Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name (4035 Views)

Official Photos From Desmond Elliot’s Inauguration Yesterday / Desmond Elliot Celebrates Election Victory / Desmond Elliot Undergoes Accreditation With Grandma (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by Ayekotoo(m): 7:32am On Sep 20, 2014
Until recently, a lot of Nigerians did not know the actor is a Yoruba man till his campaign posters surfaced online. In a chat with Saturday Beats, the actor said that he has never denied his ethnicity. He said that while growing up, the name everybody called him was Shola.
“Where I grew up in Surulere they know me by the name Shola and that is what they call me. I use Desmond Elliot which is my first and last name for my profession basically because I wanted to remain neutral, you could not tell where I come from. It is not because I am ashamed of where I come from. If I was, I would not be involved in Yoruba films or any Yoruba events neither will my kids have Yoruba names,” -- Olushola Desmond Elliot

http://www.punchng.com/news/from-the-tube-to-politics-desmond-elliot-9ice-ksb-speak-on-controversies/

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by Ayekotoo(m): 7:35am On Sep 20, 2014
For those who still doubt his roots, the dark skinned movie producer said that his father is from Lagos Island while his mother is from Delta State.
Elliot said, “In the interviews that I have done, I have never denied that I am Yoruba, I always mentioned my names. People have always guessed where I come from and I left it open because truthfully I am a Nigerian. I am a Yoruba man and I would never deny other tribes that I have come in contact with. I am Yoruba by birth, I schooled in the North, I married someone from the South and my mother is from Delta State.
“I am from Olowogbowo in Lagos Island; it is not something that is hidden. I tell people that say I don’t identify with the Yoruba race that I do so because I have done several Yoruba movies. At what point did the name become an issue, have I not been a worthy citizen of Lagos State?”

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by Ayekotoo(m): 7:38am On Sep 20, 2014
For popular Nollywood actor, Desmond Elliot, whose eye is set on the Lagos State House of Assembly, the bone of contention has been on the name ‘Olushola’ which he has adopted.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by YorubaBigot: 7:44am On Sep 20, 2014
Ayekotoo: For popular Nollywood actor, Desmond Elliot, whose eye is set on the Lagos State House of Assembly, the bone of contention has been on the name ‘Olushola’ which he has adopted.
stop clowning. Was the name given to him at birth or not?

2 Likes

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by ibedun: 8:12am On Sep 20, 2014
IGBO boy trying to form YORUBA,

He should be deported to ALAIGBO sharp sharp to go and contest there.

Ewu Olusola! Morraforker.

3 Likes

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by mdee1(m): 8:39am On Sep 20, 2014
aryzgreat:

Akpamu!
oloshi
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by ola6: 9:16am On Sep 20, 2014
You all, keep deceiving him. This has nothing to do with tribalism but the truth. He NEVER identified with Lagosians, how then can he aspire for a political position meant for the representative of a people. How can you represent me if I don't know you

The people shouting tribalism are the real tribalist.

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by bakynes(m): 9:16am On Sep 20, 2014
I believe he shot himself on the foot because he should have just stick with the name people know him for and left people surprised that he is a Yoruba man,but he knew he hasn't identified himself as a Yoruba man and some people might not believe him so he decided to use the name "Olusola" to make people see reasons to vote him not knowing it would backfire in his face.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by talktimi(m): 9:16am On Sep 20, 2014
double0seven:

You're wrong; his name is not the grouse. This guy has been in the lime light for like how many years now: at least , at least over ten years, and not once did he give any have hint or even the smallest clue, that he has Yoruba lienage.

That has to be a deliberate act by him. He definitely is not proud of his Yoruba Heritage. Almost everyone believes he is an Ibo guy. Those who think he's not Ibo will assume he is Niger Delta. This guy has been in interviews, he's been photographed with his beautiful family, and yet not once did anything came out even by mistake that he is a Yoruba man.

People will definitely have problem voting for him. There are Yourba Politicians with complete English names, but they've never being mistaken for anything other than a Yoruba man.
once again I ask, has anyone you included tried to ask him where he's from ? I hardly read interviews concerning our naija celebs but I know the pattern of questions will surely contain something like tell us about yourself, where are you from etc so I believe many or most people didn't really bother to find out much about him.
Nigerians just like to scandalize even the most trivial of things sha
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by bakynes(m): 9:24am On Sep 20, 2014
ola6: You all, keep deceiving him. This has nothing to do with tribalism but the truth. He NEVER identified with Lagosians, how then can he aspire for a political position meant for the representative of a people. How can you represent me if I don't know you

The people shouting tribalism are the real tribalist.
Am sure if people know he would have been used for these numerous LASG adverts. Ramsey Noah sometimes includes his middle name "Tokunbo" so we all know he is Yoruba but in dis Desmond Elliot's case nobody knew @ all. The guy who talked about Tony one week dats quite different, coz the name is a stage name.

