Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? (25768 Views)

Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians / Nigerian Army Visits Innoson Manufacturing Plant At Nnewi Anambra (Pics) / Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by ba7man(m): 10:08am On Sep 09, 2014
omar22:

Volkswage took over Skoda and Seat and continue to run those firms and supplied parts and engines and modified designs
Car companies don't necessarily need to be absorbed by a parent car company to strike "Parts sharing" deals.

They could still approach proven mass market auto companies for access to their old tech, they would gladly give it up.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Toyota, Nissans, KIA's and co are indeed in the american market.. Not all their ranges and even the ones that do are built to spec for the American market. grin Thats why a Sienna brought in from Yankee and one brought in from Asia are different in spec. grin

America would not allow cars that dont have a certain level of quality and safety rating into their market.

Honda, Toyota and Nissan meant for Asian and Middle East markets are more luxurious than their american spec models. They offer more equipment as standard issue where american spec offers same as optional extras. In America, toyota make most cars there for mass market target. So issue of Quality and safety rating isn't founded here (at least with these three brands), infact of lately, most American brand lexus, toyota and honda are facing serious recall issues due to one flaw or the other.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:09am On Sep 09, 2014
londoner:

Ok, but you kind of presented it as if you wont see those brands in Europe or the US?

Ofcourse not!

Many Korean and American cars are in the U.S and European Markets.. Hondas, Subarus, Toyotas, KIAs, Hyundais, Suzukis, e.t.c all are in the U,S Market. This is not only because the quality of these cars generally improved even outside the U.S, but also because they manufactured some of those cars with particular attention to U.S standards..

Example: Things like recalls:: I doubt a Chinese car company would sell their cars in the U.S market with the same standards they send to Nigeria and Africa in general. Reason:: If a car is sent out with faulty parts that is recognised, unlike in Nigeria and Africa where they can get away with it, in the U.S they would face serious government sanctions and also face class action lawsuits that can bankrupt the company.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:10am On Sep 09, 2014
lomomike:

Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Infiniti, Hyundai, they are Japanese and Korean brand, they don't come cheap depending on the model, trim level and option installed. They are well built they are more reliable and durable than most European and American brand. They don't cut corners during production Lexus for one is produced in Tahara plant which is the most robotized and most computerized manufacturing plant in the world today, They even sell much more units than the over glorified European marques. Why are they durable, reliable and sell more?
Pls let's not bring in racism or other form of sentiments into this highly interesting topic.

Thanks.

Racism?! undecided

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:16am On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:
Just as Acura, Honda and Ford can have the capacity to do design but don't! You posting picture of similar products from different manufacturer does mean each don't have it own concept. Ketocolnazone have more than one manufacturer producing it.
NB
Innoson could send specification to those Chinese companies like others are doing.

Now, you are confusing yourself. Firstly, Acura is a brand of Honda. Secondly, Honda and Ford do design their own cars.
Thirdly, Innoson does not yet have the capability to design their own car for mass production. They make acquire the know-how in the future, but currently, they are just assembling GAC cars for West African market.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by mickyarams: 10:21am On Sep 09, 2014
omar22:

Volkswagen is the parent company of Audi

BMW owns the Mini

Open, Vauxhaull and Chevy are all part of the GM group

The polish Polonez has got Fiat engine in them and the poles are proud of it. Mazda 2 and 3 have got ford engines in them and does not affect its Japanese heritage in anyway. The Indian Tata had humble beginnings like innosson and today they own Jaguar Landrover in England.
Innosson might be assembling different vehicle components here but we should celebrate the thousands of jobs that will create instead of going on how it's not 100% Nigerian.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:29am On Sep 09, 2014
lomomike:

Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Infiniti, Hyundai, they are Japanese and Korean brand, they don't come cheap depending on the model, trim level and option installed. They are well built they are more reliable and durable than most European and American brand. They don't cut corners during production Lexus for one is produced in Tahara plant which is the most robotized and most computerized manufacturing plant in the world today, They even sell much more units than the over glorified European marques. Why are they durable, reliable and sell more?
Pls let's not bring in racism or other form of sentiments into this highly interesting topic.

Thanks.

Because of market research. They ask customers what they want, what they will give up in a car to get that which they want. The surveys show them very surprising results which other tie wearing marketing executives in the over hyped european companies didn't see. So they build cars tailored to the customers' need.

I'll give you an example. Many small cars accelerate fast because the manufacturers think they need to compensate being small with speed, So they put 1.4l engines and some add turbos. What happens is that most small cars are bought by women and women don't care much about acceleration and some even don't like the fast jerking ones. So the koreans made small 1.0 litre engine cars at low price. The europeans are still playing catch up.

