Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

What You May Not Know About Americans - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You May Not Know About Americans (32378 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / 10 Things Most Nigerians Do Not Know About Slavery / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 15, 2014
ebdib:

SO MANY LIES, GENERALIZATIONS AND MISINFORMATION IN JUST ONE ARTICLE.
AMAZING..

Absolutely true.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 10:38pm On Sep 15, 2014
50calibre:

Ok!! Percentage you say? Let me take you up on that.

You said America probably has a greater percentage of housewives than Nigeria right? Ok!!

According to the US census bureau, there are 5.2 million stay at home mums (as of 2013) out of about 85 million mums in the US. That gives you something in the region of 6%. Do you frankly think the percentage of Nigerian housewives is below 6%?

As for the virgin issue, how did you arrive at that? How would you even compare a liberal country like America to a deeply religious, conservative country like Nigeria, where in some cultures a woman's value is tied to her virginity?? I assume you're a resident of America, how is it you seem not to have a firm grasp on the facts pertaining to the country in which you reside?

Please enlighten me if you will.

Please note I am talking about city women not rural ones. Most Nigerian city women (graduates) are working women (unless the involuntarily unemployed ones). If they don't have 9-5 jobs, then they do business.

Besides, that, I think the figure you gave is higher than that. I am going to bed now, I cannot post any links for now. Someone should please help me out.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Danhumprey: 10:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
shachris:

Greatest Space bookers Association of Nairaland!

Meeting is holding Tonight. Fine for absence is 1k.

Tenk undecided
gringrin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

It's not a guarantee the NY Supreme Court will, and even if it does, you lobby your way to SCOTUS. Even at that, I will use stall tactics; everything necessary not to part 60% of my wealth and if possible, transfer such wealth into nontransferable asset. Something that I know will interfere will federal law.. One thing I know I will not part 60%. Donald Trump did not do that..Heck, it's time to HIRE THE EXPERTS, THEY ARE GOOD AT HIDING ASSETS. grin
Hope you're not thinking of the Cayman Islands, or Switzerland. Switzerland is a no-go area now since the Justice Department fined HSBC for aiding and abetting tax evasion by some Americans. I think the bank later released the names of American account holders to the IRS.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Blackheritage: 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
Sweetlemon: Yeah we all think America is a liberated, free country for all. But what we do not know is that to some extent, there are things that Americans still practice despite all the feminism and human rights movements, some even outdated.

1. Ain't Nothing Like Gender Equality: Yes there are a few superwomen here and there. Beyonce there, Oprah Winfrey there, female supreme court judges, etc. But there is a line drawn somewhere. Do you know that there are still many jobs that pay men more than women for doing exactly the same thing? Business policies are more male-tailored, also the percentage of female CEOs of top companies in Nigeria for instance is far more than that of the US. That's why they have so many laws protecting women to make up for this.
Also, it will be easier for a female president to come out from Nigeria than US (black or white) Let's bet this. Hilary Clinton fans take note of this.

2. They Actually Have a Deep Rooted Culture; Thanksgiving and 4th of July are traditions that will remain till thy kingdom comes and they follow it religiously. They also have certain kinds of music, food, and ways of partying that are strictly American. Apart from their atheists, they collectively say grace at the table during every family meal. They also have a tradition they observe in the weddings. Their weddings are more like trad and white rolled into one.

3. There Are Probably More Percentage Of Housewives In The US Than In Nigeria (minus rural settings); Go to high brow areas like Bel-air where there are wives of successful lawyers and and surgeons doing nothing all than taking care the kids and going shopping. Not just high brow but almost all classes of people. There are more and more housewives choosing to stay back and take care of the home. Some work from the house though.

