Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: (2951 Views)

Why Nigerians Prefer To Live Abroad / Ilupeju Lagos Landlords Prefer Indians And Lebanese To Nigerians / Rules For Unmarried Couples Staying In Dubai Hotels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 5:51pm On Oct 28, 2008
can someone tell me the reason why most naija people prefers staying abroad, when we av big cities like lagos, PH, abuja ,
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by blackspade(m): 7:17pm On Oct 28, 2008
I love Naija, and still return home twice a year, but the main reason I traveled to America was for a good education, but the quality of life, economic opportunity, safety, and diversity here are reasons why I stay (and have little complaints).

As I said before, I love Naija, and it's my home, but my opinion is that abroad, I have many more options available to me in order to become successful. I intend on returning back to Naija to help my country further develop, but at the same time my family wants me to stay, and apply for citizenship so I can bring them here. undecided

Bottom line is, there's many opportunities outside of Nigeria that can be taken advantage of, that Nigeria just can't offer right now.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 4:29pm On Oct 29, 2008
@ blackspade pls can u expantiate more on the opportunities that are in US that we dont have in Nigeria, i understand if u talk about the living conditions there, but some people believes that opportunities are more in nigeria since there is still alot needs to be met.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by AMIGO112(m): 1:42pm On Oct 31, 2008
what blackspade is trying to say is: light dey 24/7, water dey trowey, correct road boku, you fit sleep every night with ya 2 eyes closed.
and if you work hard you no even need to "hammer" to meet your basic needs wey go make you happy.
abi black spade?
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by iyeayo(f): 8:20am On Nov 01, 2008
Ma friend! life is sweet abroad if you have the right papers and a good job o! grin

But that not said, the truth is most of us prefer to stay abroad because of the fear of the unknown and uncertainty of what we will do if we return to naija. Many left naija because of unfavourable situations and they can't imagine going back to that life stlye.

True there is better quality of life here, but men there is no place like home.
I miss the food and the crazy life in naija.

Also some of ma friends that travelled home recently didn't have good stories to tell (bad roads, security etc), many vowed no to go back in a long while.

But for me sha, I want to return home some day, some year, maybe when I am sure of what I will do.  undecided
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 6:58pm On Nov 01, 2008
@ iyeayo uhm but  what about those suffering abroad, without valid papers and  even without  bad job to do grin can u tell us what is keeping dem from naija where their people can still assist them,

Then concerning stable electricity, security, entertainment, nice accomodation dont u feel some people who have stayed long and made enough cash hustling abroad  can get these as well in nigeria, i overheard a nigerian-jand  guy who says he feels more @ home, involved and free in naija compared to the other side where he amends his real nature 2 blend with d society,

Then what about  those odd jobs abroad, sshhhhh lipsrsealedgrin, can u compare that to investing in naija to contribute ur own quota towards the development and make enough cash as well, i feel one  can also think big like dem dangotes, dele momodu, mike adenugas, and so on  grin afterall the embassies doesnt check their passport twice b4 they stamp am,  wink u know wetin i mean now,
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by shotster50(m): 10:16pm On Nov 01, 2008
Cool Zil

From personal experiences, investing in Nigeria is not easy, infact almost nigh impossible fraught with government red tapes, unstable economic policies, etc. The point is, the Government needs to work on making Nigeria attractive for Nigeria in diasporans to come home and invest.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by iyeayo(f): 10:30pm On Nov 01, 2008
Let us leave out people with legal papers and good job abroad, because people in this ctegory will prefer to stay abroad. I know of a couple. The husband resigned Shell in Nigeria to pick up a job with Santos here in Oz. He was a big boy in P/Hcourt, had a very good life. I asked "what in the Lord's name where u thinking to have left all that and come and start all over again in Oz". His explanation was that he left Nigeria because of lack of security. The Niger-delta situation is affecting not only the expatraites but also the well-to-do Nigerian who work for these oil companies.

For those without legal papers, I guess u can't blame them much. Someone who has suffered looking for a job in naija for years will do anything to get out.
I know of a parent that sold her car and small business to pay for his son's visa and ticket to the UK to the tune of about N500,000 for visiting visa. He is now illegal. The guy is now illegal, but are you advising that he should return to naija to go and tell his mum that 'abroad' is not good.

