Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,806 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (101434 Views)

Efik/ibibio Names And Their Meaning / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 12:08am On Mar 05, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Ignore that Person undecided the person is absolutely ignorant and doesn't even know what he/she is talking about angry There's nothing like Calabarian, seems the person is confusing Kalabari-Ijaw with Calabar. That person doesn't even know that Calabar is a city in another state, also Efik is not even spoken in the same state where Ibibio is spoken. That person would not recognize 1 word out of all those languages, not to talk about knowing the differences. I don't know why Ignorant people choose to give their ignorant opinion as advice angry To learn more about the differences in not only languages but the cultures and traditional diffrerences of Major groups in Akwa Ibom and Cross River state. READ DETAILS HERE: https://www.nairaland.com/609355/whats-major-differance-between-igbo

Kakakpo is not Ibibio might have been a nickname that the Aro-Igbo fighters gave to the half Ibibio prince, maybe mispronoucing Akpo=corpse(similar to Ekpo=ghost/masquerade.) Could've been hailig him as too powerful to be a human being undecided
Awa=to sacrifice, it is also the name of a big village/clan I believe Ini Edo and the current govenor of Akwa Ibom are from there.
Inokon is a last name might have been an abreviation of Ino okoneyo= thief of the night.

Thank you for the information. I will definitely review the topic and continue to do more research. I noticed that some Ibibio names have Kak like Akak, Etokakpan, Nsikak, etc. Does Kak have to do with being powerful/higher/above then?
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 3:24am On Mar 05, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Thank you for the information. I will definitely review the topic and continue to do more research. I noticed that some Ibibio names have Kak like Akak, Etokakpan, Nsikak, etc. Does Kak have to do with being powerful/higher/above then?
No There is no Ibibio name that begins with Kak, but Kak is actually in the middle and it's Ironically the opposite of powerful grin Kak=Akak which means tired, like ankak=am tired. Therefore Nsikak is the abreviation of the name Nsikakabasi=what is tiredsome to God? Meaning nothing is tiredsome to God. Etokakpan= Etok(small) Akpan(1st son). I told you Kakpokpo might have been Akpo Akpo(corpse corspe) mispronouced.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 4:06am On Mar 05, 2020
ibibiogrl:

No There is no Ibibio name that begins with Kak, but Kak is actually in the middle and it's Ironically the opposite of powerful grin Kak=Akak which means tired, like ankak=am tired. Therefore Nsikak is the abreviation of the name Nsikakabasi=what is tiredsome to God? Meaning nothing is tiredsome to God. Etokakpan= Etok(small) Akpan(1st son). I told you Kakpokpo might have been Akpo Akpo(corpse corspe) mispronouced.

Akpo Akpo. Okay I can definitely see that. I’m a direct descendant of the original Ibibio/Efik of Arochukwu and I have been learning more about the various ethnic groups of present day Akwa Ibom and Cross River States over the years. I appreciate your contributions to Nairaland. I am learning a lot.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 5:56am On Mar 05, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Akpo Akpo. Okay I can definitely see that. I’m a direct descendant of the original Ibibio/Efik of Arochukwu and I have been learning more about the various ethnic groups of present day Akwa Ibom and Cross River States over the years. I appreciate your contributions to Nairaland. I am learning a lot.
wink Glad to teach and appreciate your willingness to learn, and not just state ignorance fact as the truth like some here.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 11:41pm On Mar 05, 2020
ibibiogrl:

wink Glad to teach and appreciate your willingness to learn, and not just state ignorance fact as the truth like some here.
lol all is well. Perhaps both parties can come to a peaceful resolution and agree to disagree.