4. There Are Lots Of Gold Diggers; This is for the "Nigerian girls and money" criers. American and Russian babes no dey carry last in the area of god digging. Marrying an American woman is like getting ready to loose more than half your wealth because in case of a divorce, the courts will give her most of your wealth which you will have to work hard to replenish. Sometimes it"s worse if she already has her own money, she will make sure she gets a good lawyer to squeeze you dry. But American billionaires have ways of making new money so they are coping. Lol. Do you know there are many, many young even middle aged attractive women with the sole aim of marrying wealthy men?

5. Straight Guys Hate Gay Guys; With a passion! Go to American sites and blogs and see anonymous comments from straight guys about gay men. You will coil! Words like "gay asss" or "gay" are used to ridicule them codedly. Gays can NEVER have equal rights in America. Politicians just use them to score points. They all know that homosexuals cannot actually live like and get all the benefits of straight people in all American states.

6. An American Guy Will Choose A Virgin Over A LovePeddler As Wife; Unless, of course love comes in, contrary to what people think that American men don't care about morality in their women, they will pick an inexperienced girl over a LovePeddler any time any day. Not like they are looking for virgins, but they need and crave decent women. If you don't believe me, watch BAGGAGE on Dstv 127 almost every evening. Also visit American blogs and forums. Yes the Average American guy can't resist some one night stands here and there but he can't marry her. Yes they can have baby mamas and even live with them, but they don't marry them.

7. There Are Actually More Percentage of Virgins In America Than In Most Countries In Africa; Some of them are the miss-goody-two-shoes, no makeup, no fancy dresses types while some are the party girl types. They chose to remain virgins not for religious reasons or because they are good girls but because they chose to preserve it for that special man, or to auction it off! Lol! Is it not oyibos that auction that virginity? Some as old as 26 years old!

8. American Guys Go To Meet Their Girlfriend's Families Long Before Nigerian Guys Are Ready For Such; They are also old-fashioned when it comes to serious relationships. Opening car doors, taking you out on several dates, and even meeting your folks before taking you to his house or asking you to come to his. Unlike our Nigerian niggas who get your number today and the next thing they are asking when you will come to see them!

9. Most American Grandmas Are Just As Prim And Proper As Ours; They take care of grandkids and give all the advice and lectures and are just as protective and desirous of grandkids as our own grandmothers.

If you doubt any of these, do some research.
I'm one of the advocates of American & white. Should leave us to develop ourselves in our own way... They cajole to make belief world and take advantage of our neglect to their own use. Of which they pratice our own without televising
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Danhumprey: 10:43pm On Sep 15, 2014
ojeota: Number 7 is a big lie
Because you've lost your virginity?undecided
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 10:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
Hope you're not thinking of the Cayman Islands, or Switzerland. Switzerland is a no-go area now since the Justice Department fined HSBC for aiding and abetting tax evasion by some Americans. I think the bank later released the names of American account holders to the IRS.

I won't evade taxes, I am an upright citizen... The only thing I'm doing is transferring my assets whereby the state cannot have access to it. To do that, remember I said I will hire the experts. This is where Asset Management firms come in. They know IRS and federal law, they will handle that headache. So if my wife was looking at an assets of say $10million, it will $500k by the time we are done, the rest are domiciled else where, a place where the state have no statutory authority. grin Few years later, you bring back your assets... Simple as A, B & C.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 15, 2014
Sweetlemon: Yeah we all think America is a liberated, free country for all. But what we do not know is that to some extent, there are things that Americans still practice despite all the feminism and human rights movements, some even outdated.

1. Ain't Nothing Like Gender Equality: Yes there are a few superwomen here and there. Beyonce there, Oprah Winfrey there, female supreme court judges, etc. But there is a line drawn somewhere. Do you know that there are still many jobs that pay men more than women for doing exactly the same thing? Business policies are more male-tailored, also the percentage of female CEOs of top companies in Nigeria for instance is far more than that of the US. That's why they have so many laws protecting women to make up for this.
Also, it will be easier for a female president to come out from Nigeria than US (black or white) Let's bet this. Hilary Clinton fans take note of this.

