Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:21 AM

What You May Not Know About Americans - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What You May Not Know About Americans (32361 Views)

Africa Americans Of Fulani Descent / 10 Things Most Nigerians Do Not Know About Slavery / Your Thoughts On African Americans Moving Back To Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by dareogunsanwo(m): 12:42am On Sep 16, 2014
A lot of it is true
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by lovaleenny(f): 1:15am On Sep 16, 2014
traware: Just look at this imp who can't even construct a full sentence without spelling mistakes reply.Fool,have you ever been to America or experienced its various cultures before?If you haven't,how do you know all these about America?From blogs and reality tv yes?Better get down on your knees and continue using your money-maker to suck co.ck

Haba! There's no need for all this insults....can't people make a point without the insults

2 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 1:17am On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy:

cheesy just helps us feel like we are not the worst hit.
Since they all happen in America,then it's all good.
A way of saying american isn't so much better than Nigeria so we still have hope.

You get? grin

Oh. Well, America is not perfect, of course, but it gets annoying. Can't Nigerians hate on some other country that doesn't host and birth millions of their countrymen?

5 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by hunter21(m): 1:23am On Sep 16, 2014
i think ops description is more reflective of the southwest like the state of arizona
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by InvertedHammer: 1:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Sweetlemon: Yeah we all think America is a liberated, free country for all. But what we do not know is that to some extent, there are things that Americans still practice despite all the feminism and human rights movements, some even outdated.

1. Ain't Nothing Like Gender Equality: Yes there are a few superwomen here and there. Beyonce there, Oprah Winfrey there, female supreme court judges, etc. But there is a line drawn somewhere. Do you know that there are still many jobs that pay men more than women for doing exactly the same thing? Business policies are more male-tailored, also the percentage of female CEOs of top companies in Nigeria for instance is far more than that of the US. That's why they have so many laws protecting women to make up for this.
Also, it will be easier for a female president to come out from Nigeria than US (black or white) Let's bet this. Hilary Clinton fans take note of this.

2. They Actually Have a Deep Rooted Culture; Thanksgiving and 4th of July are traditions that will remain till thy kingdom comes and they follow it religiously. They also have certain kinds of music, food, and ways of partying that are strictly American. Apart from their atheists, they collectively say grace at the table during every family meal. They also have a tradition they observe in the weddings. Their weddings are more like trad and white rolled into one.

3. There Are Probably More Percentage Of Housewives In The US Than In Nigeria (minus rural settings); Go to high brow areas like Bel-air where there are wives of successful lawyers and and surgeons doing nothing all than taking care the kids and going shopping. Not just high brow but almost all classes of people. There are more and more housewives choosing to stay back and take care of the home. Some work from the house though.

4. There Are Lots Of Gold Diggers; This is for the "Nigerian girls and money" criers. American and Russian babes no dey carry last in the area of god digging. Marrying an American woman is like getting ready to loose more than half your wealth because in case of a divorce, the courts will give her most of your wealth which you will have to work hard to replenish. Sometimes it"s worse if she already has her own money, she will make sure she gets a good lawyer to squeeze you dry. But American billionaires have ways of making new money so they are coping. Lol. Do you know there are many, many young even middle aged attractive women with the sole aim of marrying wealthy men?

5. Straight Guys Hate Gay Guys; With a passion! Go to American sites and blogs and see anonymous comments from straight guys about gay men. You will coil! Words like "gay asss" or "gay" are used to ridicule them codedly. Gays can NEVER have equal rights in America. Politicians just use them to score points. They all know that homosexuals cannot actually live like and get all the benefits of straight people in all American states.

6. An American Guy Will Choose A Virgin Over A LovePeddler As Wife; Unless, of course love comes in, contrary to what people think that American men don't care about morality in their women, they will pick an inexperienced girl over a LovePeddler any time any day. Not like they are looking for virgins, but they need and crave decent women. If you don't believe me, watch BAGGAGE on Dstv 127 almost every evening. Also visit American blogs and forums. Yes the Average American guy can't resist some one night stands here and there but he can't marry her. Yes they can have baby mamas and even live with them, but they don't marry them.

