Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University (34320 Views)

7 Benefits Of Attending A Public University / Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by OduntanGabriel(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2014
This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Here are the 6 reasons why I attending a private university is good for you.

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Anyi3(m): 6:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
lol I smell blood

6 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Psalmpy(m): 6:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
Reserved space

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2014
The labour market has change,employer will not Ask u whether u atend a pivate or a public university,it depend on ur own ability,d way u develop urself.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 09, 2014
Most students in private universities are students that failed JAMB.

200 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by constance500: 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2014
Useless post... Op are u high undecided

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by kudoxs(m): 7:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
Chidinho10: Most students in private universities are students that failed JAMB.
90percent of them failed utme and couldn't cope with the struggle to be one of the chosen out off millions that vie to gain admission into public universities.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Aidy97(f): 8:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
Public universities like secondary schools?? U must be referring to private universities..eating like a vegeterian,not cooking in the hostel and limited freedom are som of the bizarre tins private universities condole that is so secondary schoolish

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by yorex2011: 8:51pm On Sep 09, 2014
I don't mean to be rude.. Buh i think the writeup is a boatload of crap... Dats my opinion... But then.. I wud assume u attend/attended a private uni

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by yorex2011: 8:54pm On Sep 09, 2014
Have you sat down to ask yourself.. The owners of these private universities.. Where did they study during their time?... You talk about connection.. Isnt that why we have so many incompetent people in places of authority.. Believe me.. If u are good at wat you do... Your brain takes u places, not connection..

84 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2014
All ur writeups are shambles... There's no private university dat can stand d quality education dat OAU, U.I, UNN and d likes offer. #teampublicuniversity#

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by promisechild(m): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2014
This your write-ups really shows the reason you resorted to attending a private university having failed jamb severally.

bullet point

your write-ups is full with gbaguan

32 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by seanet02: 10:08pm On Sep 09, 2014
Arrant Nonsense

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by gen2briz(m): 10:47pm On Sep 09, 2014
OP did you really mention discipline....... You got to be kidding me

16 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 12:22am On Sep 10, 2014
This op must be high••Go and find out...there are children of Millionaires that attend Public Unis in Nigeria

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 12:40am On Sep 10, 2014
Aidy97: Public universities like secondary schools?? U must be referring to private universities..eating like a vegeterian,not cooking in the hostel and limited freedom are som of the bizarre tins private universities condole that is so secondary schoolish
Madonna University allow students to cook in hostels.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by flolancracker: 12:50am On Sep 10, 2014
Chidinho10: Most students in private universities are students that failed JAMB.
And most students in public universities are the ones who cheated their way through.

At the end of their Bsc degrees, the private graduate turns out to be the better graduate. Not hating on public universities, I'm simply paying you back in your own coins, because you generalised first.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by samypopson: 4:06am On Sep 10, 2014
flolancracker: And most students in public universities are the ones who cheated their way through.

At the end of their Bsc degrees, the private graduate turns out to be the better graduate. Not hating on public universities, I'm simply paying you back in your own coins, because you generalised first.
you mean to say they cheated their ways 2ru post jamb examinations? Don't think u knw wat u re saying guy

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by CharlieMaria(m): 7:36am On Sep 10, 2014
TTC
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Abbey2sam(m): 7:36am On Sep 10, 2014
N

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Tmtn: 7:37am On Sep 10, 2014
Wow! Good and great reasons..

Fu:ck public universities!

6 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2014
6 reasons not to go to school loading...........

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by lilprinze: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2014
All this point doesn't change the fact that private universities are just like advanced or glorified Borden school or prison , where you lack freedom to do a lot of things all in the name of discipline.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 10, 2014
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by itsIYKE(m): 7:38am On Sep 10, 2014
private universities are filled wit losers from well-to do families,who can't compete

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by swhiss: 7:39am On Sep 10, 2014
private university peeps are actually pained!

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by ichommy(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2014
I will repeat my yesterday comment again.

i rep CU home of kings and queens #eagle wink

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by stinggy(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2014
lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by dagr8(m): 7:39am On Sep 10, 2014
Counter thread grin
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 10, 2014
OduntanGabriel: This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Well, am sure if someone gave you automatic admission in UI ,you would grab it grin,but go on....

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

Back in the 1970's when the total number of university students did not exceed 90,000, and there were just six universities....govt could afford to fund all the unis and meet maintenance costs effectively. Now....they can't. because there are over 50 Govt unis, and over a million students....and the money isn't enough.

And if fees go up.....everyone is up in arms.

Govt does show concern....the problem is money ain't enough. And when ASUU tried to get more money....you Nigerians forced them to take 1/3rd of what they originally got....and that over five years.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

Thank God you get it. But most Nigerians don't get it. They would rather earn degraded degree at cheap price....instead of quality degree at good price.

I went to a public uni at N2000 per annum. (later raised to N18000). And I got poor facilities.Meanwhile, some relatives of mine are going to foreign universities at high costs (and it is not as if their parents are rich)....and getting quality degree.

Now who will the blue chip company employ?....

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

Connections are good.....but you still have to work hard too.

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

That is the fault of poor policing....due to poor funding for our police. And state police isn't going to make it better.,....because running a good police force costs billions of dollars. You want good police....pay high taxes.(Which most Nigerians will refuse to pay because.....we are poor.....so poor...).

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

That is because with funding for education below 10% of the budget.,...there isn't enough funds for lecturers salaries , facilities, etc. That is why Govt should either increase fees.....or they remove the fuel subsidy...and use the money to fund education well.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.

I like the discipline....but then again, uni students are adults....so softly softly.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by ayukdaboss(m): 7:40am On Sep 10, 2014
OduntanGabriel: [s] This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university. [/s]
Big Bag of Poo angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Deplorable State Of Ogidigben Internal Road in Warri, Delta State. / FUOYE Bans Students From Using Cars On Campus (pics) / Ogun: Smoking Schoolgirls Asked To Return To Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.