Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,757 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (62497 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Ugosample(m): 10:35am On Jul 25, 2019
Drenimarcus:

Yes. This thread started in 2014. 5 years later, it became the poverty capital of the world. Even the rich have backup plans just in case

EXACTLY so
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by charzyh2: 9:09am On Nov 26, 2020
safarigirl:
which politician spoilt Nigeria? It's foolish Nigerians that spoilt and are still spoiling Nigeria.

You should all be ashamed that less than 3% of Nigerians have put 97% of us in bondage. Really, it's pathetic.

Look at this 4,000 NYSC payment, do you realise if everyone agrees not to pay a dime, they'll cancel that thing? But no, Nigerians can sabotage themselves, a bunch of eediots will go and pay and the rest will have to follow suuite.

When that immigration stampede happened, there were enough people in the Abuja centre to march to aso rock and begin a revolution, but what happened? They all went home and thanked God they were alive to go on another job search tomorrow.

A courageous journalist exposed TB Joshua's condemnable act of bribery and Nigerians condemned the fellow and made shameful, eediotic excuses for the TB Joshua fellow, in a sane country, that man ought to be in jail facing murder and man-slaughter charges, not getting condolences from your president

The problem with Nigeria is it's people, the same people that want to run away and reap where they didn't sow- enjoy the benefits of good governance where the people demanded it, and until you all demand good governance, you'll continue to wallow in your self-pity and run away.

Like Mandela said "the leaders are a reflection of their people"

After the Lekki toll gate massacre do you still believe that the masses are the problems? Or the government that has been trying to cover up evidences?

Will you still blame people for escaping from the country just to secure their lives?

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by rs172(m): 6:40pm On Dec 01, 2020
Sanchez01:
Somewhere in June, I declined a United Nations' offer of working as a Journalist/photographer abroad and I became a 'fool' in the eyes of people for not grabbing the opportunity. I have never considered travelling abroad though, and settling there for me is a big NO NO. Okay, maybe I could for my honeymoon, should I get married, that isgrin.

But on a more serious note, I have never fancied travelling abroad, largely because of the way most Nigerians idolize 'porting' to some so-called greener pastures when most of them have little or no sound educational background. I became the topic among some of my friends simply because I turned down a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Call me a bushman with a weird ideology. I believe whoever is capable of making it in Nigeria can do so anywhere in the world. Moreso, I believe I have a fair share to contribute to the growth of Nigeria rather than invest my energy in some other countries.

Few days ago, while I went for a haircut at a salon, my baby sister called to tell me of one of her friends who had sold all his properties to travel abroad, all in a bid to make it big. According to my baby sis, he had planned on going to Spain but failed after the boat he boarded capsized somewhere in Algeria or Morocco.

This was a young man who was good at what he does. I felt bitter at the salon and somehow I kept muttering to myself how a promising young guy as myself would choose to end his own life all in the name of travelling abroad.

Somehow, my words became the basis of a debate between myself and some guys at the salon. Unfortunately, I stood no chance as the odds was six guys to one.

The six who debated with me had one thing in common; they would sacrifice just anything to travel out of the country, even when it is certain that what would greet them over there remains unknown.

They complained of how backward Nigeria is and how other countries are doing fine, even South Africa!

One of them said, he knows he would end up taking care of the old folks and cleaning their poos wouldn't be a bother to him.

It was obvious I lost the debate in the midst of youths who think of nothing but living on the streets of Harlem and London with little or no plans.

Please understand that I'm not saying travelling abroad is bad. But must it be the last resort simply because you are hungry or jobless? Must it be the only idea in one's head when you are hardly educated

I could remember asking one of the guys at the salon a particular question; 'you claim the country is bad, if we all run abroad, who will fix Nigeria for us?' His response was quite shocking and unbelievable; 'see, Mr Nigeria, I don't care. My own be say make I just comot, no look back again. To sleep gutter for yankee better pass our own gutter.' I didn't find it funny at all. I thought about his statement after leaving the salon and it was obvious that most Nigerian youths would gladly jump at the thought of travelling abroad when they have no skills or talents to sustain themselves.

If we all think of leaving the remains of Nigeria behind just because she is bad, question is; who will repair what is left of her

Most countries all over the world will have Nigerians to thank for their growth and economy. Yet, ours still stay the way it is. It is high time we understood that life itself is not a unicorn on a rainbow. If you cannot make it in Nigeria, you may never make it elsewhere in the world.

