Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,049 members, 7,859,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:30 PM

We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize (756 Views)

The Nairaland Literature Board And The Change It Needs / Mo Yan Wins Nobel Literature Prize / Adeleke Adeyemi Wins $100K (₦16m) LNG Literature Prize For 'The Missing Clock' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
In appreciation of the awesome poems, short stories, novellas and dramas composed and shared by active members of Nairaland, may I suggest we launch an annual Nairaland Literature Prize to be awarded the member rated and voted as the best and most viewed poster on the Literature Forum.
The Nairaland Literature Prize will be in the form of a cash reward of not less than N100, 000 and a certificate with a publishing contract for the best collection of the winner's writings on Nairaland.
The prize should given at the end of every year.

I welcome more suggestions.

PS: The owner of Nairaland and Admin and the OP of this suggestion will not be eligible for this prize. But personally, I will do my best to make it successful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by slap1(m): 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
Supported.
We should also consider grammar and punctuation errors. Being the most-viewed writer shouldn't necessarily qualify one for the prize. Writing in abbreviations should also be prohibited.

I also suggest we nominate a four to six-man panel of judges.
Finally, I think Mr. Seun should help with the fundraising.

1 Like

Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2014
slap1: Supported.
We should also consider grammar and punctuation errors. Being the most-viewed writer shouldn't necessarily qualify one for the prize. Writing in abbreviations should also be prohibited.

I also suggest we nominate a four to six-man panel of judges.
Finally, I think Mr. Seun should help with the fundraising.

Yes. I said the one rated and voted the best.
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by tpia1: 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2014
1. where is the cash coming from?

2. The rating and voting should not come with any prize ( or minimal prize) besides the publicity and publishing contract, imo. Rating on nl doesnt always reflect quality or saleability. You should make sure the work will appeal to a post-nl audience unless your intentions are for nl alone.

3. Who would be the panel of judges, what are their antecedents/qualifications for the position (preferably not based on popularity/buddy system plz)

4. The publishing contract makes sense but only if a swot analysis accompanies it.

5. Which genres or subjects?

6. Any guidelines for works examined?
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by tpia1: 3:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
just my opinion
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 11:30am On Sep 11, 2014
tpia1: 1. where is the cash coming from?

2. The rating and voting should not come with any prize ( or minimal prize) besides the publicity and publishing contract, imo. Rating on nl doesnt always reflect quality or saleability. You should make sure the work will appeal to a post-nl audience unless your intentions are for nl alone.

3. Who would be the panel of judges, what are their antecedents/qualifications for the position (preferably not based on popularity/buddy system plz)

4. The publishing contract makes sense but only if a swot analysis accompanies it.

5. Which genres or subjects?

6. Any guidelines for works examined?

Haba, this is not a literary contest for the Man Booker or Nobel.
Let us just do it to motivate members to come up with better writings and jo, kini swot analysis? Na KPMG go analyze am? grin
Small small o.
Let readers just rate and vote for all the stories as they are posted and the poem, short story, play or essay with the highest votes gets the prize.
N100, 000 is easy to raise annually.
I will contribute this year and may sponsor the entire cash prize from 2015 by the Grace of God.
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
(dips nose inside the bags of cash and flings out the currency, ladies dance around trying to get a piece of me)
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by LarrySun(m): 1:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
Orikinla:

Let us just do it to motivate members to come up with better writings and jo, kini swot analysis? Na KPMG go analyze am? grin
Small small o.
Let readers just rate and vote for all the stories as they are posted and the poem, short story, play or essay with the highest votes gets the prize.
N100, 000 is easy to raise annually.
I will contribute this year and may sponsor the entire cash prize from 2015 by the Grace of God.
Really? May God bless your pockets. When shall we start. In Jesus name, I must win! grin
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by D9ty7(m): 11:20am On Sep 12, 2014
Larry why? Let your brother win it nau. Afterall if I win it is because you are here. #Yougerrit?
LarrySun: Really? May God bless your pockets. When shall we start. In Jesus name, I must win! grin
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by OMA4U(m): 12:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
I think there should be a transparent guidelines for the prize. It shouldn't just be based on the readers' comments which peradventure prone to bias.
And any work here that must win the prize should be an outstanding work that will speak for the ingenious works of nairaland writers. NO MEDIOCRITY PLEASE
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by Orikinla(m): 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
OMA4U: I think there should be a transparent guidelines for the prize. It shouldn't just be based on the readers' comments which peradventure prone to bias.
And any work here that must win the prize should be an outstanding work that will speak for the ingenious works of nairaland writers. NO MEDIOCRITY PLEASE

The Admin and moderators can set the rules.
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by tpia1: 9:35pm On Sep 12, 2014
Orikinla:

true.

i just realized it after i posted.

if the contest is for nl standards and nlers, then nothing wrong with that.
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by OMA4U(m): 1:59am On Oct 17, 2014
Sir Orikinla, where have you been?
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by texanomaly(f): 3:14am On Oct 17, 2014
Nice idea. smiley
Re: We Should Have Nairaland Literature Prize by kingphilip(m): 4:45am On Oct 17, 2014
this is a welcome development if you ask me but I have little suggestions to make
first I'll like a clear cut rule guiding the awards to be put in place so as for voters to have a sense of direction and such rules should be adhered to the later
secondly, I'll advise that there should be seasoned panel of judges who have unquestionable integrity in the forum and they should be in charge of nominating at least 5 best stories for the voters to choose the very best out of the 5 because if nominations is left in the hands of the readers, the writer with the highest fanbase goes with the award thereby defeating the purpose of the award which is to appreciate the best work on nairaland for that year

my 2 cents though for now if I have other suggestions I'll surely post it here

(1) (Reply)

Life And Writings / [Bulk Document Printing @ 5-naira/Page] 08125754333 / Must Read: Escaping Impossible Bosé

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.