Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,472 members, 7,836,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. (5906 Views)

When Nollywood Act The Avenges - Photo / How Can I Download Films With My Nokia Lumia 630 / Young Nollywood Act Are After Fame Not Industry's Growth.- Mike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 8:36pm On Sep 10, 2014
I just finished watching a seasonal movie titled "The Last Ship". The film was interesting that I started making some research about the film. I discovered that a real US Navy ship was used for the film and some real life US Navy officers featured in the film to enhance its professionalism... But here in Nollywood, all we see is just childish and fake acting, nothing serious about. Even when they want to use a hospital for acting, the just bring one small room, put in a single bed and nothing more. Is it when they want to feature police station, same one roome with desk. Even the police officers in nollywood dont seem professional both in ethics and in dressing making them a joke in the film. Nollywood should try and upgrade in the method of acting as we are supposed to have grown past the level they are now. Funny enough, I watched one nollywood film yesterday. "ibu the class captain" when I was thinking it will be a comedy film that will help me foget my sorrows. I was shok to see the rubbish those guys acted. I was wondering why the actors arent ashamed for acting such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 8:39pm On Sep 10, 2014
forgive my typos... Typing from phone...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2014
Nollywood creates movies with much lower budgets than Hollywood would do. In economic terms, this makes the former more productive, cos oftentimes profit margins are way higher. In creative terms though, it makes them way inferior. But since when did Nigerians favor creativity over money? undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by lymelyte(m): 9:26pm On Sep 10, 2014
AltarBoy1: I just finished watching a seasonal movie titled "The Last Ship". The film was interesting that I started making some research about the film. I discovered that a real US Navy ship was used for the film and some real life US Navy officers featured in the film to enhance its professionalism... But here in Nollywood, all we see is just childish and fake acting, nothing serious about. Even when they want to use a hospital for acting, the just bring one small room, put in a single bed and nothing more. Is it when they want to feature police station, same one roome with desk. Even the police officers in nollywood dont seem professional both in ethics and in dressing making them a joke in the film. Nollywood should try and upgrade in the method of acting as we are supposed to have grown past the level they are now. Funny enough, I watched one nollywood film yesterday. "ibu the class captain" when I was thinking it will be a comedy film that will help me foget my sorrows. I was shok to see the rubbish those guys acted. I was wondering why the actors arent ashamed for acting such.
God bless u for this post. I just finished watching the movie yesterday. The movie got me hooked right from episode 1. The movie is mind blowing mehn.. I research online for d ss 2, it will b out next year June or July with 13 episodes.. Woe betide Nigeria movie industry for d crap they feed us.. Sometimes I wonder why they can't learn from their counterparts..
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Guykhena(m): 10:49pm On Sep 10, 2014
How many times will I keep on saying this....
Nollywood is a Joke
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 10:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
lymelyte: God bless u for this post. I just finished watching the movie yesterday. The movie got me hooked right from episode 1. The movie is mind blowing mehn.. I research online for d ss 2, it will b out next year June or July with 13 episodes.. Woe betide Nigeria movie industry for d crap they feed us.. Sometimes I wonder why they can't learn from their counterparts..
I can bet you that I learnt alot from that movie. But the reverse is the case for Nigeria movie. Infact, watching Nigerian movie is like delibrately trying to reduce your IQ. Load of crap and the actors arent ashamed for acting in such meaningless firms.

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 11:02pm On Sep 10, 2014
The last time nollywood movie made sense to me was when they used to act village films with olden days dressing... Not now that all we see is crap. Why cant they go in search of people that write films/script and not just editing and recycling already used script.

