Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

What Is Love? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is Love? (1288 Views)

What Is Love! / Is Love A Good Reason To Get Married? / What Is Love All About? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Love? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
you hear and say stuffs like 'i love you' , 'you are the love of my life' everyday.

for me, love is having something special in your heart for someone.

i once came across this humorous definition of love which goes thus '' a feeling you feel when you feel you are feeling something you've never felt before'' grin

i want to see love defined in your own words.
what is love to you? put it any way you deem fit.

RomanceLanders, what is love?
Re: What Is Love? by valmunich(m): 11:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
That butterfly feeling in your heart
Re: What Is Love? by Beennkumar(m): 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
I think it's simply a feeling of deep affection for someone or something, as the case may be.
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
KiddaBlingzz:
i want to see love defined in your own words.
what is love to you? put it any way you deem fit.

RomanceLanders, what is love?
Love is the extreme level of unconditionaless emotional attachment you have for someone or something which only few human are capable of attaining and fulfilling !!!
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
Love is loving your definition of love even if it doesn't really suit my own view of love.
Re: What Is Love? by handi(m): 12:13am On Oct 01, 2014
L:lies
O:of
V:various
E:emotiom
Re: What Is Love? by LogoDWhiz(m): 12:30am On Oct 01, 2014
Love happens when the tots of someone else encompasses your mind.
You always think of the person, you can sacrifice yourself for the person.

The wellbeing and and care of the person becomes your duty.

You have this added responsibility for someone else.

See, love can't be defined jor.

One thing for sure is that, it starts out as a crush, then d likeness increases. If its mutual then, things can lead to love.

It becomes love when u truly fall in 'love' and u continue to grow in love, through thick and thin.
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 12:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Re: What Is Love? by Taleeysun(f): 12:41am On Oct 01, 2014
Love is the only word in the world with more than A MILLION Definition
Re: What Is Love? by willbob(m): 12:42am On Oct 01, 2014
Love is a strong feeling of desire and affection for somebody which could lead to minor mental drifts and complications. Love connects between the brain and the heart. It is sometimes associated with blindness. Love is wicked. Love have led to increase in psychiatric wards.
Re: What Is Love? by Wristler: 2:16am On Oct 01, 2014
Love is a choice, to believe in seeing and giving the best to another being. What we feel is the reward or gratification of this choice to believe.
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 01, 2014
love is evol...i.e love spelt backwards grin
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 3:23am On Oct 01, 2014
valmunich: That butterfly feeling in your heart
butterfly ko!!!butterfly ni
Mosquito feeling no dy?
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast;It is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. (ESV)

Might I also add, that there is no fear in love and there is no love in fear.
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:39am On Oct 01, 2014
willbob: Love is a strong feeling of desire and affection for somebody which could lead to minor mental drifts and complications. Love connects between the brain and the heart. It is sometimes associated with blindness. Love is wicked. Love have led to increase in psychiatric wards.

That's not Love. If it's not love, It's NOT.

The bible still gives one of the best, if not the best definition of love there is. More like a guide.
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:44am On Oct 01, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Love happens when the tots of someone else encompasses your mind.
You always think of the person, you can sacrifice yourself for the person.

The wellbeing and and care of the person becomes your duty.

You have this added responsibility for someone else.

See, love can't be defined jor.

One thing for sure is that, it starts out as a crush, then d likeness increases. If its mutual then, things can lead to love.

It becomes love when u truly fall in 'love' and u continue to grow in love, through thick and thin.

The bible clearly defines love. Even if it's in a romantic setting, that's what loving should be all about.

More oft than not, the things we define as love are mere infatuatory feelings which we mustn't make any tangible decision(s) based on.
Trust me, feelings change.

Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:45am On Oct 01, 2014
donroxy: Love is the extreme level of unconditionaless emotional attachment you have for someone or something which only few human are capable of attaining and fulfilling !!!

Are you saying there'd be no love, bar emotions?
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:48am On Oct 01, 2014
Beennkumar: I think it's simply a feeling of deep affection for someone or something, as the case may be.

More oft than not, when people define love and bring feelings to the fore, check it! You just might be infatuated.

Love is waayy beyond feelings.

Love is a Decision.
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 3:49am On Oct 01, 2014
valmunich: That butterfly feeling in your heart

It's called Infatuation wink
Re: What Is Love? by Pdizzle(m): 4:01am On Oct 01, 2014
This reminds me of those short documentaries where they ask people what is love, like the one in 'orange is the new black. I plan to do mine some day, maybe its nairalanders I'm even gonna put in the video.
For me love is a journey.. You two just have to keep going in the same direction..
Love is patient..
Love is kind..

