Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,711 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Ogbanje/abiku - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ogbanje/abiku (6339 Views)

The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) / My Real Life Experiences With "Ogbanje" People. / My Real Life Experiences With "Ogbanje" People. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogbanje/abiku by lastchild: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
All my threads almost speaks on one direction,anyway that's because I only have one problem in this life which I keep talking about

Can someone please tell me what he/she understands as ogbanje/abiku , if its in a lineage,hereditary or is it just something that comes on its own, what thay face in life,the best way to separate from it,is it through prayers or tradition

finally,is everyone who has spiritual wife/husband an ogbanje/abiku?

Please I need experienced people
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by siegfried99(m): 12:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
Hmmmn .
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by hushmail: 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2014
if u have a spiritual problem, ur pastor will b in d best position to help

or a true man of God
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by edogho(m): 1:22pm On Sep 27, 2014
hushmail: if u have a spiritual problem, ur pastor will b in d best position to help

or a true man of God
i would recommend u speak with macof or folykaze on this topic. where be dis guys esp folykaze? been long o. will wait sha... NB: i'm in the dark as to their existence. so what i'm not aware of, doesn't have any bearing to what i believe. folykaze and macof oya make una come out with it..
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by EvilBrain1(m): 1:34pm On Sep 27, 2014
Before the advent of modern medicine, traditional African societies had a scarily high child mortality rate. Oftentimes, childhood deaths were clustered in a single family either due to genetic problems like sickle cell disease; or a combination of malnutrition, infectious diseases, bad parenting and bad luck.

Our ancestors had no way to know what was actially killing their kids, so they accepted the explanation that made the most sense to them: evil spirits.

There is no excuse for believing in abikus and ogbanjes in this day and age. OP please take note.

2 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by macof(m): 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2014
Personally I don't believe Ogbanje/Abiku spirits.
While there is a sort of consciousness in everything, a spirit for everything. I think the case of the children of the same parent dying before marriageable age is due to some health issues not supernatural evil spirits haunting the family

I have no reasons to take the Ogbanje spirits hypothesis seriously because in all ogbanje issues, the death is preceeded by illness

In another light they are caused by evil spirits as spirits control the unseen but instead of dwelling on the spirit part there's also a medical approach some ancients failed to understand

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by iamord(m): 2:47pm On Sep 27, 2014
hushmail: if u have a spiritual problem, ur pastor will b in d best position to help

or a true man of God

Smh!
We need true understanding
And not a one sided one! And even some distored info.. Cos even in tradition its not considered to be good.. Soo don't let the pastor feel too important
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by ideyhere(f): 3:06pm On Sep 27, 2014
EvilBrain1: Before the advent of modern medicine, traditional African societies had a scarily high child mortality rate. Oftentimes, childhood deaths were clustered in a single family either due to genetic problems like sickle cell disease; or a combination of malnutrition, infectious diseases, bad parenting and bad luck.

Our ancestors had no way to know what was actially killing their kids, so they accepted the explanation that made the most sense to them: evil spirits.

There is no excuse for believing in abikus and ogbanjes in this day and age. OP please take note.

Yes some of the things you said are true...but how do you explain all those ones those days that they give mark at death and when a new child is born, he/she comes back with those identical marks?
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by edogho(m): 3:09pm On Sep 27, 2014
macof: Personally I don't believe Ogbanje/Abiku spirits.
While there is a sort of consciousness in everything, a spirit for everything. I think the case of the children of the same parent dying before marriageable age is due to some health issues.

I have no reasons to take the Ogbanje spirits hypothesis seriously because in all ogbanje issues, the death is preceeded by illness

In another light they are caused by evil spirits as spirits control the unseen but instead of dwelling on the spirit part there's also a medical approach some ancients failed to understand
now that's what i'm saying. our fore-fathers tend to label any unfavourable thing or something they don't, and don't even care to understand as evil. that was y we have evil forests back then. I don't think evil spirits waste their time on such when there're ppl willing to give their body as vessels for these spirits to occupy. and there's even morgue(bank as it ) where they get to choose from. just mi opinion tho.
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by lastchild: 3:16pm On Sep 27, 2014
Good comments,keep it coming
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by edogho(m): 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
ideyhere:

Yes some of the things you said are true...but how do you explain all those ones those days that they give mark at death and when a new child is born, he/she comes back with those identical marks?
this one always gets me thinking, buh on a second thought, its d same ol' story. everyone seems to say same thing and i've not seen anyone with a first hand experience. always second hand and third hand experiences. and d most dishonest individuals will claim theirs is first hand . just mi opinion
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by lastchild: 3:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
edogho: this one always gets me thinking, buh on a second thought, its d same ol' story. everyone seems to say same thing and i've not seen anyone with a first hand experience. always second hand and third hand experiences. and d most dishonest individuals will claim theirs is first hand . just mi opinion
yea people might claim but I'll tell you for sure that I have such in my family,a small part of her last finger was cut off and she came back with it