How far na, where you dey
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Ugosample(m): 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2020
Interesting posts
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 7:50pm On Dec 01, 2020
rs172:

How far na, where you dey
Protest ground oooo. This government changed my orientation just last month. A man is leaving next year.

4 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Karleb(m): 8:04pm On Dec 01, 2020
Sanchez01:

Protest ground oooo. This government changed my orientation just last month. A man is leaving next year.

gringringringringrin

I read the OP while I didn't complete it, I was seriously shaking my head furiously.

The article was a good read but the content itself? SMH.

Just imagine how life would have been if you had taken that chance.

I'm not taking about the money here.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by olril17(m): 8:43pm On Dec 01, 2020
Ugosample:
Interesting posts
long time boss
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by rs172(m): 8:47pm On Dec 01, 2020
Sanchez01:

If you get the UN job, now will you turn it down, are you still sceptical about about travelling abroad.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 8:49pm On Dec 01, 2020
Karleb:

gringringringringrin

I read the OP while I didn't complete it, I was seriously shaking my head furiously.

The article was a good read but the content itself? SMH.

Just imagine how life would have been if you had taken that chance.

I'm not taking about the money here.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sincerely, I never thought I would visit this particular thread again. I sincerely believe I would have been miserable if I took it. My zeal and flair for journalism died when I got involved with a particular governor who used every available channel to issue death threats over an opinion of mine during the NGF/Amaechi saga (I don't want to give too much but I think the ex-governor is imprisoned now). Anyways, I have come to hate the UN and what it stands for today because it is all in the name and no action.

Since this thread was made and now, I can boldly say a lot has been achieved. I have conveniently resigned a good paying job to fully focus on programming, SEO & Data. I control my life more than ever and moving right now will be like a walk in the park for me. Strangely, I started nurtuing the idea of travelling just after the government's response to the recent protest. If not for me, I owe my kids that quality life and I wouldn't want them to look back tomorrow and curse their popsman for failing to change certain things when he could.

If I had taken the job back then, I might have been neck deep in journalism or humanitarian causes, not like I don't want to though. But then again, I believe my additions over the years puts me at an advantage. My mind is yet to be made up as to where I will be bolting to, but it is most likely the UK as I have been following its threads on Nairaland passively. Madam seems cool with it being a medical lab scientist.

Knowing what I know now, I still wouldn't have taken the opportunity if it comes up again. Not sure I can be answerable to people in the name of work or 9-5 anymore. Definitely not.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 8:55pm On Dec 01, 2020
rs172:

If you get the UN job, now will you turn it down, are you still sceptical about about travelling abroad.
Yes, I will turn it down. I veered off that path years ago and I haven't been happier. Well, travelling abroad wasn't the problem, even though I never saw myself travelling. The issue for me is travelling when you have no particular skill set or value to you.

Anyways, Nigeria is spoilt beyond redemption. Disintegration, at this point, is inevitable. It is only a matter of when, just as a matter of when I would be leaving and not look back. I wish I picked up the skills I have now earlier and made up my mind about leaving a long time ago. That is just the only regret I seem to have right now.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Coquinoqui: 11:20pm On Dec 01, 2020
claremont:
People would always migrate from one place to the other for various reasons. In the EU, citizens of any of the countries migrate from one country to another in search of a better life. Some Americans have been known to migrate to Australia and even as far as the EU all in a bid to eke out a better existence. My point is that migration is a universal characteristic of the human species; and hence, its manifestation among the Nigerian populace is not abnormal, it is a universal norm.

The notion that ''If you cannot make it in Nigeria, you can't make it anywhere else'' is not only ill-informed, but it reeks of ignorance. The first thing that strikes anyone who reads such a statement is ''make it'', everyone's definition of that phrase is different. Some people are quite happy to eke out a miserable existence in a country with appalling public infrastructure, abysmal public services, blatant corruption, and a healthcare system that is a joke. To these people, getting paid peanuts whilst working in the aforementioned country is what they define as having ''made it''.

Thankfully, not everyone believes in sacrificing their destiny on the altar of blindfolded patriotism. This is why people would always migrate. The lure to live a life better than the one currently been lived is far greater than the pull of a below-average abysmal existence they call ''making it in Nigeria''.