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 2:47am On Mar 09, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Mister what r you learning?
You are learning history from someone that has never in her miserable life lived or set foot on Ibibio soil
If I stand on obot ITU, Arrochukwu is very visible from there or you come down to Itu via the creek
We hope the bridge Senator Ita Enang is building will be completed ASAP which will make accessing ITU and Akwa Ibom much easily
Read, peruse and decipher chaff from wheat gather knowledge but NEVER you rely on anybody that is teaching ur history that has no real history but relying on internet to teach you ABSOLUTE RUBBISH...
All d best
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 3:03am On Mar 09, 2020
Maabasi! this illiterate girl has really been polluting the internet with her garbage knowledge of Ibibio....yeye de truly smell
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 7:45am On Mar 09, 2020
nsiba:

Mister what r you learning?
You are learning history from someone that has never in her miserable life lived or set foot on Ibibio soil
If I stand on obot ITU, Arrochukwu is very visible from there or you come down to Itu via the creek
We hope the bridge Senator Ita Enang is building will be completed ASAP which will make accessing ITU and Akwa Ibom much easily
Read, peruse and decipher chaff from wheat gather knowledge but NEVER you rely on anybody that is teaching ur history that has no real history but relying on internet to teach you ABSOLUTE RUBBISH...
All d best

Life Is Good. I recommend that we all relax, engage in constructive conversations, share information, and refrain from insulting each other.

Do you disagree with Ibibiogrl’s response about the meaning of Kakakpo, Awa, and Inokon? If so, what is the meaning of these names from your understanding?

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 11:11am On Mar 09, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Life Is Good. I recommend that we all relax, engage in constructive conversations, share information, and refrain from insulting each other.

Do you disagree with Ibibiogrl’s response about the meaning of Kakakpo, Awa, and Inokon? If so, what is the meaning of these names from your understanding?

I don't think that Retard undesrtands or speak the language, including any other language in Cross River or Akwa Ibom state but lets see what he/she will reply undecided
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 10:43pm On Mar 09, 2020
ibibiogrl:

I don't think that Retard undesrtands or speak the language, including any other language in Cross River or Akwa Ibom state but lets see what he/she will reply undecided

lol maybe there are different meanings in other dialects. We will see. I know the information you provided is accurate based on some research I have done over the years though. I read about the meaning of Inokon before. I knew Okon is associated with night. Kakakpo/Kakpokpo (I have seen the name spelled as Akakpokpo too) being a mispronunciation or nickname of Akpo Akpo makes sense and maybe another possible meaning is Akak (Tired/Fed up/Exhausted) Akpo (Corpse/Deceased/Spirit).
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 10:46pm On Mar 09, 2020
Is the meaning of the name Loesin related to the name Essien (The Child Who Takes Charge Of Outside Matters)?
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 5:37am On Mar 10, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

lol maybe there are different meanings in other dialects. We will see. I know the information you provided is accurate based on some research I have done over the years though. I read about the meaning of Inokon before. I knew Okon is associated with night. Kakakpo/Kakpokpo (I have seen the name spelled as Akakpokpo too) being a mispronunciation or nickname of Akpo Akpo makes sense and maybe another possible meaning is Akak (Tired/Fed up/Exhausted) Akpo (Corpse/Deceased/Spirit).
Alright I see your points, but my interpretations are accurate in any Ibibio dialect, there are no other possible interpretation in Ibibio.
AtaniWarrior:
Is the meaning of the name Loesin related to the name Essien (The Child Who Takes Charge Of Outside Matters)?
I have never heard of Loesin , I have heard and know that Esin is an Oron name, but I don't know the meaning.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 11:16am On Mar 10, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Life is very good my brother especially when an illiterate and maniac girl or woman (who knows if she isn't a Granny) has been lying and talking like a Parrott knows she knows natin, absolute natin...
The fo-olish mad woman is correct to some extent but I know once that bridge is done you and your lovely people won't be needing the likes of this maniac, kids in Itu will gladly put you in the right path while d adults would simply love to be of any help
Awa is a deity in my clan people don't use the name, so interpreting names don't necessarily mean translating it to English literally.
Kindly do me a favor, if you come across that useless mad woman tell her whenever she is town from one those her useless endless 'waka waka' from one place to another.
She shud come down to the Uyo Paramount ruler palace, I need to SLA-P the taste out of her useless mouth....nonsense she-goat mentioning my name upandan!
Have a good week my good friend
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 11:38pm On Mar 10, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Alright I see your points, but my interpretations are accurate in any Ibibio dialect, there are no other possible interpretation in Ibibio.