European car makers like SEAT or RENAULT cannot even survive today's competition without government back up.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:31am On Sep 09, 2014
mickyarams:

The polish Polonez has got Fiat engine in them and the poles are proud of it. Mazda 2 and 3 have got ford engines in them and does not affect its Japanese heritage in anyway. The Indian Tata had humble beginnings like innosson and today they own Jaguar Landrover in England.
Innosson might be assembling different vehicle components here but we should celebrate the thousands of jobs that will create instead of going on how it's not 100% Nigerian.

I agree with you 100%.
Innoson should just stop telling us they are a car makers until they actually start making cars.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Now, you are confusing yourself. Firstly, Acura is a brand of Honda. Secondly, Honda and Ford do design their own cars.
Thirdly, Innoson does not yet have the capability to design their own car for mass production. They make acquire the know-how in the future, but currently, they are just assembling GAC cars for West African market.
Parent company doesn't mean the same brand and Ford and Honda have cars that are similar. So similar that you need the see the name tag be be sure. My question is, "how do you know that Innoson does not have the capacity to design for mass production"? If Ford with her capacity to design still produce similar cars with another brand, why is the similarity between GAC and Innoson a problem. If Innoson is assembling for GAC in west African, the name will not be IVM. Going by ur logic, NASSAN should be assembling "Hummar Bus" for Toyata because both buses are the same different only in brand name.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 10:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:
Parent company doesn't mean the same brand and Ford and Honda have cars that are similar. So similar that you need the see the name tag be be sure. My question is, "how do you know that Innoson does not have the capacity to design for mass production"? If Ford with her capacity to design still produce similar cars with another brand, why is the similarity between GAC and Innoson a problem. If Innoson is assembling for GAC in west African, the name will not be IVM. Going by ur logic, NASSAN should be assembling "Hummar Bus" for Toyata because both buses are the same different only in brand name.

Have you followed Innosons business model from way before they started assembling cars?! That is from their days of assembling cars till now.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Have you followed Innosons business model from way before they started assembling cars?! That is from their days of assembling cars till now.
I am not saying Innoson wasn't assembling cars in the past. In fact, he started with motorcycle. Now he name his vehicle IVM, that makes the thing his own. If not, somebody would be suing him now.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by tomakint: 11:09am On Sep 09, 2014
This is a very cheering news, Innoson vehicles (be it trucks, buses, jeeps) have come to stay, in no short distance this proud Son of Africa will be recognised worldwide as an innovator with a class!
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by HuJJC(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2014
tomakint: This is a very cheering news, Innoson vehicles (be it trucks, buses, jeeps) have come to stay, in no short distance this proud Son of Africa will be recognised worldwide as an innovator with a class!

God bless you bro! I think those hating this are so tribalistic,envious of this achievements,the area and/or tribe he came from. I might not be ibo , but the ibos are the best thing to happen to Nigeria and Africa as a whole, believe it or not. I have a friend from one of the African countries i have been to, He told me that the day Ibo man will rule Nigeria, he will move permanently to Nigeria. Does that make any sense to you guys? So you can't stop their ingenuity and their courage to be the best in whatever they do. If you think Job creation in Nigeria by these indigenous companies is bad, it is better you are dead. Stop hating on someone's struggle to better his life and lives of those under him or work for him. IVM vehicles have been on Nigeria roads for a long time and have not recorded any accidents, and you guys here hating. I think some people here are KIDS rubbing shoulders with adults. Nonsense. God bless IVM!! Thanks

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:
I am not saying Innoson wasn't assembling cars in the past. In fact, he started with motorcycle. Now he name his vehicle IVM, that makes the thing his own. If not, somebody would be suing him now.

Why would somebody sue him?
Do you sue your licenced distributors?

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2014
tomakint: This is a very cheering news, Innoson vehicles (be it trucks, buses, jeeps) have come to stay, in no short distance this proud Son of Africa will be recognised worldwide as an innovator with a class!

My people still cheering mediocrity.

Nobody knows him outside Nigeria. Assembler of Chinese cars. grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Why would somebody sue him?
Do you sue your licenced distributors?
A licensed distributor doesn't claim ownership. That is stealing. You can not tag your name on a product manufactured my another person even if you are the sole distributor. You can only do that if you are paying them to manufacture the product for you. In that case, it is your product. In car manufacturing, this happen all the time. There was a time Toyota was designing engine parts for Ford Motors. Even Honda was one time designing piston for Toyota before he start making his own car. Innoson do not need to do the design himself. He can pay some one who can do it for him. If he is paying for the design, technically it is his design. If GAC is not complaining that her product is being renamed, than they are the one working for Innoson assuming there own the patent to the design of those product. Or both Innoson and GAC are being service by a third party that own the design.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by idoncome: 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Do you know that toyota and kia design their own cars?
Do you know that toyota and kia parts are not produced in china?
Do you know that toyota and kia don't just stamp their badges on someone else's cars?

