Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? (28364 Views)

The Finger Nails Pregnant Woman Got For Her Baby Shower... / Prophet Seeks Divorce From Fourth Wife / Homeless Man Returns Diamond Engagement Ring; he's Rewarded With Over $180,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by Idealworld(f): 8:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
Pls my fellow nairalanders,I really want to get this clear....which of the fingers is the right 1 for an engagement ring to be worn on? Cause I hv seen engaged ladies wear theirs either on the third finger or fourth finger from the thumb,or is it that it can be worn on either of the fingers?
Re: Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by Lovetinz(m): 9:35pm On Sep 30, 2014
Where Do I Wear My Promise Ring: On Which Finger?
If you are thinking of wearing a Promise Ring, you need to bear in mind that there are many different types of Promise Ring and this will have a bearing on where to wear your ring; which finger to wear your ring on.

So, on what finger do you wear a promise ring?
In the USA and the UK, the ring finger (fourth finger) of the left hand holds the greatest significance; engagement rings and wedding rings are worn on this finger almost without exception. However, in Europe, outside the UK, these rings are worn on the ring finger of the right hand. The following guide is therefore aimed at the USA and the UK.

If you want to wear a Promise Ring, you have to determine how your promise ring correlates with this accepted practice. If you do not mind your promise ring being mistaken for an engagement ring or a wedding band – or if the nature of the vow implies strong similarities with engagement or marriage – the choice is simple. You wear the promise Ring on your fourth (ring) finger of your left hand.

Otherwise you can wear the promise ring on the right ring finger, where its significance is less and it won’t be taken for an engagement ring.

This issue, in fact, can be quite sensitive. If the vows associated with your Promise Ring involve another person, it is a good idea to discuss with them, where you should wear your rings. It is very easy to get into trouble with your guy/girl on such issues.

The rules regarding other rings such as friendship rings are much more relaxed. These Promise Rings can really be worn on any finger ….. but again bear in mind that any ring worn on the ring (fourth) finger of the left hand will attract attention.

Usually, if a promise ring is worn on the left hand ring finger, it is then usually replaced with an engagement ring at the time of a more formal engagement.

As you can see from this, there are some people who believe that the wearing of a promise ring on the left hand ring finger could be confusing; people can mistake it for an engagement ring! You will therefore find a number of people wearing their (pre-engagement) Promise Ring on the ring finger of the right hand.

A Purity or Chastity Ring is worn as a commitment to abstain from sexual activity abstinence until marriage and there are other Promise Rings that symbolize other commitments such as abstinence from other habits like drinking or smoking. In such cases, the ring should ideally be worn on the left hand ring finger as it would then be replaced by a wedding band after marriage. If a promise ring is worn to signify abstinence from other habits, it can be worn on any finger – but the left hand ring finger is still preferred.

Friendship Rings of all kinds are given or exchanged between very close friends – with no romantic relationship involved. Such promise rings can be worn on any finger including the thumb. However, it is best to exclude the left ring finger to eliminate any misinterpretation or misunderstanding of romantic intentions.

http://www.ringswithlove.com/promise-rings/promise-rings-what-is-promise-ring/where-do-i-wear-my-ring-which-finger-do-i-wear-my-ring-on/

Re: Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by adebisicutie: 10:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
An engagement ring should be on the fourth finger from the thumb which is the ring finger. It's only in Nigeria that I've seen women putting their engagement ring on the 3rd finger and then move it to the forth when they get married. I once saw a woman telling another that it's not right for her to put her engagement ring on the ring finger and that told the girl to change it( people forever minding other's business),I was just thinking to myself that why do Nigerians copy a white tradition and then not even find out the proper way to do it undecided

2 Likes

Re: Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by ireneidiva(f): 3:37am On Oct 01, 2014
It is worn on the 4th finger.
Re: Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by Archildao: 3:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
It is worn on the ring finger
Re: Right Finger For An Engagement Ring,third Or Fourth Finger From The Thumb?? by Dyt(f): 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2016
The ring finger
There's an artery that leads straight to the heart
That feeling when that special man puts it there
Oh my butterflies

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

A Family Of 5 Just Survived This Frightful Crash In Lagos (photos) / My Friends First Son Doesn't Look Like Him Or His Wife, Should I Tell Him? / Man Sent To Prison For Failing To Marry A Lady He Got Pregnant In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.