Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,004 members, 7,845,241 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:05 PM

Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash (1310 Views)

Families Of Missing DSS Agents Petition Buhari, Demand Probe / South African Media Confirms Legitimacy Of Nigeria's $9.3m Arms Deal / $9.3m Arms Deal: PDP Reps In $20,000 Bribery Scandal - Madaki's Confession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by NgeneUkwenu(f): 2:15pm On Sep 25, 2014
The Catholic Bishops Association of Nigeria has called for a thorough investigation of the $9.3 million allegedly smuggled into South Africa by two Nigerians and an Israeli to buy arms for the government.
The bishops also distanced themselves from the botched deal which was executed by the use of a jet belonging to the president of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor. They said it is only a thorough investigation that would bring out the truth about the matter, adding that whoever is found guilty should be adequately sanctioned.
In an interview with the BBC Hausa Service monitored in Abuja yesterday, leader of the Catholic bishops, Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama, condemned the cash haul, saying it was capable of tarnishing the image of Christianity and Christians in Nigeria.
“They should take proper action. If anybody is found culpable of any wrongdoing in the matter, he should be duly sanctioned,” he said.
“How will they go and buy arms without using Air Force aircraft but that belonging to a civilian? To us, this is wrong. Even the government on its part was wrong if it’s true that they didn’t declare the money before entering South Africa.”
Archbishop Kaigama also said: “To hire CAN president’s aircraft for the deal is tantamount to tarnishing the image of Christianity, because people will say that it is Christians that are conniving with the president to do that, and no matter what, people will say maybe Christians are planning something.

“We want to say that we’re not part of it; we don’t know anything about it. We in the Catholic Church have been calling for a proper way of running the affairs of CAN, and we’ve even written a letter withdrawing our participation in national CAN until such a time when things are done right. But they said we were just complaining.”

Kaigama also lamented that the efforts of government in tackling insurgency in the country was insufficient.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/daily/news/35346-catholic-bishops-demand-probe-of-9-3m-arms-cash

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 25, 2014
Catholic Bishops now clearly have an agenda
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by NgeneUkwenu(f): 2:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
I Just Love The Catholic Church!

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by ochilikoko(m): 2:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: I Just Love The Catholic Church!
really?

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by FastShipping: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by FastShipping: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
jerseyboy: Catholic Bishops now clearly have an agenda

How did asking for full investigation is an "agenda"?

What would your response be if the Catholic church had said there should be no investigation? It seems you would have preferred the Bishop just shut up. I can see why the country is messed up. We just had a case in Virginia where a Governor and his wife just got convicted for seeking monetary favor from a political donor. And how much was involved for him to be convicted? Less than $200,000 in gift and money.

7 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by theassassin: 2:31pm On Sep 25, 2014

with your she-mality huh?

innasmuch as I may share the same faith with you dosent stop you from being a disgusting creature

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by 9jahubcom(m): 2:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
ok na
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by egift(m): 2:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
Religious leader should step up and lend a voice to the epidemic Corruption drowning Nigeria.

"Adults cannot be at home and things will be going this bad". This administration keep download large volume corruption into the psyche of Nigerians on a continuous stream. Some must be done and fast.

6 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
Catholic Bishops are more sensible when it comes to socio-political activism. They don't interfere in government neither do they play politics using their church. Mr. Ayo blink blink Oritsejafor should learn from these Bishops, at least for the sake of his Old Age. He is no longer a young man.

**I am not a catholic**

6 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Rich4god(m): 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Cos they are inline with you sch of thought... Assuming they did other wise, will you still like them...
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by gratieao: 4:14pm On Sep 25, 2014
Things are not going well with this administration, i must admit. Who will bail the cat since we don't have credible opposition
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by slimfit1(m): 4:15pm On Sep 25, 2014
Rich4god: Cos they are inline with you sch of thought... Assuming they did other wise, will you still like them...
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Rich4god(m): 4:20pm On Sep 25, 2014
slimfit1:

the more we have people like you the more these country will keep getting messed up. Take a picture of your area and your head and say this is how I want my country to be. Tell me which side of your head you are thinking with.
Read my post again and tell me what you really understand from it... Am not condeming the bishops... My post was entirely to Ngene... So plz dont start preaching for me...
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by lilprinze: 4:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
it should be investigated thoroughly if atol they wanted to buy arms like they claimed, why couldn't they use one of the presidential aircraft after roll their are about 10 presidential jet they should have used one of them or Air Force aircraft I don't know why they just had to use can president Aircraft.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by vedaxcool(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
This is a good development, the catholic church in Nigeria has shown that it will not be a part of corruption Ebola Jonathan's attempt to make corruption part of Nigeria's GDP, unlike some unbalanced individuals on NL and beyond the catholic church didn't blame El rufai or the APC but called for, demand for a probe. We expect Orisejefor would follow their lead and demand for a probe into this corruption scandal . One hope other Nigerians would lend their voice and drown this vicious screams of corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by slimfit1(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
the more we have people like you the more these country will keep getting messed up. Take a picture of your area and your head and say this is how I want my country to be. Tell me which side of your head you are thinking with. quote author=jerseyboy]Catholic Bishops now clearly have an agenda
[/quote]
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
That's good we must always stand got the truth no matter who's involved.
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2014

Why are you scared of an investigation? Pastor Ayo should even be the one calling for it in order to clear his name. If he and the FG are innocent why don't they want an investigation to be done?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by feelamong(m): 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hmmmmm!!

looks like the Catholic Bishops have followed Obama to join APC.. undecided
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
I'm not a catholic, but I'm with them on this.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Kessyy2k4(m): 4:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
Good move from the catholic ,smileythis is why Catholic pull out of CANgrin orisaJETfuckangry will av drag the name into mudcheesy since is play politics will CAN administration!
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by gratieao: 4:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: I'm not a catholic, but I'm with them on this.
You are a terrorist
(Muslim)

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
theassassin:

with your she-mality huh?

innasmuch as I may share the same faith with you dosent stop you from being a disgusting creature

Share the same faith with who? My friend shift, you are a nuisance to Nairaland!

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by arewafederation: 5:26pm On Sep 25, 2014

What agenda might that be?
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by omenka(m): 5:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
Of course they do!! If you don't have one then you must be the most jobless and idle nigga on planet earth!!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
yes its true! I hear the Bishops have been bought over by Tinubu and Buhari and they are planning to be the spiritual branch of APC.

Mtscheeew! undecided
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by brownlords: 6:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
Mean while the bishop won't distance themselves from the drug scandal ravaging their world church. Wish we can have a leader who will ban all the useless religious political bodies, CAN, Arewa, etc from the society.

The holy Catholics bishop that don't interfere In politics could meet with sultan only recently to discuss 2015 election, I'm still wondering if they are now Inec or they election observers. 90 percent of people supporting Catholics are APC, while pro PDP is cool with Ayo led CAN

"There was a country"

1 Like

Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by theassassin: 8:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Share the same faith with who? My friend shift, you are a nuisance to Nairaland!

thunder fire your mama and papa you hopeless she-male

idiott

you're real shame to the holy catholic church and society.

you're the real nuisance here
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by samlestic(m): 8:52pm On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by MeAboki(m): 12:06am On Sep 26, 2014
Commendable
Re: Catholic Bishops Demand Probe Of $9.3m Arms Cash by vedaxcool(m): 6:06pm On Sep 26, 2014
Is seun now also "balancing" catholic and protestants threads on NL?

Front page immediately!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015: Will David Mark Return For The Fifth Time? / How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work / This Was How (buhari) Constituted His Government When He Was Head Of State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.