Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Edx - An Educative Online Program - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Edx - An Educative Online Program (26676 Views)

Nairalanders Attending Edx By MIT And Harvard University Connect With Us Here / Please Can Anyone Tell Me If University Of Caribean Mba Online Program Is Real? / The Educative Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
francleanflexy:
can it work on mobile phones ?

it should, but it won't be adviceable.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by popekay(m): 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
The edX aint bad o. Thanks OP. Just signed up.

You guys might also want to check out http://simer.ng/
Also an online educational platform where you can:
1.) Share what you know by creating courses

2.) Join a course and learn new things.

3.) Connect with people that share the same learning interests as you.

Totally awesome too.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by kennedyugo: 9:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
francleanflexy:
can it work on mobile phones ?
Of course. if you have a smart phone that can play online videos, you're OK.
To minimize bandwidth, some provide downloadable videos, you can convert them to smaller size online before downloading. Or if available on YouTube, you can play with lower quality.
You'll enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Alleybuy(m): 9:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
I enrolled for an environmental engineering class early this year. Tagged along for two weeks before dropping out. If u've got lots of time and motivation/ passion. This is for you. Hope this helps
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Cliqloaded(m): 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Next topic... Kip it up nairaland
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
englishmart: Hehehe. If I school online, how I wan take meet all those fine girls Wey full our universities?

embarassed grin
I pity u

1 Like

Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by ayodeleakinadew(m): 10:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Hello peeps. It would be bad of me to keep this in and not share it, i came across the great website through a colleague, he adviced me to check out the site instead of browsing the internet, chatting, facebooking and practically doing nothing meaningful.

What is edX?
EdX is a massive open online course (MOOC) provider and online learning platform. It hosts online university-level courses in a wide range of disciplines to a worldwide audience at no charge. It also conducts research into learning based on how people use its platform. EdX differs from other MOOC platforms, such Coursera and Udacity, in that it is nonprofit and runs on an open-source software platform.

EdX was founded by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University in May 2012. There are currently 56 schools, nonprofits, corporations, and international organizations that offer or plan to offer courses on the edX website. As of 22 July 2014, edX has more than 2.5 million users taking over 240 courses online.

EdX courses consist of weekly learning sequences. Each learning sequence is composed of short (an average of 10 minutes each) videos interspersed with interactive learning exercises where students can immediately practice the concepts from the videos. The courses often include tutorial videos that are similar to small on-campus discussion groups, an online textbook, and an online discussion forum where students can post and review questions and comments to each other and teaching assistants. Where applicable, online laboratories are incorporated into the course. For example, in edX's first MOOC—a circuits and electronics course—students built virtual circuits in an online lab.

EdX offers certificates of successful completion, but does not offer course credit. Whether or not a college or university offers credit for an online course is within the sole discretion of the school. EdX offers a variety of ways to take courses, including verified courses where students have the option to audit the course (no cost) or to work toward an edX verified certificate (fees vary by course), honor code courses where students can either audit (no cost) or work toward an honor code certificate (no cost). In addition, in the fall of 2013, edX launched a pilot project to offer a special certificate in a subject area (called "XSeries Certificate"wink after completing a bundled set of 3-4 verified courses in that subject (cost varies depending on the courses).
Culled from Wikipedia

Advantages
Apart from the numerous advantages cited above, from my own perspective I see this as a very wonderful setup, it's free, consist of lot of courses across all the fields of life.
The course content is given at the beginning of the week, you have videos and handout to support what you are being taught, you can even download the resources and that can be added to your personal library.
And then there are quizzes and tests at a particular time and you have the exam.

It will be an added advantage to you as you have more educational qualifications to yourself and it also shows you make use of your free time wisely.

It's free, you can access the website anytime you like within the week, they are being partnered by top world-class universities like Harvard University, MIT.

This and lot more. Try it out and you won't regret it.

Website
https://www.edx.org/

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
― Dr. Seuss,
“The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.”
― Voltaire
“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”
― Isaac Asimov

Whao! This is great. I am checking it out immidiately. Thank you!
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:56pm On Sep 25, 2014
ayodeleakinadew:

Whao! This is great. I am checking it out immidiately. Thank you!

uwc.
If u encounter any prob, lemme know
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by millennium2012: 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2014
am currently running entrepreneurship there. its cool though. hav also tried Computer science. we even used google glass and VM ware as some of the teaching appliances.

www.nocaldigitals.com
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by JustME7(m): 11:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
guys, also try this
http://www.alison.com
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Austyn44(m): 11:48pm On Sep 25, 2014
i have gained alot from these online courses, i ll advise everyone to try it out cos the knowledge to be gained is worth the stress. 7 courses on coursea and still counting. i will try and check out edX too.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by hayubee(m): 11:56pm On Sep 25, 2014
Just registered to study philosophy!
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Superstar007(m): 12:15am On Sep 26, 2014
Bookmarked. Will take courses when I have a stable internet connection and good data plan. No knowledge is wasted.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:17am On Sep 26, 2014
hayubee: Just registered to study philosophy!

nice one
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:18am On Sep 26, 2014
Superstar007: Bookmarked. Will take courses when I have a stable internet connection and good data plan. No knowledge is wasted.

Yeah. Love that.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by franconian: 12:21am On Sep 26, 2014
I have been using coursera, never heard of this.

Okay.... I just checked it out. It looks great but I think courera is still a better option for me.

OP thanks anyways!
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:24am On Sep 26, 2014
franconian: I have been using coursera, never heard of this.

Okay.... I just checked it out. It looks great but I think courera is still a better option for me.

OP thanks anyways!

