Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

Obama From A Cultural Perspective - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Obama From A Cultural Perspective (2372 Views)

Poll: A Nigerian father would've hurt Obama's campaign badly because of bad image

True: 42% (3 votes)
False: 42% (3 votes)
Not sure: 14% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. / Igbo Men's Ways, A Cultural Thing ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 3:26pm On Oct 30, 2008
With the bad image trailing Nigeria, do you think Obama would have come this far in American politics if his father was Nigerian?. How will the American populace characterize him if his roots are traced to Nigeria.

It wouldn't be so difficult for them to get a background information from google because they will quickly pull up tribal wars among Nigerians washing their dirty linen in public especially in Nairaland.

Which tribe in Nigeria will most likely hurt or help his image?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 3:28pm On Oct 30, 2008
I'd say Ibibio/Efik and Uneme will help him better but Hausa will hurt his political career the most.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by spikedcylinder: 4:23pm On Oct 30, 2008
I'm waiting for the sledge hammers. . . . cheesy
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by AloyEmeka9: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2008
I'd say Ibibio/Efik and Uneme will help him better but Hausa will hurt his political career the most.
Why would Hausa hurt him any more than Yoruba or Igbo?. undecided
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 10:59pm On Oct 30, 2008
Why would Hausa hurt him any more than Yoruba or Igbo?.
They support Os Bin La undecided
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 30, 2008
PepERSprAY:

They support Os Bin La undecided
Since when? shocked
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 11:16pm On Oct 30, 2008
Since when?
Na 2 day?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 30, 2008
Since when na? Or is it because majority of them are muslims
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 11:24pm On Oct 30, 2008
Since when na? Or is it because majority of them are muslims
Since after 9/11. Obama wouldn't have made it this far if his father was Hausa.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 30, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Still don't think that they follow Osama o tongue
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 11:38pm On Oct 30, 2008
Still don't think that they follow Osama o
They did clap for him, praise him and put up his posters in their kiosks. many home grown Nigerian terrorists are Hausas, so what else do you need?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 11:41pm On Oct 30, 2008
PepERSprAY:

They did clap for him, praise him and put up his posters in their kiosks. many home grown Nigerian terrorists are Hausas, so what else do you need?
If that is so, that does not speak for hausas as a whole, just because some men did so and so the rest obviously do the same? Hmmm.  tongue

This is even the first time I'm hearing this sha.

Plus, how do you know about them clapping, praising etc smiley
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 11:43pm On Oct 30, 2008
Plus, how do you know about them clapping, praising etc
Amebo, you want to put in trouble with that jinxing jewish hausa heiress?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 30, 2008
Mrs pepper, you have not answered my questions o tongue
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:02am On Oct 31, 2008
Mrs pepper, you have not answered my questions o
Which questions? Do you think Obama would've made it to this point if his father was Nigerian considering our bad name?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 31, 2008
These questions:

Just because some men did so and so the rest obviously do the same?

and

PepERSprAY:

Which questions? Do you think Obama would've made it to this point if his father was Nigerian considering our bad name?
Only if they are ignorant enough to think that one bad egg in the basket means that the rest are also bad. So If I am a murderer, you are also a murderer because you are also a nigerian abi? When voting, I believe that the majority taking part are intelligent enough to know not everyone is necessarily the same when it comes to a country.  Speaking of Nigerians, what has tribes got to do it? 
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by JJYOU: 12:11am On Oct 31, 2008
ibkaye:

Only if they are ignorant enough to think that one bad egg in the basket means that the rest are also bad.   Speaking of Nigerians, what has tribes got to do it? 

this is not a case of one bad egg but too many bad eggs.  as for your

what has tribes got to do it?

being nigerian, you know tribe has to do with almost everything.  don't you see it even here in NL?

PepERSprAY:

there is no way the american media would not have found one bad thing or the other about extended members of his family
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:12am On Oct 31, 2008
Only if they are ignorant enough to think that one bad egg in the basket means that the rest are also bad.
They are that ignorant. Majority of them.

So If I am a murderer, you are also a murderer because you are also a nigerian abi? When voting, I believe that the majority taking part are intelligent enough to know not everyone is necessarily the same when it comes to a country.

