Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:02 AM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (405760 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by tasceige(m): 5:40pm On Jul 09, 2015
staggerman:

Sent
Gorrit...
You're best boss. God bless you and God bless you again.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by muchex: 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
@staggerman can you please send me d nebosh materials to buzzbadu@yahoo.com. tnx in anticipation
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Enasdan(m): 12:54am On Jul 11, 2015
hello house i m a fresh graduate, an HND holder in Agric engineering, i m interested in a HSE program, pls i need help where wil i start frm HSE1,HSE2 GHSE or HSE3 ,thnks in advance.....
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 12, 2015
stagerman.....pls send me the n
thaanks in advance
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Jett01: 5:48am On Jul 13, 2015
Staggerman, please send me d nebosh igc soft copy speciajett@live.com. God will bless u.Moreso i have done professional diploma wit RSUST.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by XKZ(m): 10:46am On Jul 13, 2015
Please could you send to me
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by staggerman(m): 1:14pm On Jul 13, 2015
Check your mails... Nebosh IGC and IOGC materials have been sent.

No more requests, lets discuss and answer the questions.

Anyone asking about the potentials and opportunities in HSE should take time to read through the thread.
Those questions have been asked and answered several times.

We should be discussing more advanced stuff at this stage... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2015
Usheh
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by pinc: 8:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
@stagerman,
please help me with nebosh iogc materials.
thank you
pincypon@yahoo.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Esyb: 9:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
Please, sorry i am late. I am a Corp member and I want to take up HSE courses with novelle/ Dexter and heroes/ The Training Centre (TTC) /CADD Abuja. I don't know anything about these companies and I'll like an already existing professional to help me with professional advice on which of these firms is best. Thank you
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by aamstih: 9:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
I can attest for novelle center, I don't know about others. I would also advise you to read through this thread if you are really keen on HSE.

Esyb:
Please, sorry i am late. I am a Corp member and I want to take up HSE courses with novelle/ Dexter and heroes/ The Training Centre (TTC) /CADD Abuja. I don't know anything about these companies and I'll like an already existing professional to help me with professional advice on which of these firms is best. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Esyb: 9:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
aamstih:
I can attest for novelle center, I don't know about others. I would also advise you to read through this thread if you are really keen on HSE.

Thank you.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Esyb: 10:30pm On Jul 14, 2015
What is the difference between their UK HSE and the NEBOSH HSE. the cost is also cheaper I.e UK HSE is cheaper. Y exactly.? I just visited their site btw.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by staggerman(m): 7:15pm On Jul 15, 2015
Esyb:
What is the difference between their UK HSE and the NEBOSH HSE. the cost is also cheaper I.e UK HSE is cheaper. Y exactly.? I just visited their site btw.

NEBOSH is internationally accepted in all countries...
UK HSE is regional and accepted in some countries as minimum requirement for HSE position.

2 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by devonpaul(m): 5:27am On Jul 16, 2015
[quote author=staggerman post=35812278]Check your mails... Nebosh IGC and IOGC materials have been sent.

Anyone asking about the potentials and opportunities in HSE should take time to read through the thread.
Hey bro! Think u can help with the nebosh material? I have an incomplete material (igc 1&2) that's been confusing me. Could do with a complete material. Email: phamron1@yahoo.com
Bless
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Jett01: 5:47am On Jul 16, 2015
staggerman:
Check your mails... Nebosh IGC and IOGC materials have been sent.

We should be discussing more advanced stuff at this stage... Thanks
Thanks a lot and God bless u I saw it
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by evergreen9: 8:39am On Jul 17, 2015
Hello everyone, I am not too sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I am assuming most of you here are well experienced with ISPON considering the fact that this topic has to do with HSE. Anyway my question is this : Intend to pursue a career in the field of industrial safety and I have been told that ISPON courses would be beneficial to my career goals so I would like to know if anyone here has an idea on ISPON's education requirements for those who want to register for ISPON safety professional course.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 11:46am On Jul 17, 2015
evergreen9:
Hello everyone, I am not too sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I am assuming most of you here are well experienced with ISPON considering the fact that this topic has to do with HSE. Anyway my question is this : Intend to pursue a career in the field of industrial safety and I have been told that ISPON courses would be beneficial to my career goals so I would like to know if anyone here has an idea on ISPON's education requirements for those who want to register for ISPON safety professional course.
if you have your BSC then you will start from General Health safety and environment course and if you like to go further then you can do the level 3 supervisory hse course. I advice you do the GHSE and LEVEL 3 HSE if you have your BSC. Then in time you can pickup your membership form of 30k fill it, they give you a project topic and a supervisor, you sit for exams and pass, defend your project and become a MEMBER of ISPON.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 11:51am On Jul 17, 2015
I come up on this thread thinking I see educational safety topics and professional rubbing minds on how to make workplace safer, safe lives, reduce operation cost and increase productivity BUT rather its just a place pple come to ask for materials.

