Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,102 members, 7,835,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

5 Tips On How To Reduce After-work Stress - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Tips On How To Reduce After-work Stress (725 Views)

6 Tips On How To Avoid Losing Your Temper At Work / See How You Can Do Marketing Without Stress I / Airtel’s Indians To Reduce Staff Salary By At Least 60%: Strike Action Looms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Tips On How To Reduce After-work Stress by insidifyguru: 11:03am On Sep 05, 2014
Stress is almost inevitable. It is there with us everywhere we Glo (sorry, go). It is particularly worse when you've been on a 9-to-5 job and you just got off. But here is good news for you. Below are five tips that are sure to help relieve some of that pent up energy.

1. Leave the office...mentally
The reason you are more stressed than you should after work is most probably because you have not really left the office in your mind. You are still thinking about that unfinished task you left behind. If you are this kind of person, you really need to make a conscious effort to leave work behind not just physically but mentally as well.

2. Listen to music on the drive/walk home
Music soothes the soul. Keep a playlist of your favourite songs on your phone or mp3 player and listen to them on the drive home! Don't have a car? No worries! Your favourite songs will still work magic on your stressed nerves!

3. Chew gum
Yes! Gum! Scientific studies suggest that the act of chewing gum can reduce Cortisol (the hormone that's released in response to stress and a low level of glucose) levels, helping to alleviate stress.

4. Eat right
When you finally get home (especially for our Lekki people who get home upwards of 9pm), try to avoid eating the heavy stuff. You are very hungry yes, but that Pounded (or poundo) yam is not the best option for you. Eat something light. This helps to mentally prepare you for sleep.

5. Sleep well
Resist the urge to watch that Telemundo or that movie when it's time to sleep. Sleeping early, and well, is the ultimate stress reliever and is a prerequisite to a great next day at work. If racing thoughts keep you from falling asleep or you wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep, do this simple task: cover your right nostril and breathe through your left for three to five minutes. I'm not sure if it'll work but hey, there's no harm in trying!

Have any more stress-relieving tips? Why don't you share in the comment section. P.S: Please let me know if the nose trick works! smiley
Re: 5 Tips On How To Reduce After-work Stress by ugreat(m): 7:33am On Sep 08, 2014
Thumps Up bro. U rock!
Re: 5 Tips On How To Reduce After-work Stress by insidifyguru: 9:16am On Sep 08, 2014
Thanks for your kind words ugreat.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Feel About What My Boss Said? / Why Few People Are Rich In Nigeria And Why Some Are Poor In Nigeria / I Cheated My Way Through School, Now Am Born Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.