U get sense
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by rs172(m): 11:34am On Dec 02, 2020
Sanchez01:

Yes, I will turn it down. I veered off that path years ago and I haven't been happier. Well, travelling abroad wasn't the problem, even though I never saw myself travelling. The issue for me is travelling when you have no particular skill set or value to you.

Anyways, Nigeria is spoilt beyond redemption. Disintegration, at this point, is inevitable. It is only a matter of when, just as a matter of when I would be leaving and not look back. I wish I picked up the skills I have now earlier and made up my mind about leaving a long time ago. That is just the only regret I seem to have right now.

Baba you still dey confuse yourself oo, cause i no understand wetin you type, but one way or the other you go travel abroad if opportunities arise?
Now you're seeing the need for migrating. Not everybody migrate because they wanna make it. Now you get the drill
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by maternal: 3:32pm On Dec 02, 2020
rs172:

Baba you still dey confuse yourself oo, cause i no understand wetin you type, but one way or the other you go travel abroad if opportunities arise?
Now you're seeing the need for migrating. Not everybody migrate because they wanna make it. Now you get the drill

He's a typical Nigerian who doesn't care about his fellow Nigerians or the country. He couldn't see the full picture and as long as it didn't affect him, he didn't care. Now its affecting him, mainly his children, he's seeing it and wants to leave. But before when others wanted to leave because it was affecting his children he'd call them crazy.

7 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by rs172(m): 7:47pm On Dec 02, 2020
maternal:

He's a typical Nigerian who doesn't care about his fellow Nigerians or the country. He couldn't see the full picture and as long as it didn't affect him, he didn't care. Now its affecting him, mainly his children, he's seeing it and wants to leave. But before when others wanted to leave because it was affecting his children he'd call them crazy.

They were championing staying in Nigeria since they’re making money, now the money is getting useless day by day, they’ve discovered there is more to life than making money, what’s the essence of making money in poverty capital nation, where the money doesn’t even guarantee ones safety or doesn’t stop one from being harassed by police or being kidnapped.

He said “it’s a matter of time before he leaves and doesn’t look back”.
Anyone that discourages people who want to leave Nigeria legally is an enemy of progress

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by youngRx(m): 11:55pm On Dec 02, 2020
Sanchez01:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....gringringringrin

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by ednut1(m): 12:06am On Dec 03, 2020
Another one
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Cousin9999: 5:52am On Dec 03, 2020
Traveling and living abroad is important for everyone regardless of what you have. It's a valuable, enriching experience.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Fidelismaria: 11:05am On Dec 03, 2020
Sanchez01:

Bless you! Exactly what I have been insinuating. You have nothing to offer, yet you believe going abroad would increase your chances of becoming a better person. It's a backward mentality, if you ask me.

Six years down the line, do you regret your decision?
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 12:38pm On Dec 03, 2020
Fidelismaria:

Six years down the line, do you regret your decision?
No, not at all.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Ugosample(m): 7:45am On Dec 04, 2020
olril17:

long time boss

Indeed
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Justyoj: 9:05am On Dec 04, 2020
Its 2020! do you still feel the same?

Sanchez01:
Somewhere in June, I declined a United Nations' offer of working as a Journalist/photographer abroad and I became a 'fool' in the eyes of people for not grabbing the opportunity. I have never considered travelling abroad though, and settling there for me is a big NO NO. Okay, maybe I could for my honeymoon, should I get married, that isgrin.

But on a more serious note, I have never fancied travelling abroad, largely because of the way most Nigerians idolize 'porting' to some so-called greener pastures when most of them have little or no sound educational background. I became the topic among some of my friends simply because I turned down a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Call me a bushman with a weird ideology. I believe whoever is capable of making it in Nigeria can do so anywhere in the world. Moreso, I believe I have a fair share to contribute to the growth of Nigeria rather than invest my energy in some other countries.

Few days ago, while I went for a haircut at a salon, my baby sister called to tell me of one of her friends who had sold all his properties to travel abroad, all in a bid to make it big. According to my baby sis, he had planned on going to Spain but failed after the boat he boarded capsized somewhere in Algeria or Morocco.

This was a young man who was good at what he does. I felt bitter at the salon and somehow I kept muttering to myself how a promising young guy as myself would choose to end his own life all in the name of travelling abroad.

