Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,370 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? (3102 Views)

Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In / Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts / Why Did Christian Missionaries Claim That The Panare Indians Killed Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by BIBLESPEAKS(m): 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
shdemidemi:
I

From your understanding of scripture, who exactly is Jesus?

I'ld like to quote directly from the scriptures as I answer you.

Once, during Jesus' earthly life, he asked his disciples; who are the crowds saying I am? Luke 9:18. In reply they said: "john the baptist, but others say Elijah, and still others say that one of the prophets has risen."

As you read on, Jesus then asked them: "you, though, who do you say I am? Peter answered: "The Christ(Annointed one) of God."

The disciples belived Jesus to be God's annóinted one. They also knew that he was God's only-beggoten son, for Jesus repeatedly prayed to God in while in their midst. On one such occassion, before his death he called out with a loud voice saying: "my God, my God why have you forsaken me?" Matt 27:46

Jesus is the only-begotten son of God.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Etfash(m): 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2014
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Etfash(m): 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
BIBLESPEAKS:

Once, during Jesus' earthly life, he asked his disciples; who are the crowds saying I am? Luke 9:18. In reply they said: "john the baptist, but others say Elijah, and still others say that one of the prophets has risen."

As you read on, Jesus then asked them: "you, though, who do you say I am? Peter answered: "The Christ(Annointed one) of God."

The disciples belived Jesus to be God's annóinted one. They also knew that he was God's only-beggoten son, for Jesus repeatedly prayed to God in while in their midst. On one such occassion, before his death he called out with a loud voice saying: "my God, my God why have you forsaken me?" Matt 27:46

Perfect! Sincerely, that is scriptures. But then why did the Jews picked up stones to stone him when he made a similar comment? 'for good works we stone thee not; but that you a mere man make yourself equal with God'. It was because they have a better understanding of The Christ of God and who a Son is.

Also, how is Christ the son of God? Review Luke1:34-35. From there you will see the 'X&Y' (The Holy Spirit + the Power of the Highest) formed that divine being called Jesus. God is one; that is correct! Even the devils know this and tremble.

He said 'i proceed and came forth from the father'. John the beloved called him the Word of God in his gospel.

If you call him prophet; he is to you. If you call him Christ/Messiah; that is what he is at first to every christian but when you know him as Lord you do much better.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by shdemidemi(m): 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2014
BIBLESPEAKS:

At the time Jesus was said to be the son of God, nobody had ever been called that. Now, what does it mean to be called the son of God by God Himself?

---------------------------------------------------

Do you agree with Isaiah 9?

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by BIBLESPEAKS(m): 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2014
Etfash:

Perfect! Sincerely, that is scriptures. But then why did the Jews picked up stones to stone him when he made a similar comment? 'for good works we stone thee not; but that you a mere man make yourself equal with God'. It was because they have a better understanding of The Christ of God and who a Son is.

Also, how is Christ the son of God? Review Luke1:34-35. From there you will see the 'X&Y' (The Holy Spirit + the Power of the Highest) formed that divine being called Jesus. God is one; that is correct! Even the devils know this and tremble.

He said 'i proceed and came forth from the father'. John the beloved called him the Word of God in his gospel.

If you call him prophet; he is to you. If you call him Christ/Messiah; that is what he is at first to every christian but when you know him as Lord you do much better.

The scripure you just mentioned is John 5:18. It says: "This is why the jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he wa als calling God his father, making himself equal to God."

The qÙestion is, who was saying that Jesus was equal to GoÐ? Not Jesus. It was the unbelieving jews who reasoned that Jesus was attempting to make himself equal to God by claiming God as his father. Noticing this, jesus immediately clears this up in the next verse(john 5:19) by stating: "The son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the father doing."

So Jesus did not claim to be Almighty God or equal to him.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by BIBLESPEAKS(m): 8:26pm On Oct 07, 2014
shdemidemi:

At the time Jesus was said to be the son of God, nobody had ever been called that. Now, what does it mean to be called the son of God by God Himself?

---------------------------------------------------

Do you agree with Isaiah 9?

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

I wholly agree with Isaiah 9:6, however I want to bring something to your notice.

