Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? (3549 Views)

Driver's Wife Delivers Quadruplets In Lagos / Husband Flees After Wife Delivers Triplets / Your Mother-in-law Or Your Mother: Who Stays After Your Wife Delivers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:30pm On Nov 09, 2008
michelin89:

@ topic

I don't wish to have such a baby. Thanks to the improvement in science, such kids can be detected earlier and expelled!

I don't want a baby that will never grow!

OMG!! You never cease to amaze me. Infact I'm gonna open a michelin Can I meet you thread. grin

I have read through this thread and I must say everybody is here talkng i will love the kid and blah blah!!

My girlfriend needed to research on autism for a family friend and had to visit a care center, so I tagged along just to keep her company. I swear that I was in shock. Peoples, let me tell you guys that it is definitely not beans taking care of a special child. The effort you put nto these children are like multiplied by 10 what you put into a normal child.
The irony of this thread is that the ladies here all going I will love and whateva the child are the same peeps who were screaming that they would not give up their careers to be a stay at home mum, not even for the kids. Yep!! I remember some of you, but I wouldnt name names.

@ Topic

I hope not but if shit happens, omo na one special home get am o!! Cos I would never look at that child the same way I would my normal kids. Special children have a very high tendency to be very violent, restless and very difficult to deal with.
Jeez!! Do most of you know what you are talking about?? I know a woman who cries all the time cos of her special kid.

If what michelin said is true, then abortion it is.

I hope I havent offended anyone, but this is just my honest opinion. I wasnt built to handle that kind of responsibility.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Gamine(f): 1:40pm On Nov 09, 2008
Aah Well.

This is a tough one though.

I have a Friend whose Older Brother is Autistic,

There is no where they didnt take him to, you know for a Cure

Its really very tough,

Theres also this Family in my Parents church, who has a Downs Syndrome girl

it wasnt pretty, the way she was taunted, but i think she got by well.

But, right now, i still dont think i would terminate such a child.

its not an easy decision, but if there is NO hope at all, i may have to

its saddening, really. sad sad sad sad
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2008
rrr
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2008
chaircover:

incorrect infiormation! How many congenital disorders are diagnosed during pregnancy?

A down baby can be detected during pregnancy.

@ topic
Na "make them nor say I wicked" dey make some girls talk like this. Me I nor send. I nor fit pretend say I go love the pikin because I nor go do.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by KarmaMod(f): 7:39pm On Nov 09, 2008
chaircover:

incorrect infiormation! How many congenital disorders are diagnosed during pregnancy?

Many. What do you think aminothesis is done for?

As usual, I agree with michelin.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 09, 2008
chaircover:

You also need to take a trip to your local ferility clinic too and see the despair & hopelesness written on peoples faces.

So rather than having none at all, make I accept a damaged baby

Ahahahhaha! I know say na your type go dey take the pikin for every deliverance available.

I am wise, I'll spare myself all that stress.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2008
michelin89:

So rather than having none at all, make I accept a damaged baby

michelin89:

Ahahahhaha! I know say na your type go dey take the pikin for every deliverance available.

And one pastor will dilightfully milk them of all their money with false prophecies.

michelin89:

Na "make them nor say I wicked" dey make some girls talk like this. Me I nor send. I nor fit pretend say I go love the pikin because I nor go do.

This is my favorite of all, especially the portion highlighted in red.

Please, stop posting here. Cos every post you type only makes me fall in love with you even more. Gosh!! Talk about an honest answer.