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 9:41am On Sep 20, 2014
Ramnon2: Why are Yorubas so tribalistically petty? The point is, Olushola or not, is Desmond Eliot a Yoruba person? This is not difficult to figure out, no?

What makes him Yoruba? The fact this his father is Yoruba? Yes? No?
What makes him a non-Yoruba? The fact that his mother is not Yoruba, even if his father is? Or the fact that he has two English names?
No mind people jare. The guy has always said his father is Lagosian while his mother is Igbo. I have always known his middle name to be Sola after he mentioned it in an interview. He also has an Igbo middle name I can't recall. But I hope all the noise serves as a lesson to those who play name politics by dusting up obscure names for political ends.

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 9:46am On Sep 20, 2014
bakynes:
Am sure if people know he would have been used for these numerous LASG adverts. Ramsey Noah sometimes includes his middle name "Tokunbo" so we all know he is Yoruba but in dis Desmond Elliot's case nobody knew @ all. The guy who talked about Tony one week dats quite different, coz the name is a stage name.
Ramsey Noah was "outed" by Tade Ogidan in Dangerous Twins which was a popular product. Till then nobody knew. Elliot has never gone out of his way to hide his Yorubaness. See my post above. Even at that I'm sure Ondo people don't know he's from their state even though he has said so in interviews.

*Edited*
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:49am On Sep 20, 2014
This guy should go for presidency joor.... Imagine a hawt,swaggalicious president of Nigeria....Yoruba or no Yoruba.... Desmond for presidency...(after Goodluck 2015).
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 9:50am On Sep 20, 2014
talktimi: once again I ask, has anyone you included tried to ask him where he's from ? I hardly read interviews concerning our naija celebs but I know the pattern of questions will surely contain something like tell us about yourself, where are you from etc so I believe many or most people didn't really bother to find out much about him.
Nigerians just like to scandalize even the most trivial of things sha
He has been asked and he answered. He even revealed long ago his aspirations to be Lagos governor.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by OneNaira6: 9:52am On Sep 20, 2014
Yoruba are the biggest tribalist yet ironically, they accuse others of that title.

Is Desmond the only Nigerian star that excluded his native name?
Ramsey Noauh middle name is Yoruba yet how many knows this.
How many Genevieve Nnaji's Igbo name without googling it
How about Rita Dominic, mercy Johnson, etc etc.
Hell Tonto Dike is not that bleached girl's name. How many can accurately know her real name without googling.

Omitting their native name is very common among Nollywood celeb. No body cares except well Yoruba. Why don't you guys go and carve tiger claws mark all over his face since una think his not "Yoruba" enough. Mtchewweee

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by talktimi(m): 9:55am On Sep 20, 2014
JuanDeDios:
He has been asked and he answered. He even revealed long ago his aspirations to be Lagos governor.
thank you VERY much
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 9:57am On Sep 20, 2014
bakynes: I believe he shot himself on the foot because he should have just stick with the name people know him for and left people surprised that he is a Yoruba man,but he knew he hasn't identified himself as a Yoruba man and some people might not believe him so he decided to use the name "Olusola" to make people see reasons to vote him not knowing it would backfire in his face.
I agree with you to a large extent. People need to grow beyond this sort of politics - Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, Ike Omar Sanda Nwachukwu, etc. I once saw a colleague dusting up a muslim name because he was writing to Atiku Abubakar.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by bakynes(m): 10:01am On Sep 20, 2014
OneNaira6: Yoruba are the biggest tribalist yet ironically, they accuse others of that title.

Is Desmond the only Nigerian star that excluded his native name?
Ramsey Noauh middle name is Yoruba yet how many knows this.
How many Genevieve Nnaji's Igbo name without googling it
How about Rita Dominic, mercy Johnson, etc etc.
Hell Tonto Dike is not that bleached girl's name. How many can accurately know her real name without googling.