Somehow, my words became the basis of a debate between myself and some guys at the salon. Unfortunately, I stood no chance as the odds was six guys to one.

The six who debated with me had one thing in common; they would sacrifice just anything to travel out of the country, even when it is certain that what would greet them over there remains unknown.

They complained of how backward Nigeria is and how other countries are doing fine, even South Africa!

One of them said, he knows he would end up taking care of the old folks and cleaning their poos wouldn't be a bother to him.

It was obvious I lost the debate in the midst of youths who think of nothing but living on the streets of Harlem and London with little or no plans.

Please understand that I'm not saying travelling abroad is bad. But must it be the last resort simply because you are hungry or jobless? Must it be the only idea in one's head when you are hardly educated

I could remember asking one of the guys at the salon a particular question; 'you claim the country is bad, if we all run abroad, who will fix Nigeria for us?' His response was quite shocking and unbelievable; 'see, Mr Nigeria, I don't care. My own be say make I just comot, no look back again. To sleep gutter for yankee better pass our own gutter.' I didn't find it funny at all. I thought about his statement after leaving the salon and it was obvious that most Nigerian youths would gladly jump at the thought of travelling abroad when they have no skills or talents to sustain themselves.

If we all think of leaving the remains of Nigeria behind just because she is bad, question is; who will repair what is left of her

Most countries all over the world will have Nigerians to thank for their growth and economy. Yet, ours still stay the way it is. It is high time we understood that life itself is not a unicorn on a rainbow. If you cannot make it in Nigeria, you may never make it elsewhere in the world.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Justyoj: 9:06am On Dec 04, 2020
lie!!!

Sanchez01:

No, not at all.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Papapa1234: 9:34am On Dec 04, 2020
You just dey console yourself..your kids can’t be angry at you..this is their fathers land and they must stay to get it working just like you did five years ago..if they leave how will you uphold your beliefs on travels and immigration.
Sanchez01:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sincerely, I never thought I would visit this particular thread again. I sincerely believe I would have been miserable if I took it. My zeal and flair for journalism died when I got involved with a particular governor who used every available channel to issue death threats over an opinion of mine during the NGF/Amaechi saga (I don't want to give too much but I think the ex-governor is imprisoned now). Anyways, I have come to hate the UN and what it stands for today because it is all in the name and no action.

Since this thread was made and now, I can boldly say a lot has been achieved. I have conveniently resigned a good paying job to fully focus on programming, SEO & Data. I control my life more than ever and moving right now will be like a walk in the park for me. Strangely, I started nurtuing the idea of travelling just after the government's response to the recent protest. If not for me, I owe my kids that quality life and I wouldn't want them to look back tomorrow and curse their popsman for failing to change certain things when he could.

If I had taken the job back then, I might have been neck deep in journalism or humanitarian causes, not like I don't want to though. But then again, I believe my additions over the years puts me at an advantage. My mind is yet to be made up as to where I will be bolting to, but it is most likely the UK as I have been following its threads on Nairaland passively. Madam seems cool with it being a medical lab scientist.

Knowing what I know now, I still wouldn't have taken the opportunity if it comes up again. Not sure I can be answerable to people in the name of work or 9-5 anymore. Definitely not.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 9:56am On Dec 04, 2020
Papapa1234:
You just dey console yourself..your kids can’t be angry at you..this is their fathers land and they must stay to get it working just like you did five years ago..if they leave how will you uphold your beliefs on travels and immigration.
Not consoling myself. Nigeria is messed up beyond redemption. I could raise kids here and force their hands into becoming programmers or medical practitioners since those are some of the VERY FEW professions that are seen as valuable and in high demand in developed countries but that would be bad. I have had my fair share of Nigeria. Personally, I have been aversed to emigrating, largely because I tend to see people say life is easy on the other side. Life isn't easy anywhere and the narrative would have been different if the country isn't on a decline. Our brand of politics is not so different from that of the United States' if the last elections are anything to go by. The difference is the bloodletting and sponsored violence.

Some of you seem to get my beliefs on emigrating wrong; Mine is don't go there without an adequate skill set. Don't just travel because others are travelling when you clearly don't have any value to contribute to the society you are emigrating to. I still hold this in high esteem and nothing has changed about it. Other than Lagos, the other countries you are likely to see some members of my extended family is Canada and the UK, and they have been there for as long as 20-30 years.