2. They Actually Have a Deep Rooted Culture; Thanksgiving and 4th of July are traditions that will remain till thy kingdom comes and they follow it religiously. They also have certain kinds of music, food, and ways of partying that are strictly American. Apart from their atheists, they collectively say grace at the table during every family meal. They also have a tradition they observe in the weddings. Their weddings are more like trad and white rolled into one.

3. There Are Probably More Percentage Of Housewives In The US Than In Nigeria (minus rural settings); Go to high brow areas like Bel-air where there are wives of successful lawyers and and surgeons doing nothing all than taking care the kids and going shopping. Not just high brow but almost all classes of people. There are more and more housewives choosing to stay back and take care of the home. Some work from the house though.

4. There Are Lots Of Gold Diggers; This is for the "Nigerian girls and money" criers. American and Russian babes no dey carry last in the area of god digging. Marrying an American woman is like getting ready to loose more than half your wealth because in case of a divorce, the courts will give her most of your wealth which you will have to work hard to replenish. Sometimes it"s worse if she already has her own money, she will make sure she gets a good lawyer to squeeze you dry. But American billionaires have ways of making new money so they are coping. Lol. Do you know there are many, many young even middle aged attractive women with the sole aim of marrying wealthy men?

5. Straight Guys Hate Gay Guys; With a passion! Go to American sites and blogs and see anonymous comments from straight guys about gay men. You will coil! Words like "gay asss" or "gay" are used to ridicule them codedly. Gays can NEVER have equal rights in America. Politicians just use them to score points. They all know that homosexuals cannot actually live like and get all the benefits of straight people in all American states.

6. An American Guy Will Choose A Virgin Over A LovePeddler As Wife; Unless, of course love comes in, contrary to what people think that American men don't care about morality in their women, they will pick an inexperienced girl over a LovePeddler any time any day. Not like they are looking for virgins, but they need and crave decent women. If you don't believe me, watch BAGGAGE on Dstv 127 almost every evening. Also visit American blogs and forums. Yes the Average American guy can't resist some one night stands here and there but he can't marry her. Yes they can have baby mamas and even live with them, but they don't marry them.

7. There Are Actually More Percentage of Virgins In America Than In Most Countries In Africa; Some of them are the miss-goody-two-shoes, no makeup, no fancy dresses types while some are the party girl types. They chose to remain virgins not for religious reasons or because they are good girls but because they chose to preserve it for that special man, or to auction it off! Lol! Is it not oyibos that auction that virginity? Some as old as 26 years old!

8. American Guys Go To Meet Their Girlfriend's Families Long Before Nigerian Guys Are Ready For Such; They are also old-fashioned when it comes to serious relationships. Opening car doors, taking you out on several dates, and even meeting your folks before taking you to his house or asking you to come to his. Unlike our Nigerian niggas who get your number today and the next thing they are asking when you will come to see them!

9. Most American Grandmas Are Just As Prim And Proper As Ours; They take care of grandkids and give all the advice and lectures and are just as protective and desirous of grandkids as our own grandmothers.

If you doubt any of these, do some research.
That is trash! Total BS! Don't ask me why I disagree with all you wrote there because you haven't made any sense. That is your made-up idea. PERIOD!

5 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by traware(m): 10:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Please note I am talking about city women not rural ones. Most Nigerian city women (graduates) are working women (unless the involuntarily unemployed ones). If they don't have 9-5 jobs, then they do business.