Don't compare ingenuity and mediocrity.
You again!!! still attacking ivm. i say dis because u dnt waste time to make negative comments on any thread dat carry innoson company as headline. DEM send u or dey PAY u for d job ?? wat is ur interest cos dis is no longer a personal opinion tin. Happy hating grin
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by idoncome: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Attaching your badge on another man's car does not mean you made it.
Now i undastand u are a paid agent to destroy innoson biz on online.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2014
idoncome:
You again!!! still attacking ivm. i say dis because u dnt waste time to make negative comments on any thread dat carry innoson company as headline. DEM send u or dey PAY u for d job ?? wat is ur interest cos dis is no longer a personal opinion tin. Happy hating grin

I'm not attacking IVM. I'm just saying things as they are. Innocent knows that Nigerians are gullible people that will believe anything told to them by people in authority. That's why he got traditional rulers on his side declaring him a car maker. Tribalism is also making us wanting to believe nonsense because as Innocent is Igbo, Igbo people will like it to be true that he is a car maker.

The reality is that Innoson was a school drop out Nnewi spare parts seller that started importing chinese motorcycles. He made money from that and started branding them IVM. He upgraded to cars. I hope one day he upgrades to making his own cars, (I would be really proud) but as of today, those IVM vehicles you are seeing were conceived, designed, and fabricated in China by GAC motors, who hold the patent for the design and parts. Innocent is an assembler that has no single patent on any part of those cars. He only has copyright to the brand name IVM and INNOSON.

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
2n2k: I actually thought that Alfascletzer photoshopped the pictures but I just google the company now - GAC Zhejiang Gonow Auto Co. and behold, G5 is 100% that Chinese company's product even the same name.

But why should innoson claim what he is not? Being called a vehicle assembler is enough achievement. Why claim he designed and manufacture vehicles that are imported in semi-knocked down (skd) stage not even completely knocked down (ckd) parts.
BUSTED!!!!
To simply put it, this innoson guy is a fraud.

OK, he ships the chassis, engine, doors, windows, etc from China, then gets some mecho, panel beaters and upholstery guys to put the cars together. How can we call this engineering why would anyone want to compare KIA. Toyota or Hyundai with a mechanic workshop

All he does his re-badge those chinese toys with no specifications. No wonder the government refused to patronize his cars and buses. We can as well get them for a cheaper price in China.

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 3:34pm On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:

Actually... Its the exact same business model used for the Motorcycle Company. You sign an MOU with the OEM and you are allowed to produce same parts, same machines under a different logo.

Ogbuawa motorcycles does the exact same.. Even some Generator companies are doing same.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2014
omar22:

They are not killing NOTHING!!!!!

Kia is there but in the small car, Hatch back, 5 doors, Sedan, estate, Luxury or coupe... Kia is nowhere near dominating any of those market. They might make one model that wins best small car of the year but it doesnt mean they are dominating that market. Do you know how long the "Corolla" dominated the small car industry before the Volkswagen Golf moved in?

Then I will have to say, you know nothing about the car industry.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by amanikondo: 3:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Do you know that toyota and kia design their own cars?
Do you know that toyota and kia parts are not produced in china?
Do you know that toyota and kia don't just stamp their badges on someone else's cars?

Don't compare ingenuity and mediocrity.

I say this same SUV on Alibaba. I can just buy and put my badge in it. Innoson means No Innovation.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 09, 2014
redsun: It will be the duties all sane Nigerians to see that it excels over foreign companies. It is not just it monetary values,but ventures like that marks the true beginning of Blackman's emancipation, his coming of age to the machine and vehicular age. An age that he can create and make ways where there are no ways.
So you are advising that people should use their hard earned money to buy a car whose fuel consumption is likely 25l/100km when a confirmed KIA gives you 10/100km. Safety features, power output, accessories e.t.c unknown!

I don't think that is a smart idea.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
londoner:

Actually, Toyota, Nissan, KIA are quite common in the European markets. They are not in the top 10, but they are in the market and quite common. I don't know about the US, but that's because the US promotes buying US products, or what is "perceived" to be US made......lol

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2013-full-year-europe-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands/
You are correct... Infact, the top list of selling cars in US is populated by Japanese and Korean cars with a few fords and Chrysler.

