Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,004 members, 7,814,424 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview (19062 Views)

Secretary Screaming Loud Under The Influence Of Bad Boss In Office / How To Spot A Bad Boss Before You Start A New Job / How To Spot A Bad Boss Before You Start A New Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nutase: 6:49am On Oct 02, 2014
Vanellope: .
3. They ask illegal interview questions.
If a manager asks questions about your religion, credit history, or marital status, it’s a good sign the manager isn’t trained on ethical interview practices.
4. They ask simple interview questions.
A good manager asks interview questions that challenge candidates to showcase their expertise. However, if the manager asks questions they could find answers to in your resume or cover letter, it’s a sign they’re not putting effort into learning about your experience.

Point 3 and 4 above are like 5% true.
Firstly note that an interview offers you a very short period to ascertain the suitability of a 'stranger' to fill a job positions. Different positions require different questions. Their is no 'one size fits all' question.
Their is nothing like an illegal question. Questions like your credit history can give an insight to your level of prudence etc also questions on your religous belief can help an interviewer ascertain your suitability to fill a position.
Secondly 'simple' interview questions are the most dangerous, especially questions about things on ur CV. One of the most common examples is the question on your age. Most interviewers would scrutinize your integrity from your age and this is done from the dates of your academic qualification eg Musa was born in 1990 an finished primary school in 1997 from the above Musa skipped nursery school and started primary school at age 1. Musa must have been born a 'genius'. Musa has already been disqualified from what he wrote on his CV.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Xtfield(m): 7:22am On Oct 02, 2014
chinex276: Dats why its gud 2 be skilled (handwork), be ur own boss nd 4got doze arrogant errand boys dats parade demselves with suit nd tie dat luks lyk cutlass.
I worked as a cleaner at leadership news paper after my sec.SCHOOL, nd i know wat it takes 2 be a common cleaner, even a typist would want 2 tell u nonsence, even d GMD of d company was such an arrogant man, he talks 2 u as if he was talking d a dog, d day i knew all those big men in dat organisatn was d day dey were aving a meeting with a whyt man, o'boy come see inferiority complex at its peak, d whyt dude was jus comanding d pot bellied guys up 2 d point of telling him 2 pick d waste bin in d board room wea d meeting is 2 be held nd keep outsyd... D only thing i was hearing frm my ogas was: "YES SIR, YES sir, yes sir, yes sir"
2day i am an a boss nd nobody comes 2 my office no matter hw small it is nd spit shait... Even oga jona.
The question is now that you are now an oga yourself how do you treat your employees?

3 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by cwitch: 7:32am On Oct 02, 2014
Vanellope: Horrible bosses are too common in the workplace. In fact, one out of five workers have had a bad boss.

When searching for a new job, it’s important to find one you’ll enjoy and a boss who is a pleasure to work for. While it’s not always easy to have the best of both worlds, there are a few warning signs of a bad boss you can spot during a job interview:

1. They arrive late to the job interview without notice.

When a manager shows up late to an interview without informing you, you’re probably safe to assume he doesn’t value your time. Additionally, this behavior might be a sign the manager doesn’t enjoy his job.

2. They display poor body language.

Is the manager constantly watching the clock? Did they avoid making eye contact with you during the interview? This type of negative body language is a strong sign that the manager isn’t interested in performing the job interview.

If a manager asks questions about your religion, credit history, or marital status, it’s a good sign the manager isn’t trained on ethical interview practices.

A good manager asks interview questions that challenge candidates to showcase their expertise. However, if the manager asks questions they could find answers to in your resume or cover letter, it’s a sign they’re not putting effort into learning about your experience.

5. They lack a clear vision for the company.

Does the manager have a difficult time explaining the company’s mission or culture? It could be a sign they don’t know what’s going on within their own company.

6. Their office is extremely disorganized.

Do you walk into the office and there are messy piles of papers left and right? Does everything just seem cluttered? If a manager can’t gain control of his office, it might be a sign he doesn’t have control of his team.

7. They won’t tell you why the last employee left.

During the job interview, it’s OK to ask about employee turnover. However, if the manager refuses to answer your question or makes a rude remark, it might be a sign that the company isn’t a good place to work for.