Besides, that, I think the figure you gave is higher than that. I am going to bed now, I cannot post any links for now. Someone should please help me out.
Don't you dare runaway!!!Better come back and defend the garbage you posted.'Someone should help me'(a man yes?Later,she'll declare herself a 'feminist')I dey laugh at 'I need to sleep'...intellectually lazy goat.I don catch you and expose your flabby nyansh today

2 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

I won't evade taxes, I am an upright citizen... The only thing I'm doing is transferring my assets whereby the state cannot have access to it. To do that, remember I said I will hire the experts. This is where Asset Management firms come in. They know IRS and federal law, they will handle that headache. So if my wife was looking at an assets of say $10million, it will $500k by the time we are done, the rest are domiciled else where, a place where the state have no statutory authority. grin Few years later, you bring back your assets... Simple as A, B & C.
If u 'hide' most of your assets in another state and your soon-to-be ex-wife finds out about it, your case may fall down flat. A federal appellate judge could rule that the lady also deserves a piece of the assets outside your state of residence. grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2014
@CFCFan,

Don't forget that I am a CORE Nigerian man, Americans are doing it, why can't a Nigerian do it? grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by sonnie10: 10:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
AdaNri1: American kids don't see animals except cats and dogs ( unless you pay to visit a museum).

My in law went to Nigeria recently and when they got back I asked her children the best part of their stay, they said it was seeing the live hens, goats, cows and other animals.

Animals are kept in the Zoo and not Museum. tongue

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Anacksunamun: 10:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
This is laughable coming from someone that's has never been to America. How did you come about this gross misjudgements/conclusions?

So you checked the hymen of American ladies or carried out investigations to deduce that America has more virgins than all African countries? What a joke. Close this thread!!

4 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
If u 'hide' most of your assets in another state and your soon-to-be ex-wife finds out about it, your case may fall down flat. A federal appellate judge could rule that the lady also deserves a piece of the assets outside your state of residence. grin

So at the end, the case is split between federal and state level, you see the stall tactics I was talking about? grin grin This is one battle a woman doesn't want to engage in. I am no lawyer, but it's one thing about finding out and it's another, actually proving "with facts" I have one. Well, let's see how far she will go when I have a firm like Goldman Sachs managing my asset.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by 50calibre(m): 10:53pm On Sep 15, 2014
Sweetlemon:

Looool now you're getting too vague, I could probably still take you up on that, but I will accept it as defence.

Can you see how easy it is for someone to dismantle false information? They say lies have short legs, they can't travel far grin this is what happens when you bring worthless talk that should be restricted to the salons & kitchens to a public platform like this, where broadly informed people are known to visit.

Lool next time, try to stick to facts.

4 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life: @CFCFan,

Don't forget that I am a CORE Nigerian man, Americans are doing it, why can't a Nigerian do it? grin
You're free to do it. After all, you can still minimize your losses if you hire very good tax/family attorneys. No be America we dey grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

We think alike.

You can also set up corporations and get paid by the corporation. Yeah the corporation made $100 million last year but I only got paid $500,000. The mansion and the rolls royce? Oh those belong to the corporation grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
You're free to do it. After all, you can still minimize your losses if you hire very good tax/family attorneys. No be America we dey grin

Exactly!

I will share my wealth on good terms, no more than 70:30% but anything outside 30% of my wealth to a woman is a NO. I believe 1/3rd of wealth is far more than enough for a woman who did not struggle with a man in the making. All she did was give the man the usual, abegi..
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by freecocoa(f): 10:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
cheesy grin

Sweetlemon sweetmelon, creating controversial threads since time imo river.

You never go America yet you wan educate people on how America is, Omo take am easy o.

4 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 10:59pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

We think alike.

You can also set up corporations and get paid by the corporation. Yeah the corporation made $100 million last year but I only got paid $500,000. The mansion and the rolls royce? Oh those belong to the corporation grin

Now you know what I'm talking about... I will leave the headache to the Asset Managers and their high profile attorneys to handle that..All I'm doing is chilaxing.. grin

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

So at the end, the case is split between federal and state level, you see the stall tactics I was talking about? grin grin This is one battle a woman doesn't want to engage in. I am no lawyer, but it's one thing about finding out and it's another, actually proving "with facts" I have one. Well, let's see how far she will go when I have a firm like Goldman Sachs managing my asset.
Lol
This reminds me of the story of a messy divorce case I was watching on CNBC. A lady spent 10 years cheesy doing some forensic accounting on all the financial dealings of herself and her ex husband. In the course of her investigation, she found our all his hidden assets.
Most of her friends thought she was crazy due to her doggedness, because she examined piles upon piles of documents.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
manny4life:

The judge doesn't have to sign it, it will be challenged all the way to the top... That is why the man has money. Women shouldn't reap where they have not sown...