Before I opened this thread,I know where am from and what we are seeing in the family, almost everyone is this ogbanje, now all am passing through in life is being attached to it
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Pr0ton: 4:01pm On Sep 27, 2014
lastchild: All my threads almost speaks on one direction,anyway that's because I only have one problem in this life which I keep talking about

Can someone please tell me what he/she understands as ogbanje/abiku , if its in a lineage,hereditary or is it just something that comes on its own, what thay face in life,the best way to separate from it,is it through prayers or tradition

finally,is everyone who has spiritual wife/husband an ogbanje/abiku?

Please I need experienced people

Nah...

Just superstition
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by EvilBrain1(m): 4:13pm On Sep 27, 2014
ideyhere:

That doesn't happen. Don't believe everything you're told. Or at least ask for proof first.
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by UyiIredia(m): 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2014
While there is a sort of consciousness in everything, a spirit for everything. I think the case of the children of the same parent dying before marriageable age is due to some health issues not supernatural evil spirits haunting the family

Good. This is a balanced approach.
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:38pm On Sep 27, 2014
edogho: i would recommend u speak with macof or folykaze on this topic. where be dis guys esp folykaze? been long o. will wait sha... NB: i'm in the dark as to their existence. so what i'm not aware of, doesn't have any bearing to what i believe. folykaze and macof oya make una come out with it..

Hey Man.

Nairaland has become boring. . . .that is the reason I only read through threads without parting in the discussions.

@ the topic

I have learnt about believe in Abiku. . .and have also meet person who lost her children some days after birth who and others claim the deceased babies are Abiku.

Base on what I learnt and heard, Abiku when splitted is 'Abi' (being born) + 'ku' (died). It is a tag given to a baby that die immeidately or some days after birth. In the Yoruba society, they are believe to be beings from spiritual world on a short period journey to earth. They of specif comes to earth on the purpose of making their parents unhappy, causing them to cry and troubling them. On most occasions and from my experience, these babies die a day after or before or the very day of naming ceremony. You know how sadden that would be.. . . .

And on the other case, emere which the OP refer to as Oganje is different from Abiku. Though they are both from the spritual realm. . . . .and note, everything on earth including every individuals are from the spiritual realm. There is this saying in Yoruba, 'Ajo Laye' (earth is a sojourning path) which reveal we are all from Ajule Orun (spiritual realm) and on a course of attaining 'Iwa pele'. This is the reason we circled after death bringing us to attainment of Iwa pele. . . . . . . This circling journey is what Yoruba people call Asehinwaye (kind of reincarntion).

So on this cousre, there are seven Ire (prosperities); child bearing is included which Man should acquire which would guild him through achieving Iwa Pele. So Abiku are there to obstruct this achievement.

While Abiku die after birth to cause bitterness in a home, Emere have potentials of affecting Ire in a home. Emere does not die after birth. Some even can die of old age. . . . .but there course is affecting one's Ire.

This is my submission base on what I have learnt from book and people. Feel free to ask any question on what have written

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by iamord(m): 4:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
edogho: this one always gets me thinking, buh on a second thought, its d same ol' story. everyone seems to say same thing and i've not seen anyone with a first hand experience. always second hand and third hand experiences. and d most dishonest individuals will claim theirs is first hand . just mi opinion

Am a first hand witness to this and its real!

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by edogho(m): 5:00pm On Sep 27, 2014
iamord:

Am a first hand witness to this and its real!
tell me 'bout it.
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2014

Sorry to cut in bro. . . . .when did you learn that there is no way from perverting Abiku from dying? Oh pls, the remilekun, durosinmi, olorundaisi, pamilerin, ikuyinminu and kokumo I know are married, now big men and women in towns. Some have even lost their teeths due to old age. . . ..yet they are Abiku, and also bearing Abiku's name. This evidently shows Abiku can be made to stay to marriage and walking on three foot age. . . . . .

And since you think medical approach should be followed, I think we should have a final stop on child mortality rate. This would help stop the tears rolling on the cheek of our mothers.

And will Babalawo takes medical approach without going spiritual? Will Babalawo prescibe medicines without doing proper consultation with spirits? Will Babalawo or Onisegun take herbs and prepare concortion without evoking the spirit? Friend, you are more than this. . . . .and I expect answers from you.