2 Likes

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by lymelyte(m): 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2014
AltarBoy1: I can bet you that I learnt alot from that movie. But the reverse is the case for Nigeria movie. Infact, watching Nigerian movie is like delibrately trying to reduce your IQ. Load of crap and the actors arent ashamed for acting in such meaningless firms.
very true bro grin
Do you hv any tv show u can suggest for me to watch? I am waiting for new seasons of most of my tv shows..
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 10:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
lymelyte: very true bro grin
Do you hv any tv show u can suggest for me to watch? I am waiting for new seasons of most of my tv shows..
Am trying to watch "Tyrant"... Though the first episode dont seem all that interesting, but the film looks promising... You can check out "teen wolf"...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by lymelyte(m): 7:24am On Sep 12, 2014
AltarBoy1: Am trying to watch "Tyrant"... Though the first episode don't seem all that interesting, but the film looks promising... You can check out "teen wolf"...
Tyrant is an interesting movie. I have finished watching it ss 1 and it has been renewed for ss 2.It is good. You will enjoy it. Teen wolf looks old to me. Anyway,i will watch the episode 1 and see for myself..
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2014
@OP....you had expectations watching a movie Mr Ibu whatever? Shame on you...you got what you deserve! Always bear in mind....the food bill for making an average Hollywood movie is wayyy more than the budget for an average Nollywood movie so don't even expect to see real looking props like Hollywood. I do agree with you that a farrr better job can be done with the little they have. As for me...I think the hayday for Nollywood as we know it has long passed 2000-2005 when they generally had better writers, actors and people who had movie making passion and pride. Now it seems all about the Emperor' s new clothes!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 4:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
@Originalsly... I got ur point, but you and I knw that we watch film for the fun of it. No one will pick a film without having an expectation. Just as sm pple watch war/action films cos of the fighting involved, sm watch love films cos of the romance.... In that same way, I saw that mr ibu film hoping its a comedy, only to be disappointed. The fact is nollywood delibrately dont want to grow, both in actors and in quality of films. How come, its virtually the same actors we know some ten years back are still the ones acting now and acting the same role... Why on earth shld emeka ike/jim iyke always act secondary school students... Why cant they look for smaller/younger ones. Take a look at foriegn films, almost evry new films stars a new actor playing an important role and not in the background... This gives room for up coming actors unlike nollywood. Nollywood dont knw that they are shooting theirself in the leg by producing crap... As most nigerians dont even like watching nollywood movie anymore and their fan base in nigeria keep going down...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 4:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
lymelyte: Tyrant is an interesting movie. I have finished watching it ss 1 and it has been renewed for ss 2.It is good. You will enjoy it. Teen wolf looks old to me. Anyway,i will watch the episode 1 and see for myself..
ok no pro... Let me quickly complete the download of tyrant...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 5:51pm On Sep 12, 2014
@Altarboy....believe you me......the film makers use the same people because they are the main attraction....the film is secondary..is like I want to make a movie...let me see if I can get Mercy Johnson and To.to Dikeh for N2.5 m each....they have enough followers that will make me a tidy profit...the remaining N3m...will have to do for everything else. Mercy and Tonto look at the money ...say ok good enough ..I'm in...ehmmm....afterall...another movie to my credit more money in my pocket..ehmmm...what is the movie about again?. Scriptwriter?...no need...I just tell them the story and we take it from there.....props...we'll rent a house and make dow ith what we have...as long as they buy the movie is my only concern...I don't care a damn if they like it or not. That's their mentality.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2014
Good one @ originasly... But when Ngierian dont watch nollywood films, the will say we dont patronise our products but watching nollywood movies takes away the little knwlegde that we have.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2014
thought m d only1 dah do notice dere nonsense nd trashy acting,dy neva act real,,sumtyms dy overact nd sumtyms dy underact..i always av passion for acting buh cn't act in dz country,,america and korea's film are still my besties up 2 date,,rwily happy dah u also noticed,,dat was y i quited watching 9ja films long ago.