8. They can’t answer your questions about the position.

If you constantly stump the manager with questions about the position or company, it’s a good sign he's not very engaged with his work.

9. They display red flags of previous bosses you’ve had.

Although it’s important to go into each job interview with an open mind, you want to be aware of familiar characteristics of a bad boss.

For example, does the manager seem scatter-brained during the job interview? This characteristic might remind you of a previous boss you had who was disorganized and failed to lead your old team.

10. They can’t tell you how you’d fit into the organization.

If you ask the manager what goals they’d have for you once hired and they can’t provide a response, it’s a good sign that the position you applied for isn’t a priority for them.

What are some ways you’ve spotted a bad boss during a job interview?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Sunday17: 7:34am On Oct 02, 2014
Am Still an undergraduate. Before getting to that firm that av been proposed for me to work.. the bad boss their would have left or better off retire for good one. I don't wanna Av experience of such... coz am already having experience of bad lectural nd I don't want to add that of boss to it.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by timilehing(m): 7:36am On Oct 02, 2014
I know how to handle them
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Missmossy(f): 8:10am On Oct 02, 2014
Interestingcheesy not all bosses will want to give an impression of being nice and friendly,they may give all these hints to appear tough but in reality they are softies. With time,one will get to decipher all of that.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by darlingnuel(m): 8:12am On Oct 02, 2014
chinex276: Dats why its gud 2 be skilled (handwork), be ur own boss nd 4got doze arrogant errand boys dats parade demselves with suit nd tie dat luks lyk cutlass.
I worked as a cleaner at leadership news paper after my sec.SCHOOL, nd i know wat it takes 2 be a common cleaner, even a typist would want 2 tell u nonsence, even d GMD of d company was such an arrogant man, he talks 2 u as if he was talking d a dog, d day i knew all those big men in dat organisatn was d day dey were aving a meeting with a whyt man, o'boy come see inferiority complex at its peak, d whyt dude was jus comanding d pot bellied guys up 2 d point of telling him 2 pick d waste bin in d board room wea d meeting is 2 be held nd keep outsyd... D only thing i was hearing frm my ogas was: "YES SIR, YES sir, yes sir, yes sir"
2day i am an a boss nd nobody comes 2 my office no matter hw small it is nd spit shait... Even oga jona.
Your signature took me down d memory lane... Good ol' days! I miss!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by chinex276(m): 8:43am On Oct 02, 2014
Xtfield: The question is now that you are now an oga yourself how do you treat your employees?
trust me... I am d best oga anyone can eva dream of, although i dnt take shiiit, i am nt arrogant, nd i treat everyone equally as i will treat myself, i take dem as my blood... And they are all happy.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 02, 2014

Chai! English language. Lord have mercy. What did you write in actual sense?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by chinex276(m): 9:40am On Oct 02, 2014
[quote author=iamchiddy][/quote]
ur a fool nd u shoul be happy i quote u..
Dnt eva in ur misirable nd tartad lyf eva quote my post again unless u want 2 make sence which is very rear 4 u type.
#anuOFIA
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by saintneo(m): 9:52am On Oct 02, 2014
20pounds: OP, I am sorry, but I don't think you made sense. Some bosses do this to unsettle prospective job seekers or lure them into a false sense of security. If you feel the place and job is what you need, don't fall for what you see on interviews.

I like the picture that accompany your post. The shoes on those chaps and socks! I have a thing for shoes and matching socks.

True but when a manager is really interested in hiring you, this act will die a natural death within some few seconds. I have seen good and bad managers, and I can tell that the good manager I had made me a C. Ronaldo.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by fpeter(f): 10:36am On Oct 02, 2014
How do you answer some difficult interview questions such as:

1) Why did you leave your former job
2) How much would you like to earn?
3) Your strengths and weaknesses
4) What you intend to bring to the company

How do you answer these questions without sounding like a broken record?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Spidermon: 10:44am On Oct 02, 2014
If the pay is good and the working conditions (things I need to function) are alright, then I can manage a bad boss. Once in a while when he overplays his hand, I will tactically call him to order. I dey find work pass to dey do shakara.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by VivaLaFrans: 10:48am On Oct 02, 2014
Vanellope: Horrible bosses are too common in the workplace. In fact, one out of five workers have had a bad boss.