Most illegal abroad migrants cannot go back home for  the fear of what to go back home to do. Let us just continue to pray for ourselves, nobody know what exactly the future holds. If many illegals know what they know now, Iam sure they would have thot twice.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 12:03am On Nov 06, 2008
but now if everybody keeps thinking this way, how do we solve the problems facing naija . many of this overseas country our people are av gone through thesame hardship b4 they became where they are today, i  believe naija too would get there one day at least things are getting better nowadayz, some claims they like staying abroad due to security sake, uhmm i guess this is just a flimsy excuse, afterall so many people are in naija
safe and sound, if u know your God, all dat doesnt count , some said they dont want to
invest in naija due to fraud,  shocked,  of course i dont think u can do that as well in the foreign man land conviniently, cus there is nothing new under d sun there, even these whites
comes down to nigeria seeing opportunities, invest alot of money & making their returns back big time,  ask them they know how they manage their business well, monitoring their activities and at thesame time sharp,  grin.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 4:22pm On Dec 10, 2008
any more yankeeites, jandites, overseaites  on a long stay to defend themselves, what a pity on  those who have  sold  themselves away from their home land and  neva intend to return home  sad
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by chyk91(m): 12:14am On Dec 18, 2008
@ cool zil, guy the fact is that if u av a good job abroad, u my guy will stay cos as far as u pay ur bills, lite, water, fast internet service, phones with service and all amenities will be at ur disposal. guy, i live in naija and i love this country, i av also been outside this country and i av seen things work, things that we dream about in naija is just lyk toy there. some examples are; clean and portable water, good roads;my guy i did not see any pot-hole on d road,efficient transport system, guy if ur bus is to arrive 7:00, it arrives 7:00 or few minutes later, trains work well i.e in london where i visited. good education, o boy u should av seen the way their students learn, its fun, my cousin after school would come back and research on the internet what she had been taught in school, my guy also security is a lot better than what is obtainable in naija. at least there u know one trigger-happy cop would not come and shoot u, u know if u call police or fire-service they would come on time. u mite say racism, yea but guy dat one is everywhere even in naija tribalism exists. thats the reason y most of them prefer stayin abroead. now 4 d illegals and those not doing well abroad, one reason they stay abroad is because of the uncertainty they face in naija, what the people will think about them, u know naija people like to show themselves so imagine some-one that has lived aboad 4 lyk 10years and comes back with all the glitz and glamour he is expected to come with. it may seem childish but its a serious reason they stay there.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by sage(m): 12:35am On Dec 22, 2008
guy if everybody move 2 lag, ph and abuja will it contain everybody?

right now Nigeria has many cities that actually has over a million people. We should be like Brazil or Mexico at least with at least 25-30 cities which have amenities, good roads and skyscrapers where people can live.

Ibadan, Illorin, Warri, Jos, Aba, Enugu, Calabar, Onitsha etc

How many of these places have we developed? How many of them resemble a city rather than a sprawling shanty town?

Guy we get big problems
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by chyk91(m): 2:49am On Dec 22, 2008
@ sage
u talk true my guy. naija no go fit take all of us.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 22, 2008
I hate this rubbish country. I want to travel out. This country pisses me off. I am tired of Nigeria. In fact, i denounce being a nigerian. Sometimes i wish i was never a nigerian, in fact i am not a nigerian. It must be a mistake because i shouldn't be a nigerian. I am not like them nigerians, i live the life of an european. I want to go to where i truly belong, that's europe or america. How come i was born in nigeria? You people know quiet that i am not a nigerian. Do i look like a nigerian? No, i don't. Staying in this country makes me angry and mad. If i no leave una country soon, i go mad oo. Make una help leave o by getting visa for me.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by cvibe: 10:49am On Dec 22, 2008
Coolzil,

When you get there (that is if you are not there already), you'll be able to get the true answers you need.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by Nobody: 11:24am On Dec 22, 2008
People will stay wherever they feel at peace with life, and their immediate surroundings.

It's not always about money, big cities, jobs etc.
It's very possible to have all these things, yet not feel happy where you are.

In the same vein, it's possible to be poor, be in a small village, wherever that may be, and yet feel happy.

As humans, home to us is where the heart is, wherever we find peace and tranquility.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by Dios(f): 1:38pm On Dec 22, 2008
bigmodo:

I hate this rubbish country. I want to travel out. This country pisses me off. I am tired of Nigeria. In fact, i denounce being a nigerian. Sometimes i wish i was never a nigerian, in fact i am not a nigerian. It must be a mistake because i shouldn't be a nigerian. I am not like them nigerians, i live the life of an european. I want to go to where i truly belong, that's europe or america. How come i was born in nigeria? You people know quiet that i am not a nigerian. Do i look like a nigerian? No, i don't. Staying in this country makes me angry and mad. If i no leave una country soon, i go mad oo. Make una help leave o by getting visa for me.