1 Like

Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 4:23am On Oct 01, 2014
Pdizzle: This reminds me of those short documentaries where they ask people what is love, like the one in 'orange is the new black. I plan to do mine some day, maybe its nairalanders I'm even gonna put in the video.
For me love is a journey.. You two just have to keep going in the same direction..
Love is patient..
Love is kind..

Two + 1 thumbs up.
You have spoken well.
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 5:16am On Oct 01, 2014
MizMyColi:

Are you saying there'd be no love, bar emotions?
I don't think so ..... It begins with the ''emotion'' ........ What is your meaning to emotion ?
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 5:26am On Oct 01, 2014
Love...Can't really explain love; basically you just feel it.
Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 5:27am On Oct 01, 2014
MizMyColi: Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast;It is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. (ESV)

Might I also add, that there is no fear in love and there is no love in fear.
These are mere attributes of Love .... You haven't defined ''LOVE'' itself .... And this is exactly what bring many relationship down !! .... Cuz you will be expecting it not to be arrogant , fearful , envy , boastful, resentful .... Whereas :

A girl/guy can still ''love'' an abusive relationship .... Love doesn't require perfectness (Another area many people get it wrong) .........

We have seen girls who have much tingy for the bad-dude than the caring one and we all wonder why ? ..... A good girl will love you instead of loving her back , you will love another person ?

Love is a quality and unconditional ........ and I don't think everybody is capable of loving because for you to ''love'' you must be able to ''sacrifice'' infinitely and do it again and again without you ever feeling tired whether such love is reciprocated or not !!
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 5:31am On Oct 01, 2014
donroxy: I don't think so ..... It begins with the ''emotion'' ........ What is your meaning to emotion ?

Wikipedia deals with this exhaustivley:

In psychology and philosophy, emotion is a [size=14pt]subjective[/size], conscious experience characterized primarily by psychophysiological expressions, biological reactions, and mental states.

Emotion is often associated and considered reciprocally influential with mood, temperament, personality, disposition, and motivation. It also is influenced by hormones and neurotransmitters such as dopamine, noradrenaline, serotonin, oxytocin, cortisol and GABA. Emotion is often the driving force behind motivation, positive or negative. An alternative definition of emotion is a "positive or negative experience that is associated with a particular pattern of physiological activity."

While I agree with you, that it does begin with an emotion more oft than not, especially in romantic relationships.
You'd agree with me, that alot of things in those lines begin with similar emotions, for example, lust, infatuation.

I would that young people everywhere, begin to look at love as a decision rather than a feeling of sorts.
This tends to becloud our judgements and sense of rationalism.
Which is why you get to see so many irksome ills in society today, all in the name of love.

1 Like

Re: What Is Love? by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 01, 2014
MizMyColi:

Wikipedia deals with this exhaustivley:

While I agree with you, that it does begin with an emotion more oft than not, especially in romantic relationships.
You'd agree with me, that alot of things in those lines begin with similar emotions, for example, lust, infatuation.

I would that young people everywhere, begin to look at love as a decision rather than a feeling of sorts.
This tends to becloud our judgements and sense of rationalism.
Which is why you get to see so many irksome ills in society today, all in the name of love.
Please I would love to have ''your own'' understanding of ''emotion'' next time not wikipaedia's !

There is thin line of difference between lust,love and infatuation and that is why majority of people have been unable to find true love because the difference is not easily spotted even by experts .. (infact, most relationship expert don't even have good home ) ..

What brings the confusion is that all these concepts have ''emotions'' as the basic factor underlying them !

In my own understanding of emotion :

Emotion is a feeling that is biased in nature thus compromise good judgement ... That is why we tagged some people ''foolish in love'' how could a guy plaster your face like this and you still crying to go back ?

Lust is conditional i.e you have something that actually attracted you to such person e.g beauty,physique,money , sex skills etc and where those factors aint no more or you grow tired of them then the fire goes with it but Love aint like that ......

Infatuation is simply addictive expression of feelings and when one has this burning desire to always express love then it can also lead to infatuation !!
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 6:13am On Oct 01, 2014
donroxy: These are mere attributes of Love .... You haven't defined ''LOVE'' itself .... And this is exactly what bring many relationship down !! .... Cuz you will be expecting it not to be arrogant , fearful , envy , boastful, resentful .... Whereas :

A girl/guy can still ''love'' an abusive relationship .... Love doesn't require perfectness (Another area many people get it wrong) .........

Somone said, "Love is not about loving the perfect person, but loving the imperfect person the perfect way.
Does that resonate? smiley

We have seen girls who have much tingy for the bad-dude than the caring one and we all wonder why ?

Love is a quality and unconditional ........ For better for worse right ?

Y'see, let's face it.
Girls who have a thing for clearly bad people or people who would not return their love have this mindset, more like a corruption that needs changing.
Until they do, they might keep attracting the wrong set of people into their lives.