When searching for a new job, it’s important to find one you’ll enjoy and a boss who is a pleasure to work for. While it’s not always easy to have the best of both worlds, there are a few warning signs of a bad boss you can spot during a job interview:

When a manager shows up late to an interview without informing you, you’re probably safe to assume he doesn’t value your time. Additionally, this behavior might be a sign the manager doesn’t enjoy his job.

Is the manager constantly watching the clock? Did they avoid making eye contact with you during the interview? This type of negative body language is a strong sign that the manager isn’t interested in performing the job interview.

Does the manager have a difficult time explaining the company’s mission or culture? It could be a sign they don’t know what’s going on within their own company.

Do you walk into the office and there are messy piles of papers left and right? Does everything just seem cluttered? If a manager can’t gain control of his office, it might be a sign he doesn’t have control of his team.

During the job interview, it’s OK to ask about employee turnover. However, if the manager refuses to answer your question or makes a rude remark, it might be a sign that the company isn’t a good place to work for.

If you constantly stump the manager with questions about the position or company, it’s a good sign he's not very engaged with his work.

Although it’s important to go into each job interview with an open mind, you want to be aware of familiar characteristics of a bad boss.

For example, does the manager seem scatter-brained during the job interview? This characteristic might remind you of a previous boss you had who was disorganized and failed to lead your old team.

If you ask the manager what goals they’d have for you once hired and they can’t provide a response, it’s a good sign that the position you applied for isn’t a priority for them.

Do they allow those being interviewed to ask questions. Hmm... A bad boss may unleash hell on you that day.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by dustydee: 11:22am On Oct 02, 2014

Another one agian.
OP, the least you could do is to acknowledge the source of this information. It is wrong for you to quote someone's work verbatim and not acknowledge them - that is called stealing or plagiarism.

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140930113457-10999323-how-to-spot-a-bad-boss-during-a-job-interview
http://www.gilmorepartners.com/content/article/how-spot-bad-boss-during-job-interview

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Joslyn(f): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2014
Odilafta: They downgrade you at the slightest chance

They ask question and are impatient to receive an answer.

They are harsh,proud and dictative and no matter how hard you try to impress them,they just won't notice.
You just described my former boss.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by luvola(m): 3:10pm On Oct 02, 2014
20pounds: OP, I am sorry, but I don't think you made sense. Some bosses do this to unsettle prospective job seekers or lure them into a false sense of security. If you feel the place and job is what you need, don't fall for what you see on interviews.

I like the picture that accompany your post. The shoes on those chaps and socks! I have a thing for shoes and matching socks.
Order quality footwears from.olak store #Free
delivery service#.Biz line.07089328564 :* pin
746f8f4c kindly rbc
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by usefaith(m): 3:28pm On Oct 02, 2014
hi everyone,

I am seriously in need of a real estate job
Qualification: HND
Graduate member, Nigeria Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers (NIESV)
Member, Nigeria Instiute of Management (NIM)

Any available link would be highly appreciated
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by kaillybatt: 3:35pm On Oct 02, 2014
generally company that lacks constant services and product innovation are responsible for Poor quality.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by KaiMallam: 3:39pm On Oct 02, 2014
I was to be hired by a prestigious PR firm recently; arguably the best in its industry in the entire country. I had received word prior that the boss of the firm had a short fuse and was fond of making a mess of his subordinates but I thought I could endure due to the fact that I was raised with tough love by my parents. Thankfully, the boss wasn't in the country when the HR firm sent me an email asking that I resume work. However, I deliberately did not honour the email for two vital reasons that I hoped the boss would understand on his return. On his return, I got a first-hand experience of his vitriolic spewing of lava in 3D! There and then, I made up my mind I wasn't going to work with someone like him even though that job was one I had hoped for as a dream job. It was all I could ever ask for in career growth in an organised setting. He followed up with an email afterwards telling me that the offer was still open for the taking and would like to know if I still wanted the job and when I would like to resume. I didn't go into lengthy explanations since he seemed to have missed the reasons I pointed out in a previous email just after the encounter with him; I promptly declined the offer in a polite tone. Working with such a boss would only undermine one's growth and it would shrink one's confidence.