Omitting their native name is very common among Nollywood celeb. No body cares except well Yoruba. Why don't you guys go and carve tiger claws mark all over his face since una think his not "Yoruba" enough. Mtchewweee
Who ever gave u dat like is a big eediot, Dike is wat name? Nnaji is wat name?

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by talktimi(m): 10:02am On Sep 20, 2014
JuanDeDios:
I agree with you to a large extent. People need to grow beyond this sort of politics - Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan, Ike Omar Sanda Nwachukwu, etc. I once saw a colleague dusting up a muslim name because he was writing to Atiku Abubakar.
Gej's name is actually Ebele(mi) and Ike Nwachukwus name is actually Omar Sanda.
They're not nicknames at all though Azikiwe is a nickname
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 10:10am On Sep 20, 2014
talktimi: Gej's name is actually Ebele(mi) and Ike Nwachukwus name is actually Omar Sanda.
They're not nicknames at all though Azikiwe is a nickname
I know. Ebele is GEJ's father's first name and Nwachukwu's mother was Fulani. Sola too is DE's real name. What I'm saying is that if you out it for purely political reasons people are going to notice and it can backfire. I always knew he is Sola but unluckily for him most of the people that matter now don't.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by docsholz(m): 10:14am On Sep 20, 2014
bakynes: I believe he shot himself on the foot because he should have just stick with the name people know him for and left people surprised that he is a Yoruba man,but he knew he hasn't identified himself as a Yoruba man and some people might not believe him so he decided to use the name "Olusola" to make people see reasons to vote him not knowing it would backfire in his face.
exactly, he comes across like someone deceptive and willing to do anything to win, I'm not bothered though cos I doubt his chances of winning
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by maximunimpact(m): 10:15am On Sep 20, 2014
Wow....I tot desmond I'd.iot is a ghaninian
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by talktimi(m): 10:17am On Sep 20, 2014
JuanDeDios:
I know. Ebele is GEJ's father's first name and Nwachukwu's mother was Fulani. Sola too is DE's real name. What I'm saying is that if you out it for purely political reasons people are going to notice and it can backfire. I always knew he is Sola but unluckily for him most of the people that matter now don't.
you have a point sha though I don't see any reason why a sensible person would have issues with his name instead of his capability to deliver. It would be such a shame if a glorified thug is chosen over him just because of this issue
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by JuanDeDios: 10:29am On Sep 20, 2014
talktimi: you have a point sha though I don't see any reason why a sensible person would have issues with his name instead of his capability to deliver. It would be such a shame if a glorified thug is chosen over him just because of this issue
Exactly. In a serious society this would not be an issue but we are not a serious people. Both the people making noise over this and the politicians who try to manipulate situations reflect our unsriousness.

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by stevecantrell: 12:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
Desmond's dad is from downtown Lagos, his mum is from Anambra state but he never cared to identify with the Yoruba in his nollywood career until he went into politics.

That aint cool.

He's better of contesting in Anambra.
Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by Sloan: 1:12pm On Sep 20, 2014
stevecantrell: Desmond's dad is from downtown Lagos, his mum is from Anambra state but he never cared to identify with the Yoruba in his nollywood career until he went into politics.

That aint cool.

He's better of contesting in Anambra.

Then let him go to Anambra and contest! We Yorubas are proud of our heritage! No one is perfect and we don't claim to be, but we are way above par in history, accomplishment and potential. I use my English middle name over here but ALL my official documents start with my famous Yoruba name! Plus, I have a Yoruba last name that I abbreviate and I am proud and comfortable with it! Among my mostly white contemporaries and colleagues, no one can look down on my intelligence, brilliance and what I can create within unbelievably short period of times. If anyone hides his Yoruba name, he can remain Yoruba but cannot and should not represent the 50M + Yorubas who are eagerly Yorubas and will greet you first in Yoruba before reverting to some other language if you don't understand or speak Yoruba. I speak flawless English with no accent like a native speaker, yes with all the tongue twisting when I am talking to people who don't speak Yoruba (like my colleagues) but I speak Yoruba to my family and friends. My kids will speak flawless language of whatever place we live but first he must be speaking Yoruba from 1 month old!

1 Like

Re: Fans Mock Desmond Elliot Over Yoruba Name by talktimi(m): 1:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ok lets pretend Desmond isn't Yoruba, does the constitution allow him to contest for elective office in Lagos ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naija / Why Oil revenue in 2016 budget is just 820 billion naira? An Explanation!! / Was Mallam El-rufai Really Involved In A Car Crash.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.