Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls (30552 Views)

Nigerian Networks Introduce Shaving To Balance Cheaper Data Rates / Best Tarrif Plan To Make International Calls On Nigerian Networks. / Price War: Airtel Tariff Now 20k/second To All Networks And America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by ojaydedon(m): 1:06am On Sep 22, 2014
It's Free! Get the latest news on Ebola Virus, Politics etc directly from BBC. Simply sms NEWS to 38080 and get 2 days free news alert @ N50/5days. Hurry Now!

"Baby Safety: Car manufacturers recommend that a child must be in a car seat until they are 4 yrs old & weigh at least 40 pounds
Reply SEC for safety tips at N50/wkly" to 5040

Someone will win the 100M Naira Centenary Mega Jackpot to Celebrate Nigeria @ 100yrs old!
Text 100 to 35777 & our daily prizes continue.
It Could be YOU!

Looking for your dream job? Look no further. To get daily job alerts on your mobile, text YES to 5031.

Still haven't done so? Hurry & recharge with at least N100 now! Important! 7035964800, it's your lucky day for FREE 20% extra bonus to call MTN2MTN!

Get daily Bible Promises delivered to your phone. Text BPD to 700.Costs N10/daily

Have you been harassed or abused by your landlord, traffic officials or Nigerian Police?
Get daily legal tips with Mobile Lawyer. Text LAW to 33334 at N50/week...

Mitchewwwww.....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by ritababe(f): 2:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Sanchez01: I'm sure I am not the only one experiencing this terrible dilemma; however, mine is simply out of this world, or so I believe.

Nigerian telecommunication companies are by far the most insensitive, annoying and rules flouting individuals ever! My special cases with MTN and GLO is simply out of this world. My first experience started with Glo who automatically subscribed me to some annoying so-called love tips with the '4040'.
I called the Customer Care several times to complain, particularly when my airtime are deducted for some reasons. Despite my placed calls to the Customer Care, I thought my dilemma would come to end until I was told that they (Customer Care) don't have the 'power' to unsubscribe my number from the '4040' database. I calmly accepted my fate while #90 was deducted from my airtime monthly. After a year and half, I called the Customer Care and threatened to sue Glo for deducting my airtime with their devilish schemes, and all of a sudden, they miraculously found the answer to unsubscribe my number from the airtime sapping scheme.

A month after, MTN came with theirs, they would send 7 messages per day to my phone 'recommending' I subscribe to their amazing health and relationship tips, which I ignored. After several weeks of enduring their torture, I decided to call their Customer Care to make my plight known. I ended up talking to a slob of an agent who asked what if I wanted my number removed from their third parties' database, to which I said yes.

As of today, I get nothing less than fifteen messages daily on my MTN phone and five on my Glo phone coupled with dozens of calls from the Glo network. All efforts to put an end to this dilemma have proven abortive. I need advice from people; perhaps thy have agents on the forum that could help me through this.

if u are using android download sms blocker or 360 security and block the call and sms, but if u are not using android, TEST STOP TO THE NUMBER THAT SEND U D MESSAGE, it will stop but 3 to 4 days dey start again, i have send them many times so they dont disturb me again, for 2 weeks now am free from their trouble
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Contumely: 2:50am On Sep 22, 2014
cabal: I hope for you that someone here
who works for mtn or glo can be of
help. Glo once automatically
subscribed me too. 100 a month

I hope for you that someone here

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Contumely: 2:54am On Sep 22, 2014
how are u how are u how are u
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by chronique(m): 5:20am On Sep 22, 2014
I experience same with airtel and mtn(mtn especially). Every morning,they attack me with a barrage of sms back to back and as I delete one,another enters. It's so frustrating. As for airtel,I've placed all the nos I can place on screened nos,to the point that I no longer have space to put any other no on that list. Still yet,they call me with some other crazy nos. NCC needs to do something about this madness.
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by PURITYAUTOZ: 5:38am On Sep 22, 2014
Too bad.....
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by PURITYAUTOZ: 5:39am On Sep 22, 2014
Too bad.........
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Gloria3389(f): 5:42am On Sep 22, 2014
Jemimahsummers: MTN, running batteries down since 1709. Especially we wey dey use android. Dem go send msgs join all the background processes.
abi na... the thing dey vex me especially when I'm expecting bank alert...chai...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by BuhBye: 6:22am On Sep 22, 2014
junell:
My ring back tune is thw classic "ring ring"! Anyone that feels like listening to Dorobucci should go and buy the album biko!!!
LMAO wink
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by ISCSUS(f): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2014
[quote author=Sanchez01]I'm sure I am not the only one experiencing this terrible dilemma; however, mine is simply out of this world, or so I believe.

