Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,957 members, 7,810,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Best German Car To Get? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best German Car To Get? (4287 Views)

Best German Car To Get At 1m / Mercedes-Benz Unveils Self-Driving Car To Be On Sale By 2020 / Best Way To Ship A Car To Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 8:27pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hi everyone,
i thought i will ask this question, whats the best german car from the 2011 - date range one can get? car must be a good one without much wahala of going to workshop every now and then.

Things i look out for are:

Speed
engine capacity: probably 2.0 to 3.5 L
Powerful, strong and well built.
year from 2011 to 2014

I was thinking about the Volkswagen CC but i read users review and many were so bad, from power steering going off, deflation of tyres easily and check light showing for servicing when not due and many others.

ALso considered the 2014 Benz CLA250, the CLA250 is very small and not so spacious to contain alot of goodies so looked at the 2012 Benz C250 which is nice as well but havent read users review on this two benz as at times, not all you read are accurate.

SO i thought i will just ask experienced users of german cars what they consider good,

SEAT, OPEL, SKODA are out of options
any other makes are welcomed

Please state reasons so i can better digest and contrast... and lets say, to be used in Nigeria.

Thanks
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
ora10g: Hi everyone,
i thought i will ask this question, whats the best german car from the 2011 - date range one can get? car must be a good one without much wahala of going to workshop every now and then.

Things i look out for are:

Speed
engine capacity: probably 2.0 to 3.5 L
Powerful, strong and well built.
year from 2011 to 2014

I was thinking about the Volkswagen CC but i read users review and many were so bad, from power steering going off, deflation of tyres easily and check light showing for servicing when not due and many others.

ALso considered the 2014 Benz CLA250, the CLA250 is very small and not so spacious to contain alot of goodies so looked at the 2012 Benz C250 which is nice as well but havent read users review on this two benz as at times, not all you read are accurate.

SO i thought i will just ask experienced users of german cars what they consider good,

SEAT, OPEL, SKODA are out of options
any other makes are welcomed

Please state reasons so i can better digest and contrast... and lets say, to be used in Nigeria.

Thanks

Mercedes,BMW,Volkswagen and Audi are all lovely brands. But Mercedes is the preferred choice for me and the CLA 250 and C250 you mentioned are both 4 Cylinder engine. My preferred choice is the 2012 Mercedes C350 Sports which is a 6 Cylinder and a direct injection engine(naturally aspirated) which is also the first to be introduce on the W204 series. I don't like the C300 because there's none without the 4matic(all wheel drive) which is what i try to avoid.

The previous years was indirect injection and the fuel economy suffered a bit but in 2012 you will get 20/29/23 mpg(city/highway/combined) also the interior in the 2012 looks very lovely compared to the previous years.

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
Eyop:

Mercedes,BMW,Volkswagen and Audi are all lovely brands. But Mercedes is the preferred choice for me and the CLA 250 and C250 you mentioned are both 4 Cylinder engine. My preferred choice is the 2012 Mercedes C350 Sports which is a 6 Cylinder and a direct injection engine(naturally aspirated) which is also the first to be introduce on the W204 series. I don't like the C300 because there's none without the 4matic(all wheel drive) which is what i try to avoid.

The previous years was indirect injection and the fuel economy suffered a bit but in 2012 you will get 20/29/23 mpg(city/highway/combined) also the interior in the 2012 looks very lovely compared to the previous years.

Thanks for the head-up, the C250 and C350 are almost same except for the engine i guess, but if i may ask, why do you prefer the 350 than the 250? more power or a mechanical issue?

Vw and Audi are almost the same cars and most have the same engines. But i havent looked at bmw in no way, just don't feel them as much..
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 10:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
ora10g:

Thanks for the head-up, the C250 and C350 are almost same except for the engine i guess, but if i may ask, why do you prefer the 350 than the 250? more power or a mechanical issue?

Vw and Audi are almost the same cars and most have the same engines. But i havent looked at bmw in no way, just don't feel them as much..

The C250 and C350 are not the same. The C250 is a 1.8 litre engine(Single exhaust) while the C350 is a 3.5 litre engine(dual exhaust). I prefer the C350 because it's a Naturally aspirated engine,more power and fuel economy is fantastic almost like a 4 cylinder engine. If i can get all of that in a 6 cylinder,i think it makes more sense for me to stick with the C350. As for the VW and AUDI,i am never a fan of it so i don't know anything about those brands.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 10:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
Eyop:

The C250 and C350 are not the same. The C250 is a 1.8 litre engine(Single exhaust) while the C350 is a 3.5 litre engine(dual exhaust). I prefer the C350 because it's a Naturally aspirated engine,more power and fuel economy is fantastic almost like a 4 cylinder engine. If i can get all of that in a 6 cylinder,i think it makes more sense for me to stick with the C350. As for the VW and AUDI,i am never a fan of it so i don't know anything about those brands.