@ All

You will never love that child like you think you will. You will actually resent the child especially if you get to have normal kids before or after that child. I'd rather not be a father to that child than be a wicked father.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by biolabee(m): 10:59pm On Nov 09, 2008
she's back!!!!!,

mich where hv u been missed ur views on NL
was it school or work
anyhw welcome back

On the issue of a special child its sth u dont pray for but if it happens so many things can come into play

1. Knowledge and ability to take care of the child
2. No of existing children
3. Opportunities available for the child

mohawk ur views onthis topic are quite profound, if u are thinking of comin back home im sure its an area u can make a diff
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Outstrip(f): 11:31pm On Nov 09, 2008
Cluelessness all over this thread it is almost suffocating. There are many diseases that you will not detect before the child is born and autism is one of them. I cannot say that I will judge a woman who knows a child will suffer and chooses not to carry to term. There was this little girl in Phillie who was confined to a wheelchair and had many health issues. She died and she was found with sores in her body that had maggots in it. She basically died from a mother's neglect and I am glad that a judge did honorable thing and the mother, social worker and other family members who knew of the treaetment of this helpless girl will pay dearly. Somebody loves them and cares for their rights. We thank God for such people.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by KarmaMod(f): 12:26am On Nov 10, 2008
autism is one of the few that you cant find during gestation BECAUSE it shows up around age 3 and majority of the cases have to do with mercury immunization.

If a woman find out that she's pregnant with a kid that will eventually has problems, she has the right to terminate it without people looking down on the person. The same people doing the put downs and all that WONT be there to help the mother out if she goes ahead and keeps it
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by DavidDylan(m): 12:28am On Nov 10, 2008
KarmaMod:

autism is one of the few that you can't find during gestation BECAUSE it shows up around age 3 and majority of the cases have to do with mercury immunization.

If a woman find out that she's pregnant with a kid that will eventually has problems, she has the right to terminate it without people looking down on the person. The same people doing the put downs and all that WONT be there to help the mother out if she goes ahead and keeps it

turns out these are loose associations. There is no evidence that mercury is solely responsible for autism.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by mohawkchic(f): 12:38am On Nov 10, 2008
~I cannot stress enough that assuming the Challenges & Responsibilities of looking after any disabled child is Easy!! -The reality is depending on the severity of the disability,you suffer an emotional feeling of loss,shock,you question your faith{religion} You feel guilty,angry,you want to blame someone-something, then there's the disbelief of the choices you're faced with!!questioning why this happened to you & your child, Then the panic or fear hits home . . . "will I be able to cope?!!" You think of all the things your child wont be able to do,the quality of life they'll have to live!! All these thoughts are overwhelming & enough to make any parent want so badly to wake up from a very bad dream!!

~The pressure & stress of dealing with a disabled child/ren have broken marriages / relationships, depression for some parents!! Yet there are the choosen ones that will go through this,cope through this,experience all these feelings . . .they prolly didnt know they had it in them to do it but they did!!

*To judge or have prejudice against disability or the people who think they can take on those challenges regardless is wrong!!It will be their choice just as much as it is your choice to take whatever decision you see fit!!

~If most of these parents given the choice,had a chance to choose & make all the difference before they had these children, trust me NONE of them would rather choose a disabled child over a healthy child!!If the question here was "Would you like to give birth to a disabled child?" Who would say yes?!!

* Will it make a significant difference if one had a perfectly healthy child then due to some freak of nature ends up having a child with some form of disability? This happens a lot more than you'd think!!Could be an accident or after ill-health!

* Will your views be the same? How much of a difference will the challenges make then from the babies born with disabilities?

* Will You be able to put hand on heart & say you'll NOt continue to Love,Care & give the best support necessary for that child anymore?

~Most pregnant women wait for that moment to hold their babies in their hands!! To be faced with the challenges & responsibilities of a disability & for some parents the heartache of not been able to cope or give that child the best life they possibly can!!

~There's a saying "God never gives us a load we can't carry" . . . some of us go through life using this as a stepping stone through each of life's challenges . . how many times have you said "I can't do this" Yet somehow someway,you find the strength to get by!! Thats my outlook on life!!

