Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders (19465 Views)

Celebration Of Nigeria 54th Independence In Pics / Google Celebrates Nigeria's 54th Independence With A Doodle [PHOTO] / I Thank God - GEJ On His 54th Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by patrickmuf(m): 7:56am On Oct 01, 2014
Nigeria @54 is far off the expectations of our heroes past...Don't tell me it took America, UK, Germany ********years to get to where they are today cos when they started, they had no electricity, cars, automated machines and all that we have now... They have laid the ground work but the greediness and shortsightedness of the average Nigerian (Black man) is holding us back...I'll not call on God to help us cos he didn't come down for America to become great nor did he transform China from the 3rd world country it was once categorized as to the 2nd largest economy in the world, we need to reflect on where we were, where we are and where we're heading even as 2015 beacons... Nigeria is ours to plough and not to plunder... Rise above mediocrity today, Rise above Religion, Rise above ethnicity and let's move this nation forward...
If @54 my life is comparable to Nigeria of today, then...................God forbid!!!
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by disloman(m): 7:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy independence day n glorious month.We shall all b free from all bondages of life n move to next level IJN
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by hansad: 8:12am On Oct 01, 2014
homealone2: U r a disgrace/disappointment 2 ur nation, don't worry ,i will deport u back 2 Liberia.
You are a typical Crude oil patriot, the type that only believes in "One Nigeria so long as oil flows in the N/Delta." Dictator for One Nigeria. You don't know that Liberia is better off than Nigeria? Liberia fought civil war once and has remained in peace after. Nigeria fights civil war after civil war after civil war after ....
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by olumuyiolaoluwa: 8:12am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy 54th Independence Celebration God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Aspiregreat: 8:14am On Oct 01, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin happy ind day

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Laeroy(f): 8:14am On Oct 01, 2014
Today I Celebrate Nigeria & I, Most especially the
birth of me, the person I've grown to be & the
mother I'lll become someday...I''m grateful to God
4 the gift of life cos I 'm void without him...HAPPY
BIRTHDAY TO ME! HAPPY NEW MONTH AND
INDEPENDENCE TO US.....I wish myself strength, wisdom & succ

1 Like

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Mutiuadeniyi290(m): 8:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Independence with black-out again,this is what actually happened last and year after...Humm "There is God oooooooooooo".
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by ghost1718(m): 8:31am On Oct 01, 2014
winkno matter how boko boys and small Ebola try we will never fall, no matter how many OF us boko boys kill, we still stand together cheesy we will never fall No ebola nor boko boys can stop us,Nigerians. Happy Independence Anniversary! But broke dude dont wish rich
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by sambolus: 8:32am On Oct 01, 2014
jjwaterfalls: Hip! Hip!! Hip!!!! HUrray!!!!!
Nigeria may you live long and wax strong.
Lord I pray that u will strengthen her And her pEoplE Evn in trying times you wil be with us. Amen.
weathr u feel 54or not nigeria
hansad: cheesy It's celebration day for the groups who foolishly believe they cannot survive without One Nigeria. They clutch to hopes of one Nigeria even if the Nigeria ship has hit huge rocks.
weather u feel 54 or not nigeria and all her people:-)are:-)54 love all
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by spankyflex(m): 8:33am On Oct 01, 2014
Laeroy: Today I Celebrate Nigeria & I, Most especially the
birth of me, the person I've grown to be & the
mother I'lll become someday...I''m grateful to God
4 the gift of life cos I 'm void without him...HAPPY
BIRTHDAY TO ME! HAPPY NEW MONTH AND
INDEPENDENCE TO US.....I wish myself strength, wisdom & success in everything I do....Let me also
use this opportunity to share this happy news
with u.
The families of BALOGUN AND ADESINA. Cordially
invites you to the solemnization of holy
matrimony of their children... opeOLUWA Balogun and OLUWAmayowa Adesina @ Worldwide christ
salvation ministries (1/3 christ salv. str, papa epe)
Date: 8th NOV. 2014....Time: 11am prompt.
Reception follows immediately at Light of God
events centre.(beside complex, cele b/stop, lagos
road, epe.) If ure unable to attend, we ask for ur presence in
thoughts and prayers.
opeOLUWAmayowa 2014...
happy birthday dear
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by luluosas(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy New Month, and Happy Independence to all Nigerians around the world.