Great thanks, got your point. That means the C350 is a deal breaker, will read about it. how about the handling and repair parts? Any consideration into the CLA250?
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2014
Eyop:

Why do you avoid the 4matic?
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 10:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
ora10g:

Great thanks, got your point. That means the C350 is a deal breaker, will read about it. how about the handling and repair parts? Any consideration into the CLA250?

Sincerely it's sure a deal breaker as am also looking forward to acquiring the 2012 C350 Sports anytime soon. Handling is superb but i don't know about the repair parts but a certified one like the pics i displayed above shouldn't have an issue soon and even if it does,is not something that happens all the time. According to J.D Power,Reliability of the Mercedes brand has greatly improved. I am never a fan of SUV but rather Sedan. I have not read much about the CLA250 but anything apart from 6 cylinder engine on a W204 series for me is a no no no thing. That's my own opinion anyway.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 10:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
lomomike:

Why do you avoid the 4matic?
Reliability issues. Some of the reviews about the 4matic was never impressive with one break down after the other. The 4matic is linked to the gearbox and any malfunction in the all wheel drive affects the gearbox as well and it's very expensive to fix. Most people suffered this problem even when the vehicle had low miles on it. Except they've rectified that problem with recent years,i don't recommend it for anyone.

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 11:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
So far so good, only good reviews, bad reviews are clueless users who wants everything done for them or wants everything to be all perfect...
Good car to look into

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 23, 2014
It's nice to see that 1st world problems are arriving in Nigeria grin

How sharp does a knife have to be to cut through butter?

Good luck on your decision and let us (me?) know how you reached your final choice.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 1:04am On Sep 23, 2014
CityNG: It's nice to see that 1st world problems are arriving in Nigeria grin

How sharp does a knife have to be to cut through butter?

Good luck on your decision and let us (me?) know how you reached your final choice.

Lol, no final choice so far, just looking around. And i will like a bit more explanation on "1st world problems" and the other proverbs. Do you mind if your give more insight please? as it may help.

Thanks
Re: Best German Car To Get? by auhanson(m): 1:37am On Sep 23, 2014
Eyop:
Reliability issues. Some of the reviews about the 4matic was never impressive with one break down after the other. The 4matic is linked to the gearbox and any malfunction in the all wheel drive affects the gearbox as well and it's very expensive to fix. Most people suffered this problem even when the vehicle had low miles on it. Except they've rectified that problem with recent years,i don't recommend it for anyone.

Besides , do we really need the 4matics? why do buy into components that you dont even have need of? A rear wheel cruiser benz has enough power and handling to take you anyway, cut the spending and assume better economy by avoiding the 4matics.

Eyop:

Also, the c250 though delivers better economy, and better horsepower than most of the rival 4 cylinder of same capacity 1.8litre engines, it is turbo packed to assume such feats. A c250 can deliver an amazing 200 and something horsepower with a reasonable fuel economy squized from a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder trubo packed engine with an acceleration of 0-60 mph(100km/h) in 7.20 sec.

Come to think of it, the 2014 CLA45 AMG version, a[b] 4 cylinder[/b] engine delivers an impressive 355 hp with a very decent fuel economy of 23/31 (city/Hwy). this is unheard of in any 4 cylinder engine,combining such performance and economy of such magnitude. A 2.0litre I4, 16 valves engine.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by auhanson(m): 1:39am On Sep 23, 2014
Eyop:

Besides , do we really need the 4matics? why do buy into components that you dont even have need of? A rear wheel cruiser benz has enough power and handling to take you anyway, cut the spending and assume better economy by avoiding the 4matics.

Eyop:

Also, the c250 though delivers better economy, and better horsepower than most of the rival 4 cylinder of same capacity 1.8litre engines, it is turbo packed to assume such feats. A c250 can deliver an amazing 200 and something horsepower with a reasonable fuel economy squeezed from a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder trubo packed engine with an acceleration of 0-60 mph(100km/h) in 7.20 sec.