~I suppose its alright from the outside looking in to have prejudice,speculate & question our choices,we have a chance here to really search our hearts & ask that all important question "What Will I Do" if ever we're faced with it but some of these parents prolly never gave any thought or had an incline they'll be faced with that decision so instead of questing other poeple's choices lets not railroad the reality of the suitation!! Whether we like it or not,want it or not,there are kids born with some form of disability everyday,some abandoned,some loved & cared for!! They didnt get to make that choice to be here but us as the parents, get to make that all important choice of accept that child for what they are . . . Human Beings!!Your Flesh & Blood!!
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by omoge(f): 12:53am On Nov 10, 2008
the outlook on disablity in western world seems better than nigeria. i was taking a class at the engineering dept in my sch. one of the prof there has only one hand. . . he is from north africa and left his home country because of discrimination against him. he got PHD in mathematics and can drive a car. i had the chance to stop by his office. . . i was there with a problem but we went offtopic and i had the chance to listen to his story. it made me cry if only we will have a good outlook on life and its shortcomings in Africa.

It is time we african change our views about those with disablity. don't just throw the baby away, do all you can. even if you decide to go put the kids in a home, still take time to visit, that's love too.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by mohawkchic(f): 3:05am On Nov 10, 2008
biolabee:

mohawk ur views onthis topic are quite profound, if u are thinking of comin back home I'm sure its an area u can make a diff

~Thanks for the vote of confidence,i hope to make a difference!!
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by KarmaMod(f): 3:53am On Nov 10, 2008
To judge or have prejudice against disability or the people who think they can take on those challenges regardless is wrong!!It will be their choice just as much as it is your choice to take whatever decision you see fit!!

I don't see any prejudice against people saying they can deal with it. What I and a few others see is those talking against those who say THEY WONT WANT to deal with such. The OP asked for people's opinions on the matter yet people are telling others that the fact that they wouldnt want to deal with such are "evil and heartless"
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:15am On Nov 10, 2008
KarmaMod:

I don't see any prejudice against people saying they can deal with it. What I and a few others see is those talking against those who say THEY WONT WANT to deal with such. The OP asked for people's opinions on the matter yet people are telling others that the fact that they wouldnt want to deal with such is "evil and heartless"

My point exactly.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Nov 10, 2008
Okija_juju:

And one pastor will dilightfully milk them of all their money with false prophecies.

When they don even dey convince parents to abbandon very healthy children because them say them be winch.

This is my favorite of all, especially the portion highlighted in red.
Please, stop posting here. because every post you type only makes me fall in love with you even more. Gosh!! Talk about an honest answer.

Bare with me, doh! grin

biolabee:

she's back!!!!!,

mich where hv u been missed ur views on NL
was it school or work
anyhw welcome back

1. Physically I am, but I am yet to acertain my mental presence. grin
2. I went on a school trip. Got back a couple of days ago.
I missed you all too. However I never knew someone could find my disturbing posts so interesting. grin tongue
3. School, but it might also be considered my occupation though it's not a source of income.
4. Thank you very much.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Angolobabe(f): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2008
i will love and care for my child abnormal or not,its a motherĀ“s nature,unconditional love for her child no matter the out come.its God that gives children and we cant determine how they will turn out to be.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by Akinagirl(f): 4:45am On Nov 13, 2008
I believe if the mother knows that the child will have mental or physical problems before the child is born, then i don't see a reason why she should have to carry it to term. I rather get rid of the baby, than to resent the child and neglect the child. It is really expensive this day in age to take care of a child with mental disabilities and such. However the decision would be extremely difficult.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by toiletRol: 4:47am On Nov 13, 2008
is she the only one involved in conception? Soime questions fingers the person asking it as nothing but a fool, this is one of such questions.
Re: If Your Wife Delivers An Abnormal Child What'll Be Your Action? by StarFlux: 3:43pm On Mar 17, 2012
michelin89: @ topic

I don't wish to have such a baby. Thanks to the improvement in science, such kids can be detected earlier and expelled!

I don't want a baby that will never grow!
pleas, rethink what youre saying.

(1) (2) (Reply)

At 46yrs, Is It Late For Him To Start A Family? / What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? / Sorted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.