Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,279 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel (26679 Views)

5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / The Deplorable State Of A Hostel In UNN / How Tattered A Room In OAU Hostel Is (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by iceboy4752(m): 6:22pm On May 04, 2018
Squatting in its literal context can mean bending one's body. However, an average Nigerian may define squatting as living in a room with someone, illegitimately without paying for it.

Students in Tertiary institutions are well-acquainted with this connotation.

I will narrate what happened to me while I was squatting with a 'friend,' and I hope this story will urge you to face the bull by its horn and pay for an accommodation, no matter how cost it may be.

On April 7th, I came back to my room in the hostel. I met three of my room occupants, discussing alongside my 'friend,' something about me. They immediately switched the topic and started discussing about the examinations which were fast approaching. I noticed this, but I pretended I didn't. I wished I could know what they were discussing but I couldn't.

Suddenly, a bright idea struck my mind. I brought out my little Tecno 'torchlight' device and clicked on the sound recorder. I connected the phone to a charger and covered it with some clothes. Satisfied, i gave myself a mischievous smile and left.

Twenty minutes later, I came into the room and took my phone away. I went to the school's Pre-Degree Block, which has long been known for its extant tranquility. I bought out my earphone and played what i recorded. What i heard from my 'friend' was too repugnant and eerie for me to digest. He said I was bothering his life and that he wants me to get an admission for I took another UTME Examination with the motive of changing my course and institution. He also said that I haven't benefited him in anyway in his life.

The words crashed on my ears with so much weight that i felt like they would pull-off my ears from my body. I began thinking of how I've help him financially, physically and even to evade his emotional traumas, that they were too unlimited to count. I never did anything wrong to him, yet I was a nuisance to his life. What also fueled my disappointment was the ostensible compliment he made about me the previous day; he said he was going to miss me so much that he wish I won't leave the school.

Dear Nairalanders, even if you have friends or relatives who are willing to squat with you, it's better to pay for your own accommodation. A friend today may end up messing up your life tomorrow. Some may even do worse than what happened to me.

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Amirullaha(m): 6:27pm On May 04, 2018
Not all friends act that way...
Tho it depend on the way you act towards him and the other occupants in the room...
Most especially if you have bar!!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by finest0007(m): 7:25pm On May 04, 2018
In my opinion it's way better to get a place of yours. I squatted with my Cousin and kid brother but we all lived in peace. Blood made it easy to overlook faults. Neighbours who had squatters had serious issues here and there. Its also easy to see people as burdens when they're squatting with you & being a nuisance.
I'm squatting in school hostel and issues abound. I can relate. People must talk

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by chiommy123(f): 7:41pm On May 04, 2018
I understand what you are saying but if you can not afford your own room kindly stay with someone. op people gossip about others all the time. in churches, offices, homes, etc. will I also resign because someone 'gossiped' with my name? Hell no instead that person is going to leave because of me.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by PlsBanMe: 8:22pm On May 04, 2018
Don't behave as if you knew what they discuss. Just send the audio clip to him via WhatsApp. He will be too ashamed that he will most probably apologize. Or,you may play the clip when you are with him. Tell him one of the guys he was discussing with (without disclosing any name) actually recoded it and gave it to you. That way, you will cause your enemies to start fighting themselves. grin

178 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by calculator123(m): 10:26pm On May 04, 2018
Shit happens..That doesn't make squatting nad.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by daewoorazer(m): 4:02am On May 05, 2018

You even get time dey record what he has to say?

Now you’d let that determine which course to study because I know right now you must be wishing your UTME come out well so you can leave the school...

Can you pretend like you don’t care? Events like these are signs of greatness as it would propel you to make success a must, that’s if you understand...

Iv been in worst shoes and such events were my greatest strides fueled by determination Wch stemmed from such...there is an energy in you right now, harness it into being better such that 20 years after when you look back, all you can is smile...

With love from here cheesy

35 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Hardewarlee(m): 9:24am On May 05, 2018
What happens to Taiye might Never happen to Kehinde ... Carry your cross broda

Don’t bother quote me because I’m too busy to reply

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by NwaAmaikpe: 9:25am On May 05, 2018
shocked

It's inevitable;
Everyone gets to squat one way or the other. Even if it's for a few hours.
Even the rich squat too.

It's just sad that you didn't add value to your host.
Your friend won't tell his friends all of that about you if they weren't true.
You were simply a leech and I'd have said the same about you too.

Your friend must be commended for being gentleman enough to pour out his displeasure to his friends rather than kicking you out to the curb.

RULE OF SQUATTING: SQT 101
Make yourself less of a burden to your host by ensuring your stay springs a symbiotic relationship.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Studentcosmos(m): 9:25am On May 05, 2018
If you keep listening to what everyone is saying about you behind the scene, my brother, you might just be on your way to committing suicide. Some things are better left unheard. Don't you know even parents sometimes speak ill of some of their kids behind them. Just ignore some things jare and follow your heart.