7. There Are Actually More Percentage of Virgins In America Than In Most Countries In Africa; Some of them are the miss-goody-two-shoes, no makeup, no fancy dresses types while some are the party girl types. They chose to remain virgins not for religious reasons or because they are good girls but because they chose to preserve it for that special man, or to auction it off! Lol! Is it not oyibos that auction that virginity? Some as old as 26 years old!

8. American Guys Go To Meet Their Girlfriend's Families Long Before Nigerian Guys Are Ready For Such; They are also old-fashioned when it comes to serious relationships. Opening car doors, taking you out on several dates, and even meeting your folks before taking you to his house or asking you to come to his. Unlike our Nigerian niggas who get your number today and the next thing they are asking when you will come to see them!

9. Most American Grandmas Are Just As Prim And Proper As Ours; They take care of grandkids and give all the advice and lectures and are just as protective and desirous of grandkids as our own grandmothers.

If you doubt any of these, do some research.

/

I am InvertedHammer...

And I approve this message.

\

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 2:35am On Sep 16, 2014

3 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by 2legit2qwt: 2:42am On Sep 16, 2014
I guess personal opinions now make front page on NL? Do you know every American guy? Have you checked every American girl or at least a sample to know the number of virgins? Any specific research done? This site is now a POS angry

3 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 3:28am On Sep 16, 2014
#dead

I LOL'd reading this. My guess is you live in the deep deep South, because despite living in a small town/conservative state, I'm not connecting with most of this.

5 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 6:01am On Sep 16, 2014
1. True: Its no news, cos such applies everywhere.

2. True: Americans do take their culture seriously....Thanksgiving and Halloween.

3. No longer true: That was before the economy meltdown..The increase of working women is now at an all time high, compared to a decade ago when accomplishing the America dream was easily attainable.

4.VERY TRUE.

5. Very True.....Most find them annoying.

6. I can't help but to roll my eyes over this.....You are dead wrong....You ought to know that THOTING is the new black in America.

7.Not True: Although, Carlifornia might be about the same size as the whole of Nigeria ( if not bigger), but REALLY?

8.Very True: Most couples introduce each spouses to their parents, cos the pressure of whether or not they might get accepted or rejected by the parents, isn't an issue...They get married or stay with each other with or without their parents approval.

9. This would have been true, if we were taking about the 60's. The grand ma's of today are mostly 40 plus year olds, who act no different than their teenage daughters who party 24/7; living their a toddlers at home, for whoever to take care of.

Mind you, I never included foreigners or immigrants.. This refers to just solely Americans.. I also do apologize, if I offended anyone.

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by ojeffo: 6:03am On Sep 16, 2014
8. American Guys Go To Meet Their Girlfriend's Families Long Before Nigerian Guys Are Ready For Such; They are also old-fashioned when it comes to serious relationships. Opening car doors, taking you out on several dates, and even meeting your folks before taking you to his house or asking you to come to his. Unlike our Nigerian niggas who get your number today and the next thing they are asking when you will come to see them!
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by dazzlingbeau(f): 6:43am On Sep 16, 2014
Please disregard this write-up,it is grossly misleading and untrue. Your personal opinion is your right,i understand, but please dont try to pass off your unintelligible babblings as being right.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by LajaLaba: 6:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Buoyantic: e pepper you?
Two of u are donkeys undecided
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by texanomaly(f): 8:20am On Sep 16, 2014
CFCfan:
Me too. I think Mrs Clinton will be sworn in as the first female US President in January 2017.

God forbid!
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by texanomaly(f): 8:23am On Sep 16, 2014
CFCfan:
Me too. I think Mrs Clinton will be sworn in as the first female US President in January 2017.

God forbid! angry
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by hotwax: 8:30am On Sep 16, 2014
3. There Are Probably More Percentage Of Housewives In The US Than In Nigeria (minus rural settings); Go to high brow areas like Bel-air where there are wives of successful lawyers and and surgeons doing nothing all than taking care the kids and going shopping. Not just high brow but almost all classes of people. There are more and more housewives choosing to stay back and take care of the home. Some work from the house though.

A big blow on our Niaja single ladies. We are civilized, thats why we want to be single mothers. Are you more civilized than Americans?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by gorgeousnogo(f): 8:50am On Sep 16, 2014
I prefer Uk to America
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 9:05am On Sep 16, 2014
@MissMeiya. Hey! Slow down.

