Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,317 members, 7,867,858 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 05:16 AM

Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. (31153 Views)

Oluwaseun Samuel-Fajilade With Male And Female Sex Organs Cries Out For Help / Nigerian Lady With A So, So Wide Vagina Cries Out For Help.. / West African Powerhouse Ivory Coast Battles To Keep Out Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by otswag(m): 5:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
Lilimax: Lagos, setting the pace on how to contain the spread of Ebola virus in West African town's smiley

Praying that we'll no longer discover new case in Nigeria.
i believe we were just lucky that d circumstances surrounding the outbreack in nigeria acted in our favour. What we're doing to curtail the spread of ebola Is not so différent from what other countries are trying to do. Only That they are encountering more résistance from their people than the nigerians because of the very poor level of enlightenment and exposure of their people. Its difficult putting people on quarantine n surveillance because infected and exposed people run away from health officers who want to help.Also,in these other countries,Ebola broke out in very rural communities and many of the infected people were being administered herbal concortions while others who presented to their clinics were being treated for other Common fébrile illnesses so it had spread to an unprecedented level before their govt réaliséd what was going on. We are Lucky the outbreak happened in cities like lagos n ph who have enlightened people who do not resist médical help. If d outbreak happened in a village in naija, im sure we'd still be having a serious problem curtailing d spread now. However, we shld still give kudos to d govt for their swift impressive response but i think nigerians in general should be given d greater kudos for not resisting surveillance and quarantine. The people of nigeria helped curtail d spread.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by fidzy(m): 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2014
What baffles me is we no get drug for Ebola but people de recover...except its a miracle o
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 12, 2014
FrankC3:

So in your excellent and unparalleled wisdom, diplomatic protocol permits Nigeria to approach California or State of Utah for 'help' in tackling unemployment?

Don't change the subject El Stupido.

What you stated earlier was "No country approaches a State within another sovereign country for any kind of help". States have relationships with countries. So countries can lend a helping hand without asking the feds.

Los Angeles has Sister cities all over the world as an example, and that is just a city and not even a state. Go get comfortable with Google - this information is out there you just have to stop being a close minded twit.

"California is one of the 10 largest economies in the world with a gross state product of more than $2 trillion.

According to a California state government international trade and investment study, “International trade and investment is a major economic engine for the state of California that broadly benefits businesses, communities, consumers and state government. As has been described at length in other reports, California’s economy is more diversified than ever before, and the state’s prosperity is tied to exports and imports of both goods and services by California-based companies, to exports and imports through California’s transportation gateways, and to inflows and outflows of human and capital resources.”

Although trade is a nationally determined policy issue, its impact on California is immense. California exports to approximately 225 foreign markets. Trade offers the opportunity to expand the role of California’s exports. In its broadest terms, trade can literally feed the world and raise the living standards of those around us."
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
obayaya:

And is Nigeria practicing the kinda federalism practiced in US?

I'm no there to debate that. I only waded in because Duncenia above stated that California cannot take on foreign activities.

This is not about federalism but about facts.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by soldierdollar(m): 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
Dolemite:

watdidido?

Mtcheeeeww. I have lost words ! Wish I could catch you angry
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Ryabcool(m): 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
MadCow1:

Thanks for the compliments..

And who said anything about Yorubas?! undecided You see your life?
Please! Anyone that couldn't see the intent behind that word you 'censored' to cover your eyes is either naive or malicious as you are. Save that lawyer crappy defense for yourself mehn. You meant Yoruba, you and i know it. Shikena.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2014
Firefire: They should contact the Americans.

Why do you have an inferiority complex that is causing you to come to terms that Nigeria has inherited a very positive status in the world scape on tackling a contagion?

Let's celebrate that we are recognized for something good once in a long a$$ time.

Why does it dumbfound you that Nigeria could actually be more knowledgeable on this than the Americans?

There's no epidemic of Ebola in the US, there is in Nigeria. Nigeria has one of the best survival rate, does it mot make sense for Nigeria to take the lead?
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by obayaya(m): 5:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

I'm no there to debate that. I only waded in because Duncenia above stated that California cannot take on foreign activities.

This is not about federalism but about facts.