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Nobody: 7:53am On Nov 03, 2014
AltarBoy1:
I can bet you that I learnt alot from that movie. But the reverse is the case for Nigeria movie. Infact, watching Nigerian movie is like delibrately trying to reduce your IQ. Load of crap and the actors arent ashamed for acting in such meaningless firms.
it reduces IQ lyk cwiously
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 03, 2014
AltarBoy1:
Am trying to watch "Tyrant"... Though the first episode dont seem all that interesting, but the film looks promising... You can check out "teen wolf"...
m now lukin 4ward to teenwolf season5,,pains me dah allison died in d movie..y cn't u try out"the secret circle"
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 8:55am On Nov 03, 2014
sophieabou:
m now lukin 4ward to teenwolf season5,,pains me dah allison died in d movie..y cn't u try out"the secret circle"
i havent watched teen wolf... Is it dat ok... And how is secret circle... Action or romance...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 8:58am On Nov 03, 2014
sophieabou:
thought m d only1 dah do notice dere nonsense nd trashy acting,dy neva act real,,sumtyms dy overact nd sumtyms dy underact..i always av passion for acting buh cn't act in dz country,,america and korea's film are still my besties up 2 date,,rwily happy dah u also noticed,,dat was y i quited watching 9ja films long ago.
lol... What surprises me most is that, even with all the high classed celebrity actor dat we have, they still act trash... Most times, am even ashamed of watching some nolly wood films and i will be like arent the actors ashamed of acting such crap...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 9:04am On Nov 03, 2014
sophieabou:
it reduces IQ lyk cwiously
am telling you... Unlike other movies that you have to think and brainstorm on what will happen next, learn how they contruct words and action to give proper meaning and understanding of films. I was watch IRIS, a korean seasonal movie. Men, even though those guys cant be compared with hollywood, but the movie made sense, was acted in 5diff country, china, japan, d two koreas and hungary.(dis is not showing anoda part of korea and caaling it anoda country cos u can actually see d diff in pple and enviromnt). Why cant nollywood come up wt smtin unique.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 2:13pm On Nov 03, 2014
Hey...you guys don't get me wrong!!....there are some good Nollywood movies....1998 to 2005...where the quality of production was poor...but jeez...the story lines and much better over all acting made them interesting. It's funny that at that time the stars weren't celebrities...but now....more celebrities than stars and almost all the movies suck...big time!
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 2:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
Originalsly:
Hey...you guys don't get me wrong!!....there are some good Nollywood movies....1998 to 2005...where the quality of production was poor...but jeez...the story lines and much better over all acting made them interesting. It's funny that at that time the stars weren't celebrities...but now....more celebrities than stars and almost all the movies suck...big time!
I used to watch nollywood movie back then, esp those one that have village settings, such as igodo and co. I can also remember great films like nneka the pretty serpent, blood money etc coming from nollywood back then. Those films are good, but recent once from nollywood are nothing to write home abt.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by prof800(m): 2:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
Originalsly:
There are New Nollywood movies that are better than the old 1998 era movies by far in terms of story and picture quality.

People are just too nostalgic and sentimentally biased.

While some refuse to wake up from their slumber.

If Nigerian movies get to Hollywood standard today, people will still bad-mouth and criticize.
But then don't some people bad mouth Hollywood too and Bollywood too?
They fail to see the good in things.

Your statement is a fallacy.!
It is just like saying for example, that a 'terminator 1' is better than an 'edge of tomorrow'. Only sentiments will let one reason in that angle.

Therefore, it is utterly absurd to say that storylines of the past beat that of the present era. Unless ofcourse you are watching 'alaba home videos'.

There is a new and better Nollywood that might not yet be world class but is steering on the right track to world class. And you don't get to see these films except in the Cinemas. The Nollywood movies on the street are 'alaba home videos' and are the lancers of the bad name of Nollywood.

MARD, Indian film is a classic, and is ever green but that don't mean that there are no better stories in today's Bollywood.

Same for IGODO, Saworoide, Nneka the snake girl, Arus-iyi, Domitila, Blood Money (Nigerian movies) and all the other ever greens. It don't mean that better stories have not been told. Maybe you don't just get to see them as alaba home videos occupy the market more whereas NEW NOLLYWOOD films are sold in theatres across the country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 3:14pm On Nov 03, 2014
@Prof800.....no doubt..picture and sound quality are wayyy better than earlier movies. It's not about being nostalgic...but about being realistic...calling a spade a spade. Of the better movies that impressed you.....if a foreigner had never ever seen a Nollywood movie...do you really think you can name 3 movies made over the past 6 years that they would find very interesting/entertaining?
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by AltarBoy1: 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2014
@prof800... Seems like you dont understnd wat we r talkin abt...
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Briareos(m): 3:45pm On Nov 03, 2014
prof800:

There are New Nollywood movies that are better than the old 1998 era movies by far in terms of story and picture quality.

If Nigerian movies get to Hollywood standard today, people will still bad-mouth and criticize.

It is just like saying for example, that a 'terminator 1' is better than an 'edge of tomorrow'. Only sentiments will let one reason in that angle.

Therefore, it is utterly absurd to say that storylines of the past beat that of the present era. Unless ofcourse you are watching 'alaba home videos'.

There is a new and better Nollywood that might not yet be world class but is steering on the right track to world class. And you don't get to see these films except in the Cinemas. The Nollywood movies on the street are 'alaba home videos' and are the lancers of the bad name of Nollywood.

MARD, Indian film is a classic, and is ever green but that don't mean that there are no better stories in today's Bollywood.

Same for IGODO, Saworoide, Nneka the snake girl, Arus-iyi, Domitila, Blood Money (Nigerian movies) and all the other ever greens. It don't mean that better stories have not been told. Maybe you don't just get to see them as alaba home videos occupy the market more whereas NEW NOLLYWOOD films are sold in theatres across the country.