You just breeze into a thread just because you see "America" and start jumping to all kinds of conclusions. Where did you see me say that I have issues with America? The way you are going all defensive I no just understand o! I just stated some things about America that may surprise some people who think America is like a free country where nobody is answerable to anybody. Stuff like that, and you are going all ballistic? Wetin happen?
MissMeiya:
Oh. Well, America is not perfect, of course, but it gets annoying. Can't Nigerians hate on some other country that doesn't host and birth millions of their countrymen?

Just imagine! Are you sure all is well? Where did I hate America in my write-up?

cococandy:
cheesy just helps us feel like we are not the worst hit.
Since they all happen in America,then it's all good.
A way of saying american isn't so much better than Nigeria so we still have hope.
You get? grin

How did you come to this conclusion?

I just wonder where some people leave their analytical skills. Do I need to start breaking things down into "A for apple" for people to be able to appreciate and and analyze a message? I just woender.........

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by cococandy(f): 9:16am On Sep 16, 2014
Sweetlemon:
How did you come to this conclusions? I just wonder where some people leave their analytical skills. Do I need to start breaking things down into "A for apple" for people to be able to appreciate and and analyze a message? I just woender.........

Madam analytical,that my post was in response to missmeiya's question "why the obsession with america lately"
It didn't necessarily have anything to do with your thread.
Just a general observation of what's happening on NL these days. With everyone looking for what to accuse America of including but not restricted to bio terrorism on nigeria(ebola things)#just an example.

That said,you should live in America FIRST for a considerable amount of time before you get a hang of the way of life there.

You're in no position to educate anyone about America.

I guess I'll soon do a piece on Saudi Arabia or Peru

3 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 9:25am On Sep 16, 2014
freecocoa: cheesy grin

Sweetlemon sweetmelon, creating controversial threads since time imo river.

You never go America yet you wan educate people on how America is, Omo take am easy o.

Anacksunamun: It's more amazing because it's coming from someone who hasn't been to USA before. How mind-boggling can it get?

Can you tell us why you are so sure I have never been to the US? Talk about ignorant jumping to conclusions! I tried searching for why some people are so quick to conclude that I have never bn there and I felt maybe because I kept referring to American forum, blogs etc.
Ok. So what should I have used to buttress my points? Should I have told people to go see for themselves? Is that possible? Is it everybody here that can just wake up and book a flight to America? Most of you need to learn how to be realistic. Even those of you that live there, when you start your own threads or make posts about the west don't you back hem up with links from western sites? So what's your beef with me referring to blogs and forums?

Come to think of it you do not even need to live somewhere before knowing something about that place. You can learn about it and study the place. Do you you know some foreigners know more about Nigeria than many of us? FYI, reality TV, (not movies o) give a lot of insight about what the outside world is like.

Most of the people claiming authority on American/western issues because they live there are the ones who go there and start developing fake accent just to show that they are now in obodo oyibo. They are the ones who look down on Nigerians back home. Both my parents are naturalized Americans and so even if I don't live there I have some privileges such as it will not be too difficult for me to relocate there. I just didn't see any point stating all these things in my write-up because you can learn about anywhere by studying through relevant mediums.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 9:35am On Sep 16, 2014
50calibre:

Looool now you're getting too vague, I could probably still take you up on that, but I will accept it as defence.

Can you see how easy it is for someone to dismantle false information? They say lies have short legs, they can't travel far grin this is what happens when you bring worthless talk that should be restricted to the salons & kitchens to a public platform like this, where broadly informed people are known to visit.

Lool next time, try to stick to facts.

What is this one feeling like? Does Seun pay me to sleep on NL? Pesin no fit sleep again ba?

You that is talking where is your own link to prove the statistics you stated here?

Most people posting links here are posting old statistics from individual states and not the whole of America.

I will be back later with some links. I have work to do now.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 9:38am On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy:

Madam analytical,that my post was in response to missmeiya's question "why the obsession with america lately"
It didn't necessarily have anything to do with your thread.
Just a general observation of what's happening on NL these days. With everyone looking for what to accuse America of including but not restricted to bio terrorism on nigeria(ebola things)#just an example.

That said,you should live in America FIRST for a considerable amount of time before you get a hang of the way of life there.

You're in no position to educate anyone about America.

