Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,064 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? (1289 Views)

Meet The Nigerian Woman That Built 4 Bedroom Flat From Roasted Corn Business / Is Nigeria Untapped And Ready For Outsourcing? / Affiliate Marketing - A Gold Mine Untapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by dearie(m): 2:41am On Jul 27, 2006
In as much as I agree that Nigerias business terrain is fertile, one irony that hovers around us is the collapse of businesses here and there, yet we hear businesses thrive more here than some other places, and b4 u ask the next ques, they mention MTN,Virgin Nigeria and the likes., but how about the cart-pusher, the phone card retailers etc, is the market not for them too?
What do u think?
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by my2cents(m): 4:02am On Jul 27, 2006
The Naija market to me is highly untapped. The ones that are tapped need a little refining to be better, thatz all. The problem with doing biz there is that:

1) You need major pepper to establish big time

2) You have to deal with potential bad belle

3) Loans are hard to come by and when available, conditions are "one in town (like pay 50% within 30 days and the rest over 3 months)"

4) You better be there to run it yourself cos if you aren't, you might as well assume you are the UN cos you won't see a penny of your money.

From recent visits, it's getting better sha, especially in the IT sector. As I tell pple here and there, the time to jump in to the biz market in naija is now. I personally expect a big boom once there is a successful handing over of power on 2007, emphasis on "successful". Political instability has denied us of major Foreign Direct Investments (FDI).

Thatz my 2 cents.
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by diyobdw(f): 8:51am On Jul 27, 2006
I think it Difficult To Tap From b'cos the issue surrounding doing biz in nigerialike:
lack of information sources
Fund
The economy And yes Power (PHCN aint friendly)
Some people are cracking the wall but few are ready for the hustle;
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by Mariory(m): 2:43pm On Jul 27, 2006
I would say both. It's highly untapped because it's difficult to tap from.
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by my2cents(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2006
Mariory LOL,

Sounds like a line right out of Catch-22 grin
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by dearie(m): 7:57am On Jul 29, 2006
@ Mariory,

I guess u are a lyricist grin grin grin
Thanx all the same for dropping by.
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by otokx(m): 2:19pm On Jul 29, 2006
Its difficult to tap from because provision is not made for corruption. Only recently MTN raised alarm on how much diesel it was loosing from its base stations across Nigeria due to pliverage (not theft). Provision can be made for corruption when government makes available such basic infrastructure as electricity, roads and health care.
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by my2cents(m): 4:30am On Jul 31, 2006
otokx:

Not to deviate, but in my humble opinion, based on my observations when there, I think MTN is just throwing that out there so as to keep inquisitive minds at bay regarding how they are seriously raping you guys, courtesy of recharge cards, which u have to keep on buying, otherwise risk losing ur line.

Now, back to the topic at hand wink
Re: Is The Nigerian Market Untapped Or Difficult To Tap From? by sammiek1(m): 6:39pm On Jul 31, 2006
the Nigerian market is a virgin market . Check out the influx of China and South African firms into the market. Just look well, and do a proper and analytical survey, though nigerians lack patience and you will surely see where to invest . Nigeria has a projected population of 150 million people. You cant beat that. Hurry and invest.

(1) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With 20k / Starting And Growing A Business. / Pls How Do I Start A Viewing Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.