Nigerian telecommunication companies are by far the most insensitive, annoying and rules flouting individuals ever! My special cases with MTN and GLO is simply out of this world. My first experience started with Glo who automatically subscribed me to some annoying so-called love tips with the '4040'.
I called the Customer Care several times to complain, particularly when my airtime are deducted for some reasons. Despite my placed calls to the Customer Care, I thought my dilemma would come to end until I was told that they (Customer Care) don't have the 'power' to unsubscribe my number from the '4040' database. I calmly accepted my fate while #90 was deducted from my airtime monthly. After a year and half, I called the Customer Care and threatened to sue Glo for deducting my airtime with their devilish schemes, and all of a sudden, they miraculously found the answer to unsubscribe my number from the airtime sapping scheme.

A month after, MTN came with theirs, they would send 7 messages per day to my phone 'recommending' I subscribe to their amazing health and relationship tips, which I ignored. After several weeks of enduring their torture, I decided to call their Customer Care to make my plight known. I ended up talking to a slob of an agent who asked what if I wanted my number removed from their third parties' database, to which I said yes.

As of today, I get nothing less than fifteen messages daily on my MTN phone and five on my Glo phone coupled with dozens of calls from the Glo network. All efforts to put an end to this dilemma have proven abortive. I need advice from people; perhaps thy have agents on the forum that could help me through

Been looking for way to say dz.On fri my mom receive abt 300 msgs if not more on her mtn line until her battery got drained,call customer care afterwards who said they working on the problem.The msgs kept coming in,she heard to turn off her phone only to on it back on sat,same still continue.I wonder if its a most subcribe to ringtunes or tips.She went to nearby mtn office to be told by one of the agent. "Madam you'll have to bear with us,we've told those in charge and they are working on it".Until yesterday b4 d problem wz rectified.
Likewise am sick of calls from 4500,4501,4502 to subcribe even time the calls come is frustrating not to talk the msgs.I hope mtn will do smthing about it
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by BuhBye: 6:32am On Sep 22, 2014
vodacom:
It's not true as ncc onced step in but operators says that those in charge of value added service via 3rd parties will loose business or may travel to other countries if stopped.
WTF i guess that's a good reason to spam our numbers with useless texts. I wonder how much of all the money these network providers "steal" from their customers is NCC's cut.
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by zappyj(m): 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
ritababe:

if u are using android download sms blocker or 360 security and block the call and sms, but if u are not using android, TEST STOP TO THE NUMBER THAT SEND U D MESSAGE, it will stop but 3 to 4 days dey start again, i have send them many times so they dont disturb me again, for 2 weeks now am free from their trouble

Hoe about my granny that doesn't use a smartphone? This madness just has to stop
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by wole8029: 6:55am On Sep 22, 2014
Dear NCC, i write this email in pain and anger, to bring etisalat to justice for exploitation of N200. Etisalat service called story box has exploited me for 200 naira, for what i did not subscribe for. I received a call from thier customized number, without any indication that "PICKING UP A CALL ON MY OWN PHONE" is a subscription to any stupid plan. when i saw it was an automated call, i ididnt even hear what it was or remember when it was i ended the call, on the 17th of September,2014 , i received an Sms that i have been billed N100, for subscription, i was shocked and furious, i tried getting in touch with them but it was not clear, so this morning, 22nd of September,2014 as i woke up, just saw another charge of N100 on my credit, making it a Total of N200 Naira. i called their customer care to complain and refund my money, they said they wont refund it, that i should not have picked the call. Absolute rubbish and deceptive and unethical practice by Etisalat and a way to force people to opt in to their packages, i want justice to be done here sir, for this wicked act!, my number etisalat number is xxxxxxxxx and i want my N200 back!. thanks you sir for your anticipated response as always
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by babaijo(m): 7:04am On Sep 22, 2014
How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From
Telecom (GSM) Service Providers - Phones -
Nairaland

