Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,019 members, 7,835,446 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ (1456 Views)

10 Things Married Ladies In Akwaibom Talk About When They Meet / Inseparable For 52 Years, They Died Hand-in-hand: Grandparents Found Clinging To / Who Turns Out Better: A child Trained By Grandparents Or The Parents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:57pm On Nov 04, 2008
~There's a special relationship that can exist between grandchildren and grandparents!!This thread is dedicated to our memories of that Bond shared between us grandchildren & our grandparents!!

~I share such a special relationship with my maternal Nana & grandpa ,never did get to meet my dada's parents they passed away before i was born !!

~It is with fond memories i write about them here now knowing y'll will have great stories to share about your grandparents,the bond you share~ the special food or love they share with us~ the horror stories they told you shocked lol,i can still hear some of my nana's tales . . . i have been missing her quite a lot lately . . . she's a vibrant ~ strong-willed ~ passionate 70 something year old African woman of virtue,who doesnt seem to age in my eyes!!

~My grandpa passed away some 15 years ago . . . . i still miss him cry!! He was a laid back Irish man who made an effort to learn two local languages. . . he had a pub where we'd run riot,try to sneak in to try beer . . .lol he knew how to put his foot down when needed infact i'd say he was strict sometimes but we had him wrapped round our little fingers grin

~Nana however is that person i can always talk to without fear of her judging my mistakes,she'll be the first to hear about a new man in my life,the first i'll run to to cry about my insecurities/issues . . . .

~There are certain foods i'll only eat if my nana cooks it!! . . . when its the season for certain fruits like mangos,oranges,berries she'll come every weekend with her bag full of fruits & sweety's . . . lol,the way me & my siblings use to run to get to her first so our share will be more than the fastest loser cheesy

~Then there are those times when i have been head-strong stubborn about something & we'll argue and she knows just the words to get me to huff & puff angry she'll be like " I can't believe you'll talk to me like that . . see this pekin way if you didnt look properly in her cot you wudnt even know there's a human being lying there" shocked i was a tiny baby . . she had to stay up into all hours of the night to watch over me when i was born . . watched me while my mum returned to work . . she'll pile the guilt trip till i succum to what she wanted,lol deterined ole lady!! . , to this day she knows just what to say to get me trippin cheesy I love her to bits tho & would do anything for her . . she neednt ask even!!

~Noow i got the ball rolliin,Share your memorable moments with your grandparents!!
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by chika98: 6:57pm On Nov 04, 2008
I love my grandparents. They taught me a lot of things and I will always be grateful for that. May they RIP
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by abujabooks(f): 6:59pm On Nov 04, 2008
My maternal Grandma ~ we had a special name for her.

She taught me how to make egusi stew d Ijebu way. I loved her. She is dead now. She used to come and stay with us when I was young!

I miss her!
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Nobody: 7:00pm On Nov 04, 2008
Never met any of my grandads, they are both dead now  embarassed

Met my mum's mum once when I was 5, she is now dead  embarassed

Hmm, my dad's mum, met her twice, last time I met her was last year sha, she is still beautiful, alive and kicking!  kiss kiss
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Shaz(f): 7:05pm On Nov 04, 2008
I've got a granddad and both grandmums, quite fortunate abi?

My other granddad died last year at 93. He gave me my first poultry experience one Christmas day like that, went home 4 holz. I kinda miss him.
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by MrCrackles(m): 7:12pm On Nov 04, 2008
i miss my nana's grandmum's sad

aint seen my nana on my pop's side in 4years but this xmas, i have to go home and see her

my nana on my mum side, shez a bit of a globetrotter, she would be on the plane soon again grin

no gran dada's because they both sleeping in the bossom of the lord, i still miss you both though! smiley
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by kokoye(m): 7:13pm On Nov 04, 2008
they dead.  cry
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Gamine(f): 7:17pm On Nov 04, 2008
Well My Granmum's are still alive.

My Dads mum is in the Vill, Muslim and very scary

My Mums mum just left our house, back to her home

shes ok.

i got to see my Greatgrandmum from my mums side, she was really something.

My Dads dad died when i was 4, he was polygamous of course, My mums dad is in Lagos, very polygamous.

I have no special memories, we never really bonded with any of them.
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Morenike3(f): 7:26pm On Nov 04, 2008
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my grandma.

My "mama" (thats what we call her) is the best. I love her so much.

I miss her, she's still alive o kiss kiss kiss and I hope she sees her children's children in Jesus name. This woman is. . . . is. . . . Let's just say the Lord blessed me by giving her to me.

My grandpa dies when my mom was 18, so I don't even know him cry cry cry cry

I so much love my grandma, love love her. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Lol!! even though she still sees me as a baby. Always wanting me to sit on her lap so she can stroke my hair. Always worrying about my well-being. lol, my cuzins are always jealous of me. I can't blame them.

Such a beautiful woman, in and out. kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Lol!!1 She has the thing, winking her eyes at us, if she doesn't want us to eat at someone's house or trying to tell us sth and doesn't want other people outside of the family to know.

She's so special. Mama, I miss you so much cry cry cry I don't think anyone loves me as much as you do. Sorry, mommy, but mama will always be my first mother. kiss kiss
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Gamine(f): 7:31pm On Nov 04, 2008
Easy!
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by mohawkchic(f): 7:34pm On Nov 04, 2008
~May Light perpetual shine Upon all the souls of the Grandparents passed Onamen

~I can't imagine what life would have been like without my Nana to be honest,for the people who have a close relationship with their grandparents . . are you wooried about them dying? I have to admit everytime the thought crosses my mind,i wish it were possible for me to keep my Nana alive & healthy for a couple more decades grin

~Are you named after your maternal or paternal grandparents? Did /will you name your kids after your grandparents ?

