only asked for suggestions to take it back to her.

BTW in olx it is adviced you meet in a public place. So meeting in a filling station is not awkward.

This is nairaland you are free to air your opinion.just say it without pointing unnecessary fingers

As I said I will relay all the responsible advice I got to her.
It is her car, I have no business whatsoever if she decideds to take it or not.
starlingbawa: From the way you re sounding and knowing the every move of your supposed friend in line with various contributors, I'm tempted into believing you re the actual buyer of this car on OLX.

600K will not even get you a 1996 Toyota Camry much less a 2009 Toyota RAV 4.

My friend I ve got only one word for you and it's 'STOLEN'!!!!!

That car was obviously stolen. You sef! Person wan sell car for you, na filling station una for meet. Na wa ooo!

One chance Naim you enter so and the quicker you distance yourself from that stolen car, the better it is for you.

A popular saying: "Dem say make we use our tongue take count our teeth ooo"

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by yuzedo: 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2014
GAZZ my man, is there any way to scan a car to detect a hidden tracking device?

I know with a transponder you can pin-point radio frequency. What technology do these trackers use? Because basically, anyone can install a tracker on your car without your knowledge and jack your ride whenever Satan fingers their brain.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Raymie(m): 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
She should scan the car first for any trackers hidden in the security system. If possible, disable the original and install an aftermarket. She should relate first with a police friend off the station. Yhu can help in that regards. Get a lawyer if possible. if she is willing to return, then she should try to obtain report of stolen vehicles VIN numbers with her particular model in mind. Lastly for her safety she should not drive around much. Rather, she should park where extricating the car would be difficult. If after some months, nothing happens, she should do a total colour change and keep/sell the car.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by roosebolton: 3:01pm On Sep 05, 2014
I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as a legal advise. However the law is generally in favor of an innocent purchase of goods for value aka Bona Fide Puchaser. Hence anyone who buys a stolen or converted item has legal and valid title to that item as long as he/she did not have notice (actual or constructive) of the dubious claim of the seller. The elements which needs be satisfied for anyone to be deemed a Bona Fide Purchaser (BFP) are

He most have paid value for the item in this case, a gift does not qualify
He most not have had notice of the dubious title of the seller.. Now this element is tricky because notice can either be actual or constructive. While the law does not place a heavy burden on a buyer to investigate the title of a particular goods. General indicators are used to ascertain constructive notice like was the good purchased in an open market where such goods are generally both and sold? Was the goods puchased during normal usual hour of business or was it purchased at night or very early in the morning. A lot of x factors are also considered. But looking at the facts of this case, I don't think your friend has need to worry. Since she never had any idea the goods could be stolen and she bought with a clear mind. My advise would be for her to see a lawyer who can give her a better advise on how to proceed with the matter. If push comes to shove the law is in her favour even if the car was indeed stolen.. her title to it is over and above that of the original owner because of the protection the law gives the Bona Fide purchaser for value without notice.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by erico2k2(m): 5:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
roosebolton: I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as a legal advise. However the law is generally in favor of an innocent purchase of goods for value aka Bona Fide Puchaser. Hence anyone who buys a stolen or converted item has legal and valid title to that item as long as he/she did not have notice (actual or constructive) of the dubious claim of the seller. The elements which needs be satisfied for anyone to be deemed a Bona Fide Purchaser (BFP) are

He most have paid value for the item in this case, a gift does not qualify
He most not have had notice of the dubious title of the seller.. Now this element is tricky because notice can either be actual or constructive. While the law does not place a heavy burden on a buyer to investigate the title of a particular goods. General indicators are used to ascertain constructive notice like was the good purchased in an open market where such goods are generally both and sold? Was the goods puchased during normal usual hour of business or was it purchased at night or very early in the morning. A lot of x factors are also considered. But looking at the facts of this case, I don't think your friend has need to worry. Since she never had any idea the goods could be stolen and she bought with a clear mind. My advise would be for her to see a lawyer who can give her a better advise on how to proceed with the matter. If push comes to shove the law is in her favour even if the car was indeed stolen.. her title to it is over and above that of the original owner because of the protection the law gives the Bona Fide purchaser for value without notice.
You are wrong my friend if you buy stollen goods you are guilty of handling stollen goods.the only get out clause for you is to prove beyond reasonable doubt tjat you bought the said item with true and genuine aim with no prime knowlede of it was stollen.However you will still lose the car.This is the reason why we have Carfax.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
dokilolo: I tnk there is still a chance she cn get out of dis without any issue.just generate a receipt to say she bought it for d normal price...say 3m and den keep at home 4 some months nd sell for naija used price.
that way if it is eva traced bak 2 her ...she cn say she met d sellers on olx nd paid 3m for it.....dat wnt make her an accessory to anything. .bt jst a customer dat was sold a stolen car without knowing.
and if police shld com knocking she will help by providing d fone numba of d sellers nd say she sold it cos d car was problematic. chikena.