Ok

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Ahmeduana(m): 5:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
SporaD8: I don't mean to sound selfish.
With news like this continually gracing our nation dailies, tell me why Lagos will soon not turn to dump site for Ebola victims?!
ALL NA LIE! LAGOS LIKE TO DEY pataki HERSELF?
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 12, 2014
manny4life:

Technically, it could. According to the U.S. Constitution, a state or its entity may enter with foreign entities cultural or economic agreement that does not affect foreign policy or security, and WILL NOT make or sign treaties. That's solely the power of Congress and President respectively. As long as U.S. and that country have a trade relationship which is part of the treaty, then it's possible.

Thank you.

"Governor Convenes International Trade and Investment Advisory Council

​(March 3, 2014) Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. this last week established the California International Trade and Investment Advisory Council, bolstering the state’s efforts to grow international business opportunities for California companies. He named former U.S. Ambassador to Hungary Eleni Kounalakis to chair the council.

The council will advise the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) on strategies to expand international trade and investment for California businesses. Specifically, the council will assist GO-Biz in identifying foreign markets with the greatest potential for export expansion and in developing specific export strategies for those markets – including the state’s top trading partners, Canada, Mexico and China, and emerging markets such as Brazil and India.

The California economy benefits significantly from international trade and investment. California registered a record number of exports in 2013 with businesses exporting more than $168 billion in goods, 4 percent higher than the previous year. Foreign-controlled companies employ 590,100 California workers and foreign investment in the state is responsible for 4.9 percent of the state’s total private industry employment. "

The system in Nigeria where Governors are the whipping boys of the President is archaic. US states are their own entities, their own laws and regulations, they just cannot make laws that compromises the feds.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by henryobinna(m): 5:23pm On Sep 12, 2014
MadCow1:

Abeg has fashola found the cure for Ebola?!

or are you ignorant of the fact that combating Ebola in Lagos was more of a Federal effort than state?! Or do you think the control measures put in place at Murtala Mohammed Airport (A Federal Airport) was done by Fashola?

Or the funding to the control centres were done by Fashola?!

I been think say you mad as your moniker stated. but you just proved me wrong

those guys commendinh fashola are all high on coconut water. mad people
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Okijajuju1(m): 5:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by obayaya(m): 5:29pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

Don't change the subject El Stupido.

What you stated earlier was that California cannot do business with another country.

Los Angeles has Sister cities all over the world as an example, and that is just a city and not even a state. Go get comfortable with Google - this information is out there you just have to stop being a close minded twit.

"California is one of the 10 largest economies in the world with a gross state product of more than $2 trillion.

According to a California state government international trade and investment study, “International trade and investment is a major economic engine for the state of California that broadly benefits businesses, communities, consumers and state government. As has been described at length in other reports, California’s economy is more diversified than ever before, and the state’s prosperity is tied to exports and imports of both goods and services by California-based companies, to exports and imports through California’s transportation gateways, and to inflows and outflows of human and capital resources.”

Although trade is a nationally determined policy issue, its impact on California is immense. California exports to approximately 225 foreign markets. Trade offers the opportunity to expand the role of California’s exports. In its broadest terms, trade can literally feed the world and raise the living standards of those around us."
You literally shot yourself on the foot in the last paragraph of this quote.

California engages in foreign investment because the USA national policy permits it

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Firefire(m): 5:33pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

Why do you have an inferiority complex that is causing you to come to terms that Nigeria has inherited a very positive status in the world scape on tackling a contagion?

Let's celebrate that we are recognized for something good once in a long a$$ time.

Why does it dumbfound you that Nigeria could actually be more knowledgeable on this than the Americans?

There's no epidemic of Ebola in the US, there is in Nigeria. Nigeria has one of the best survival rate, does it mot make sense for Nigeria to take the lead?

I fear for the influx of EVD patients into Lagos & Nigeria from all our porous borders.

Prevention is better than CURE.

I think this is not time for ego play.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
obayaya: .
You literally shot yourself on the foot in the last paragraph of this quote.

California engages in foreign investment because the USA national policy permits it

The only person who shot himself is you and your moronic analogy.

You continue to confuse yourself and warble all over the place.

Like I said already, the states can do anything they want except it contradicts federal laws. So if the feds already allowed them to do it why then do they need to go and ask them for help

You make absolutely no lick of sense.

