Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) (5699 Views)

DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / DIY: Replacement Of Transmission Filter, 03-07 Accord 4cyl / Pls Help Code P0773 Shift Solenoid "E" Malfunction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:07pm On Sep 24, 2014
I had been having some wetness around the part and after much delay I finally decided to settle this. Just in case you don't know the location of the part I'm referring to, its above your oil filter. Its at the rear of the engine block on the passengers side. See the pic.
I would later learn that there are 2 possible culprits here, the spool valve filter and the o-ring of the VTEC solenoid itself.

Tools
1. Size 10 spanner/wrench
2. New spool valve filter

This is a fairly simple DIY. Your greatest problem would be removing the 3 bolts holding the part.

1 Like

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
Here's picture of the part. What you can see is mostly the metal bracket mounting the part to the engine block. You can see the wetness angry angry
NB: the bolt you can see directly facing you does not mount the part to the engine block ie you do not need to loosen it in order to bring down the part.

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
To begin, you would have to loosen the 3 sz 10 bolts on the rear of the bracket. You would find these bolts mostly by feeling for them, therefore this is not a procedure on a hot engine!
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:18pm On Sep 24, 2014
Once the 3 bolts are off, pull out the bracket and the whole assembly. This is how mine looked. A lot of oily grime!
The spool valve filter was almost brittle. It was caked and practically glued to the engine block. I had to pry it off.

1 Like

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
The new guy...

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:23pm On Sep 24, 2014
The new and the old. See any difference? A lot. The new is quite supple and the old was now enlarged and out of shape in some areas.

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
While at it, I decided to give the whole assembly a thorough wash with break cleaner. Omitted the plastic parts as much as possible though. You can remove the mounting bracket by loosening the single bolt holding it in place

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:37pm On Sep 24, 2014
New filter in place smiley

Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 6:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
To Couple just reverse initial steps, however remember to use a clean rag to wipe the section of the engine block where the whole assembly mounts. Also ensure there are no bits of rubber left by the old filter.
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nice work, I love the way you took your time and took pictures.
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by lonelydora: 7:59pm On Sep 24, 2014
Correct guy. I will do mine asap.
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by yungboss(m): 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
Good to see guys putting it to work...
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 8:44pm On Sep 24, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Nice work, I love the way you took your time and took pictures.

Thanks mate. I have benefited a lot from people's write up on the web. Just trying to give my little bit...
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 9:03pm On Sep 24, 2014
lonelydora: Correct guy. I will do mine asap.

While your at it, you may want to also change the VTEC solenoid o-ring. Didn't do this and I still have some wetness there and I think its coming from the o-ring. Its inexpensive so I'll change once i have the part.
Re: DIY Replacement Of VTEC Solenoid Spool Valve Filter (03-07 Accord) by Piyke: 9:50pm On Aug 29, 2015
Its been almost a year since my last post here but just thought to update. To keep it short, this leak continued angry, even after changing the VTEC oil pressure switch o-ring angry.
But I've nipped it in the bud! The leak was coming from the VTEC oil pressure switch itself!
See the picture below, its from the underside of the vehicle (looking up). Note the oil drop on the oil pressure sensor(blue part), that's from the leak in question. NB: The oil filter is off in the pic as I was in the middle of an oil change.

Catch the detailed DIY repair post on www.diyautoworksng.com. Its now so dry and I'm happy wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

My Volvo S60 Stopped Working And Wont Start / My Toyota Carina 1998 Emit Black Smoke Thirstier Than A Vampire / Ladies: Let's Talk About Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.