Spoken like a true con artist.

Why give advice that could land someone in jail? It would be best to seek legal advice, then give the vehicle details to the law. Covering things up will make her guilty. She could NOT feign ignorance if she concocts these elaborate lies. Personally, I would prefer to lose N600,000 than lose my freedom. No amount of money is worth jail time in Nigeria.

From your "advice", I would say you've done this before. Criminal Mind at its best.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
rofemiguwa: Pplease don't get me angry. You can make your suggestion without drawing baseless conclusion. I said a colleague.and there is no where that I said what she is going to do. I only asked for suggestions to take it back to her.

BTW in olx it is adviced you meet in a public place. So meeting in a filling station is not awkward.

This is nairaland you are free to air your opinion.just say it without pointing unnecessary fingers

As I said I will relay all the responsible advice I got to her.
It is her car, I have no business whatsoever if she decideds to take it or not.

You can get angry all you like. I too feel you're the person who's ended up with a hot car.

And when you're advised to meet in a public place, that does NOT mean the transaction should take place there. I would NOT buy an automobile from a guy in a gas station, eatery, pub, hospital, graveyard etc. These are ALL public places, but I would not hand over $4000 to some random guy in a sheepskin coat and a slouch hat.

This scenario about a "friend" is so full of holes, a morönic, blind chimpanzee with scrambled eggs for brains could pick them out without too much effort.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 05, 2014
Raymie: She should scan the car first for any trackers hidden in the security system. If possible, disable the original and install an aftermarket. She should relate first with a police friend off the station. Yhu can help in that regards. Get a lawyer if possible. if she is willing to return, then she should try to obtain report of stolen vehicles VIN numbers with her particular model in mind. Lastly for her safety she should not drive around much. Rather, she should park where extricating the car would be difficult. If after some months, nothing happens, she should do a total colour change and keep/sell the car.

Following your advise would make anyone a criminal.
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 7:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
Siena:

Spoken like a true con artist.

Why give advice that could land someone in jail? It would be best to seek legal advice, then give the vehicle details to the law. Covering things up will make her guilty. She could NOT feign ignorance if she concocts these elaborate lies. Personally, I would prefer to lose N600,000 than lose my freedom. No amount of money is worth jail time in Nigeria.

From your "advice", I would say you've done this before. Criminal Mind at its best.

Follow sienas advice and go throw the law you can just say you thought it was a joke that's why you played along. The earlier the better if you have been accused wrongly and falsely by Nigerian police then you will not bother yourself holding onto that car.

They may come at anytime knocking on your door since they already know who and possibly where the car is and just bundle your friend saying the car was snatched at gun point, the owner and passenger were killed blah blah blah.

Let her take the necessary steps b4 yawa gas
Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Eyop: 7:57pm On Sep 05, 2014
So many criminal minded posters on this thread shocked. It's obvious that car is a stolen one and the best the OP can do about this is to get a lawyer and report to the appropriate authorities. She has made the mistake of not performing due diligence first before transacting and also greed pushed her into this.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by nurey(m): 8:01pm On Sep 05, 2014
Eyop: So many criminal minded posters on this thread shocked. It's obvious that car is a stolen one and the best the OP can do about this is to get a lawyer and report to the appropriate authorities. She has made the mistake of not performing due diligence first before transacting and also greed pushed her into this.
It is not that people are criminal minded, they are just looking at a way the op will not be at a loss on the long run.
600k no be beans na

1 Like

Re: How Do You Know If The Nigerian Used Car You Bought Is Stolen? by Eyop: 8:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
nurey:
It is not that people are criminal minded, they are just looking at a way the op will not be at a loss on the long run.
600k no be beans na

She would have thought of that before going into such deal? So by suggesting or encouraging criminality is a way of assisting the OP? Yes #600k isn't peanut but sincerely she has done wrong and she needs to do the right thing as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Did U Spend On Fuel This Week? / Is 2004 Ford Explorer A Good Suv? / How Much Does A Golf 3 Cost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.