I guess I'll soon do a piece on Saudi Arabia or Peru

And what makes you think I haven't? Then again, like I have said, some foreigners know more about your own country than you do. It's all about studying.

You guys should learn how not to jump to conclusions too easily.
Trust me, it does you no good.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by dokunbam(m): 9:38am On Sep 16, 2014
there no heaven on earth
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 9:42am On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya: The OP is not even American. This is such bull and pointless, too. What is with the obsession with America?

This has to be the funniest quote! And you are American just because you live there? I'm sure you don't even have a green card and I can virtually hear your fake accent now. hahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by cococandy(f): 9:58am On Sep 16, 2014
I know you haven't.
Unless you just traveled.
There's something called post history you know?
Check your past posts again.

Some foreigners know about Nigerian more than we do?. Yea right. The same way I know more about egypt more than the egyptians.
Sweetlemon:

And what makes you think I haven't? Then again, like I have said, some foreigners know more about your own country than you do. It's all about studying.

You guys should learn how not to jump to conclusions too easily.
Trust me, it does you no good.

2 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 10:15am On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy: I know you haven't.
Unless you just traveled.
There's something called post history you know?
Check your past posts again.

Some foreigners know about Nigerian more than we do?. Yea right. The same way I know more about egypt more than the egyptians.

Give it up already will you?!

Just because I am not afraid of saying I was born an aje pako, just because I don't go on about my visits and time I spent there after life got better for my family (that's some 15 years back) doesn't mean I don't go there. I don't say what's not necessary ok?
smh
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by cococandy(f): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2014
Ok. I've given it up cheesy grin

Na you still use your two hands type how you regret not traveling with your family when they did and how you're. Working on getting a visa.
Now story don change.

Anyway I don't know you. You know yourself.
So I guess I'm wrong.

But visiting america for holidays doesn't give you first hand knowledge of the virginity status of all amercan women.
madam amelika
Sweetlemon:

Give it up already will you?!

smh

2 Likes

Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 10:20am On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy: Ok. I've given it up cheesy grin

madam amelika

Just because I am not afraid of saying I was born an aje pako, just because I don't go on about my visits and time I spent there after life got better for my family (that's some 15 years back) doesn't mean I don't go there. I don't say what's not necessary ok?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by cococandy(f): 10:27am On Sep 16, 2014
Ok
Sweetlemon:

Anyway enjoy your day.
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Sweetlemon(f): 10:32am On Sep 16, 2014
cococandy: Ok. I've given it up cheesy grin

Na you still use your two hands type how you regret not traveling with your family when they did and how you're. Working on getting a visa.
Now story don change.

Anyway I don't know you. You know yourself.
So I guess I'm wrong.

But visiting america for holidays doesn't give you first hand knowledge of the virginity status of all amercan women.
madam amelika

You see ya life? I meant not relocating. That I haven't yet relocated doesn't mean I don't go there often.

My sis is married and lives here cos her hubby is based here but she goes there like 4 times a year cos she has more money to spend. So calculating all the time she has spent there will run into years that's enough for her, and even me to say that I live there. But I don't think that's necessary. I see so many people talking about their time there like they are bragging about it. Yet many don't even have green cards neither do they have American parents or something more solid.

It's not just necessary ok?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by cococandy(f): 10:40am On Sep 16, 2014
Ok cheesy

Sweetlemon:

You see ya life? I meant not relocating. That I haven't yet relocated doesn't mean I don't go there often.

My sis is married and lives here cos her hubby is based here but she goes there like 4 times a year cos she has more money to spend. So calculating all the time she has spend there will run into years that's enough for her, and even me to say that I live there. But I don't think that's necessary. I see so many people talking about their time there like they are bragging about it. Yet many don't even have green passports neither do they have American parents or something more solid.

It's not just necessary ok?
Re: What You May Not Know About Americans by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 16, 2014
Sweetlemon:

This has to be the funniest quote! And you are American just because you live there? I'm sure you don't even have a green card and I can virtually hear your fake accent now. hahahahahahaha

*blink*

I'm not sure how to respond to this. Do Nigerians seriously not know they have countrymen in America who were born here? Why am I always having this conversation on here?

EnlightenedSoul how do I avoid this? ^

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Some Yoruba Words I Wish To Know In English / 7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / Oba Rasheed Akanbi Dressed As Arabian King (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.