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by sholay2011(m): 11:11pm On Nov 03, 2014
prof800:

You've said it all bro. smiley
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by morsadh(m): 9:26am On Nov 04, 2014
prof800:

You too make sense sir. But I think even the alaba movies can go a notch higher in production, storytelling and acting.
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by prof800(m): 12:24am On Nov 05, 2014
Originalsly:
@Prof800.....no doubt..picture and sound quality are wayyy better than earlier movies. It's not about being nostalgic...but about being realistic...calling a spade a spade. Of the better movies that impressed you.....if a foreigner had never ever seen a Nollywood movie...do you really think you can name 3 movies made over the past 6 years that they would find very interesting/entertaining?
Have you seen this short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsGJfStcYs

It is a Nigerian shortfilm and the film maker is even here on Nairaland.
This one is just recent there are many more like it that have impressed me.

I am NOT a fan of Nollywood but how could I ever help to destroy something I am supposed to help build?
Afterall I am African.

The Namibians, Kenyans and Congolese are helping to develop their movie industry by promoting, supporting and developing a positive mindset towards their industry, we Nigerians should do the same too and let Hollywood, Bollywood and whatever-wood carry their own crosses.

There is a movie I am looking forward to:
A Place In The Stars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4hS2AiqUYU

Voila!

We are in the renaissance stage of Nollywood. The beautiful thing is that you never see it coming.

We don't have that movie that will wow the world yet but we have the movies that are worth mentioning and whoever sees these movies and still thinks that Nollywood doesn't have a bright future, is only having a terrifying illusion. That person is a sadist.

I don't know what a typical foreigner would find interesting but I have an idea of what a Nigerian-in-diaspora would find interesting. And if such movies appeal to a foreigner who is watching Nigerian films for the first time then it is all good.

A typical renaissance movie like "Anchor baby",

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yx_kiBOZDA

"October 1"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7wJuPv_7o

and the "mirror boy"
http://vimeo.com/13567921&sa=U&ei=v11ZVKCWOcniavaQgagF&ved=0CDgQuAIwBVAB&usg=AFQjCNE6osM2T5ZhACuZAQFIUuYcPaORVQ

...can pique a foreigner's interest and make him know that there is a growing industry here in Nigeria that needs support.

For someone who loves action, Render to Caesar, Last flight to Abuja, Awakening, A mile from home.

and for you personally since I know you fancy slapsticks and comedy, Alan Poza, Onye ozi, Phone swap.

Find them at the Cinemas, or online at Dobox, Irokotv etc.

If you have not seen any of these movies, then it means what you have been watching is home video... alaba home video. Which means you are not in position to denigrate Nollywood because you have been in the dark.

>>The new Nollywood is budding out and trying to distinguish itself from Alaba home videos that has earned it a very bad name globally.
>>The new nollywood is a film industry, while Alaba nollywood is a video industry.
>>There is a huge difference between film and video.!

Nigerians need to open their eyes now and wake up from their slumber and abandon their believe that everything Nollywood is wacky.

Nollywood needs support from Diaspora Nigerians like you to let people see the effort being made by a few people to revolutionize the Industry (which is already on track cos this is the renaissance era).

................hopefully people will be able to open their eyes and see.

BONUS: This is a 3D animation movie by a Nigerian many many years ago. Mark of Uru and Enemy of the rising sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flbYy_erIXs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by sholay2011(m): 1:48am On Nov 05, 2014
There should be a smiley that applauds excellent posts.

Prof, you don try. *Jams hands*
Re: Why Cant Nollywood Act Films With Some Seriousness. by Originalsly: 11:00pm On Nov 05, 2014
@Prof800....fair response! Not a fan of 3D...but must say the one is interesting!....not a fan of slapstick period! Is Phone Swap slapstick?,,,haven't watched it but heard so many raving about it! Of the ones you listed I saw Mirror Boy which I thought was pretty good and interesting. Also saw the Figurine which I thought was over rated. The best I've seen so far is Mother of George...but are these Nollywood?? Last Flight to Abuja..hmmm...I started to watch it so many times but it just not holding my attention! On Alaba movies and what foreigners would find interesting....I'll get back to you on that...back to work 4 me!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Most Popular Cartoon: Your Favourite / Whats The Best And Most Intriguing Seasonal Movie You've Ever Watched? / Interesting Unknown Facts!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.