You must be a comedian! That rant is funny as hell. smiley

cool zil:

any more yankeeites, jandites, overseaites  on a long stay to defend themselves, what a pity on  those who have  sold  themselves away from their home land and  never intend to return home  sad

Cool zil, why you mad?
Why i won't move to Nigeria? I love my life over here.  Point blank Period.

Besides when you have a president that doesn't  appoint a pharmacist (who was allegedly doing a good  job at NAFDAC) as the INFORMATION MINISTER, then i'll consider living in nigeria. or maybe I should be the president. cool
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by coolzil: 10:02am On Dec 29, 2008
@ Dios

why you mad?

this thread  was created to allow people express their feelings about d topic. if u know u are already a victim of the topic of discussion why exploding that way! well i already know your  type , we aint  here to abuse or insult anyone. if u know u cant express or defend yourself like an intellectual, responsible and refined diasporan u are free to leave, no hot feelings,
(hiss out),
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by symbian03(m): 1:41pm On Dec 29, 2008
@Bigmodo, wow you funny like CRAZY, smiley i can't just stop laughing hahahaha. Well i love ma country NIGERIA,da green land of wayo and poverty. No sincerely i love Nigeria NO matter what. Guys can't you see we're still better than some west african countries? And yet their citizen do not cause problems and disgrace to their communities. Though i do not in anyway blame people when they shows curiousity about achieving thier aim. But let also take things easy because what will be will be. @Bigmodo hmmm hmmm i'm short of words.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by bronxdog: 1:49pm On Dec 29, 2008
I pity you all.

come 2009, there will be 1600 people out of jobs on a daily basis, and these will include those Nigerians who have felt there is no place to live but the UK, and when they are out of jobs, there will be nothing to fall back upon, because, it is not easy having savings up in the UK, and what happens to them, they wont be able to come back home to Naigeria, because they had always seen nothing good in Nigeria, they had always focused on the good life of light, electricity, good roads, etc, and whn the time comes, these things are what they will eat, because there wont just be no place for them in Nigeria.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by damiso(f): 2:28pm On Dec 29, 2008
bronx_dog:

I pity you all.

come 2009, there will be 1600 people out of jobs on a daily basis, and these will include those Nigerians who have felt there is no place to live but the UK, and when they are out of jobs, there will be nothing to fall back upon, because, it is not easy having savings up in the UK, and what happens to them, they wont be able to come back home to Naigeria, because they had always seen nothing good in Nigeria, they had always focused on the good life of light, electricity, good roads, etc, and whn the time comes, these things are what they will eat, because there wont just be no place for them in Nigeria.
Sheeeesh why the gloating?and who told you there wont be no place for them in Nigeria?I have followed your posts and you seem like the sort who would rejoice at other people's misfortune?Why not spare a thought for those people in NIGERIA who are being supported by this people?I know loads of families whose breadwinners are these people you are gloating about.Nigeria is a paradise we know ati gbo. angry People dont lose their jobs in nigeria,everybody in nigeria has 10 million naira in their savings acct we have heard.

1 Like

Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by symbian03(m): 8:03pm On Dec 29, 2008
lol
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by chyk91(m): 10:32pm On Dec 29, 2008
lol
grin grin
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by bronxdog: 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2008
damiso:

Sheeeesh why the gloating?and who told you there wont be no place for them in Nigeria?I have followed your posts and you seem like the sort who would rejoice at other people's misfortune?Why not spare a thought for those people in NIGERIA who are being supported by this people?I know loads of families whose breadwinners are these people you are gloating about.Nigeria is a paradise we know ati gbo. angry People don't lose their jobs in nigeria,everybody in nigeria has 10 million naira in their savings acct we have heard.

Who you be? You wan fok me also?
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 30, 2008
^^^ His_Grace, take it easy! cheesy
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by igbogolo: 6:12pm On Dec 30, 2008
@ Bigmodo.
I truly wish you wil travel someday. Its my earnest prayer for you.
when you go ( and come back), please do not forget to share your experience truthfully on this forum.
Re: Why Ma Naija People Prefer Staying Abroad: by samuel7: 8:53pm On Apr 17, 2015
It's always interesting when people share their thoughts and experience about living abroad. It's advisable to get detailed info of your destination and have a solid plan before you embark on the journey. No place like home really but I have heard people saying there are opportunities abroad. I will also like to use this medium to inform anyone home or abroad having issues getting their educational documents verified by ministry of education can contact me for help. Samuelwillougby@gmail.com

God bless us all.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military / Information On How To Obtain A Missionary Visa To South Africa / If You See This In Your Passport What Will You Do ? ( Pic )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.