Read between your words, you mentioned that Oganje (Emere) death proceed from illness. . . .if I may ask, is illness something of Joy? Have you seen someone happy over sickness of their heir? 'Se nkan ire ni aisan abi o mo wipe agbana buruku ni'?

For the record, Emere grows old. . . .even older than normal person. They are the ones affecting one Ire to either good or bad.

So much I respect your believe friend, your points have no ground.

2 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by iamord(m): 5:34pm On Sep 27, 2014
edogho: tell me 'bout it.

Okay. When I was around 6 years. A light in complexion lady came to work for my mum, from ondo. But she had accommodation issues so my mum let her stay in the bq. She was with us for like 6 months, she was very jovial et all. But she does some funny things . She comes back home. Shows my mum what she bought from market. And she is always with new rings on her hand. One day she told my mum that since I have been telling u that
Since I have been telling u about my rings u don't bother to ask where I got it from. My mum then asked and she was like her husband in the water. My mum laughed about it and took it lightly. On one faithful day. My parents were at church while we were at home. All of a sudden she started to roll on the floor then passed out. Then there was no gsm so we could not reach my mum . so neighbors helped . When my parents came home. She begged to be taken to church for deliverance. So we had her taken. After the deliverance she made some startling statements to my fam that it was her time to go. That she has come back like 3 times. That if she died in my crib she would have put trouble on our head as people will believe she was used for ritual. She said the last lady that born her was a rich lady that was barren. God finally blessed the woman. I don't know how they do it. But she said she exchanged herself with the baby and was born instead. The woman did everything for her but she always frustrated the woman. and was always falling sick. One the woman beat her and she vowed to punish the woman. She died some weeks later. And came back presently. But after that incident I have not seen her.as she could no longer stay in our house.. There are really some strange happenings going on

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by lastchild: 7:32pm On Sep 27, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Hey Man.

Nairaland has become boring. . . .that is the reason I only read through threads without parting in the discussions.

@ the topic

I have learnt about believe in Abiku. . .and have also meet person who lost her children some days after birth who and others claim the deceased babies are Abiku.

Base on what I learnt and heard, Abiku when splitted is 'Abi' (being born) + 'ku' (died). It is a tag given to a baby that die immeidately or some days after birth. In the Yoruba society, they are believe to be beings from spiritual world on a short period journey to earth. They of specif comes to earth on the purpose of making their parents unhappy, causing them to cry and troubling them. On most occasions and from my experience, these babies die a day after or before or the very day of naming ceremony. You know how sadden that would be.. . . .

And on the other case, emere which the OP refer to as Oganje is different from Abiku. Though they are both from the spritual realm. . . . .and note, everything on earth including every individuals are from the spiritual realm. There is this saying in Yoruba, 'Ajo Laye' (earth is a sojourning path) which reveal we are all from Ajule Orun (spiritual realm) and on a course of attaining 'Iwa pele'. This is the reason we circled after death bringing us to attainment of Iwa pele. . . . . . . This circling journey is what Yoruba people call Asehinwaye (kind of reincarntion).

So on this cousre, there are seven Ire (prosperities); child bearing is included which Man should acquire which would guild him through achieving Iwa Pele. So Abiku are there to obstruct this achievement.

While Abiku die after birth to cause bitterness in a home, Emere have potentials of affecting Ire in a home. Emere does not die after birth. Some even can die of old age. . . . .but there course is affecting one's Ire.

This is my submission base on what I have learnt from book and people. Feel free to ask any question on what have written
good narration,pls what is ire?

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:19pm On Sep 27, 2014
lastchild: good narration,pls what is ire?

Goodness or prosperity

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by edogho(m): 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2014
what are u saying d creator's work cannot be tempered. at least its what all creationists should believe. so what are u saying when u said "they changed d baby in d woman's womb and put one of them there?". and mind u, ur story does not sound real, it sounds like d same ol' story ppl tell me.

cheers

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by pureIvory(f): 10:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
From what I know, Ogbanjes are spirit children.In their spirit world, they choose a couple and decide when they will die after being born to the couple. Most a times the couples are childless ones so they enter into the woman's womb and are given birth to. They give the couples hard times and the couples are not able to have normal children after then, in fact, when the woman gets pregnant again, they die before the child is born and they come back again as the new child. They do this repeatedly until they are stopped.

However, some couples who need children do visit witch doctors to give them children and they are given Ogbanjes. The witch doctor instructs them on how to train the child so he or she doesn't die. The children are often pampered. Ogbanjes are known to be beautiful. They are so beautiful that their parents are instructed to give them marks to mar their beauty so that spiritual husbands won't claim them. They fall sick often and eventually get well until the time they choose to die.
Some Ogbanjes are however just possessed children who cause sorrow to their family.