Come to think of it, the 2014 CLA45 AMG version, a[b] 4 cylinder[/b] engine delivers an impressive 355 hp with a very decent fuel economy of 23/31 (city/Hwy). this is unheard of in any 4 cylinder engine,combining such performance and economy of such magnitude. A 2.0litre I4, 16 valves engine.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 23, 2014
ora10g:

Lol, no final choice so far, just looking around. And i will like a bit more explanation on "1st world problems" and the other proverbs. Do you mind if your give more insight please? as it may help.

Thanks

It's all good.

Basically it means that you are very comfortable if the hardest thing on your plate is deciding the best german car to get grin

The other proverb, how sharp does a knife have to be to cut butter, well any of the cars that we are talking about will do any taks you will ever ask of it and you/ll never push any of them to 55% of their potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqmT-o8laVY

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 3:57am On Sep 23, 2014
auhanson:

Also, the c250 though delivers better economy, and better horsepower than most of the rival 4 cylinder of same capacity 1.8litre engines, it is turbo packed to assume such feats. A c250 can deliver an amazing 200 and something horsepower with a reasonable fuel economy squeezed from a 1.8 litre 4 cylinder trubo packed engine .

That's the issue auhanson but some may really not understand anyway. If i need the 4matics,i'll rather go for the SUV that has a standard 4matic on them and not on the Sedan. Yes you are also correct about the horsepower on the 1.8 litre engine and better fuel economy. Choice differs but i will pick the C350 over the C250,more power and better fuel economy compared to its rival and it has horsepower of over 300.

The potential user has the final say anyway.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 4:33pm On Sep 23, 2014
CityNG:

It's all good.

Basically it means that you are very comfortable if the hardest thing on your plate is deciding the best german car to get grin

The other proverb, how sharp does a knife have to be to cut butter, well any of the cars that we are talking about will do any taks you will ever ask of it and you/ll never push any of them to 55% of their potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqmT-o8laVY

Thanks for wonderful quotes, learn't something of great virtue from that. I get your point.

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 4:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
Eyop:

That's the issue auhanson but some may really not understand anyway. If i need the 4matics,i'll rather go for the SUV that has a standard 4matic on them and not on the Sedan. Yes you are also correct about the horsepower on the 1.8 litre engine and better fuel economy. Choice differs but i will pick the C350 over the C250,more power and better fuel economy compared to its rival and it has horsepower of over 300.

The potential user has the final say anyway.

True, i too will prefer the C350 over the C250.
Mpg for C250 = 21/30 (city/highway)
Mpg for C350 = 20/29 (city/highway)

Thats just too close to judge and then more power and more everything.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 4:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
ora10g:

True, i too will prefer the C350 over the C250.
Mpg for C250 = 21/30 (city/highway)
Mpg for C350 = 20/29 (city/highway

Thats just too close to judge and then more power and more everything.
My brother the 2012 C350 is it. The exterior & interior design is superb and fuel isn't bad at all for 6 cylinder engine with a very high horsepower. I am really impressed with the little have read about it and as soon as am ready,i sure will get it.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 7:17pm On Sep 23, 2014
Eyop:
My brother the 2012 C350 is it. The exterior & interior design is superb and fuel isn't bad at all for 6 cylinder engine with a very high horsepower. I am really impressed with the little have read about it and as soon as am ready,i sure will get it.

Well said
Re: Best German Car To Get? by lungwun(m): 7:32am On Sep 24, 2014
I'm shocked no one has suggested the BMW 335i in either E90 or E92 guise which will run rings around the girly C350 both mechanically and at the mechanics too. wink

Horses for courses and all that but I'm a BMW guy so maybe I'm a bit biased. But I do love spirited driving and that's a feeling I haven't gotten from Mercedes yet.

Plus almost everyone and their uncle has a C class. Why not deviate from the pack and get something not run of the mill.

If I were getting another car and wanted some exclusivity, I would look at our American cousins and get one of the second generation Cadillac CTS's.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by TheGrandMaster: 11:31am On Sep 24, 2014
Eyop:

I lost all composure when i saw that 2012 C350, i am already planning to sell my C300 and add money to get this baby. That pic you put up is making me drool right now. meanwhile what are we gonna do about this new customs tarriff. This car should originally cost about N5m to bring it but with this new customs tarriff i am suspecting it will get to N7m, can anyone correct me if i am wrong. I dont see myself buying any of these made in Nigeria cars.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 11:44am On Sep 24, 2014
TheGrandMaster:

I lost all composure when i saw that 2012 C350, i am already planning to sell my C300 and add money to get this baby. That pic you put up is making me drool right now. meanwhile what are we gonna do about this new customs tarriff. This car should originally cost about N5m to bring it but with this new customs tarriff i am suspecting it will get to N7m, can anyone correct me if i am wrong. I dont see myself buying any of these made in Nigeria cars.