I personally live my life as one who rants or fights. The rot plaguing Nigeria is deep and systemic and as much as I want Nigeria to work, I don't see it working. Our diversity isn't a blessing in any way. It is a curse that has stalled and stunted the growth of Nigeria. If I have the power to change anything, it would be to undiversify our diversity. I am tired of living as a religion or an ethnic group. Sadly, you can't live beyond these so long you are a Nigerian in Nigeria.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by privaldo: 9:57am On Dec 04, 2020
Sanchez01:

It's actually funny to see that writer of this piece has joined the bandwagon of those wanting to leave Nigeria. There is a probability that out the 170 people who liked that post, a large chunk would have relocated abroad.

5 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Karleb(m): 10:05am On Dec 04, 2020
privaldo:

It's actually funny to see that writer of this piece has joined the bandwagon of those wanting to leave Nigeria. There is a probability that out the 170 people who liked that post, a large chunk would have relocated abroad.

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 10:06am On Dec 04, 2020
Justyoj:
lie!!!

You asked me a direct question and I responded in the most sincere way possible. Between the time I created this thread way back, I have been able to make some marks, pick up skills I never dreamt I could learn and have grown. That is not to say I haven't travelled. I have but not on emigrating grounds. Strangely, the path I was so sure of that I'd toe is considered obsolete today that it barely holds value in today's world. What's worse? I have come to understand over the years that the UN is a toothless bulldog.

You are not me and you don't know my thoughts. I have revealed so much beyond what I am supposed to recently on this thread but without regrets. No regrets at all.

2 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by privaldo: 10:06am On Dec 04, 2020
Karleb:

It's actually a goodWagon.

grin grin
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by pocohantas(f): 10:12am On Dec 04, 2020
Sanchez01:

So happy to see this. I also do not fancy migrating abroad and some people will be giving me pep talk like I have no plans for my future. It is so annoying!!!!!

At a point I had to start asking friends (who I knew had the means) why they don’t want to travel abroad. They gave their reasons, quite different from yours and mine too.

How are you coping? cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 10:26am On Dec 04, 2020
pocohantas:

So happy to see this. I also do not fancy migrating abroad and some people will be giving me pep talk like I have no plans for my future. It is so annoying!!!!!

At a point I had to start asking friends (who I knew had the means) why they don’t want to travel abroad. They gave their reasons, quite different from yours and mine too.

How are you coping? cheesy
Well, I have been asked the same question repeatedly in the past and I don't blame those who do. They must have felt Nigeria does not allow for growth and success and they aren't entirely wrong.

I have never seen myself emigrating until recently when chaos erupted in Nigeria, no thanks to the way the LASG and the FG responded to youths during the EndSARS protests. I used to love Nigeria a whole lot but I am not sure anymore. I just want to leave and forget the country.

Well, to be candid, life has been super good. It is almost like a roller coaster ride. I have always fancied living on my own terms and I didn't even stay four years in the corporate world before I resigned and bounced. If I know the things I know now, I wouldn't have even bothered working at all as I would have embraced this life years before. We thank the Lord. cheesy

Are you still being stoned for not fancying emigrating?
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by pocohantas(f): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2020
Sanchez01:

Well, I have been asked the same question repeatedly in the past and I don't blame those who do. They must have felt Nigeria does not allow for growth and success and they aren't entirely wrong.

I have never seen myself emigrating until recently when chaos erupted in Nigeria, no thanks to the way the LASG and the FG responded to youths during the EndSARS protests. I used to love Nigeria a whole lot but I am not sure anymore. I just want to leave and forget the country.

Well, to be candid, life has been super good. It is almost like a roller coaster ride. I have always fancied living on my own terms and I didn't even stay four years in the corporate world before I resigned and bounced. If I know the things I know now, I wouldn't have even bothered working at all as I would have embraced this life years before. We thank the Lord. cheesy

Are you still being stoned for not fancying emigrating?

Sure, Nigeria doesn’t allow for growth, but then, some of us have our reasons and they are valid (to us at least). Ironically I don’t even love Nigeria, I wish my reason had anything to do with patriotism cheesy cheesy

Long story o. I really can’t tell you all here. Very long story...

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

Can This Happen At Nigerian Embassies? / Lady And Her Best Friend Die In Fatal Motor Accident In Abuja (Photos) / How Do I Apply For Philippines Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.