Ogbanjes are believed to have 'iyi uwa' a fetish calabash that they bury spiritually in the compound of their parents. It is believed that the children are free from the Ogbanje when the 'iyi uwa' is dug up and the Ogbanje child is the only one that knows the spot the 'iyi uwa' is buried. They know when their parents plan to dig out their 'iyi uwa' and they normally get sick.
No matter how they love their parents they hardly yield to the pressure of showing the spot they buried the 'iyi uwa'. It is believed that they can only be saved and made to stay permanently when the 'iyi uwa' is dug up and other spiritual exercises are performed on it.

2 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2014
pureIvory: From what I know, Ogbanjes are spirit children.In their spirit world, they choose a couple and decide when they will die after being born to the couple. Most a times the couples are childless ones so they enter into the woman's womb and are given birth to. They give the couples hard times and the couples are not able to have normal children after then, in fact, when the woman gets pregnant again, they die before the child is born and they come back again as the new child. They do this repeatedly until they are stopped.

However, some couples who need children do visit witch doctors to give them children and they are given Ogbanjes. The witch doctor instructs them on how to train the child so he or she doesn't die. The children are often pampered. Ogbanjes are known to be beautiful. They are so beautiful that their parents are instructed to give them marks to mar their beauty so that spiritual husbands won't claim them. They fall sick often and eventually get well until the time they choose to die.
Some Ogbanjes are however just possessed children who cause sorrow to their family.

Ogbanjes are believed to have 'iyi uwa' a fetish calabash that they bury spiritually in the compound of their parents. It is believed that the children are free from the Ogbanje when the 'iyi uwa' is dug up and the Ogbanje child is the only one that knows the spot the 'iyi uwa' is buried. They know when their parents plan to dig out their 'iyi uwa' and they normally get sick.
No matter how they love their parents they hardly yield to the pressure of showing the spot they buried the 'iyi uwa'. It is believed that they can only be saved and made to stay permanently when the 'iyi uwa' is dug up and other spiritual exercises are performed on it.

That "iyi uwa" reminds me of things fall apart, remember one of okonkwo's daughter was an ogbanje.

3 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Ubenedictus(m): 11:27pm On Sep 27, 2014
If i had an explanation for every story i hear from africa, i would be the wisest man alive.

Any way, since macof and folykaze are here, i have a question.

There are stories my mum told me about, dead people (usually those who died by accident) who go and live in some other places at times even fathering children.

What i your takes on that?
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by iamord(m): 11:36pm On Sep 27, 2014
Ubenedictus: If i had an explanation for every story i hear from africa, i would be the wisest man alive.

There are stories my mum told me about, dead people (usually those who died by accident) who go and live in some other places at times even fathering children.

Nice. I know about such incidents.. When u leave circular religious dogma.. U will see there is more to this world than meets the eye
Re: Ogbanje/abiku by pureIvory(f): 11:43pm On Sep 27, 2014
Ubenedictus: If i had an explanation for every story i hear from africa, i would be the wisest man alive.

Your mother is right.
In Igbo they are called Akaraogholi. They die before their time and they are mostly bad people. They are not accepted in the spirit world or their souls are not at peace so they find a place among the living were they are not known and they stay there and achieve many good things, others however, cause troubles and even enter the body of a living person and cause the person to misbehave.

Some still stay in their normal self, build houses and businesses and even marry.
When someone that knows them comes in contact with them, they vanish and establish themselves in another area.

But this things hardly happen in this modern time because of religions that are now well established. However, we do come in contact with spirits daily without even knowing.

1 Like

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Pr0ton: 11:53pm On Sep 27, 2014
*spreads mat*

more fairytales please

*sits*

2 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
pureIvory: Ogbanjes are known to be beautiful. They are so beautiful that their parents are instructed to give them marks to mar their beauty so that spiritual husbands/wives won't claim them.
Of course! No wonder I'm so ugly, I now know what happened. cheesy
I was born an ogbanje and I was sooooo handsome, my parents had to mess my face up to keep me in line. So when next a girl calls me worwor I'll just inform her that I'm actually gorgeous and its this excessive fineboyism that made my folks stitch me up something fierce. Thanks dear, anybody that doesn't like it will have to go through you grin

3 Likes

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by pureIvory(f): 12:05am On Sep 28, 2014
lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogbanje/abiku by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 28, 2014
pureIvory: lol
So, I'm one of em Akaraogholi do-gooders you were talking about. Thought I might do a pretty girl like you some good before I leave. Any requests darling? kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Pray When You Don't Know what To Pray / Beejay Accepts Promise10's Challenge On Blood Money / How Did You Become A Christian; Upbringing, Conviction Or Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.