Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,075 members, 7,818,217 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work (1302 Views)

Environment Ministry Terminates N9.2bn Clean Cook Stove Contract / FG Begins Distribution Of N5bn Clean Cooking Stoves: Leadership News / FG To Buy Cooking Stoves With N9.2bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by ThundrCork(m): 5:41pm On Nov 28, 2014
After reading various comments from Nairalander's I became curious as to why the federal goverment would spend 9.2 Billion Naira on cooking stoves but from what i have seen from the manufacturers' website, i personally think it is plausible. whatever is essential and saves money is always welcome.

Here is what i found:

Q: What can I cook in a Wonderbag?

A: From meaty stews and vegetable curries to simple rice, pasta and soups, the Wonderbag cooks food beautifully and thoroughly. Meat comes out tender, and vegetables retain their flavor and texture.

Q: How long should I leave it in the Wonderbag?

A: It depends on the recipe and the size of your cuts of meat. There are guidelines for each recipe but because this is slow cooking, there’s a degree of flexibility on timings. Avoid opening your bag until you’re ready to serve the food as checking it even once will release essential heat.

While you can leave them longer, the minimum for most grains and lentils is about 1 hour; Dried beans need about 2 hours; small, tender cuts of meat need 1.5 hours; Large, on the bone, or tougher meats are better the longer you leave them in the bag.

Q: Is it safe to cook chicken in the Wonderbag?

A: Yes, this has been tested by chefs. The Wonderbag retains heat extremely well. As long as you follow the cooking guidelines for each recipe and ensure that the contents of the pan come to the boil, before simmering for a period, your meat will be thoroughly cooked. To find out more about Wonderbag’s clever heat retention properties visit www.nb-wonderbag.com

Q: How much liquid should I have in a Wonderbag stew?

A: Liquid doesn’t reduce or thicken in the Wonderbag so get your desired quantity and consistency right before you place your pot in the Wonderbag. You can thicken your juice to serving consistency with flour before putting your pot in the Wonderbag. Another thickening technique is to separate your liquid afterwards and reduce it over a high heat.

Q: Can I over-cook the food?

A: It’s extremely hard to over-cook food in a Wonderbag and impossible to burn anything! Most cuts of meat become meltingly tender with lengthy cooking in the bag and can be left for several hours worry-free. Your food will also remain wonderfully hot and ready to serve when you need it.

Q: Can I use any type of pot?

A: Your every-day flameproof metal pots are recommended. Cast iron and earthenware (clay or ceramic) pots become extremely hot themselves, so we recommend lining the inside of your Wonderbag with a dish towel before placing the pot in the Wonderbag, just to be on the safe side.

Q: How long does it stay hot?

A: The food will continue to cook for 6 hours and will stay hot for up to 12 hours. This will vary slightly with food type and quantities, but it’s a good general guideline.

Q: Can I use a pot with a long handle?

A: If your bag is sealed tightly allowing no space or gaps for the hot air to escape a long handle should be fine.

Q: Can I use a pot with glass lid?

A: A glass lid does not retain the heat quite as efficiently as a metal lid, but will still work fine.

Q: Can I use earthenware?

A: Earthenware are very heavy, solid pots that have known to burn the material of the Wonderbag. We would recommend when using this type of pot to really protect your base of the bag from the direct heat of the earthenware pot – either by lining your Wonderbag with a thick dish towel, or placing oven mitts or pot holders inside the bottom of the bag.

Q: How long does food take to cook?

A: Anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours. Recommended time for grains is 1 hour; chicken is 3 hours; red meat 4 hours. The longer you leave your food to cook the more tender it will be.

Q: How do I wash the Wonderbag?

A: Your wonderbag is hand washable; a soapy sponge to the spill will work fine.
That said, you can easily just line the inside of your Wonderbag with newspaper or a dish towel to catch any spills or food that has bubbled out onto the sides of the pot.

Q: How many people will it feed?

A: Your standard bag takes a 10qt (12lt) pot, which could feed about 12 people.

Q: Can I cook for one?

A: You can cook for one! Make sure you use a smaller pot and fill it close to the brim with whatever you are cooking, as having a lot of ‘air’ in an emptier pot will cool the food down a bit.

Q: Where is the “Buy 1 Give 1” (BOGO) bag placed?

A: Currently, BOGO bags are distributed throughout South Africa, mainly to charity groups and church organizations for the less fortunate. We will be extending into Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda in 2014.

Q: Can I cook a joint of meat in the Wonderbag?

A: Yes! There is recipe for Roast Lamb in the recipe book that comes with the bag. A Knorr chef in Europe did a side of beef in the Wonderbag: hot pot, hot oil, beef cooked for 3 mins on each side, remove meat, add carrots and celery and stock, placed the beef back in for five mins each side with the lid on. 3 hours in the Wonderbag. Tender, pink all the way through. Average cut of meat beautifully tenderized. Perfect if you like pink meat.

Q: Will my bag burn if I put a hot pot inside

A: Not with clean, metal pots. In rare occasion, if you end up with a charred piece of food stuck to the bottom of the pot, it could damage the fabric, but won’t set the bag on fire. We recommended the use of a dish towel placed inside the bag to protect it from the direct heat of the pot.

Q: Is the bag flammable?

A: The Wonderbag passes US ‘smolder tests’ (cigarette or smoldering charred food stuck to the bag) but if you set your bag directly onto your ‘lit’ stove top, it will catch fire, in which case it can be quickly doused with 1-2 cups of water.

While we’ve conducted those tests, we haven’t had any reports of this happening with consumers, but to avoid that unpleasant exercise, we recommended you keep your Wonderbag at least a few inches away from your stove top.

Q: Will my food stay hot if I put my lunchbox in the Wonderbag

A: No. Your plastic Tupperware will not retain heat the same way as a metal pot would.

Q: How do I know if my food is ready in the Wonderbag?

A: Anywhere from 1 hour to 6 hours. Recommended time for grains is 1 hour; chicken is 3 hours; red meat 4 hours. The longer you leave your food to cook the more tender it will be

Source: http://nb-wonderbag.com/Pages/CookingQandA

Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by dunkem21(m): 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2014
Interesting.
Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by valmunich(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2014
Hmmmm..

All these chinko products
Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by barackodam: 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2014
So I guess am supposed to read all these.

But seriously, life isn't that hard in Cyprus where I school undecided
Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by ThundrCork(m): 7:08pm On Nov 28, 2014
You obviously skipped the part where it says "Yes, this has been tested by chefs"
valmunich:
Hmmmm..

All these chinko products
Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by ThundrCork(m): 7:12pm On Nov 28, 2014
Sadly, another major cause of our pitiable situation today. Majority of us Nigerians hate to read
barackodam:
So I guess am supposed to read all these.

But seriously, life isn't that hard in Cyprus where I school undecided
Re: How The N9.2bn Cooking Stoves Work by barackodam: 1:29am On Nov 29, 2014
ThundrCork:
Sadly, another major cause of our pitiable situation today. Majority of us Nigerians hate to read

grin

(1) (Reply)

Video Bombed In Kano State MOSQUE VIEWERS BE WARNED / Ekiti APC Lawmakers Used Room & Palour For Their Sitting Yesterday ! (photos) / Why I Am Leaving Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.