I have never heard of Loesin , I have heard and know that Esin is an Oron name, but I don't know the meaning.

lol honestly the meaning of Loesin is probably unknown at this point. Loesin was a chief priest of Ibritam (renamed Ibini Ukpabi) sometime in the 17th century.

nsiba:

Life is very good my brother especially when an illiterate and maniac girl or woman (who knows if she isn't a Granny) has been lying and talking like a Parrott knows she knows natin, absolute natin...
The fo-olish mad woman is correct to some extent but I know once that bridge is done you and your lovely people won't be needing the likes of this maniac, kids in Itu will gladly put you in the right path while d adults would simply love to be of any help
Awa is a deity in my clan people don't use the name, so interpreting names don't necessarily mean translating it to English literally.
Kindly do me a favor, if you come across that useless mad woman tell her whenever she is town from one those her useless endless 'waka waka' from one place to another.
She shud come down to the Uyo Paramount ruler palace, I need to SLA-P the taste out of her useless mouth....nonsense she-goat mentioning my name upandan!
Have a good week my good friend

Thank you for sharing my kin. Very interesting. Do you have more information on the Awa deity? Have a great week as well.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 5:00am On Mar 11, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

lol honestly the meaning of Loesin is probably unknown at this point. Loesin was a chief priest of Ibritam (renamed Ibini Ukpabi) sometime in the 17th century.
Maybe it's not Ibibio, how about checking the interpretation in other neighboring languages, like Ekoi Ejagham, Oron etc...

1 Like

Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 2:42pm On Mar 11, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

Thank you for sharing my kin. Very interesting. Do you have more information on the Awa deity? Have a great week as well.
I will help u with some but all clan in do have theirs (deity) that they pay homage aside the supreme being of the sky
There are informations that are oral, some ambiguous, questionable or fictitious but sound and learned minds should be able to discern such but still use em as guide

When you hear people tracing their ancestry to Ethiopia, Egypt, Israel or Ghana bro this is 2020 simple DNA components make up of us and modern anthropology studies can put all those to garbage for eternity
See u around soon and let this be Clear here in Africa, in Nigeria and in our villages there is a limit a woman can have information no matter what....there are certain things they can NEVER know
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by AtaniWarrior: 10:58pm On Mar 11, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Maybe it's not Ibibio, how about checking the interpretation in other neighboring languages, like Ekoi Ejagham, Oron etc...

True. That is a good idea.

nsiba:
I will help u with some but all clan in do have theirs (deity) that they pay homage aside the supreme being of the sky
There are informations that are oral, some ambiguous, questionable or fictitious but sound and learned minds should be able to discern such but still use em as guide

When you hear people tracing their ancestry to Ethiopia, Egypt, Israel or Ghana bro this is 2020 simple DNA components make up of us and modern anthropology studies can put all those to garbage for eternity
See u around soon and let this be Clear here in Africa, in Nigeria and in our villages there is a limit a woman can have information no matter what....there are certain things they can NEVER know

I will definitely do more research.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 1:02am On Mar 13, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

I will definitely do more research.
The retard nsiba didn't give you all the information. Full name of that deity is AwaItam It's one of the notorious deity in ibibioland, almost like Ibritam in the past. Itam is the biggest or 1 of the biggest clans in Itu LGA. If you take my interpretation Awa=to sacrifice & Itam(clan) it's still relates. Many people know about the deity AwaItam, so you should be able to find out more information.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 4:33am On Mar 13, 2020
ibibiogrl:

The retard nsiba didn't give you all the information. Full name of that deity is AwaItam It's one of the notorious deity in ibibioland, almost like Ibritam in the past. Itam is the biggest or 1 of the biggest clans in Itu LGA. If you take my interpretation Awa=to sacrifice & Itam(clan) it's still relates. Many people know about the deity AwaItam, so you should be able to find out more information.