My brother you are saying nothing but the truth. Your C300 had the pop-up screen but that changed with the 2012 after several suggestions made to Mercedes Benz. The interior design is so lovely and same with the exterior. There's nothing we can do about the clearing. The price of this one above(11,000 miles) is $34,000, pick-up/shipping $1,300 and clearing locally here should be up to 1.5million. So when you sum that up,it will amount to almost #7.5million. Made in Nigeria cars ke? God will provide for the desires of my heart.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by TheGrandMaster: 11:52am On Sep 24, 2014
Eyop:

My brother you are saying nothing but the truth. Your C300 had the pop-up screen but that changed with the 2012 after several suggestions made to Mercedes Benz. The interior design is so lovely and same with the exterior. There's nothing we can do about the clearing. The price of this one above(11,000 miles) is $34,000, pick-up/shipping $1,300 and clearing locally here should be up to 1.5million. So when you sum that up,it will amount to almost #7.5million. Made in Nigeria cars ke? God will provide for the desires of my heart.

Amen my brother, Amen. I wil wait till N7.5m is complete. looool!
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 11:53am On Sep 24, 2014
TheGrandMaster:

Amen my brother, Amen. I wil wait till N7.5m is complete. looool!
Hahahahaha cheesy grin Amen in Jesus name.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
hey boss,
judging from your comments, i see you know alot about MB's, i'm caught between getting a 2012 c250 and a honda accord 2013, i like both cars, the benz a little more though but my friends say the maintenance of the benz is a killer... is that really true or just something everyone says? which would you advise a brother between both cars? thanks in advance

[quote author=Eyop]

Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
Eyop:

hey boss,
judging from your comments, i see you know alot about MB's, i'm caught between getting a 2012 c250 and a honda accord 2013, i like both cars, the benz a little more though but my friends say the maintenance of the benz is a killer... is that really true or just something everyone says? which would you advise a brother between both cars? thanks in advance
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2014
aademimi:

hey boss,

Benz is never a killer in maintenance so don't mind them. Benz is German while Honda is Japanese so you cannot compare both brands. The Honda can tolerate abuse but the Mercedes may not so bypassing factory settings/installation on a Mercedes will mean trouble. All you need is a good mechanic that can assist with the regular servicing and you are good to go. Remember parts replaced on a benz would last longer than the Honda and is not as if it's an everyday show.

In all,our individual choice might differ so like i said,both cars are good and you can stick with the one you love. Cheers.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by danadam(m): 8:21pm On Oct 02, 2014
As long as you maintain a benz, you enjoy the car and you might likely find it difficult to change to a different brand. Maintenance is not as cheap as your average japmobile but the money expended will be worth the effort.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
Thanks alot boss... i guess i will go with the c class since i like that more... i appreciate!

Eyop:

Benz is never a killer in maintenance so don't mind them. Benz is German while Honda is Japanese so you cannot compare both brands. The Honda can tolerate abuse but the Mercedes may not so bypassing factory settings/installation on a Mercedes will mean trouble. All you need is a good mechanic that can assist with the regular servicing and you are good to go. Remember parts replaced on a benz would last longer than the Honda and is not as if it's an everyday show.

In all,our individual choice might differ so like i said,both cars are good and you can stick with the one you love. Cheers.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Eyop: 8:47pm On Oct 02, 2014
aademimi: Thanks alot boss... i guess i will go with the c class since i like that more... i appreciate!

You welcome Sir. And when you finally get it,you can join the Mercedes Benz forum on Nairaland.
Re: Best German Car To Get? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
will sure do! thanks

Eyop:
You welcome Sir. And when you finally get it,you can join the Mercedes Benz forum on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Best German Car To Get? by ora10g: 3:37am On Oct 04, 2014
aademimi: will sure do! thanks

Just make sure when you get one, get a brand new or close or if u are getting tokunbo, make sure you go with a good tech to make sure there are no underlying and prior problems, else you may have to spend alot getting it back on track, but if u are fortunate to get a good one, you will surely be rewarded with its excellence.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota 1zz Engine: Everything You Need To Know! / Which One Should I Go For Toyota Sienna XLE Or Toyota Highlander? / Why Does Everyone Want Leather Seats So Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.