Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,903 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? (3515 Views)

Research Shows Yorubas As The Most Sought-after For Inter-tribal Marriage / Inter Tribal Marriage Among Nigerians. / Have You Ever Had An Inter-Tribal/Racial/Religious Relationship Or Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by adeiza4u(m): 11:31pm On Feb 21, 2020
Just as the topic implies, are there any?
Or better still, what are the disadvantages of Inter-tribal Marriage in Nigeria context?
I need ur opinions please.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by 72Morale: 11:32pm On Feb 21, 2020
The only major problem of inter-tribal marriage is the fact that Nigeria is not a united nation but a county filled with tribalistic lots pretending to be united.

It's easier for a man to fit in such marriages, but a very risky move for women because no Nigerian parents will wholeheartedly support their son from marrying a woman from another tribe. They might act cool, but deep within, they don't like it.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by Oluneutral: 11:46pm On Feb 21, 2020
@op, ordinarily, there shouldn't be any problem just like the above poster opined. In a country where there is true love and unity, where there is unity in diversity, marrying from another tribe should be a welcome development. But as it is, we're only pretending to be united, so, little things like cultural differences, language differences and traditional differences are bound to cause unnecessary chaos and tension in inter tribal marriage, especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by Bola146(f): 6:08am On Feb 22, 2020
Many, especially the tradition, family background and language

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by spongeisback: 6:31am On Feb 22, 2020
The way you guys confidently come online to say things with no truth is crazy!!! How can you say NO Nigerian parent will support it wholeheartedly?! Are you in every Nigerian family? The family my sister is married into all the men are married to different tribes and the parents LOVE IT. She has never complained of any ill treatment. She personally started learning the language because she wanted to nobody forced her or cared.

72Morale:
The only major problem of inter-tribal marriage is the fact that Nigeria is not a united nation but a county filled with tribalistic lots pretending to be united.

It's easier for a man to fit in such marriages, but a very risky move for women because no Nigerian parents will wholeheartedly support their son from marrying a woman from another tribe. They might act cool, but deep within, they don't like it.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by adeiza4u(m): 11:39pm On Feb 22, 2020
72Morale:

Yeah but I don't think that is general. There always exceptional cases you know.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by ahnie: 12:04am On Feb 23, 2020
In my case ..none for now.
My husband is an Igbo man... whilst yours truly is isoko.

As for the issue of languages....i'm very versatile when it comes to that.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by AmuDimpka: 12:37am On Feb 23, 2020
That is the worst even the bible warned isreal never to marry outside isreal

Others are
. Too much cultural baggage
.. Intercultural dramas and troubles
... inability to communicate
....different cultural perspective
.....high divorce rate
.....giving birth to confused kids that wouldn't know which tribe they are from
..... inability for the kids to speak language
......one parent make a jest of other parent tribe

Stupidity is inter tribal marriage
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by GboyegaD(m): 5:09am On Feb 23, 2020
The major challenges are cultural differences and language barrier. If both are willing to work it out, it is awesome. My parents are an example. My dad doesn't care about culture and so it made it easy and for language, they adopted English and the Pidgin variant at the start to make communication easy.

I tell my friends, I adopted a tribe outside of my parents tribe and everyone is cool with it. First, I'm Nigerian and then my choice tribe follows.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by adeiza4u(m): 10:58am On Feb 25, 2020
ahnie:
In my case ..none for now.
My husband is an Igbo man... whilst yours truly is isoko.

As for the issue of languages....i'm very versatile when it comes to that.

I'm happy for you sis.
This is encouraging.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by adeiza4u(m): 11:05am On Feb 25, 2020
Lalasticlala, good morning.
Re: What Are The Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage? by jasman1: 11:33am On Feb 25, 2020
Intermarriages are worse in some cultures and I’m not sure why some people are still doing it. I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it, not in that atmosphere of hate and distrust. It’s a shit hole of a place and will remain so for a long time. Yes, some cultures are similar in so many ways except the language, that might be okay otherwise, stay with your own.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Qualities Of A Good Nanny Or Maid? / My Daughter Is Becoming Wayward; Please Advice Me.. / Could This Be Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.