WITCH don't you dare mention my name ever again
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 10:13am On Mar 13, 2020
nsiba:
WITCH don't you dare mention my name ever again
Retard Occultic WIZARD! Don't quote me or my post; or refer to any of my post directly or indirectly again & you won't be mention angry
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 12:03pm On Mar 13, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Retard Occultic WIZARD! Don't quote me or my post; or refer to any of my post directly or indirectly again & you won't be mention angry

The evil spirits that have taken possession over you I know are in millions, just let me dare lay my hands on you u will regret the day you mother gave birth to you. IFOT
Shey u want to know occultic man abi? Jus come town first
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by DateMynd44(m): 1:06pm On Mar 13, 2020
ibibiogrl:

I've been observing all ur posts on this forum and ur desperate attempt to bring DisUnity between the Efiks, Ibibios and annangs.
It's too sad u can only deceive others who are not from the state but I'd like to know what u stand to gain by ur lies.
I don't know why Nsiba and blackking98 should be taking you serious seeing that u shot yourself in the foot when claimed you ain't even in the country nor where u bred from here and only the few months u stayed in Abak made u come up with this whack idea and stupid thread u created.
Sorry Efiks, Ibibos, Annangs are all one and there is no matter of propaganda u can come up with that will separate them.
For your information I be Eyen Amana Isong Ibibio from Itiam Etoi in Uyo local government Area.
So change your moniker cos you're not Ibibio rather you're just a clown that has lost her cultural identity in a foreign land (that's if the claims of u staying abroad is even true)
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by darfay: 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2020
SlyIg:

Yea ...
Obong and Abasi means God in Efik.
"Funjosh Obong" can be a nice combination. How about that? Lol.

Are there other groups in cross river that is linguistically related to the efik- annang- ibibio. o have friend from cross river whose native sounds efik but she isn't
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by Blackking98(m): 4:14pm On Mar 13, 2020
darfay:

Are there other groups in cross river that is linguistically related to the efik- annang- ibibio. o have friend from cross river whose native sounds efik but she isn't
she might be ejagham, some central and northern CRS group's have borrowed some names from us too although we share nothing with them
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by Blackking98(m): 4:18pm On Mar 13, 2020
DateMynd44:
I've been observing all ur posts on this forum and ur desperate attempt to bring DisUnity between the Efiks, Ibibios and annangs.
It's too sad u can only deceive others who are not from the state but I'd like to know what u stand to gain by ur lies.
I don't know why Nsiba and blackking98 should be taking you serious seeing that u shot yourself in the foot when claimed you ain't even in the country nor where u bred from here and only the few months u stayed in Abak made u come up with this whack idea and stupid thread u created.
Sorry Efiks, Ibibos, Annangs are all one and there is no matter of propaganda u can come up with that will separate them.
For your information I be Eyen Amana Isong Ibibio from Itiam Etoi in Uyo local government Area.
So change your moniker cos you're not Ibibio rather you're just a clown that has lost her cultural identity in a foreign land (that's if the claims of u staying abroad is even true)
brotherly that ibibiogrl is seriously high on something, see the energy she puts into subdividing us you'll be wondering if she doesn't have work , she'll be using Wikipedia and her audio stay in calabar and abak to argue with us who are on ground living in this territories and seeing what is happening, she's not normal honestly,needs mental evaluation.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by ibibiogrl: 4:26pm On Mar 13, 2020
DateMynd44:
Really are you sure U Read my posts truly Or do you need glasses shocked Because I've never created any threads on nairaland, also never said I lived a few months in Abak undecided If you're truly from Etoi, then am sure U barely understand Annang. So how could I possibly learn typical annang dialect fluently within a few months How did I also learn Efik fluently? If I've lost my cultural identity how am I then able to speak my own language and other neighboring languages, including others histories in detail as well undecided
As for your other comment, guess U didn't notice other peoples comments before I posted on that thread;https://www.nairaland.com/5717435/cross-river-assembly-rejects-ikpeme/1
Alright I will help you with a few quotes from the 1st page:-

There is nothing like Akwacross. Akwa ibom left y'all behind a long time ago. You cross riverians better move on