PS: Get this once and for all. In the US, unless it's against the law (with a law on the books) then it's lawful and you can do it and not commit a crime.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
Firefire:

I fear for the influx of EVD patients into Lagos & Nigeria from all our porous borders.

Prevention is better than CURE.

I think this is not time for ego play.

1) I understand where you are coming from.

2) Prevention is better than cure. So Nigeria needs to engage those foreign countries and do the cure in their own country by teaching them what we did. Akin to how we take the war to the middle east so that we can continue to enjoy peace inside the US.

3) Being a leader has responsibilities.

4) As you said our borders are porous, we should not wait for them to arrive, we should be proactive and deal with it on their own soil.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by obayaya(m): 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

Thank you.

"Governor Convenes International Trade and Investment Advisory Council

​(March 3, 2014) Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. this last week established the California International Trade and Investment Advisory Council, bolstering the state’s efforts to grow international business opportunities for California companies. He named former U.S. Ambassador to Hungary Eleni Kounalakis to chair the council.

The council will advise the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) on strategies to expand international trade and investment for California businesses. Specifically, the council will assist GO-Biz in identifying foreign markets with the greatest potential for export expansion and in developing specific export strategies for those markets – including the state’s top trading partners, Canada, Mexico and China, and emerging markets such as Brazil and India.

The California economy benefits significantly from international trade and investment. California registered a record number of exports in 2013 with businesses exporting more than $168 billion in goods, 4 percent higher than the previous year. Foreign-controlled companies employ 590,100 California workers and foreign investment in the state is responsible for 4.9 percent of the state’s total private industry employment. "

The system in Nigeria where Governors are the whipping boys of the President is archaic. US states are their own entities, their own laws and regulations, they just cannot make laws that compromises the feds.

Guy..

Your argument isn't sound! !!

Who told you States in Nigeria do not conduct trade and investment summits?

Nigeria's constitution allows states the freedom to conduct their affairs in certain areas including trade and investment as long as it doesn't go against national policies.

However, Areas like national security are no go areas for the state

And Ebola is a matter of national security

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by karkel(m): 5:40pm On Sep 12, 2014
No wonder we call the giant of Africa ;DNO
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Ethereal0110(f): 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
United states release zmapp give them, then hold am back from nigeria. ABEG MAKE UNA TELL ME WHO DEY KRAZE, and who dey play tricks.
If we would offer to help GEJ must approve, non of our officials must go there, necessary supplies should only be sent to them.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by UrbanMystique: 5:42pm On Sep 12, 2014
MadCow1:

And what exactly are you thanking the LASG for and why have you chosen to leave our the real people responsible for the containment of the Virus both in Lagos State and Nigeria in general?\

Please answer.. Thanks.

and when will 1.9billion allocated by federal government reach lagos state? The success rate is all lasg. Let's say 95%lagos and 5% Nigeria in general.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Firefire(m): 5:44pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

1) I understand where you are coming from.

2) Prevention is better than cure. So Nigeria needs to engage those foreign countries and do the cure in their own country by teaching them what we did. Akin to how we take the war to the middle east so that we can continue to enjoy peace inside the US.

3) Being a leader has responsibilities.

4) As you said our borders are porous, we should not wait for them to arrive, we should be proactive and deal with it on their own soil.

1. I think some Nigeria herbalist/Trado-medical doctors have offered to treat the victim grin.

2. I would not be against any help on their soul but definitely not on Nigeria soul

3. Any further help from Medicals, Nigerian government etc. is welcome but we should not be shy to tell them no cure in Nigeria.

4. The surviving GRACE in Nigeria is DEVINE!

5. Else, Nigeria will be in a complete mess when the people turn Nigeria to Mecca of EVD cure.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by ABC247(m): 5:45pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

You failed to understand what that Guy meant. I think he was simply being sarcastic. And for the records we don't have Ebola epidemic yet in Nigeria. What we have are just few cases, EPIDEMIC as you used here is a very strong word. KUDOS TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR GETTING IT RIGHT.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by obayaya(m): 5:48pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

The only person who shot himself is you and your moronic analogy.

You continue to confuse yourself and warble all over the place.

Like I said already, the states can do anything they want except it contradicts federal laws. So if the feds already allowed them to do it why then do they need to go and ask them for help

You make absolutely no lick of sense.

PS: Get this once and for all. In the US, unless it's against the law (with a law on the books) then it's lawful and you can do it and not commit a crime.