One of the challenges students face at school, either as a freshman or senior is coping with a new roommate. This is one area students find awkward and difficult. They have to stay under the same roof with a total stranger. Someone whose background, habits, character and ideas is totally different from theirs. If not properly handled, it could affect them academically, morally and physically. Here are effective steps to coping with a new roommate which will guide you all through your study years:......www.studentcosmos.com/effective-coping-new-roommate/

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by kurt09(m): 9:25am On May 05, 2018
iceboy4752:
Squatting in its literal context can mean bending one's body. However, an average Nigerian may define squatting as living in a room with someone, illegitimately without paying for it.

Students in Tertiary institutions are well-acquainted with this connotation.

I will narrate what happened to me while I was squatting with a 'friend,' and I hope this story will urge you to face the bull by its horn and pay for an accommodation, no matter how cost it may be.

On April 7th, I came back to my room in the hostel. I met three of my room occupants, discussing alongside my 'friend,' something about me. They immediately switched the topic and started discussing about the examinations which were fast approaching. I noticed this, but I pretended I didn't. I wished I could know what they were discussing but I couldn't.

Suddenly, a bright idea struck my mind. I brought out my little Tecno 'torchlight' device and clicked on the sound recorder. I connected the phone to a charger and covered it with some clothes. Satisfied, i gave myself a mischievous smile and left.

Twenty minutes later, I came into the room and took my phone away. I went to the school's Pre-Degree Block, which has long been known for its extant tranquility. I bought out my earphone and played what i recorded. What i heard from my 'friend' was too repugnant and eerie for me to digest. He said I was bothering his life and that he wants me to get an admission for I took another UTME Examination with the motive of changing my course and institution. He also said that I haven't benefited him in anyway in his life.

The words crashed on my ears with so much weight that i felt like they would pull-off my ears from my body. I began thinking of how I've help him financially, physically and even to evade his emotional traumas, that they were too unlimited to count. I never did anything wrong to him, yet I was a nuisance to his life. What also fueled my disappointment was the ostensible compliment he made about me the previous day; he said he was going to miss me so much that he wish I won't leave the school.

Dear Nairalanders, even if you have friends or relatives who are willing to squat with you, it's better to pay for your own accommodation. A friend today may end up messing up your life tomorrow. Some may even do worse than what happened to me.

Till grateful to Uniben for allowing us to squat in peace. I will build hostel for them soon.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by NLevents: 9:26am On May 05, 2018
Never liked hostel life

Few days to the Nairaland party 4.0

why would you want to miss out on so much fun ? Visit thread for more details

https://www.nairaland.com/4483935/nairaland-get-together-party-4.0

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Nobody: 9:29am On May 05, 2018
Situations like you described happen even between roommates paying the rent equally, it's not a new thing. It's when you go looking for something that you find it, even the Bible says "do not pay attention to every word people say or you may hear your servants cursing you"

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by aristocrazzy: 9:30am On May 05, 2018
I've been squatted by my bro while I was looking for admission in unizik and then when he graduated I had to look Lodge for myself so at that time of Lodge-searchin I actually had to stay with my close friend..
Long story short, this friend actually used me since he knew that I had money in my account (for accommodation oo!) he set me up with a girl and she druged me and stole my atm card. I still don't know how he knew my code oo. He cleared my account not even 2k remain for me.
This happened last year, I didn't know it was my friend all this while until I caught the Girl after series of intterogation from school security she finally confessed everything. This dude used my money to buy Samsung phone and plasma TV 38". Now he is beggin me. E don be for am, cos I go collect all my money plus damages.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Nobody: 9:30am On May 05, 2018
Anybody that had the chance to gain admission into Oau ife will know squatting over there is like dividing half your life into two

You can never be 100% comfortable unless you deceiving yourself.
it will speak well either on your health / results and others.

My part 2 days was hell.

Which affected my results then because I just had to do things at the guy's conveniency time.

You can't even spend on yourself without the person squatting you raising eyebrows "

Try buy new trouser or anything.

"Face go be like u get money to buy,u nofit pay for a room.
you own me everything face "

By part 3.
I just had to leave campus by force to get a private room.

all na story sha..We thank God.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Canadamigrate: 9:30am On May 05, 2018
Not in Canada
Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Lizilicious(f): 9:31am On May 05, 2018
This pipo say abt it heir roommate scares even the devil himself...
My former roomie almost told the whole neighborhood she pays the rent alone and also feeds me.., I almost died wen a gal insulted me with that..
Anyways, I got over it and got my own place..
It ain't easy squatting with someone who is not ur blood jare