The earlier the better people realize that writing safety professional courses is just a "microscopic" start..You have to be willing to read and continuously develop yourself for the rest of your life if you have decided to choose safety as a career.

What is a safety culture?

6 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by evergreen9: 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2015
zeongeon:
if you have your BSC then you will start from General Health safety and environment course and if you like to go further then you can do the level 3 supervisory hse course. I advice you do the GHSE and LEVEL 3 HSE if you have your BSC. Then in time you can pickup your membership form of 30k fill it, they give you a project topic and a supervisor, you sit for exams and pass, defend your project and become a MEMBER of ISPON.

Thanks for your response, for those of us without BSC what level would you suggest?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by alarm4: 3:28pm On Jul 17, 2015
Hello house
ADVICE PLS

I have BSc Pure And Industrial Chemistry
and I have a future JOB opporturnity in an up coming local content Oil and Gas Refinery coy starting up by latest 2018
So I have just 2 years from now till then to gather any cert or maybe you can as well advice the career path which is best for such above BSC course and the career development before kick off start of the refinery
and
Pls i need to know the career prospective to my Course and the Department in refinery that suit my course.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Gozychuks(m): 6:23pm On Jul 17, 2015
tasceige:

Gorrit...
You're best boss. God bless you and God bless you again.
Pls can u send me the Nebosh material gozychuks@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 9:20pm On Jul 17, 2015
evergreen9:

Thanks for your response, for those of us without BSC what level would you suggest?
without BSC u would have start from level 1, 2, then do GHSE and the Lvl3 HSE
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 5:15pm On Jul 18, 2015
zeongeon:
I come up on this thread thinking I see educational safety topics and professional rubbing minds on how to make workplace safer, safe lives, reduce operation cost and increase productivity BUT rather its just a place pple come to ask for materials.

The earlier the better people realize that writing safety professional courses is just a "microscopic" start..You have to be willing to read and continuously develop yourself for the rest of your life if you have decided to choose safety as a career.

What is a safety culture?

I'd say safety culture is the shared attitudes, values and beliefs of people at work concerning the risks they encounter as well as their perception towards the necessity and effectiveness of preventive measures.

Hey! Let's share our experiences here. What's been your greatest challenge so far in the HSE field and how did you overcome it?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2015
Allwility:

I'd say safety culture is the shared attitudes, values and beliefs of people at work concerning the risks they encounter as well as their perception towards the necessity and effectiveness of preventive measures.

Hey! Let's share our experiences here. What's been your greatest challenge so far in the HSE field and how did you overcome it?

Safety Culture can be said to be What we do, Why we do it and How we do it when no one is watching.

Safety Culture can be said to be set of beliefs, values ad behavioral patterns that shows one how committed an organizations management is to safety.

I won't say I have any greatest challenge but one major challenge is getting to convince management to put in safety before production...some organizations especially in Nigeria would like to throw in much financial resources in production side lining safety.

How to go about convincing the organization is to show them how much they stand to lose monetary if they neglect safety..Organizations or companies hate to lose money.

You do this by calculating presumed Loss Time Injury Frequency Rate (LTIR), Loss Time Injury Incidence Rate (LTIIR), Severity Rate (SR), presenting it to management and also open the eyes of management to the consequences/severity of the loss they may face if safety is neglected..Then questions like what do you stand to gain or lose if there is no safety, what is the value or worth of the project, companies input/output, can I risk to have additional operational cost as a result of an accident.

5 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 9:05am On Jul 19, 2015
Nice one @ Zeongeon. To obtain management commitment to HSE, I try as much as possible to get safety to complement operations/production. After which they naturally put safety first.

One challenge I have had has been the attitude of regulatory authorities to HSE. Sometimes, I wish these guys could be more thorough and professional in the discharge of their duties. Most often times they are more interested in the PR stuffs that comes with their visit than what the organization does. It's not been helpful as it gives top management the impression that it's sometimes okay to relax the rules on HSE.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 10:17am On Jul 19, 2015
Allwility:
Nice one @ Zeongeon. To obtain management commitment to HSE, I try as much as possible to get safety to complement operations/production. After which they naturally put safety first.