Stop this unity begging.. Akwa ibom left cross river for a reason... IF you feel akwa ibomites are too many in your state then send them away... Akwa ibom is doing better and will continue to do better. Some years ago you all were saying that akwa ibom can't have an airport, now there's an international airport... Now you're saying that akwa ibom wont ve a seaport in the ext 30 years.... Watch out! IBaka deep sea port is coming
Lol who do you see posting akwa cross. There's a reason the state split.
The clown will continue his unity begging.
Go and sit down Ibibio people hate Efik even more, don't be a hypocrite or be spreading lies.
The so-called AkwaCross unity is one of the biggest hypocritical nonsense in existence. They won't even fish in the same river, full of hates and infights.
What about this hostile replies to me angry
AKPAB99:
A lways posting the same trash.no go look for husband o . what are you always feeling like? Stop mentioning annang in your stupid rants . Annang has nothing to do with ibibio. keep anang off your lips . Ekpo akpara ino ! Akpara ibibio!Don't mention annang at all .Keep annang off your lips .Akpara ibibio! Go marry
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by Blackking98(m): 5:20pm On Mar 13, 2020
ibibiogrl:

Really are you sure U Read my posts truly Or do you need glasses shocked Because I've never created any threads on nairaland, also never said I lived a few months in Abak undecided If you're truly from Etoi, then am sure U barely undersatnd Annang. So how could I possibly learn typical annang dialect fluently within a few month How did I also learn Efik fluently? If I've lost my cultural identity how am I then able to speak my own language and other neighboring language, including others histories in detail as well undecided
As for your other comment, guess U didn't notice other peoples comments before I posted on that thread;https://www.nairaland.com/5717435/cross-river-assembly-rejects-ikpeme/1
Alright I will help you with a few quotes from the 1st page:-

What about this hostile replies to me angry
Nairaland has many Akwa ibomites and on it, just because 3 or 4 people say we have nothing to do with each other you feel that's what the majority think? You should learn to ignore those division mongers as they're in the minority, the majority of us are advocate of unity. The second person who says Annang has nothing to do with us, what language did he insult u in, isn't it ibibio, you'd know that he is just massaging his ego and nothing else. A United Akwa Ibom and Efik will be a more fruitful endeavor than being disunited
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 5:26pm On Mar 13, 2020
DateMynd44:

Da you know their type, the kind that will leave their mother at home. This minute they at mbiabong junction, next Aka road after a while you see them at Itam
They don't go to villages but gossip about town and party like homeless children. Now they want to teach culture on behalf of us by showing wedding ceremonies and interpreting Ibibio names not minding the facts names can be influence by situations at birth, ceremonies and other circumstances
Anyway she started d insult with me despite I being cool but Da the girl is good for nothing and I will let her know that
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 5:33pm On Mar 13, 2020
Blackking98:

Nairaland has many Akwa ibomites and on it, just because 3 or 4 people say we have nothing to do with each other you feel that's what the majority think? You should learn to ignore those division mongers as they're in the minority, the majority of us are advocate of unity. The second person who says Annang has nothing to do with us, what language did he insult u in, isn't it ibibio, you'd know that he is just massaging his ego and nothing else. A United Akwa Ibom and Efik will be a more fruitful endeavor than being disunited

When someone is called foolish and stupid by 3 persons that person must be foolish
This girl is beyond useless...ibibiogrl
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2020
AtaniWarrior:

I will definite lay do more research.

This is one is another well researched material not one from a party, naming,wedding and BURIAL ceremony freak

http://bestupdateblog..com/2017/08/classification-of-ibibio-names.html?m=1
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by Blackking98(m): 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2020
nsiba:

When someone is called foolish and stupid by 3 persons that person must be foolish
This girl is beyond useless...ibibiogrl
she needs re education at this point.
Re: Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio by nsiba: 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo’s 18 Wives Now Available For Suitors - Oyo Chief / Photos From Wema Bank Old School Day Celebration / The Nuba Peoples Of North Sudan (warning: Tribal Nudity)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.