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Maxcollins042(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2018
The truth is that you should secure your own accomodattion because later if not sooner, that friend housing you will start complaining. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Darkseid(m): 9:36am On May 05, 2018
Don't write him off yet. He said those things doesn't mean he doesn't want the best for you. Just like me, I hate staying with people and I also hate people staying with me, he might not want you around but doesn't want to hurt your feelings.
One of my closest cousins came to live with me during his first year in school, I was is third year then. I didn't want him to because I'm a very private person but I just had to manage. Every little mistake he made provoked me and even though I didn't want to pour everything out on him, talking to my friends about it helped take it off my mind. I later asked him to move out in his second year and even paid half of his rent.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Nobody: 9:37am On May 05, 2018
Expect more of that from people, my humble advice
Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Ramos16(m): 9:39am On May 05, 2018
PlsBanMe:
Don't behave as if you knew what they discuss. Just send the audio clip to him via WhatsApp. He will be too ashamed that he will most probably apologize. Or,you may play the clip when you are with him. Tell him one of the guys he was discussing with actually recoded it and gave it to you. That way, you will cause hatred amongst your enemies. grin

What makes you think he would be ashamed of his actions. Moving out and cutting all ties is the best option, also, why make enemies when you can have "friends", the OP still stands to benefit in the future from this dude, lastly, revenge is best served cold, imagine a situation where the OP has the upper hand and his "friend" needs his help?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Nobody: 9:39am On May 05, 2018
small pikin.

you better find a hole to crawl into because people in every aspect of your life will talk bad about you
be it friends, co worker, bosses, parents, siblings, significant others
recording what they have to say about you is pathetic

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by omobs(m): 9:41am On May 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It's inevitable;
Even the rich squat too.

Make yourself less of a burden to your host by ensuring your stay springs a symbiotic relationship.

Wow, that's awesome, quote of the day

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Olatara(f): 9:41am On May 05, 2018
PlsBanMe:
Don't behave as if you knew what they discuss. Just send the audio clip to him via WhatsApp. He will be too ashamed that he will most probably apologize. Or,you may play the clip when you are with him. Tell him one of the guys he was discussing with actually recoded it and gave it to you. That way, you will cause hatred amongst your enemies. grin
Kia! you are wicked

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Ramos16(m): 9:44am On May 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

It's inevitable;
Even the rich squat too.

What you've said does not line up with what the OP has said, it does only if you believe the OP was lying .

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by Yuneehk(f): 9:46am On May 05, 2018
I can not squat with anyone. You can't have a say in anything, you can't cook whatever meal you want to, you can't sleep as you'd like simply because you didn't pay for it and someone is just accommodating you. You inconvenience a person even if he/she doesnt say it aloud. They'll surely complain to someone how you eat their food anyhow, how you take up the bigger side of the bed, you cant even fart in peace grin

In my first year in the university, I had to "live" with my elder cousin and it wasn't a funny experience. Entering second year, my dad said I'd stay with her just so I don't go "astray" and I had to put my foot down to say No.
There's nothing like your own. You do as you like without owing anyone explanations for it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by balogundayo(m): 9:46am On May 05, 2018
I was given a 2 bedroom flat all to myself by an oju aye family friend in my 1st year in OOU... It was a private fenced bungalow that had 2 flats,the old landlord and his wife occupied the front so I stayed at the back...

Jeez! It was the worst 2 years of my life in there... Not the cooking type (cos I was never allowed in the kitchen growing up) really affected my spending habits..

Wasn't allowed to have friends over... No generator... No sleeping out.. Must be in by 7..the F**k!
He stopped my girlfriend from coming over after his wife convinced him i nearly killed my babe with sex on her first night in my place... Said her moans and screams got her scared and unable to sleep... Imagine...

His wife was such a pain in my ass, she used her access keys to my room sometimes whenever I was out and search through my shiit.. I would be sick for days inside my apartment and no one would know if it... No form of love and treatment... Mum came down saw how I had reduced to have my size... She felt really bad about it and had me hospitalised...

I wasn't going to have none of it anymore... I told them plus my family to their face blatantly I wasn't living there anymore, threatened my family I wasnt schooling anymore if I didn't get my own place and live a normal student life without have prying eyes over me everywhere... All this cos I'm an only child...

Now I live alone I love the life... I can have as many friends over as I want and for as many days as I deem fit and go over to them too.. Food is not a problem cos my girlfriend spoils me with homemade delicacies... My life is more regulated now that I can take control of it...

Don't make your Kids go through demoralisation in the name of not getting spoilt... It's stupid...

8 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Squat In A Hostel by uzedo1(m): 9:46am On May 05, 2018
In 2baba's voice:- if nobody talks about you then you are nobody

I have come to the realization that even if you do good people will still talk bad about you..

Just be happy that you have influenced his life positively, forget what ever they said.. No time for holding grudges..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn French? / Scrap The Useless ASUU - Bashir, El-Rufai’s Son / Which Are The Best Five Universities In Southeast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.