Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military (2964 Views)

Will Children Born In American Embassy Be Given US Citizenship? / German Citizenship For Nigerians Wey Don Japa / Canada Expands Path To Citizenship For Foreigners; Including Asylum Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:15am On May 01, 2022
I chose to post this information because I’ve been invited to naturalization ceremonies for my little cousin who came here on a student visa and her male friend because I helped them through the process!
While everyone may not fit the criteria there are those that may. Please read the information provided in the body and at links carefully to find out if you may qualify. Please keep any questions on the board so that others can benefit from answered questions

Who may qualify : Male and female F1 visa holders that possess critical skills. Normally, these students wouldn’t qualify but if the student is 35 years of age or under (39 years of age for the Navy and Airforce) and are gaining or have already gained a critical skill through your education in the US, you can apply for an exemption to join the military and become a US Citizen using Form N-400 after one year of military service. Critical skills usually include medicine, specific IT concentrations, certain types of engineering, etc. If you have a legal spouse and/or dependents (children, parents, and sometimes siblings) they may also qualify. Graduate students and Green card holders may also qualify.

Benefits of joining the military while an F1 visa or green card holder : signing bonuses, tuition exemption/reimbursement, housing stipend, health, dental, and vision for you, your spouse, and minor dependents, salary while still a student of approximately $25,876/year (which will increase after earning a degree), eligibility for VA loans, pension, life insurance, possible access to GI Bill for dependents.

Steps : if you’re here on a valid F1 visa or have a valid green card, contact a recruiter to find out if your skill is considered critical here:
www.recruiting.army.mil
www.airforce.com/find-a-recruiter
www.navy.com

If your skill is found to be critical and you join the US military, read about becoming a citizen here: https://www.uscis.gov/military/naturalization-through-military-service

Good luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by onedayatatime(m): 6:08am On May 01, 2022
Thank you for posting this information. The link to the US army isn't working, you might want to check that.

How does one apply for an exemption to join the military?

You mentioned that you helped two people through the process, do you mind sharing what you did exactly? Thanks!

2 Likes

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 8:04am On May 01, 2022
onedayatatime:
Thank you for posting this information. The link to the US army isn't working, you might want to check that.

You mentioned that you helped two people through the process, do you mind sharing what you did exactly? Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up. Try www.goarmy.com to make contact t with a recruiter.
The first thing I did was convince both my younger cousin who came here from Nigeria tk school and her male friend to prepare for then take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Education Battery). Information can be reviewed here:
https://www.officialasvab.com/
Neither of them were interested in taking the ADVAB but they finally did and both had very good scores. The scores alone made them extra attractive so I had both of them reach out to military recruiters who discussed their fields of studies and how expertise in those fields could fill a critical need in the military. Both recruiters helped them fill and submit the exemption forms and both got accepted.
I’ll suggest that you contact recruiters and prepare to take the ASVAB and you’ll receive assistance with applying for assistance. If you’re currently on a US College campus, you can make an appointment to meet with your campus recruiter who will walk you through the process. After all, military recruiters get huge incentives and bonuses by successfully helping new recruits enlist.

3 Likes

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by sallysalsa09: 8:15am On May 01, 2022
Ok
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by onedayatatime(m): 9:34am On May 01, 2022
onedayatatime:

1stGenAmerican:

Thanks for the heads up. Try www.goarmy.com to make contact t with a recruiter.
The first thing I did was convince both my little cousin who came here from Nigeria to school and her male friend to prepare for and take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Education Battery). Information can be reviewed here’s:
https://www.officialasvab.com/
Neither of them were interested in taking it but they finally did and both had very good scores. The scores alone made them extra attractive so I had both of them reach out to military recruiters who discussed their fields of studies and how expertise in those fields could fill a critical need in the military. Both recruiters helped them fill and submit the exemption forms and both got accepted.
I’ll suggest that you contact recruiters and prepare to take the ASVAB and you’ll receive assistance with applying for assistance. If you’re currently on a US College campus, you can make an appointment to meet with your campus recruiter who will walk you through the process. After all, military recruiters get huge incentives and bonuses by successfully helping new recruits enlist.

Thank you for the explanation. It was really helpful. I never knew that it was possible to apply on an F-1 visa.

I'll check out a recruiter next week to see what my chances are. Have a great day!

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by onedayatatime(m): 4:29pm On May 01, 2022
Hi 1stGenAmerican,

I've been reading around the topic you raised. It looks like the program has been suspended for now due to security concerns (please see link below on the suspension). The program is called MAVNI, and like you rightly said it's meant to recruit international students with critical skills. However, it hasn't reopened since 2015 or so when it was temporarily suspended. Out of curiosity, when did your cousin and friend enroll for the program? What skills did they possess to enlist in the military? Thank you!