One challenge I have had has been the attitude of regulatory authorities to HSE. Sometimes, I wish these guys could be more thorough and professional in the discharge of their duties. Most often times they are more interested in the PR stuffs that comes with their visit than what the organization does. It's not been helpful as it gives top management the impression that it's sometimes okay to relax the rules on HSE.
My noble colleague you are right. That is why many organization don't take safety serious and don't care about the welfare of there workmen, They may have safety signs in the premises but have zero safety practice..The other time I was at an industry and I saw there safety policy statement on the wall I looked closely and discovered it had no management signature. I want to believe some regulatory authorities would have noticed that and turned blind eye to it, probably they are negligent to the implication of not having management signing on safety policy.

The lukewarm attitude of these regulatory bodies is the main reason pple die, fall ill and have there welfare neglected by there employers in Nigeria..Only if this regulatory bodies can imitate HSE executives of UK or OSHA of America when it comes to inspection and enforcing standards I believe Nigerian work places will be better for IT.

Another challenge is the lack of reporting and recording accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses and occupational health challenges.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 10:18am On Jul 19, 2015
Discussion : All accidents are incidents but not all incidents are accidents.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 10:41am On Jul 19, 2015
zeongeon:

The lukewarm attitude of these regulatory bodies is the main reason pple die, fall ill and have there welfare neglected by there employers in Nigeria.. Only if this regulatory bodies can imitate HSE executives of UK or OSHA of America when it comes to inspection and enforcing standards I believe Nigerian work places will be better for IT.

You're spot on! An incident happened at my facility sometime last year which made me wary of regulatory officials. We were behind schedule on an installation project due to the unavailability of mobile cranes to perform some lifting operations. The available ones were not suitable for the loads to be lifted. So an order was placed for the right crane from another state. Some few distance to the facility the crane was stopped by some safety inspectors attached to the local district. They okayed the crane certifying it fit for use (I later learnt money was used to grease some palms).
However, when the crane got to the facility, I took one look at the crane and wrote it off immediately. The project manager was livid saying govt safety officers had okayed the crane and if I had any objections I should talk to our HQ. Few hours later and the crane was dropping loads. Near misses here and there! The project manager later came and was like " Safety! Person go die here o! Write the gaddam thing off!"

Safety should never be compromised! Now I make sure all pre- inspection checks are carried out by my own team.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 11:03am On Jul 19, 2015
Allwility:

You're spot on! An incident happened at my facility sometime last year which made me wary of regulatory officials. We were behind schedule on an installation project due to the unavailability of mobile cranes to perform some lifting operations. The available ones were not suitable for the loads to be lifted. So an order was placed for the right crane from another state. Some few distance to the facility the crane was stopped by some safety inspectors attached to the local district. They okayed the crane certifying it fit for use (I later learnt money was used to grease some palms).
However, when the crane got to the facility, I took one look at the crane and wrote it off immediately. The project manager was livid saying govt safety officers had okayed the crane and if I had any objections I should talk to our HQ. Few hours later and the crane was dropping loads. Near misses here and there! The project manager later came and was like " Safety! Person go die here o! Write the gaddam thing off!"

Safety should never be compromised! Now I make sure all pre- inspection checks are carried out by my own team.
Thumbs up. Ironically they sideline safety but when there is an incident or accident they start shouting safety! Safety! Safety!...Could you educate us on what your check out for when inspecting cranes. I know clamps and slings are one thing you look out for but educate us more if u have time on your side.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Allwility: 12:05pm On Jul 19, 2015
Overall crane operation entails crane inspection, proper site coordination and site restrictions.

In my facility it is not a routine ops so it requires a PTW and comes with a checklist. I may not remember all but here's about the basics.
Check for operators competence/ qualifications.
Check the cranes maintenance and inspection records.
You also inspect for possible hydraulic, air or oil leaks.
Other things you should check for are structural deficiencies, secure counter weights, functional controls, running line of the main hoist drum and load charts.
Warning signs and lights should be checked. You can ask the operator to reverse the crane. Ensure its backup beeper gives off alarms that are above the noise level of the site. The crane should be rotated to check for clearance and overall stability. You should also check for jerky movements during operations. The tires should also be checked for cuts and wears. The boom, brakes and clutch should also be checked for proper operation.

These are the much I can reel off my head at the moment.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.