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by ghost1718(m): 8:38am On Oct 01, 2014
not ebola not boko boys can stop us, happy naija @54, but i need moneynot ebola not boko boys can stop us happy naija @54, but i need money

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Igwe2nero(m): 8:41am On Oct 01, 2014
HBD NIGERIA bt a 54 yr old man stil crawling on d floor is an eyesore.Lets kip hoping shaa,one day e go beta.
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Mamaflex(f): 8:46am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy birthday to my Son, happy independent day to Nigeria. Cheers!!
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by desy24444(m): 8:49am On Oct 01, 2014
Let's say no no no to bad politician,no no to bad govt official,no no to all man wen suppose day work wen day steal moni. One day,one day e go beta 4 9ja
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy Independence to Our Dear Country, Nigeria!...Bigger n Better Nigeria I pray..
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Godwin978(m): 9:07am On Oct 01, 2014
i pledge to nigeria my country tobe faithful loyal and honest to serve nigeria with all my strength and uphold her honour and glory so help me god, who say i no try?
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by modestdude(m): 9:12am On Oct 01, 2014
O Glorious Fatherland,
I Hail Thee
I Have no other one beside thee
In you i must survive
Though your growth is being impeded by corruption
To restore your glory we shall fight
The envied giant..no let me not tow the same path
The trigger of Africa i pronounce you.
Africa's explosion you hold tenaciously.
When faced with challenges,
You have come out stronger and better
From Civil war to militant struggles to insurgency and Ebola epidermic.
The envious is scheming to divide you,
They know not that what unites you is greater than what divides you.
With over 200 languages and tribes,
And vast mineral and natural resources,
From lake Chad to Lagos Island to River Niger to Bonny Island to Marina Island and to River Brass.
I hail thee
I pledge my faithfulness and loyalty to thee,
Great art thou
We shall lift you to more enviable heights.

Happy 54th independence anniversary

2 Likes

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by epospiky(m): 9:14am On Oct 01, 2014
Nigeria @54!
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Lusayo(m): 9:19am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy independence to all Nigerians. #Greatpeoplegreatnation
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Ekiseme(m): 9:45am On Oct 01, 2014
nikkyshyne: Sorry. Happy independence day Nigeria. undecided
yea cheesy
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Kunleskey(m): 9:47am On Oct 01, 2014
GOD BLESS MY BELOVED COUNTRY NIGERIA HAPPY NEW MONTH AND HAPPY INDEPENDENCE.DAY
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by fredoooooo: 9:49am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy independence day undecided undecided

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by RooftechConsult: 9:54am On Oct 01, 2014
happy independence Nigeria, we shall always remain united and i believe one day we shall have the best economy in the world.

JUST BELIEVE IT

from Rooftech Nigeria
rooftechnigerialtd@gmail.com
www.rooftechconsult.gnbo.com.ng
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by caniva(m): 9:55am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy Independence Day. Happy 54th Nigeria Existence. Happy New Month

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 01, 2014
fredoooooo: Happy independence day undecided undecided

That quote attached to your comment applies to South Africa. As for countries like Nigeria and Uganda....the missionaries took enough land to build schools, hospitals and of course churches.Farming was not necessarily high on their agenda.

Infact, excepting countries like Zimbabwe and South Africa....the British colonial experience did not involve the stealing of land from most Africans.
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by mastere3: 10:07am On Oct 01, 2014
PEACE LOVE AND PROGRESS
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by emmymoore(m): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2014
We are 54 years as a nation today....I have lived about 30years in this 54 years of independence... And I realize that each year, we yearn for more from the country. And today I ask us all....what have we given to our country from the little we have achieved? We do we intend to do for the growth/ development of nigeria?
Our prayers are of great importance but, do we act what we pray?

Let's pay back a little to our country n we will be glad we did. Let's shun corrupt practices in every way. Let's tell our rulers/leaders the truth no matter how painful it is. Let's keep our environment clean by not dumping refuse where it ought not to be dumped. Let us protect our integrity. Let us be peaceful. Let us use our vote rightly. These things are not easy but, we can try doing them.

Happy independence day.
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 01, 2014
patrickmuf: Nigeria @54 is far off the expectations of our heroes past...Don't tell me it took America, UK, Germany ********years to get to where they are today cos when they started, they had no electricity, cars, automated machines and all that we have now... They have laid the ground work but the greediness and shortsightedness of the average Nigerian (Black man) is holding us back...I'll not call on God to help us cos he didn't come down for America to become great nor did he transform China from the 3rd world country it was once categorized as to the 2nd largest economy in the world, we need to reflect on where we were, where we are and where we're heading even as 2015 beacons... Nigeria is ours to plough and not to plunder... Rise above mediocrity today, Rise above Religion, Rise above ethnicity and let's move this nation forward...
If @54 my life is comparable to Nigeria of today, then...................God forbid!!!

