Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,451 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

Making Auto Section Scam Free - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Making Auto Section Scam Free (2604 Views)

New Auto Section Rule : To All Sellers Posting More Than 3 Adverts Per Day / Auto Section Library: All Discussion Threads / Auto Section News Updates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Making Auto Section Scam Free by chelseabmw(m): 2:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
Good Day Everyone
Please we(Dealers) are required to open threads with the following requirements/details starting from ........ October,2014(No official date yet. We all will decide a perfect date for this.

1: Inclusion of VIN is compulsory (Nigerian Used excluded)

2; Minimum of 5 pictures of the car/bike/truck is required ie ( Bonnet, Engine, Interior, exterior and others)

3: Price of the car MUST be stated

4: Dont cover the plate number of a Nigerian Used car

Anyone who violates this rule should be reported to the moderator ...... You've all got two weeks to adjust to this rule....More details to come later

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated ........... If you have requirements to add please you are free to state them out ......What do you guys think?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by chelseabmw(m): 2:35pm On Sep 26, 2014
CC: Fhemmmy, emeshot, femmy2010, Middleman, Carshopper, USAutoBuy ,INSPIREDm, Burger01, Eyop, lomomike, gazmann, calculusx, gazzuzz, ccaramel, bimbor, smartchoice bimbor ,tellwisdom , chronique
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Fogman(m): 2:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
Welcome development, hope it will be enforced?
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 26, 2014
Welcomed development but I would suggest that after the above details, the prospective seller should state it that his or her vehicle is available for inspection, in the description, only a seller that is in custody of the vehicle can say he's vehicle is available for inspection, if he/she does not put it, then that's a sign for a red flag.

In addition its best for this section to have a HOW TO AVOID A FRAUD, sticky thread, I have seen this in other websites, it contains tips to both buyers and sellers on how to avoid fraud.

1 Like

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Mota1: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2014
Long overdue...
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by calculusx(m): 6:10pm On Sep 26, 2014
Watching closely and I hope this rule will not be like others swept under the Carpet.

On how to get rid of scam on NL, as someone rightly suggested,lets have a BUYER BEWARE thread on front page to protect and warn buyers of possible fraud and do due diligence before committing their hard earned cash

I don't think I have any problem with others stated,afterall vin report doesn't say it all >: grin
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09am On Sep 27, 2014
Thumbs up if it will be implemented soon.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Emekayoung(m): 8:34am On Sep 27, 2014
Wow! Good news. Hope this rules will be executed asap... cheesy
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by OCTAVO: 11:37am On Sep 27, 2014
Good development. Me likey cheesy
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 27, 2014
I have reported adverts without plate number on several occassions and yet the thread was not removed. Moderators are the biggest problem we are having with this section.
Also I didnt see any measure towards prevent pre-order fraud.

3 Likes

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by chelseabmw(m): 8:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
chibabe3: I have reported adverts without plate number on several occassions and yet the thread was not removed. Moderators are the biggest problem we are having with this section.
Also I didnt see any measure towards prevent pre-order fraud.

False Alarm
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Burger01(m): 8:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
Supported. In fact, any advert that flaunts the stated rule should be deleted right on. Some dealers would post adverts without prices, that's not a good business ethic.

1 Like

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by oblo(m): 9:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
Am all for it.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by ccaramel(f): 12:15am On Sep 28, 2014
Seen.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by chelseabmw(m): 9:43am On Sep 28, 2014
ccaramel: Seen.

Didn't you see my msg?
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Danabu(m): 10:31am On Sep 28, 2014
Would also l'île to ses a thread of some sort for stolen or l'ost cars where pple can check to verify titles

1 Like

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by ccaramel(f): 2:21pm On Sep 28, 2014
chelseabmw:

Didn't you see my msg?
No. When? Where?
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2014
chelseabmw: Good Day Everyone
Please we(Dealers) are required to open threads with the following requirements/details starting from ........ October,2014(No official date yet. We all will decide a perfect date for this.

1: Inclusion of VIN is compulsory (Nigerian Used excluded)

2; Minimum of 5 pictures of the car/bike/truck is required ie ( Bonnet, Engine, Interior, exterior and others)

3: Price of the car MUST be stated

4: Dont cover the plate number of a Nigerian Used car

Anyone who violates this rule should be reported to the moderator ...... You've all got two weeks to adjust to this rule....More details to come later

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated ........... If you have requirements to add please you are free to state them out ......What do you guys think?
Good job, chelseabmw, seun and ikeanna (sorry not sure of the spelling)
A commendable development.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 2:34pm On Sep 28, 2014
chelseabmw:

False Alarm
Are u sure are "alarm" is false?
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
MissTeaseMe:
Good job, chelseabmw, seun and ikeanna (sorry not sure of the spelling)
A commendable development.

@1 don't exclude Nigerian used cars!
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 2:39pm On Sep 28, 2014
smartchoice:

@1 don't exclude Nigerian used cars!
Of cos, nigerian used vehicles were not excluded. Check the original post, u'll see where he stated that their plate numbers must be clearly shown in the pictures.
It is an all inclusive rule. smiley
Hoping it will be enforced

2 Likes

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 28, 2014
MissTeaseMe:
Of cos, nigerian used vehicles were not excluded. Check the original post, u'll see where he stated that their plate numbers must be clearly shown in the pictures.
It is an all inclusive rule. smiley
Hoping it will be enforced

I mean their vin should also be displayed
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 2:46pm On Sep 28, 2014
smartchoice:

I mean their vin should also be displayed
Ohhhh!
Hmmmmmmmm
It is not necessary for Nigerian used vehicles as we dont update information about repairs and changes made to our vehicles.
BUT
It is VERY important especially in checking the mileage of a vehicle, as some cars have been "over used" even before getting to Nigeria then, the Nigerian user uses it more, only to roll back the odometer when he wants to resell. You got a point there.