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/schools/additional-resources/what-is-mavni-information-for-designated-school-officials

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:51pm On May 01, 2022
onedayatatime:
Hi 1stGenAmerican,

I've been reading around the topic you raised. It looks like the program has been suspended for now due to security concerns (please see link below on the suspension). The program is called MAVNI, and like you rightly said it's meant to recruit international students with critical skills. However, it hasn't reopened since 2015 or so when it was temporarily suspended. Out of curiosity, when did your cousin and friend enroll for the program? What skills did they possess to enlist in the military? Thank you!

https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/schools/additional-resources/what-is-mavni-information-for-designated-school-officials

I understand the linked information and know about MAVNI but while very similar, it isn’t the same thing I discussed. If you are already in the US on an F1 and enrolled in school full-time, I still suggest you contact a recruiter to discuss a possible exception. Both began the process in 2021 and the critical skills came from clinical training in a BSRN degree program and a Robotics Technology program.

2 Likes

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by zellfoxx: 2:57pm On May 02, 2022
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by onedayatatime(m): 2:29pm On May 03, 2022
I checked with the local recruiting firm (army) here in New York, and I was told I must have a green card in order to join. There are no exceptions for F1 visas holder that they are aware of.

What state did they join? I've spoken to different people and green card is a number one on the list for non US citizens in order to join the military.

2 Likes

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by onedayatatime(m): 2:31pm On May 03, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I understand the linked information and know about MAVNI but while very similar, it isn’t the same thing I discussed. If you are already in the US on an F1 and enrolled in school full-time, I still suggest you contact a recruiter to discuss a possible exception. Both began the process in 2021 and the critical skills came from clinical training in a BSRN degree program and a Robotics Technology program.

I've tried multiple ways but green card is a necessity for joining according ti ng recruiter. Please look into this information, I'm not sure about F1 visas holder, except state by state enrollment differs.

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Seventhheaven: 2:36pm On May 08, 2022
Is nursing among any of the critical skills please?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by tellwisdom: 11:03am On May 10, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

No CIA, NSA or FBI recruitment?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 11:39am On May 10, 2022
As a programmer with passion for military, I'm at cross roads.

Should I chase my programming career(more money) or chase military career(my passion with lesser money).
There are really no programming jobs in the military, they outsource it to private contractors.

I'm talking about US military ofcourse.

NB:I'm still in Nigeria but by God's grace I'll be a citizen. grin

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 11:45am On May 10, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
I chose to post this information because I’ve been invited to naturalization ceremonies for my little cousin who came here on a student visa and her male friend because I helped them through the process!
While everyone may not fit the criteria there are those that may. Please read the information provided in the body and at links carefully to find out if you may qualify. Please keep any questions on the board so that others can benefit from answered questions

Who may qualify : Male and female F1 visa holders that possess critical skills. Normally, these students wouldn’t qualify but if the student is 35 years of age or under (39 years of age for the Navy and Airforce) and are gaining or have already gained a critical skill through your education in the US, you can apply for an exemption to join the military and become a US Citizen using Form N-400 after one year of military service. Critical skills usually include medicine, specific IT concentrations, certain types of engineering, etc. If you have a legal spouse and/or dependents (children, parents, and sometimes siblings) they may also qualify. Graduate students and Green card holders may also qualify.

Benefits of joining the military while an F1 visa or green card holder : signing bonuses, tuition exemption/reimbursement, housing stipend, health, dental, and vision for you, your spouse, and minor dependents, salary while still a student of approximately $25,876/year (which will increase after earning a degree), eligibility for VA loans, pension, life insurance, possible access to GI Bill for dependents.

Steps : if you’re here on a valid F1 visa or have a valid green card, contact a recruiter to find out if your skill is considered critical here:
www.recruiting.army.mil
www.navy.com

If your skill is found to be critical and you join the US military, read about becoming a citizen here: https://www.uscis.gov/military/naturalization-through-military-service

Good luck!

Please what do you suggest is the fastest way to get US greencard/citizenship for we that don't have anybody there.

It's fine if you can't say it publicly,I can email you if you want.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Lotusflowerbomb: 1:53am On May 11, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Seems this person no longer has the answers to our unending questions. Perhaps her brother was just lucky.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:44am On May 11, 2022
tellwisdom:

No CIA, NSA or FBI recruitment?

I didn’t mention those agencies in my original messages. For answers to that question, the interested party would need to go to the US Office of Personnel Management’s Website.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:45am On May 11, 2022
Lotusflowerbomb:
Seems this person no longer has the answers to our unending questions. Perhaps her brother was just lucky.