~I got my paternal Nana's name as my middle name & my sis got my maternal Nana's name as her middle name,i think it was kind of cool for my parents to do that,must have made them proud!! Personally am not keen on recycling names but am glad i haave a name that meant something to my dada smiley
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by iice(f): 9:24pm On Nov 04, 2008
Paternal grandad died before i was born.
Grandma was cool
Love my maternal grandad, he was awesome! Lived to be 91 and was still driving about town - mad man grin
Don't get along that well with my maternal grandmom grin She just dey, not much in common there tongue But she likes to feed us like no man's bizness. Chaiii grin
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Ndipe(m): 10:36pm On Nov 04, 2008
I was the closest grandchild to my maternal grandmom out of her many grandchildren. I loved her.
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by mohawkchic(f): 4:09pm On Nov 05, 2008
She has the thing, winking her eyes at us, if she doesn't want us to eat at someone's house or trying to tell us sth and doesn't want other people outside of the family to know.

~lol . . .aaw grin what is it with that "Eye" or "Look" . . . if you like,that they give most especially when NOT to eat in someone's house ? I know it too well from my Mam & Nana!!

~My Nana takes pride in making sure she introduces us to every neighbor on her road!! and i mean everyone . .no exaggeration cheesy. . . .If she'll have her way,she'll make me say hello to each and every one of these people everytime i visit . . . sometimes some of them come over . .lol,am her very own celebrity & i often feel like one after all the hello's & warm welcome cheesy
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Morenike3(f): 11:58pm On Nov 09, 2008
mohawkchic:

~lol . . .aaw grin what is it with that "Eye" or "Look" . . . if you like,that they give most especially when NOT to eat in someone's house ? I know it too well from my Mam & Nana!!

~My Nana takes pride in making sure she introduces us to every neighbor on her road!! and i mean everyone . .no exaggeration cheesy. . . .If she'll have her way,she'll make me say hello to each and every one of these people everytime i visit . . . sometimes some of them come over . .lol,am her very own celebrity & i often feel like one after all the hello's & warm welcome cheesy

Lol, same here. . . .hehehe, most peeps in my villa knows me embarassed even ppl I don't know undecided
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by zayhal(f): 11:44am On Nov 10, 2008
You guys are making me feel I've missed a lot.

Four of them were long dead before I was born. embarassed
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by uzoo: 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2008
i never knew mine , they were dead before i was even born.
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by tpia: 4:45pm On Nov 10, 2008
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by SeanT21(f): 5:39pm On Nov 10, 2008
I miss my grandma so much from my mother side.She is the only grandparent that I was close with.I remember everything we did together Just Like Yesterday.

~~I remember Her allowing me to braid her hair every day when I used to go and visit.I used to make her hair even worse but She still allowed me too.

~~She taught me how to cook.

~~She used to wake me up in the middle of the night when I was a youg girl to take me to use the bathroom.

~~We used to walk to church together when I went for a visit.I used to walk way ahead of her.After walking for a Long time,I will wait for her to reach to me so we wont be in Long Distance from one another.

~~When she came to Live with us in ELWA,I was so happy.She slept in My room and every morning I woke up with her telling me her latest dream.She used to snore at night.It used to bother me but I went to be every night next to her.

~~I remember we she used to Bring all of us together and Let us Play Football.The team that won got 100 Liberian Dollars.

~~How can I forget the presents that she give me and all her grandkids for Christmas.It was always the latest outfit that came in style.

~~I used to take the Taxi to her house after school.She will always be sitting on the Porch or Talking with someone.I used to call her Grandma or Old Ma.

~~She toke care of so many kids from the neighborhood.Many People Big and Small Looked Up to her.She told everyone about Jesus.She told me that I was her favorite Grandaughter.I consider her a second mother.

RIP ELIZABETH COX!!
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by spikedcylinder: 5:58pm On Nov 10, 2008
I never met any of mine. sad
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by mohawkchic(f): 6:15pm On Nov 10, 2008
You guys are making me feel I've missed a lot.

Four of them were long dead before I was born

~Aaaaaw zayhal sad

~Aaaaw Tpia & SeanT21 . . . fond memories huh,thanks for sharing guys!!

~Am getting all emotional here reading your stories,me think am missing my Nana too much these days,spoke to here last week tho,after the usual pleasanties,first thing she asked me about was a handbag i promised her . . lol grin woman like bluff too much,she took one of my favourite handbag when i visited her last year,now she's after another bag,am like "this bag is for "young girl" not "ole mami" then she goes "You think you're the only one who can rock it holding that bag?" am like shocked "Oooh no you didnt!!" grin ~ she does make my day!!

~She gave me this rare sliver bracelet i'll treasure like some heirloom,you all know the hand made type design,that style/design was more popular in their days? It's beautiful!!
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by chika98: 8:10pm On Nov 10, 2008
I see a trend here. Everyone is in love with their maternal grandparents. What happened to the paternal ones?? grin
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by SeanT21(f): 8:43pm On Nov 10, 2008
chika98:

I see a trend here. Everyone is in love with their maternal grandparents. What happened to the paternal ones?? grin

Well I was never really close with my dad until a few months ago. He told me his mother died from Diabetes and His Father still lives in Liberia.I hope to see him someday.
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by tpia: 10:46pm On Nov 10, 2008
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by Andala: 3:23am On Nov 11, 2008
I never knew my Grandparents.so sad cry
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by itstpia1: 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2014
Re: ~ Lets Talk About Our Grandparents ~ by tpiah2: 10:32pm On Dec 09, 2014

(1) (Reply)

How To Win Your Lovers Heart This New Year / How To Make Your Child Succeed At School / Couples Lending Out Money To Each Other What Is Your Take

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.