On the most affordable list, an Hyundai comes first followed by Honda and Toyota.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Midsize-Cars/
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by iswallker(m): 7:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

I'm not attacking IVM. I'm just saying things as they are. Innocent knows that Nigerians are gullible people that will believe anything told to them by people in authority. That's why he got traditional rulers on his side declaring him a car maker. Tribalism is also making us wanting to believe nonsense because as Innocent is Igbo, Igbo people will like it to be true that he is a car maker.

The reality is that Innoson was a school drop out Nnewi spare parts seller that started importing chinese motorcycles. He made money from that and started branding them IVM. He upgraded to cars. I hope one day he upgrades to making his own cars, (I would be really proud) but as of today, those IVM vehicles you are seeing were conceived, designed, and fabricated in China by GAC motors, who hold the patent for the design and parts. Innocent is an assembler that has no single patent on any part of those cars. He only has copyright to the brand name IVM and INNOSON.

You don kill them with point finish... grin

I dey find ur moniker make I like ur post then read later cause its always good.

Anyway inotsense is non of my business..I drive a ford explorer v8 4.6l..nice truck... grin
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
princefunmi:
Then I will have to say, you know nothing about the car industry.

Either way I know more than you
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by ghananotnaija(m): 10:15pm On Sep 09, 2014
The small voice of reason pointing out that Innoson simply assembles Chinese-made garbage is being drowned by typical idiotic Nigerian arrogance defending this company that is closer to a mechanic's workshop than a car manufacturer. Some even try to console themselves that just because Asians can produce decent car brands like Toyota or Nissan then so can Nigerians. Well, here's a newsflash: race has nothing to do with auto manufacturing! Race doesn't even exist; it's only a social construct! While a global car manufacturer, not an assembler of imported trash, may one day arise from Ghana, Nigeria will never produce one! Look at your mess-of-a-country, at your people's base mentality, and you'll realise that I'm right.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 09, 2014
ba7man: Alfaseltzer just revealed a Chinese clone which showed that Innoson vehicles aren't their design.

250000 cars in 6yrs time?

That's truly a lofty target.

So the hell WHAT if Innoson vehicles ''are not their design''? In the grand scheme of things, ie Nigeria becoming a vehicle manufacturing power, it matters little if Innoson 'designed' their cars or if someone in China or Korea did. What matters is output. South Africa exports 300,000 cars per annum, which contributes over $40 billion annually to her GDP. The main players there are GM, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW etc. They have their car assembly plants there. None of their cars was 'designed in South Africa'. Also, many car component manufacturers exist in SA, serving the car assembly plants. The plants also import some parts etc. Nobody goes around SA saying ''this manufacturer is only 'assembling'', or ''that manufacturer is not really producing cars because he imports components from Germany'' etc etc. The most important thing is OUTPUT. Output means economic activity. The more cars produced the more money is being made, and the more Nigerians are getting paid. Simple. The Innoson plant today employs over 7,000 Nigerians! It's not some backyard enterprise. Worrying yourself over the manufacturer's production system or ethos, as opposed to counting the output, is a total waste of time and energy.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
ghananotnaija: The small voice of reason pointing out that Innoson simply assembles Chinese-made garbage is being drowned by typical idiotic Nigerian arrogance defending this company that is closer to a mechanic's workshop than a car manufacturer. Some even try to console themselves that just because Asians can produce decent car brands like Toyota or Nissan then so can Nigerians. Well, here's a newsflash: race has nothing to do with auto manufacturing! Race doesn't even exist; it's only a social construct! While a global car manufacturer, not an assembler of imported trash, may one day arise from Ghana, Nigeria will never produce one! Look at your mess-of-a-country, at your people's base mentality, and you'll realise that I'm right.
U sound more dumb than a Nigerian. Where are you from?
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 09, 2014
omar22:

Either way I know more than you

Prove it
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 10, 2014
So the real question is can gac motors compete with Toyota and Kia?

Innoson is essentially a distributor. Much like Jubaili bros and other Perkins engine generator distributors.

What that ultimately means is you get even lower quality than the gac product, because our manufacturers do not assemble well. Throw in some 'entrepreneurial' greed where fairly used gac car engines and transmissions are refurbed and delivered to Nigeria and the buyers are in bigger trouble. ( this is a trend in several knock down imports - distributors often sell refurb as new in this country) it will be nice if all the innoson boosters have the liver to put their money where their mouth is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ferrari's Newly Unveiled £3m FXX-K Evo Hypercar Is Like A Fighter Jet On Wheels / How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway / Check Out The 36-inch Hubless Motorbike With A 300hp Rolls-Royce Aircraft Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.