Just sharing my experience on this topic....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Ridwan123(m): 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2014
Am travelling for ileya...and I may decide to stay for 2weeks... you know why? Am selfemployed... Fu*k bad boss
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by AriDsexy(f): 4:21pm On Oct 02, 2014
nenergy: Makes me remember horrible bosses. Nowadays, companies outsource recruitments, so the chances of seeing that nice interviewer again is almost 0.
Even those outsourcing companies have people that will interview u....talking from experience.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by AriDsexy(f): 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2014
Missmossy: Interestingcheesy not all bosses will want to give an impression of being nice and friendly,they may give all these hints to appear tough but in reality they are softies. With time,one will get to decipher all of that.
Ur very right....sometimes I don't even like women interviewing me cos I feel they can be very strict and tough but really d ones I've come across were very nice and friendly.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
KaiMallam: I was to be hired by a prestigious PR firm recently; arguably the best in its industry in the entire country. I had received word prior that the boss of the firm had a short fuse and was fond of making a mess of his subordinates but I thought I could endure due to the fact that I was raised with tough love by my parents. Thankfully, the boss wasn't in the country when the HR firm sent me an email asking that I resume work. However, I deliberately did not honour the email for two vital reasons that I hoped the boss would understand on his return. On his return, I got a first-hand experience of his vitriolic spewing of lava in 3D! There and then, I made up my mind I wasn't going to work with someone like him even though that job was one I had hoped for as a dream job. It was all I could ever ask for in career growth in an organised setting. He followed up with an email afterwards telling me that the offer was still open for the taking and would like to know if I still wanted the job and when I would like to resume. I didn't go into lengthy explanations since he seemed to have missed the reasons I pointed out in a previous email just after the encounter with him; I promptly declined the offer in a polite tone. Working with such a boss would only undermine one's growth and it would shrink one's confidence.

Just sharing my experience on this topic....

A very interesting piece indeed. A million na-job-I-need dudes would kill for that job. Your action must have in some way set the guy straight.
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by McWhillion(m): 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2014
youngwolf: I once had an interview with a big four audit firm. When I entered d partners office he told me he just finished eating cake, so I was even happy tot he was in good mood. Dats was how the interview started, he started picking out the mistakes n flaws in my application form and transcript. Eg he said.."I know u met all the requirements for this job but I don't think you re good enuf", I asked why sir ..." He said u don't have enough As in your WAEC result..he was saying I had a 2.1 but my CGPA was not strong enough.
All in all he was jus trying to tell me he can't employ me for reasons best known to him alone. But I wondered during the interview why I was not asked a single question that tests my competency or knowledge at all.
Its all good now. I know better offers will come
And this is another reason why job seekers should always carry a gun to interviews.
Aswear!!!
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by McWhillion(m): 7:02pm On Oct 02, 2014
idealsico: Bad bosses the likes of Engr. Emeka Unachukwu.
I'm sacking you first thing tomorrow morning, that's if I ven't done that already.

1 Like

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by wizzyblast(m): 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2014
bunmioguns: undecided

Lolz... Oops!! SACK!!!
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Ositades(m): 3:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
wen u work with a bad boss,u dread mondays....weekends and holidays are a solace. THEY INSULT,TAUNT YOU,HAUNT YOU..LOL. the whole work place will be boring
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by SenatorJames(m): 10:18am On Oct 07, 2014
Vanellope:
Horrible bosses are too common in the workplace. In fact, one out of five workers have had a bad boss.

Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by SenatorJames(m): 10:20am On Oct 07, 2014
Vanellope:
Horrible bosses are too common in the workplace. In fact, one out of five workers have had a bad boss.

After noticing these things, what should a potential employee do next? Or its just for knowing sake?
Re: How To Spot A Bad Boss During A Job Interview by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 07, 2014
SenatorJames:
After noticing these things, what should a potential employee do next? Or its just for knowing sake?

It's funny that many think we have no choice but to take the job, even when we know we're gonna have a hard time working for the said company. I have however noticed that employers often have great regard for potential employees who stand up to them once in a while. No one is talking of rudeness here.

We're exploited every time because we believe we have no choice. Don't we?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Apply For Graduate Trainee At Atopet Automations Limited / #50,000 Job In Ibadan And #100,000 Job In Lagos, Which Is Better ? / What Is The Implication Of Accepting A Job Without An Employment Letter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.