The scripture says "a child born to us". What comes to ones mind is that the child was brought into existence by his father. That is also the case with Jesus christ. He has a father who has bestowed on him the titles "mighty God(note: not Almighty), and "Eternal father".

This does not mean that Jesus usurps the Authority oand position of his father and God, for in 2cor 1:2 paul was inspired to write: "may you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our father and the lord Jesus Christ."
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by shdemidemi(m): 8:31pm On Oct 07, 2014
BIBLESPEAKS:

I wholly agree with Isaiah 9:6, however I want to bring something to your notice.

The scripture says "a child born to us". What comes to ones mind is that the child was brought into existence by his father. That is also the case with Jesus christ. He has a father who has bestowed on him the titles "mighty God(note: not Almighty), and "Eternal father".

This does not mean that Jesus usurps the Authority oand position of his father and God, for in 2cor 1:2 paul was inspired to write: "may you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our father and the lord Jesus Christ."

Do you mean God bestowed the 'God' title on the child?

Does that gesture make the child 'God'?
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by lepasharon(f): 9:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=Mintayo post=26930584]
What about Jesus,do you believe in Him?[/quote

Yes I do
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by malvisguy212: 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2014
[quote author=lepasharon post=26952722][/quote]thank you lady for believing in jesus,anytin you read on the internet about jesus,dont trust it,they will mix it with seduicing doctrine just to decive the children of God the only side you can get information about jesus is the bible,the word of God.i pray God strenghten your faith in the mighty name of jesus.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Crocz(m): 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2014
malvisguy212:
thank you lady for believing in jesus,anytin you read on the internet about jesus,dont trust it,they will mix it with seduicing doctrine just to decive the children of God the only side you can get information about jesus is the bible,the word of God.i pray God strenghten your faith in the mighty name of jesus.

One of those that run away from the TRUTH!...I pity you, Jesus will be back and you will be disappointed and regret not searching endlessly for the TRUTH...not even the Pope himself will come out and tell you the TRUTH, for it is the duty of everyone to search and find it...IGNORANCE is same as NEGLIGENCE!

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you
free."" (John 8:32).
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by malvisguy212: 10:43pm On Oct 07, 2014
Crocz:

One of those that run away from the TRUTH!...I pity you, Jesus will be back and you will be disappointed and regret not searching endlessly for the TRUTH...not even the Pope himself will come out and tell you the TRUTH, for it is the duty of everyone to search and find it...IGNORANCE is same as NEGLIGENCE!

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you
free."" (John 8:32).
do you know the truth? Muhammad was in the cave of hira when the truth descend on him,what truth is that? Dos that mean all other prophet were living in lies before the truth came on him?
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Crocz(m): 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
malvisguy212:
do you know the truth? Muhammad was in the cave of hira when the truth descend on him,what truth is that? Dos that mean all other prophet were living in lies before the truth came on him?

What has Muhammad or other prophets got to do with all this?...the "TRUTH" I'm referring to is not about the gospel, it's about the "PERCEPTION" of Jesus as God!
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Etfash(m): 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
BIBLESPEAKS:

The scripture you just mentioned is John 5:18. It says: "This is why the jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he wa als calling God his father, making himself equal to God."

The qÙestion is, who was saying that Jesus was equal to GoÐ? Not Jesus. It was the unbelieving jews who reasoned that Jesus was attempting to make himself equal to God by claiming God as his father. Noticing this, jesus immediately clears this up in the next verse(john 5:19) by stating: "The son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the father doing."

So Jesus did not claim to be Almighty God or equal to him.

Good one. The bible passage is actually John10:32-35. Now, I must say that if Jesus had told the disciples that he was God; many of them wouldn't be able to bear it. He told them 'there are yet many things I should tell you but you cannot bear them now'. Again when Thomas saw and touched him after his resurrection, he called Christ, His Lord and his God and Christ didn't caution him.
The Almighty God called him God in Is9:6 and Hebrews 1:7.

The truth is, until we learn to see the Christ of God as a part of God that was clothed with flesh so that we could see him; we will keep dishonouring him.