We are talking about a prenup. A Judge has to approve a prenup for it to become valid. I read a case where some rich guy had a misunderstanding with his lawyer and the prenup was never officalised by a judge. He paid out o this nose in the divorce.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
Lol
This reminds me of the story of a messy divorce case I was watching on CNBC. A lady spent 10 years cheesy doing some forensic accounting on all the financial dealings of herself and her ex husband. In the course of her investigation, she found our all his hidden assets.
Most of her friends thought she was crazy due to her doggedness, because she examined piles upon piles of documents.

I watched that too.

If its the same one they showed the guy taken delivery of a sports car during their marriage.

During my divorce my wife just took the while file cabinet and gave it to her lawyer.

The story wey Son of Man fit tell all of una grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

We think alike.

Only if those properties are bought in the name of the corporation. Otherwise, you'd lose some of it.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Eminentsaint(m): 11:06pm On Sep 15, 2014
You're 100% wrong with number 2. Do you hoe Thanksgiving came about and to whom they are giving thanks to? Thanksgiving came into being when Christopher Columbus killed many Native Americans and soon after, they were 'thankful' that they cleared the savages out; they are not even giving thanks to God Almighty. Please, such information are very sensitive, make 'thorough' research by asking those that live in the U.S. questions and not Google or Yahoo!
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Akinsnaira: 11:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
What I read today in Washington Post contradicts what OP piled up here.

-They said, more than half of American Adults are single.

-Over 50percent of the marriage cases end up in divorce

-Over 75percent of children in America, especially male, were brought up by single parent.
Note: Single Parent means their mothers

And when I panned through the various comments, the common view was that, Feminism should be blamed for the menace, by giving women too much power in the marriage and the US law that makes the men worse off in any divorce. So funny that, some of the comments were even saying that, it is insane for any man to be legally married to a woman in America.

I think all these contradict your claim @OP

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 11:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
Lol

Divorce IS NOT good, it's often best the woman takes what her husband gives to her, and in good faith. With exception to, for instance if you have been married to your husband for up 10 or more years, then you deserve it.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:
Only if those properties are bought in the name of the corporation. Otherwise, you'd lose some of it.

You missed this part.

CityNG:

We think alike.

You can't loose something you don't own grin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:09pm On Sep 15, 2014
CityNG:

You missed this part.

You can't loose something you don't own grin

Oops. Sorry for the error.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Anacksunamun: 11:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

And they are also open about their racial problem....to the point that they went from one elected black official in 1928 to a black President and several black elected officials in 2008.

In Nigeria, I know many Nigerians who will refuse to vote for X because s/he is from tribe Y , and who will refuse to allow their children marry non-blacks.

Colin Powell once said that if his parents emigrated to the UK instead of the US (his parents were Jamaican)...and he had joined the Brtish Army,he would have risen only as high as Sergeant. (He joined the American Army....and retired as a four star general....and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff).
Preach!! Don't mind the guy, he's talking as if Nigeria's tribalism ain't enough to make walking man, lame.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by ItsAaliyah: 11:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
traware: Don't you dare runaway!!!Better come back and defend the garbage you posted.'Someone should help me'(a man yes?Later,she'll declare herself a 'feminist')I dey laugh at 'I need to sleep'...intellectually lazy goat.I don catch you and expose your flabby nyansh today

gringringrin
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by manny4life(m): 11:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
CFCfan:

It's not that difficult to transfer assets from one entity to another, at least I know that under business formation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / Oba Rasheed Akanbi Dressed As Arabian King (Photos) / Benue Community Exhumes Corpse After 48 Years, To Be Reburied In Hometown (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.