Sorry, thats the way Americans think.

Speaking of Nigerians, what has tribes got to do it?
The media will do a background documentary on him, his tribe and his political rivals will surely characterize him if his fathers people have issues.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by KarmaMod(f): 12:14am On Oct 31, 2008

This doesnt make sense seeing that his father was a Muslim
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 31, 2008
JJYOU:

this is not a case of one bad egg but too many bad eggs. as for your

being nigerian, you know tribe has to do with almost everything. don't you see it even here in NL?
Still does not matter, whether 'one' or 'many', there's a huge difference when we are talking about 'every'

The vote is not being held in Nigeria, but the USA, I doubt the majority of Americans voting are aware of the tribal stereotypes hovering around in naija  
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:16am On Oct 31, 2008
The vote is not being held in Nigeria, but the USA, I doubt the majority of Americans voting are aware of the tribal stereotypes hovering around in naija
They already knoow Nigeria and 419 and typing Nigeria alone on google will bring tribal threads from nairaland to the offshore and that will surely be an easy read.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 12:18am On Oct 31, 2008
PepERSprAY:

They already knoow Nigeria and 419 and typing Nigeria alone on google will bring tribal threads from nairaland to the offshore and that will surely be an easy read.
Kind of sad to see people thinking like that, If they do lipsrsealed
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:20am On Oct 31, 2008
This doesnt make sense seeing that his father was a Muslim
Did I say anything about Islam?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:21am On Oct 31, 2008
Kind of sad to see people thinking like that, If they do
That's how they reason here. Don't Nigerians reason alike?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by KarmaMod(f): 12:22am On Oct 31, 2008
PepERSprAY:

Did I say anything about Islam?

why else would you mention The Hausas?
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by JJYOU: 12:23am On Oct 31, 2008
ibkaye:

Still does not matter, whether 'one' or 'many', there's a huge difference when we are talking about 'every'

you need to know how the western media work to understand how easy it is for these issues to take centre stage. dont forget this part of the world relies heavily on the broadcast news as if their lives depend on it.

remember when an igbo man was trying to become a pope?  every news media i watched  where in his village looking for old school friends and who ever. that was just a pope let alone US presidency.  the world is getting smaller
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 31, 2008
JJYOU:

you need to know how the western media work to understand how easy it is for these issues to take centre stage. don't forget this part of the world relies heavily on the broadcast news as if their lives depend on it.

remember when an igbo man was trying to become a pope? every news media i watched where in his village looking for old school friends and who ever. that was just a pope let alone US presidency. the world is getting smaller
Lol cheesy
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by PepERSprAY: 12:37am On Oct 31, 2008
remember when an igbo man was trying to become a pope? every news media i watched where in his village looking for old school friends and who ever. that was just a pope let alone US presidency. the world is getting smaller
They will unearth Nigeria mostly because it has always been a place of interest. we have more negatives than positives.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by affee(f): 1:03am On Oct 31, 2008
ibkaye:

These questions:

Ib dear, I witnessed it myself, Osama is a hero to them because he killed a lot of kafuri (unbelievers) in his jihad.

I lived in the north so I know what I'm talking about
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by JJYOU: 2:50am On Oct 31, 2008
affee:

Ib dear, I witnessed it myself, Osama is a hero to them because he killed a lot of kafuri (unbelivers) in his jihad.

[b]I lived in the north so I know what I'm talking about
[/b]i definately saw this on BBc news by their nigerian correspondent then
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by AloyEmeka9: 7:16am On Oct 31, 2008
Ib dear, I witnessed it myself, Osama is a hero to them because he killed a lot of kafuri (unbelivers) in his jihad.

I lived in the north so I know what I'm talking about

True but that was a small group of uninformed citizens. You can find same among other tribes and even inside the United States.
Re: Obama From A Cultural Perspective by AloyEmeka9: 7:28am On Oct 31, 2008
This question is thought provoking. I've thought about it over and over and somewhere lies a little fear within that Obama wouldn't have come this far if his dad was Nigerian. Advance fee fraud is a big burden on Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help Translate To Niger/delta Languages / Prince Lukman Adelodu Gbadegesin Is The New Alaafin-Elect / Ogu Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.