This already seems to be the new trend in town,
GSM Operators have assumed the position of
spammers and marketing experts. Hardly can one
have a peaceful 24hrs without getting those
unwanted, unsolicited and extremely annoying text
messages and calls from Telecom Service
Providers.
As the yeah draws closer to a halt, we have figured
out some really helpful insight to help you put this
silly trend under control.
What seems to work already with “MTN Nigeria”
Subscribers
Prior to this time, we have discussed in details
(link here ) what seems to be a solution to Nigerian
subscribers using the MTN services.
If you are currently using an mtn line and would
like to stop those annoying messages usually from
35685, 33113, 35020, 33115 and the rest of them,
you can simply send “stop” as a text message to
“33111“.
This will remove you from their campaign database
irrespective of the type of phone you used in
sending the text message.
What works for every other Mobile Telecom
Service Providers
This set of solutions should work for you
irrespective of your mobile telecommunication
services provider. It takes into account; apps, tips
and tricks to put this annoying marketing
campaigns under control.
Using Nigerian based telecom services providers
for example, you should already be familiar with
these frequent occurring numbers; 4100 (usually
from mtn), 4040, 8888 (usually from glo) and 8181
(usually from airtel).
These numbers don’t matter much, all you need
do is to take note of the numbers that is frequently
used by the telecom services providers as you will
be making use of it in the proceeding step below .
Now that you have identified the numbers?
Now that you have figured out the regular culprits,
blocking them completely will no longer be an
issue. In this part of our tutorial, we are going to
list out 3 proven methods to blocking this
numbers from calling or texting your line.
1. By Using Apps
This method will only work with smartphones,
tabs and phablets. It is achieved by installing
recommended mobile apps based on your mobile
phone operating system.
For Symbian – There is NetQin Mobile Security 5.0
For Android – There is call control
For iOS – There is iBlacklist
For Blackberry – There is call blocker pro & Call
Control Too
Now that you have installed the proper apps based
on your mobile operating system, you need launch
and locate the blacklist options, then add all the
offending numbers to the blacklist and save.
2. By Using Apps with support for Auto-
blacklisting and Community Blacklist features
If you aren’t using your number for bank related
activities, installing and activating this kinda apps
should be the best option for you as it will block
all private text messages, anonymous calls and
SMS or calls from short code numbers and/or
unknown sources.
Calls and Messages from Spammers,telemarketers,
debt collectors, marketers, politicians, advertisers
and other unsolicited calls’ offenders will be
automatically blocked when this feature is turned
on.
There are fewer apps with support for this feature
for most mobile phone OS except for android that
has a handful of such already including call blocker
and Mr Number.
3. By Using the in-built phone Functions
Most phones including features phones has the
feature to manually add numbers to your blacklist
or “do not disturb” category. For smaller Samsung
Java, Chinese Phones, Most Nokia and other
feature phones that comes with this option, the
settings can be found under settings ==> phone
==>Calls ==> blacklist, screen list or “do not
disturb”.
For Samsung Smartphones, Tecno Android ,
Gionee Android, HTC and other brands that comes
with this feature, the settings can be easily located
by going to ==> contacts ==> click on the number
you wanna block (or manually create a group
containing this disturbing numbers)==> click for
more options and locate reject list or similar. For
most android smartphones with this feature, you
can also ==> tap and hold the number you wanna
block from your call log list ==> select add to
reject list or similar.
Article Source
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Afolabi78: 7:08am On Sep 22, 2014
I remember this tin happen to me 2yrs back then . it happen on all network, they automica subscribe u and started deducting ur money any how. but what i did then is report them to ncc fb page and i also make a call to ncc line which is toll free. i will susject that we go to ncc fb page and bombard there wall with all our complain that when the network take me serious and they stop deducting my money
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by begwong: 7:28am On Sep 22, 2014
Worst culprit is MTN.They registered a callertune by force on my line and deducted #50 immediately.
Stupid enough,they said it will be renewed in 30 days time or i shd text "cancel" not to be renewed.(whuch i did asap same day)
I am just imagining how they rip-off millions of subscribers who cant read and write with such a scam!!!
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by titoetal(m): 7:39am On Sep 22, 2014
Well, the whole scenario seems not to have solution. The regulatory body has failed subscribers, I mean NCC. However, I have a suggestion which if we can adopt, might solve this menace. It's a hard decision but most Nigerians don't like to leave a comfort zone. If all subscribers can just switch off their networks in protest to this ugly behaviour that is invading our privacy until we are heard, it will do the magic. No taking up to the street, just leave our COMFORT ZONE for some days.
Yes we can do it.
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by tobnical(m): 7:40am On Sep 22, 2014
If it were to be in an advanced country, subscribers would have sued them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Ephemmm: 7:46am On Sep 22, 2014
stano2: Well, the devised another method of not sendin it as a text message, it just appears on ur screen with Accept/reject option, and if u ar in a hurry to use ur phone while ur backlight is off and u use ur OK button twice without readin what's on ur screen....SORRY 4 YOU

U really nailed it! That was what have happened to some people even the literates: only God has saved me many times from falling victim. Now, literates are falling victim, how much more citizenry without the knowledge of the content who have falled victim?

