Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number (21280 Views)

Thomas Jones: Who Is The First Nigerian To Drive A Car? (PHOTO) / Peugeot E-legend That Drives Itself: Car Without Driver Got Nigerians Talking / BMW Introduces Wireless Charging To Charge Your Car Without Cables (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by zheroes(m): 10:44am On Feb 04, 2017
Please I need very informed ideas on this

A friend was driving one of the cars he imported to the parking lot when he was apprehended by some police men at a checking point, and they asked why isn't the car registered so he said its for sale. Then they asked for his dealer plate number and he said its in process which is true. The next thing they said was that they will take the car to the station. An arguement ensued. I will leave the story here.

At what point does it become unlawful to drive a car unregistered?
Must someone have a dealer plate number before he can sell a car?
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Whizpeter(m): 1:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
I also need to know...

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Emman8(m): 2:47pm On Feb 04, 2017
I was detained for 8hrs for that ish and extorted
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by xristos(m): 9:12pm On Feb 05, 2017
Nigeria and lawlessness. ptcheeew!
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by awoo47: 7:01am On Feb 06, 2017
This is Nigeria sadly it becomes unlawful when d cops feel it is. U Just need to be on good terms grin grin. Hw fr with d protest sef angry

12 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by MosakuAW(m): 7:02am On Feb 06, 2017
3 to 6 months maximum from the day the car was purchased. This gives enough room for you to have processed all the necessary papers required.

For car dealers, 3 months from the day it was cleared from the sea port. If you have to drive it around town, you must get a dealer plate number as required by law if not, kindly "jejely"parked it in your sales car garage.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by obembet(f): 7:02am On Feb 06, 2017
Nigerian good people great nation
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by momentum85(m): 7:03am On Feb 06, 2017
My brother, anything goes in this part of the world. atimes i ask if we have done any wrong to stay in our father's land.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by danowena: 7:03am On Feb 06, 2017
This is a jamb question. Waiting for the lawyers and wannabe lawyers to rescue the op

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by durovic: 7:03am On Feb 06, 2017
Never thought about this

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by prince4pro(m): 7:04am On Feb 06, 2017
Naija
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by aieromon(m): 7:04am On Feb 06, 2017
You can drive an unregistered car for six months after clearing from the ports.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by successking401(m): 7:04am On Feb 06, 2017
K
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by blazer234: 7:05am On Feb 06, 2017
obembet:
Nigerian good people great nation

I begin to wonder how your comment relates to the post.

6 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Edunwa302(m): 7:05am On Feb 06, 2017
I think you have three months after clearing the car but your friend telling them that it is for sale automatically put you on their net because you are meant to have a dealers plate to drive the car from one point to another.
My option though

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by captainD567: 7:06am On Feb 06, 2017
nigerian police are lawless and unintelligent. they have many ways to find out if the car is truly his or not but they won't do it, rather they will intimidate him to bring money. a policeman told me my road worthiness is expired in jan and for that he will park the car. i simply told him oga u are a stupid man.

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by nabegibeg: 7:06am On Feb 06, 2017
Nigeria and lawlessness
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by uchman48(m): 7:08am On Feb 06, 2017
The police are right in their questioning, because such cars can be use to commit crime and can never be traced. But is just the way they go about it is very wrong and illegal, my aunty and i have been detained in a police station for two hours for the same reason, until we were able to bribe ourself out. I think all they want is to intimidate you so that you will bribe them.

1 Like

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by slurryeye: 7:08am On Feb 06, 2017
I don't know about Nigeria, but I know in Canada, you can't drive an unregistered car. Even if you are moving the car for the purpose of exporting it, you need a temporary license known as transit license. I'm sure the same goes for most organized society. But anything goes in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 06, 2017
Thats why u need to protest today..

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 06, 2017
section 43 of the Road Safety Act 2011

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:09am On Feb 06, 2017
grin well I wouldn't blame them in a way those demons in uniform only work with evidence... An explanation will only end in 'oga Roger me'
Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Nobody: 7:11am On Feb 06, 2017
MosakuAW:
3 to 6 months maximum from the day the car was purchased. This gives enough room for you to have processed all the necessary papers required.

For car dealers, 3 months from the day it was cleared from the sea port. If you have to drive it around town, you must get a dealer plate number as required by law if not, kindly "jejely"parked it in your sales car garage.
A whole three month. What if the car was used in commiting a crime within those 3month?

2 Likes

Re: When Does It Become Unlawful To Drive A Car Without A Registered Plate Number by Buraimohjoseph(m): 7:11am On Feb 06, 2017
It is not even within the jurisdiction of the Nigerian Police to demand for car documents

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Real Reasons Car Importation Through Land Border Was Banned / World’s First Child Car Seat With Built-in Airbags Goes On Sale Worldwide / 3 Reasons You Haven’t Been Seeing Tesla Cars On Nigerian Roads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.