Well, the reason why countries like America, UK and Germany are at the top of the tree is due to these factors.

1.)Look at the history and even the films that are produced in those countries. A good number of those films are about inventors and innovators . Like the film 'A beautiful mind'...which was about the Mathematician John Nash. Recently,Japanese animator Hayao Mizakao (I am a fan of his) produced an animated film about the life of a famous Japanese avaition designer.

In Nigeria....has someone made a film about even a fictional Nigerian inventor?

Point: Countries that glorify inventors will produce more inventors.

2.Most of those countries invest heavily in education. And their education is geared towards producing problem solvers. The education system in Finland for example has practical classes at all levels,(and keeps science class sizes small).In a small school in Quebec, Canada, a group of children learned basic management skills by setting up and running a factory that produced skipping rope(ok...they had help from the parents...and it was not a large building BTW). Even in China...a class of 8 year olds at a school had a small election campaign....as a means of learning about voting and democratic practice.

In Nigeria,we are merely interested in teaching children how to be good clerical staff....and how to pass exams. Even our practicals do not include a means of solving problems in the environment(until you get to university and even then).

Plus...Nigeria does not spend more on techncial education, and a chap who goes to techncial school isw considered a dullard. Meanwhile...it is the technical people who are responsible for economic growth in most countries(Good example...Germany....which was able to come back from the devastation of WW2...because they had the techies).

Point: Nigerian Education does not teach problem solving skills adequately.It just produces clerical staff

3.Our economy in Nigeria is resource dependent. It made sense in the 60's....we would gain revenue from selling raw materials and then use the raw materials to develop our education and supporting infrastructure for industiral growth. That was the idea...until the end of the 1970's.Then we threw that idea away, and became a resource dependent economy. By 1997....96% of our revenues came from oil. Today it is 88-95%.

An oil dependent economy is one that imports and imports....and imports. And imports stifle local industries. And once the local industries are stifled.....jobs are lost and unemployment results. It even becomes unprofitable to run industries (that's why we do not have a strong industrial manufacturing base....who wants to manufacture made in Nigeria radios or cars...when we can import the same things and sell for a hefty profit...that is why Innoson is one of my heroes...and that man must not be allowed to fail). And imports cost a lot of money....which means inflation results. And when oil prices fall....scarcity results (that is why things were hard in the 1980's).

Point: Bushdoc's maxim: Oil dependent societies, unless they have small populations or large ,diversified and primarily industrial economies, cannot ever prosper.

4.Most states in Nigeria prefer to eat oil money, rather than use the resources, human and natural, to develop strong industrial bases. Of course this is the fault of the mindset of most Nigerians....we think that development is recieving our share of the money from Abuja every month. How that money is generated means nothing to us. Our States...with the exception of Lagos, are big drains on our economy. And that is the problem.

States have to start developing...not collecting money from Abuja to award contracts. The road to development starts with education, law and order, strong supporting infrastructure.....and an end to corruption.

5.Corruption thrives in Nigeria because we prefer to share money...rather than to work for it.If we were an industrial society...by default we would work hard for the money....because that is the only way we can get it (And states will be well run., because that is the only way they can attract industries....who will pay a good and hefty tax revenue...which would be used for essential services). But because we are so reliant on oil....we just collect the money and do zero., zilch, nothing.Because we know that the money is comming, regardless of circumstance. Meanwhile, because of the large unemployment caused by Dutch disease economics...it would pay to get close to whoever is in charge of the piggy bank. That is why elections in Nigerian are never peaceful...because it is all about how the money is shared.(By contrast, elections in the developed World are peaceful...because the leaders have to work for the money....it isn't handed to them from their capitals as their share from oil exports....it must be worked for by attracting local and international investors.

The above is some of the reasons why Nigeria, which in the year 1960 was ahead of many South Asian countries....is backward today. We must urgently address these issues if we are to stop crawling. Having another national conference, or granting resource control will not solve these problems....it would merely guarantee their continuation.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by patrickmuf(m): 10:35am On Oct 01, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, the reason why countries like America, UK and Germany are at the top of the tree is due to these factors.