He is not a separate entity.... He is part of the Father from the beginning. He said 'I came from the Father and go to Him'. He is the visible image of the invisible God. Check out Rev.5:6. Where did the Lamb stood up from? What did his 7 horns and eyes mean?
He demonstrated everything that makes the father God while he was on earth because he is God, he created eyes, gave life calmed the storm and walked on the sea. He was not limited by the limiting factors of life. Today, we only read about him, we don't really know what he looked like.. His grave is empty.

When you try to glorify the Almighty God by demoting His son, you are being used by the devil. Peter rebuked Christ, his Lord, in Matthew 16 because, Christ spoke about his death. He felt it was belittling for the son of God to die, but that was the devil speaking through him. It is the wisdom of God!

If Jesus Christ was sanctified(separated) and sent to the world according to John 10:32-35 above; if he also 'proceeded from the Father', would it be wrong to call him Father? The Father called him 'everlasting Father'. There is no part of a king that is not a king after all, how much more his word.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by malvisguy212: 11:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
Crocz:

What has Muhammad or other prophets got to do with all this?...the "TRUTH" I'm referring to is not about the gospel, it's about the "PERCEPTION" of Jesus as God!
a man born of the spirit of God,who will be his father? On many occation jesus went saying my father,who was he reffering to? If you dont know the father of jesus you do not know the true God. To know more about jesus read colossian1.
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by Elkewwty(f): 10:57pm On Oct 27, 2014
malvisguy212:
a man born of the spirit of God,who will be his father? On many occation jesus went saying my father,who was he reffering to? If you dont know the father of jesus you do not know the true God. To know more about jesus read colossian1.

Is Jesus the same with his father? are you the same being as your father?

1 Like

Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by malvisguy212: 7:07am On Oct 28, 2014
Elkewwty:

Is Jesus the same with his father? are you the same being as your father?
Hebrews 11:3King James Version (KJV) 3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things
which do appear.

In other word, without the word(jesus) nothing that was made will be made

Jesus is supreme because “in Him all things were created” (Col. 1:16-17). “All things were created by Him,” and “for Him,” and “in Him they all hold together.” Not only is He the final Cause of creation, but also the conserving Cause that keeps it together. Everything in the universe continues to exist because of Him (Jn. 1:3; Heb. 1:2; Rev. 3:14). Nothing is to be excluded in His supremacy in creation. Christ reigns supreme over all creation, visible and invisible, material and spiritual (Eph. 1:21; 3:10; 6:12; Phil. 2:9-10; Col. 2:10, 15; Rom. 8:38-39). Jesus Christ is supreme because He is head of His church (Col. 1:18; Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23). Paul has in mind the invisible body of Christ into which every believer was baptized by the Holy Spirit when he believed in Christ as his Savior (1 Cor. 12:13; Gal. 3:28; Eph. 2:15; 3:4-5; Col. 1:26). Jesus is supreme because He is “the firstborn from among the dead” (Col. 1:18; Rev. 1:5). Christ rose from the dead never to die again (1 Cor. 15:20). His resurrection marked His triumph and supremacy over death forever. Jesus “was declared with power to be the Son of God by His resurrection from the dead” (Rom. 1:4). He lives for all eternity “on the basis of the power of an indestructible life” (Heb. 7:16). Because He lives He is given preeminence and supremacy over all creation. He is exalted over all creation by God the Father “to the highest place” and has been given “the name that is above every name . . . to the glory of God the Father” (Phil. 2:9-11). There is no name like the name of Jesus. He is the Sovereign God of all because He rose from the dead.

Jesus say "i and my father are ONE" meaning God word and jesus are one, but just as every man is greater than his word that is how God the person is greater than jesus the word.
Hope you understand?
Re: Did Jesus Claim That He Is God? by yazach: 12:13pm On Oct 28, 2014
Crocz:
malvisguy212:

Crocz:

@Crocz, you don't know him this is one of the tricks he uses when he's been caught. He either derail the topic or abuse what others hold in high esteem

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Are Beards Not Allowed For Jehovahs Witnesses? / Is Salvation By Faith Alone Or By Faith Plus Works, Is It Even By Faith At All? / Boyfriends And Girlfriends? - Visitation Of Jesus To Samuel Oghenetega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.