Uwc.
Seems i will this coursera out.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by tk4rd: 12:50am On Sep 26, 2014
CERTIFICATES.!!!
Do they give certificates.?
Is it diploma or degree certificate they offer.?
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by rocoh(m): 3:26am On Sep 26, 2014
God bless you.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by englishmart(m): 6:02am On Sep 26, 2014
jcmaiah:
I pity u
don't be silly.

Pity for yourself. Coz I am not interested in your pity.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Niftyrules(m): 6:12am On Sep 26, 2014
edx.org is a good MOOC and I've really enjoyed attending a virtual school and this had really help me in achieving it.
Currently, I am offering an english course.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Niftyrules(m): 6:25am On Sep 26, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Hello peeps. It would be bad of me to keep this in and not share it, i came across the great website through a colleague, he adviced me to check out the site instead of browsing the internet, chatting, facebooking and practically doing nothing meaningful.

What is edX?
EdX is a massive open online course (MOOC) provider and online learning platform. It hosts online university-level courses in a wide range of disciplines to a worldwide audience at no charge. It also conducts research into learning based on how people use its platform. EdX differs from other MOOC platforms, such Coursera and Udacity, in that it is nonprofit and runs on an open-source software platform.

EdX was founded by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University in May 2012. There are currently 56 schools, nonprofits, corporations, and international organizations that offer or plan to offer courses on the edX website. As of 22 July 2014, edX has more than 2.5 million users taking over 240 courses online.

EdX courses consist of weekly learning sequences. Each learning sequence is composed of short (an average of 10 minutes each) videos interspersed with interactive learning exercises where students can immediately practice the concepts from the videos. The courses often include tutorial videos that are similar to small on-campus discussion groups, an online textbook, and an online discussion forum where students can post and review questions and comments to each other and teaching assistants. Where applicable, online laboratories are incorporated into the course. For example, in edX's first MOOC—a circuits and electronics course—students built virtual circuits in an online lab.

EdX offers certificates of successful completion, but does not offer course credit. Whether or not a college or university offers credit for an online course is within the sole discretion of the school. EdX offers a variety of ways to take courses, including verified courses where students have the option to audit the course (no cost) or to work toward an edX verified certificate (fees vary by course), honor code courses where students can either audit (no cost) or work toward an honor code certificate (no cost). In addition, in the fall of 2013, edX launched a pilot project to offer a special certificate in a subject area (called "XSeries Certificate"wink after completing a bundled set of 3-4 verified courses in that subject (cost varies depending on the courses).
Culled from Wikipedia

Advantages
Apart from the numerous advantages cited above, from my own perspective I see this as a very wonderful setup, it's free, consist of lot of courses across all the fields of life.
The course content is given at the beginning of the week, you have videos and handout to support what you are being taught, you can even download the resources and that can be added to your personal library.
And then there are quizzes and tests at a particular time and you have the exam.

It will be an added advantage to you as you have more educational qualifications to yourself and it also shows you make use of your free time wisely.

It's free, you can access the website anytime you like within the week, they are being partnered by top world-class universities like Harvard University, MIT.

This and lot more. Try it out and you won't regret it.

Website
https://www.edx.org/

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
― Dr. Seuss,
“The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.”
― Voltaire
“Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is.”
― Isaac Asimov

Good work bro,you've done what I almost wanted to do before. Am also a registered student at edx.org good work bro no one would have done it better.

1 Like

Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Debayurr: 6:47am On Sep 26, 2014
LogoDWhiz:

You'll love it.
Lots of courses and the explanations are detailed.
Seasoned tutors.
Thank God sum1 finally came up with this topic mhen. I had a training sometimes last year and my instructor actually briefed me about the site. Buh the problem is that,am not used to all this online courseware and always have this feeling in my head that I need an internet connection for my laptop on a 24/7 basis to run the program..my question exactly is, do u think otherwise like its possible I can complete the program with mere mobile phone(e.g Bold5) without gettin stuck on the way cos I rilly can't keep up with PC subscription as am unemployed ryt now *sad face*
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by neejay1986(m): 9:19am On Sep 26, 2014
Thanks Op! I'm finding this interesting. Please, how do I choose the course I want to offer? I've seen the course I want to put in for though, after clicking on the course I don't know what to do again. Please help!!!
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by danaz(m): 9:28am On Sep 26, 2014
edx is an excellent way to learn i tell you.
Great courses, great resource persons
My only challenge is to get a steady internet connection.
Its a great way to use your spare time
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 26, 2014
englishmart: don't be silly.

Pity for yourself. Coz I am not interested in your pity.
I still dey pity you.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by englishmart(m): 11:27am On Sep 26, 2014
jcmaiah:
I still dey pity you.
ok, I don hear.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 26, 2014
englishmart: ok, I don hear.

Lol... good! If na like dis APC dey do things for don better sinceee.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by thelastmediator: 11:36am On Sep 26, 2014
I have a certificate on Big data and social physics, currently on intro to linux. I will be glad to meet someone taking linux too so we can share ideas.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by englishmart(m): 11:41am On Sep 26, 2014
jcmaiah:

Lol... good! If na like dis APC dey do things for don better sinceee.
you want make buhari's
E-Agents rush you abi?

cheesy
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by gbadexy(m): 11:55am On Sep 26, 2014
A very informative thread. I will try and do some courses here to upgrade my knowledge.
Re: Edx - An Educative Online Program by jurist21(m): 12:16pm On Sep 26, 2014
SirElaw: Cool. After getting a degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering, I might just be using my NYSC year to get a degree in Law. It won't be easy, but I'll give it a try.
how do I register for courses on the site I already have an account there.
please help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn French? / Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel / Man Picks Boy Sent Out Of School In Awka And Decides To Train Him (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.