1 Like

Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 28, 2014
MissTeaseMe:
Ohhhh!
Hmmmmmmmm
It is not necessary for Nigerian used vehicles as we dont update information about repairs and changes made to our vehicles.
BUT
It is VERY important especially in checking the mileage of a vehicle, as some cars have been "over used" even before getting to Nigeria then, the Nigerian user uses it more, only to roll back the odometer when he wants to resell. You got a point there.

You will be very surprised at what the Vin/Chassis n0 of a Nigerian used car will reveal during a due diligence search with the relevant registration bodies....
e.g. I was assisting a friend to buy a car once and I discovered that the seller was actually not the registered owner but what she told me tallied with the govt agency's records so I could rest easy...

same way I went to inspect a car @ Ikorodu only for me to discover that the purported seller was only impersonating someone else ....based on the vehicle's records.

one of my workplace colleagues actually sold a car with number plates having double registration...to an unsuspecting victim...imagine being caught with a car whose Vin/chassis n0 does not tally with the plate no/engine no in Nigeria

I have also witnessed accidented cars cut in half by owners and replaced with a similar body part welded together....sold to unsuspecting victims!

Thus I believe the plates and Chassis/Vin number can easily be verified by a visit to the relevant agencies...even when the two figures exist the buyer should make sure they match from the agency and also with the name on the vehicle documents...

Before 9ja police catch you and start demanding for the bodies of people who were killed when your newly acquired vehicle was purportedly snatched...at that time na to run leave the vehicle go dey hungry you not minding your investments on it.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 3:13pm On Sep 28, 2014
smartchoice:

You will be very surprised at what the Vin/Chassis n0 of a Nigerian used car will reveal during a due diligence search with the relevant registration bodies....
e.g. I was assisting a friend to buy a car once and I discovered that the seller was actually not the registered owner but what she told me tallied with the govt agency's records so I could rest easy...

same way I went to inspect a car @ Ikorodu only for me to discover that the purported seller was only impersonating someone else ....based on the vehicle's records.

one of my workplace colleagues actually sold a car with number plates having double registration...to an unsuspecting victim...imagine being caught with a car whose Vin/chassis n0 does not tally with the plate no/engine no in Nigeria

I have also witnessed accidented cars cut in half by owners and replaced with a similar body part welded together....sold to unsuspecting victims!

Thus I believe the plates and Chassis/Vin number can easily be verified by a visit to the relevant agencies...even when the two figures exist the buyer should make sure they match from the agency and also with the name on the vehicle documents...

Before 9ja police catch you and start demanding for the bodies of people who were killed when your newly acquired vehicle was purportedly snatched...at that time na to run leave the vehicle go dey hungry you not minding your investments on it.
So true
Is there an easy way of checking this online from Nigerian authorities without going to their office, cos i hate how they demand for money for any small thing in this country.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 28, 2014
a phone call to any friendly FRSC or Licensing official with access to the database can reveal a lot...I have used FRSC friends a few times.

MissTeaseMe:
So true
Is there an easy way of checking this online from Nigerian authorities without going to their office, cos i hate how they demand for money for any small thing in this country.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by MissTeaseMe(f): 3:35pm On Sep 28, 2014
smartchoice: a phone call to any friendly FRSC or Licensing official with access to the database can reveal a lot...I have used FRSC friends a few times.

Really wished it was possible online.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 28, 2014
The other day, it was a range that i saw for 48 Million. Later the topic was removed,, bravo
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 28, 2014
Cc dollz enythong ibossservice et all
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by ubiquitousade(m): 12:58am On Feb 17, 2015
is this being enforced?
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by OCTAVO: 9:38am On Feb 17, 2015
ubiquitousade:
is this being enforced?
I wonder o! Don't mind the mods.
Re: Making Auto Section Scam Free by touche(m): 3:51pm On Jun 29, 2015
This is a very welcome development if properly enforced.

1. A standard and straight forward format such as:
[b]Sample:
Heading:

2008 Honda Civic Coupe For Sale @ N 900,000 (non negotiable) (in Abuja)
Body:
VIN: JJJAFOOH887HHJJ
Vehicle Reg No (for Nigerian Used): XV 78 NMQ
Price: N 900,000 (non negotiable)
Body Style: 2 door Coupe
Body Color: Red
Interior Colour and Type: Black Leather
Engine: 4 cylinder
Drive: Front-wheel Drive
Fuel: Petrol

2. Posters be required to attach a minimum of 5 pictures of the car/bike/truck i.e ( Bonnet, Engine, Interior, exterior and others) with number plates visible for Nigerian used cars

3. Posters be required to include customs duty payment details such as SGD reg No (C No), date and port of entry

(1) (2) (Reply)

SOLD ...Just Arrived TOKUNBOH 2004 Honda Accord EOD For Sale #1.3m / Registered Audi A3 For Sale / Lexus Rx300 2005 Navigation|rev|fulloptn..2.8m/corolla 06le/sports Leather..1.65

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.