1.)Look at the history and even the films that are produced in those countries. A good number of those films are about inventors and innovators . Like the film 'A beautiful mind'...which was about the Mathematician John Nash. Recently,Japanese animator Hayao Mizakao (I am a fan of his) produced an animated film about the life of a famous Japanese avaition designer.

In Nigeria....has someone made a film about even a fictional Nigerian inventor?

Point: Countries that glorify inventors will produce more inventors.

2.Most of those countries invest heavily in education. And their education is geared towards producing problem solvers. The education system in Finland for example has practical classes at all levels,(and keeps science class sizes small).In a small school in Quebec, Canada, a group of children learned basic management skills by setting up and running a factory that produced skipping rope(ok...they had help from the parents...and it was not a large building BTW). Even in China...a class of 8 year olds at a school had a small election campaign....as a means of learning about voting and democratic practice.

In Nigeria,we are merely interested in teaching children how to be good clerical staff....and how to pass exams. Even our practicals do not include a means of solving problems in the environment(until you get to university and even then).

Plus...Nigeria does not spend more on techncial education, and a chap who goes to techncial school isw considered a dullard. Meanwhile...it is the technical people who are responsible for economic growth in most countries(Good example...Germany....which was able to come back from the devastation of WW2...because they had the techies).

Point: Nigerian Education does not teach problem solving skills adequately.It just produces clerical staff

3.Our economy in Nigeria is resource dependent. It made sense in the 60's....we would gain revenue from selling raw materials and then use the raw materials to develop our education and supporting infrastructure for industiral growth. That was the idea...until the end of the 1970's.Then we threw that idea away, and became a resource dependent economy. By 1997....96% of our revenues came from oil. Today it is 88-95%.

An oil dependent economy is one that imports and imports....and imports. And imports stifle local industries. And once the local industries are stifled.....jobs are lost and unemployment results. It even becomes unprofitable to run industries (that's why we do not have a strong industrial manufacturing base....who wants to manufacture made in Nigeria radios or cars...when we can import the same things and sell for a hefty profit...that is why Innoson is one of my heroes...and that man must not be allowed to fail). And imports cost a lot of money....which means inflation results. And when oil prices fall....scarcity results (that is why things were hard in the 1980's).

Point: Bushdoc's maxim: Oil dependent societies, unless they have small populations or large ,diversified and primarily industrial economies, cannot ever prosper.

4.Most states in Nigeria prefer to eat oil money, rather than use the resources, human and natural, to develop strong industrial bases. Of course this is the fault of the mindset of most Nigerians....we think that development is recieving our share of the money from Abuja every month. How that money is generated means nothing to us. Our States...with the exception of Lagos, are big drains on our economy. And that is the problem.

States have to start developing...not collecting money from Abuja to award contracts. The road to development starts with education, law and order, strong supporting infrastructure.....and an end to corruption.

5.Corruption thrives in Nigeria because we prefer to share money...rather than to work for it.If we were an industrial society...by default we would work hard for the money....because that is the only way we can get it (And states will be well run., because that is the only way they can attract industries....who will pay a good and hefty tax revenue...which would be used for essential services). But because we are so reliant on oil....we just collect the money and do zero., zilch, nothing.Because we know that the money is comming, regardless of circumstance. Meanwhile, because of the large unemployment caused by Dutch disease economics...it would pay to get close to whoever is in charge of the piggy bank. That is why elections in Nigerian are never peaceful...because it is all about how the money is shared.(By contrast, elections in the developed World are peaceful...because the leaders have to work for the money....it isn't handed to them from their capitals as their share from oil exports....it must be worked for by attracting local and international investors.

The above is some of the reasons why Nigeria, which in the year 1960 was ahead of many South Asian countries....is backward today. We must urgently address these issues if we are to stop crawling. Having another national conference, or granting resource control will not solve these problems....it would merely guarantee their continuation.
Just love your explicit response devoid of insults as is the norm here...Cheers!!!
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Siena247(f): 10:37am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy 54th independence amazing Nigerians. .. #iDreamofaNigeria where we understand the true meaning of Independence and celebrate it wholeheartedly..
Re: Happy 54th Independence Day To All Nairalanders by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 01, 2014
patrickmuf: Just love your explicit response devoid of insults as is the norm here...Cheers!!!

Thank you.

As it is independence day,everyone must discuss seriously about Nigeria's problems.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gabriel Igbindion Hosts Orji Uzor Kalu (Photos) / Babangida's 75th Birthday Interview: "I’m Not The Evil Many Think I Am" / BREAKING: Finally, Senate Passes 2018 Budget Of N9.12tr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.