I never mentioned my brother anywhere in this thread. What question do you have for me, I’ll be happy to answer?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:46am On May 11, 2022
Albertone:

Please what do you suggest is the fastest way to get US greencard/citizenship for we that don't have anybody there.

Are you or are you not in the US as a student/F1visa holder?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:50am On May 11, 2022
Seventhheaven:
Is nursing among any of the critical skills please?

As far as I know, yes however there’s no guarantee on the branch. There should be recruiters for each branch as well as your state’s National Guard/Reserves assigned to your campus. If you can’t contact them through the financial aid office, try the links in my original message.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 6:54am On May 11, 2022
onedayatatime:

I've tried multiple ways but green card is a necessity for joining according ti ng recruiter. Please look into this information, I'm not sure about F1 visas holder, except state by state enrollment differs.

It can vary from branch to branch and also by state. Did you make contact with any branches besides the Army? Have you spoken to a recruiter from your state’s Army/National Guard?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Lotusflowerbomb: 7:09am On May 11, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

I never mentioned my brother anywhere in this thread. What question do you have for me, I’ll be happy to answer?

Can you pls help answer this? Cos the last time I checked, you need a green card to join the Army. “Please what do you suggest is the fastest way to get US greencard/citizenship for we that don't have anybody there.

It's fine if you can't say it publicly,I can email you if you want.“
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:13am On May 11, 2022
Lotusflowerbomb:

Can you pls help answer this? Cos the last time I checked, you need a green card to join the Army. “Please what do you suggest is the fastest way to get US greencard/citizenship for we that don't have anybody there.

It's fine if you can't say it publicly,I can email you if you want.“

Did you read any of the information at the links I provided that helps those without a green card? Are you already here in the US?
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by hammed71(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2022
I don't think it's possible to join the army without having a green card first
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 9:27am On May 11, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Are you or are you not in the US as a student/F1visa holder?

I am in Nigeria.Never stepped my foot there before.

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Lotusflowerbomb: 9:54pm On May 11, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

Did you read any of the information at the links I provided that helps those without a green card? Are you already here in the US?
Yes I perused the Go Army website, and filled the form to speak with a recruiter since I read those are the first steps In enlisting as a Soldier. I am not currently in U.S.

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:01pm On May 11, 2022
Lotusflowerbomb:
Yes I perused the Go Army website, and filled the form to speak with a recruiter since I read those are the first steps In enlisting as a Soldier. I am not currently in U.S.

That won’t be successful. For Nigerians, F1 Visa and Green Card holders. There are concessions for citizens of certain other countries like the Philippines but none that I know of for Africans.

2 Likes

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 6:40pm On May 24, 2022
Albertone:

1stGenAmerican
Please you didn't answer this question.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by 1stGenAmerican(f): 3:51am On May 25, 2022
Albertone:

1stGenAmerican
Please you didn't answer this question.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Tinubuofemmanu: 5:03am On May 25, 2022
Poster,Stop creating posts that u don't have adequate information for people that will ask questions.
Am currently serving in the US Army and I joined with a green card because I live in America.
Firstly, nobody, I repeat nobody from Nigeria resident in America can join US Army with no green card even if you have F1 visa. Green card is the password for journey to the Meps.

Also, if you currently live outside America or specifically live in Nigeria, forget about joining US Army, it's not possible.

1 Like

Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 7:56am On May 25, 2022
1stGenAmerican:

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card

I know the way to their website before asking you na.
Some "stuffs" won't be put up on the website.Only a fellow countryman/woman can give that kind of route.
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Albertone(m): 7:59am On May 25, 2022
Tinubuofemmanu:
Poster,Stop creating posts that u don't have adequate information for people that will ask questions.
Am currently serving in the US Army and I joined with a green card because I live in America.
Firstly, nobody, I repeat nobody from Nigeria resident in America can join US Army with no green card even if you have F1 visa. Green card is the password for journey to the Meps.

Also, if you currently live outside America or specifically live in Nigeria, forget about joining US Army, it's not possible.

Uncle US Army,shey we should track her and arrest her for inadequate information? grin
Re: Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military by Malcolmsweet: 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2022
1stGenAmerican:
While everyone may not fit the criteria there are those that may. Please read the information provided in the body and at links carefully to find out if you may qualify. Please keep any questions on the board so that others can benefit from answered questions please check your pm, I’m interested in this program and currently in the us. Please kindly check your pm

www.recruiting.army.mil
www.navy.com

Good luck!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Salary Would I Need To Survive In Dubai? / Study In Brazil / How To Get Jobs In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.