Ideally, no body loves BAD.
No girl, no matter how infamous wants to settle for less (character wise).
Every girl wants to settle with that man who feels she's worth the chase (I stand to be corrected here).

Take a look scruitinising look at the lives of the girls you've just described, something is fundamentally wrong, which they (the girls) might not realize.
Deep down, they place little or no value on themselves.
Fro some reason, they'v believed the lie that they deserve jut about anything.
They feel that these bad guys are doing them a favor by even looking at them.

I won't say more on this.
This thread does a good job at that. https://www.nairaland.com/1893006/8-reasons-people-often-stay
Please take time to read before replying, thanks.

Love in its simplest definition is a strong feeling of affection or endearment toward another.
I went ahead to use those attributes as a definition because, you'd agree with me, that the definition above fits lust and infatuation too.
The only defining difference here would be, time.

Y'know, I like that you put "love" in quote, in that girls case.
She might love him, yes. but does he love her in return?
This is where wisdom and rationality come into play.
Oh, add self control to the list too.

Love.....joy......peace......patience......kindness.......goodness........faithfulness........gentleness.......and self-control.
^^^ This is what love and loving should be all about.

Truth is, no one is perfect.
But then, whether we agree or not, we're all striving towards one form of ideal or another.
Marriage for example, I believe that the whole essence of marriage is to love as the creator loves,
In pain, In gain, In summer, In rain.

Like C.S Lewis said and I quote:
If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world

It is my belief that we were created in another, that this one we're in is transient.
In this other world, Love is our nature, our default setting, before it recieved some form of corruption which we're working at expunging, seeing as every normal human being is trying to be better, in the ways he/she can of course, someday, sometme, I believe we'll reach that state of perfection, of LOVE. Until then, we must never stop trying to walk this path of love, using its attributes as our guide.
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 6:27am On Oct 01, 2014
donroxy:

Please I would love to have ''your own'' understanding of ''emotion'' next time not wikipaedia's !

There might not be a next time.
Sometimes, when you lack the words to express a thought process, referencing is never a bad idea.
Besides, I bet you, that your own definition of emotion, even if I 'm yet to read, is covered in wikipedia's definition wink

There is thin line of difference between lust,love and infatuation and that is why majority of people have been unable to find true love because the difference is not easily spotted even by experts .. (infact, most relationship expert don't even have good home ) ..

No Hun, there is a big fat line.
We keep using this excuse because we don't wanna apply our sense of reason and rationality.
Ultimately, Time Always Tells Which It Is.

What brings the confusion is that all these concepts have ''emotions'' as the basic factor underlying them !

There's no confusion in love, if it's love, there's no confusion.
Which is why I maintain that Love is Beyond Emotions.
We need to stop putting love at par with infatuation and lust.
That's an insalt to the greatest force our universe has and will ever know wink

In my own understanding of emotion :

Emotion is a feeling that is biased in nature thus compromise good judgement ... That is why we tagged some people ''foolish in love'' how could a guy plaster your face like this and you still crying to go back ?

The difference between yours and wikipedia is English letters. Theirs is more exhaustive btw, which is why I used it. Nice try.

Lust is conditional i.e you have something that actually attracted you to such person e.g beauty,physique,money , sex skills etc and where those factors aint no more or you grow tired of them then the fire goes with it but Love aint like that ......

Exaccerly grin
That's when Love becomes a decison.

Infatuation is simply addictive expression of feelings and when one has this burning desire to always express love then it can also lead to infatuation !!

Agreed!
Re: What Is Love? by Tallesty1(m): 6:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Love is a changeable and unreliable emotiongrin

Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 6:30am On Oct 01, 2014
glitest: Love...Can't really explain love; basically you just feel it.
You feel alot of things too.
Love is a decision, beyond the feelings.
Feelings Change.

1 Like

Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 6:30am On Oct 01, 2014

“Our most basic emotional need is not to fall in love but to be genuinely loved by another, to know a love that grows out of reason and choice, not instinct. I need to be loved by someone who chooses to love
me, who sees in me something worth loving.”

“Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment. It is a choice to show mercy, not to hold the offense up against the offender. Forgiveness is an expression of
love.”

“People tend to criticize their spouse most loudly in the area where they themselves have the deepest emotional need.”

“The object of love is not getting something you want but doing something for the well-being of the one you
love.”

[size=16pt]“In fact, true love cannot begin until the in-love experience has run its course.”[/size]

Excerpts from Gary Chapman's "Five Love Languages"
Re: What Is Love? by MizMyColi(f): 6:33am On Oct 01, 2014
Tallesty1: Love Feelings is a changeable and unreliable emotiongrin

FiXED! grin

God is love, remember wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did She Do That??? / Help A Brother To Overcome The Weakness With Girls / An Eye Opener: Has It Been Limerence Or Crush All This While...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.