Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University (77034 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / 12 Things Successful Nigerians Never Reveal About Themselves / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by agrovick(m): 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2014
missberrypop5: lol, what are the guesses, hope it's a chineke guess o grin. Well, when i was registering i didn't have any username in mind, so i just placed in whatever came into my head, so i was taking a strawberry lollipop when i was registering and took the "berry" and "pop" to create one. This is the end of my story grin
hahaha, my guesses though; i guessed u love strawberries, popcorn and 5 happens to be ur favorite number. How was your day

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Jasi7(m): 11:08pm On Oct 01, 2014
sexzskil: It is either this op has no hope of going to a university or failed badly while there.

i read ur profile...dat CGPA u go in 100lvl why was it so?...and did u graduate with d first class finally?...if not den a topic like this is for u gaddamn it!
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by terrymason(m): 11:13pm On Oct 01, 2014
Its so pathetic how people can't see the answer to this simple question... Have even written some article on this issue, let me tell you folks education is "a"(one of d)keys to success, you being educated does not guarantee success, let ours be logical here 'having a key and you can't locate the right door to open with it, what does that make you?. That is how education act. But atleast education ensure ours with a key... So what's the other KEY to success? Okay I know you are anxious to know it, relax folks, the other key to success is your MINDSET, you might be wondering why! Okay let me explain, you having a wrong mindset about life can really HURT you. (E.g *some1 with d wrong mindset will think that to make 1million is so so hard, and he gives up hope, giving up hope we only make you not to work hard towards your aim since you didn't set any before).
Am sorry but am tired writing, JUST HAVE A RIGHT MINDSET FOR YOUR LIFE AND SUCCESS WILL RUN LOOKING FOR YOU. But don't confuse mindset and mere wises!!!
Goodnight...

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Dyoungstar: 11:22pm On Oct 01, 2014
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

Don jazzy cant make music without some software developer
Coscharis cant sell cars without the engineers who made the cars
Famfa oil cant do business without the oil engineers
Mercy Johnson cant have Big braests without Dr 90210 tongue tongue

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahaha

If mercy Johnson catch you enh, you go tell am whether na you carry her go Dr. 90210 place.

etc etc etc

I will rather go to school
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by lyricalpontiff(m): 11:23pm On Oct 01, 2014
Cool
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 01, 2014
Op forget! These are just d lucky ones,try go school huh,I pray to be a graduate soon after 2 extra years in d university.
Is good to be educated u will have some degree of respect.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by lacastre: 12:29am On Oct 02, 2014
@op d place of education cannot be jeopardize, all ur uneducated pple has a limited stage they can rise to. For instance, let Alakija be d Richest in d world,she can't b commissioner of finance for a state, let alone country not to talk of world bank.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 12:49am On Oct 02, 2014
mrs oluwemimo akinleye

dropped out of primary school to start her own business now she is a multi millionaire in naira
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Unclerukus: 2:39am On Oct 02, 2014
All those who have failed jamb repeatedly or those who didn't have the opportunity to experience the uniqueness of the four walls of a university and campus always bank on this point to ease their frustrations. They won't want to say it but most of the degree critics would definitely FLY at the chance to have a university degree if time could be reversed. Ignorant bunch in here,Nigeria is very harsh to entrepreneurs with little or no capital venture,you think you are abroad, clap for yourselves,don't worry send your children to learn trades and give them 20 thousand naira to maintain the business,poverty will be your companion,go and check the background of all those Nigeria's great and powerful. Bunch of frustrated losers.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 02, 2014
sexzskil: WHAT THIS SHORSIGHTED OP FAILED TO MENTION IS THAT, ALL THOSE ''UNEDUCATED'' SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE HE LISTED WILL HANG THEMSELVES TO SEND THEIR CHILDREN TO THE BEST SCHOOLS IN THE WORLD. NEXT TIME, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

EDUCATION IS TOTALLY INDISPENSABLE! UNIVERSITIES HAS BEEN IN EXISTENCE FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN IMAGINED, IT IS BECAUSE IT HAS A COLOSSAL USE. MY 2 KOBO.

MIND U, THE BIGGEST CELEBRITIES IN THE WORLD TODAY WHO WERE DROP OUT ARE STILL YEARNING FOR SCHOOLING. ALL NAIJA SO-CALLED CELEBS WHO WERE ALSO DROP OUT ALL SEEK TO GO BACK TO THE UNIVERSITY. INCASE U DON'T KNOW, 2 FACE IS ASPIRING TO STUDY LAW, 9ICE WANTS GO TO SCHOOL IN MINEAPOLIS, ETC, ETC. THEY SHOULD HAVE JUST RELAXED SINCE THEY ARE MADE MEN, NO! THEY STILL WANT 2 GO TO SCHOOL.