Now tell me. .

Can California make deals with Nigeria on Ebola without the permission of the USA federal government?

That was the point the guy you were arguing with raised. But you chose to play around technicalities.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by M4gunners: 5:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
adeniyisavage:

Bad belle
There's nothing like bad belle here.The guy is on point.Why are we den blaming FG for the fight angst BOKO HARAM? Una for blame The Governors of those 3 State when B H dey bomb na.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
obayaya:

Guy..

Your argument isn't sound! !!

Who told you States in Nigeria do not conduct trade and investment summits?

Nigeria's constitution allows states the freedom to conduct their affairs in certain areas including trade and investment as long as it doesn't go against national policies.

However, Areas like national security are no go areas for the state

And Ebola is a matter of national security

Your facts are baseless and unsound.

I don't know who said what Nigerian states can or cannot do, maybe you can tell me. It wasn't me for sure since I only establish those facts I know and I can prove. So you're humping up against the wrong tree.

Ebola is not a matter of national security it's simply a health epidemic.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
ABC247:
You failed to understand what that Guy meant. I think he was simply being sarcastic. And for the records we don't have Ebola epidemic yet in Nigeria. What we have are just few cases, EPIDEMIC as you used here is a very strong word. KUDOS TO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR GETTING IT RIGHT.
Thanks.

I don't do sarcasm, I debate based on facts.

Ebola is an epidemic level in Nigeria, keeps stroking yourself.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by ABC247(m): 6:00pm On Sep 12, 2014
We must commend the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, the LASG, PH GOVERNMENT, ENUGU STATE GOVERNMENT AND INDEED ALL NIGERIANS for a successful fight against Ebola. WE MUST ALSO THANK GOD WITH ALL HONESTY BECAUSE HE FOUGHT THIS BATTLE FOR US.
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 12, 2014
obayaya:

Now tell me. .

Can California make deals with Nigeria on Ebola without the permission of the USA federal government?

That was the point the guy you were arguing with raised. But you chose to play around technicalities.

Not only California but individual companies can.

Again, unless it's forbidden by federal laws, like trading with Hezbollah, ISIL, North Korea, etc it's all fair commerce. You seem to not want to grasp that at all, which is a shame.

This is why the US economy is very strong and stable.

You call it playing around technicalities, I call it unsound debating skills.

Am I debating with children or Men?
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 12, 2014
Bravo to LASGBravo to LASGBravo to LASG
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by ABC247(m): 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

I don't do sarcasm, I debate based on facts.

Ebola is an epidemic level in Nigeria, keeps stroking yourself.
If that makes you feel good, then believe that.
Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by francescainnoce(f): 6:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
FrankC3: No country approaches a State within another sovereign country for any kind of help. Besides, the EVD control center in Lagos is not run by the LASG, it is being managed by the Ministry of Health. Liberian Government cannot approach Lagos State government for any kind of help, same way Nigeria cannot approach the California State for any kind of help.

The best that happened in this case is that the LASG collaborated with the efforts of the Federal Ministry of Health. The Director should not pretend that LASG was responsible for the EVD control efforts, no. FMH was. State Ministries of Health supported mainly from enlightenment drive, the very type that the director was doing when he/she made that statement.
Seriously maybe you didn't notice but I will tell you; you sounded bitter from the beginning of your sentence to the end. I know you have a point but at this stage , I'm not sure that should be prioritised now, the message being passed is that WEST AFRICA need help. So as a citizen it's left for you to support or argue to that fact not to help some organisation win fans.
No insult intended ohk. Xx

1 Like

Re: Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. by obayaya(m): 6:09pm On Sep 12, 2014
CityNG:

Your facts are baseless and unsound.

I don't know who said what Nigerian states can or cannot do, maybe you can tell me. It wasn't me for sure since I only establish those facts I know and I can prove. So you're humping up against the wrong tree.

Ebola is not a matter of national security it's simply a health epidemic.

Since you don't know, Next time don't be so quick to jump into arguments that may end with you saying "I don't know"

National security encapsulates a lot of things grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What The Small Generator (I Better Pass My Neighbour) Is Doing To Us / Boy Who Was Declared "Dead” Recovers (Photos) / Can Celibacy Cause Child Birth Complications? Gynaecologists' Attention Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.