There is Godu ooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by arimahoseloka(m): 8:03am On Sep 22, 2014
ceejay80s: Airtel wan kill me with text msg for airtime and e don reach 3months wey i neva recharge, dem even send text to borrow airtîme but í refused' now customer care called last friday and said
good morning sir, oga pls recharge na
lwkmd
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Chinwem(f): 8:25am On Sep 22, 2014
Olsoo: The most annoying is deducting money from my account for services i never activated or opted-in for. angry

I guess they need to find a way to pay their ambassadors somehow
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Namzy(m): 8:34am On Sep 22, 2014
Used to be a victim until I decided to go to playstore and download SMS FILTER. The app is awesome and not even up to 200kb. Anytime you get a rubbish text just open the app and add that number. You don't even have to add manual as the app has option to add from message directly. Also it doesn't delete the messages but stores them incase you mistakenly miss that important text() but said messages don't appear in your messages you only see those messages when you open the app.
Thank me later.....

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by chrisexy(m): 8:49am On Sep 22, 2014
It's only in Nigeria that network providers literally force their services down your throat. My own nightmare is from MTN. They say if you want to opt out (even when u never subscribed to it), you should text "STOP" to whatever number. You do it and the messages keep coming.
This is invasion of privacy. If I want your services, I'd subscribe to them, otherwise, keep them to yourself.
I don't buy that third party crap. It's your network, so it's your duty to do everything you can to stop third parties from causing inconveniences to you clients.
Someone has to do something about this; it's totally unacceptable. It's so annoying!
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Emmanuel602(m): 9:02am On Sep 22, 2014
What I always do is to add every operator number that calls or text me to my contact screen list. With that I won't receive any message or text in my inbox. I advice you to follow suit
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 22, 2014
Gloria3389:
abi na... the thing dey vex me especially when I'm expecting bank alert...chai...
Lol. As in eh
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 22, 2014
wole8029: Dear NCC, i write this email in pain and anger, to bring etisalat to justice for exploitation of N200. Etisalat service called story box has exploited me for 200 naira, for what i did not subscribe for. I received a call from thier customized number, without any indication that "PICKING UP A CALL ON MY OWN PHONE" is a subscription to any stupid plan. when i saw it was an automated call, i ididnt even hear what it was or remember when it was i ended the call, on the 17th of September,2014 , i received an Sms that i have been billed N100, for subscription, i was shocked and furious, i tried getting in touch with them but it was not clear, so this morning, 22nd of September,2014 as i woke up, just saw another charge of N100 on my credit, making it a Total of N200 Naira. i called their customer care to complain and refund my money, they said they wont refund it, that i should not have picked the call. Absolute rubbish and deceptive and unethical practice by Etisalat and a way to force people to opt in to their packages, i want justice to be done here sir, for this wicked act!, my number etisalat number is xxxxxxxxx and i want my N200 back!. thanks you sir for your anticipated response as always
I say na so dem deduct #900 two wks ago on the 8th after I recharge. For the next one wk, I dey call for refund and some of the agents go tell me say I no recharge wetin I talk. Dey first said their system had nt updated my transactinn. Na so e dey take long to update? So I gave them time. Today, I bin don ready to rant on whoever tell me say dem never update my transaction. The guy wey pick today don refund am with extra 100 for my 'inconvenience'. So like say I no call again, dem for just hold my 900 for no reason.
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by cynthiaibeabuchi(f): 9:41am On Sep 22, 2014
Can't bliv u guys r leaving airtel out of dis ....airel nd mtn so damn network

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by bookiee(f): 9:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Yomieluv: MTN is most guilty.

I nearly went agog one day,within one hour,more than fifteen sms on love,health etc. For me to subscribe.

MTN- Milking The Nation.

Nigerians b complaining with no action?
wetin we fit do?
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by AriDsexy(f): 10:59am On Sep 22, 2014
nickz: even Hausa callertunes
Lol...if its an Airtel line just send STOP to 791 to opt out.
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by dammytosh: 11:19am On Sep 22, 2014
AriDsexy:
Lol...if its an Airtel line just send STOP to 791 to opt out.

it is not funny at all.

I remember them saying i should send stop to stop the annoying reminders.

I sent STOP but guess wat ?

I was debited 50naira immediately, subscribed for the service and I have been paying 50naira weekly for that. Very annoying
Re: Nigerian Networks And Their Annoying Texts/calls by AriDsexy(f): 11:32am On Sep 22, 2014
dammytosh:

it is not funny at all.

I remember them saying i should send stop to stop the annoying reminders.

I sent STOP but guess wat ?

I was debited 50naira immediately, subscribed for the service and I have been paying 50naira weekly for that. Very annoying
I didn't say its funny,I laughed d guy I quoted because he talked about hause CRBT,if u've done that and ur still being charged,call back and tell them to log in ur complaints or better still ask them to deactivate from their system cos there's an app for that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Infinix Unveils Hot 10 Play Device In Nigeria / Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Xenomorph: NCC Discovers Software That Steals Users’ Banking Details On Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.