FACT REMAINS; '' EDUCATION IN A SCHOOL IS THE BIGGEST LEGACY YOU CAN PASS ON TO YOUR WARDS''.

You are the one that appears short sighted. You should learn that EDUCATION can be got anywhere but DEGREE from a tertiary education.

With your kind of mentality, some people cheat in every exams just to get a degree and end up getting no education.

Education is key to success, not degree.

I know mechanical engineers who rely on roadside mechanics.

I know English graduates who misuse tenses

I know music graduates who can't identify the Middle C on a piano.

Don Jazzy is not a music graduate but has an education in music. He plays the piano well and his musical production skill is great. Remember there are music grads who cannot even identify a chord but who have the degree. Universities in foreign countries with music department that have room for African Music Studies would prefer to invite a Don Jazzy to teach its students than invite a music grad who has just a degree to show.

Some of the best software engineers in the world are educated in writing softwares but they don't have a degree. Talk of John Carmack (Most of his contributions are enjoyed by your little ones and maybe even you in the form of video games). Zawinski contributed to Mozilla.

My point is that EDUCATION goes beyond getting a degree.

Nigeria has more university grads than even US but how have you converted your degrees into job creations? Only real education can help you do that.

2 Likes

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Princecalm(m): 7:59am On Oct 02, 2014
100Cents:

If educated people are being called out, will you include a Primary school certificate holder ?

One thing in life is that every man grows up with a personal conviction. Whatever you believe works for you. There is no need smearing your conviction on other people with opposing views. If you remain positive, you get positive results. If you are pessimistic, you get negative results. Ultimately, man is the architect of his destiny..

For me, the passion I have for success makes me understand that success does not come by going to school. Infact I can comfortably sell my certificate because I know I must succeed in business..
then tell me the where the foundation of education lies in Nigeria.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by iamdsam: 8:40am On Oct 02, 2014
Are you making good use of these things already created or manufactured for the betterment of your life like them. To post is cheap.
rattlesnake: But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

etc etc etc

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by chycco: 10:18am On Oct 02, 2014

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by ogmask: 12:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
sorom4: This Op may have been expelled 4m the University or may have failed JAMB severally. EDUCATION shapes your thinking and prepares you for life. Bn UNEDUCATED is a cankerworm

In what sense does it shape ur thinking.
One must not go to the university to be educated. Most of the billionairs in the world today either dropped out of sch or ddnt go at all. So whats ur point realy?

The best brains frm our universities end up working for those who had 3rd, pass or dropped out/never went to sch.

For me if u want to work for wages its ur choice how u go abt it. But u can be who u want to be if u learn the art of business. This has nothing to do u sch, university especially.
You can never be richer than ur employer. You have to think out of the box to be financially free. financial freedom is not thought in any sch.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by ShakurM(m): 1:17pm On Oct 02, 2014

etc etc etc

that doesn't mean 'those pple' are behind their success! Depends on ur definition of success.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 02, 2014
Justice629: Education is considered by many Nigerians to be the gateway to success and the passport to a better life. Debunking this myth that one cannot be successful without a formal education are these successful Nigerians who have been able to survive life’s challenges and cross the hurdle of a formal education to become who they are today. Take a look at some of Nigeria’s most successful individuals who didn’t have formal education or complete schooling experiences.

Mercy Johnson
Mercy Johnson, is a Nigerian actress who made her acting debut in the movie, “The Maid” in which she played the role of a possessed house help. Her performance in the movie shot her into the limelight and has acted in other major movies ever since. Mercy reveals she got into the Nigerian movie industry (Nollywood) because she failed her Jamb exam. Johnson has appeared in over 60 movies.

Cosmos-Maduka:
If you are a lover of cars then you are certain to have heard of the name Cosmos Maduka. He is the founder of Coscharis Group, which is the sole distributor of BMW vehicles in West Africa. He dropped out of elementary school and became an apprentice at a tender age of seven. Today he sits atop one of the biggest conglomerates that Nigeria can boast of.

Vincent Obianobo:
The name Vincent Obianobo might not sound familiar but you can’t help but to have heard of his transportation company “The Young Shall Grow Motors.” He is also the owner of Rockview hotels and his transport company is supposedly the largest in Nigeria. This astute businessman had humble beginnings and not much education but today, he is one of Nigeria’s most successful businessmen.

Folorunsho Alakija:
Ranked not only as Nigeria’s richest woman, according to Forbes ratings, Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija is Africa’s richest woman. The wealthy billionaire who as at 2012 is estimated to be worth $2.5 billion revealed recently that she never attended a university. She made this revelation at the United Nations International Youth Day held at the University of Lagos.

http://www.chichinwaafrica.com/2014/09/meet-8-very-successful-nigerians-who.html?m=1
you called all millionaires and billionaires here didn't you..please remove mercy Johnson and donjazzy they are not millionaires or billionaires like the people you called.and donjazzy was ranked 2 bankable artist and not 2nd bankable rich man in Nigeria or millionaire in Nigeria..education is still the best.for those of you whom think music industry or movie is what gives money you're wronged..those works are for people who didn't finish school or have lost hopes they got into music to become fame

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by sunnyprof: 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
Well for the list, I wish I could do what they did... find out !!

But I can tell you that all of them made sure their Children are well-schooled too. Ask why?

The uneducated rich men will confess to you, if you ask, they wish they had formal education. A fact.

So what are we saying (my opinion): Even if you want to be a Vulcanizer, get educated as well, it will help a lot.

PERIOD.

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by rhames(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2014
Robert Kiyosaki once wrote a book titled " If You Want To Be Rich And Happy, Dont Go To School'.
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Mavrick2012: 7:19pm On Oct 02, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Many graduates are also living below the poverty lines
chief,pls dnt allow any of ur child and grand children to school.
LIFE IS NOT ALL ABOUT MONEY
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 7:23pm On Oct 02, 2014
Mavrick2012:
chief,pls dnt allow any of ur child and grand children to school.
LIFE IS NOT ALL ABOUT MONEY

its not all about university schooling too
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by billionsam(m): 8:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
they left sch

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Mavrick2012: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

its not all about university schooling too
you right sir,
but,i will rather go for an isaac newton than a bill gate.
A galileo galilei is far more than dangotes.
I repeat,life IS NOT all about money
lol
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
Mavrick2012: you right sir,
but,i will rather go for an isaac newton than a bill gate.
A galileo galilei is far more than dangotes.
I repeat,life IS NOT all about money
lol

What is the highest educational qualification of newton? Shakespeare?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by Mavrick2012: 8:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

What is the highest educational qualification of newton? Shakespeare?
sir Isaac Newton:barchelor of art degree(trinity college,cambrdge)Aug 1665.
Master of art 1668.
professor of mathematics 1669.
sir,am not attempting to prove that only graduates can make money,NO!
Their are lots of rich mechanics,welders,spare-part dealers etc.
This is my point;we should be promoting the need for formal-education among our youths,threads like this poses threat to education.
Life is beyond making money alone,this mind-set is fueled by economic poverty.
mongo pack was never a rich man,those that entered space never made forbs richest list,but education/school opened/stimulated/encouraged them,also in medicine,engineering,nuclear physics etc.
lol

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by charzyh2: 9:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
Unclerukus: All those who have failed jamb repeatedly or those who didn't have the opportunity to experience the uniqueness of the four walls of a university and campus always bank on this point to ease their frustrations. They won't want to say it but most of the degree critics would definitely FLY at the chance to have a university degree if time could be reversed. Ignorant bunch in here,Nigeria is very harsh to entrepreneurs with little or no capital venture,you think you are abroad, clap for yourselves,don't worry send your children to learn trades and give them 20 thousand naira to maintain the business,poverty will be your companion,go and check the background of all those Nigeria's great and powerful. Bunch of frustrated losers.
can you see what we're saying? When you've never lost, how are you expected to maintain success? The people listed by the op are never afraid of failure.
Michael Jordan said and I quote: "I failed several times, that is why I succeed".
Are you ready to leave the 9-5 rat race?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by charzyh2: 10:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
chycco: 'look before u leap' and who told you that Dr, orji uzor kalu is uneducated?
Well it might interest you to know that Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu holds a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree in Political Science from the Catholic University, Washington, USA and MBA certificate from the Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration, Boston Massachusetts, USA. Dr. Kalu is a member of the Institute of Directors and other numerous professional bodies.
Next time do your research proper before update @op
Uzor Kalu was uneducated until he became a multi billionaire. He pursued education when he wanted to join politics. So, you're the one to go for extensive research
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by lymelyte(m): 3:13am On Oct 05, 2014
charzyh2:

Uzor Kalu was uneducated until he became a multi billionaire. He pursued education when he wanted to join politics. So, you're the one to go for extensive research
y are you contradicting yourself.. If education is not important , then why did he go back to school?
Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by charzyh2: 4:18am On Oct 05, 2014
lymelyte:
y are you contradicting yourself.. If education is not important , then why did he go back to school?
don't get me wrong. I never said education is not important. The world is an investment paradise. Regardless of who you are, you can succeed in Nigeria.
To make my point clear, Your destiny is not tied to school

1 Like

Re: Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University by SenatorJames(m): 7:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
rattlesnake:
But somebody else who went to university on their behalf was behind their success...... undecided

etc etc etc

True talk.

For every successful uneducated person, there is 1000 unfortunate ones.

The bible says "chance and time happeneth to them all"

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude? / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.